Pre-PA Paramedic Degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Parawhata?

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings, I am currently an advanced EMT and I am working towards my paramedic AAS degree. I will finish in August. I now realize that I would like to be a PA. my question is in August after my associates should I do a bachelors in paramedic care degree? The paramedic care degree would only take 2 additional years. Or should I go back and do a BS in Biology to get into school? Would the paramedic degree allow me to be competitive I have well over 3k Clinical hours and I would really like to get into the PA program at Duke. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the biggest concern is making sure your degree has all the required prerequisites. If some of the prerequisites are taught by the paramedic faculty and not the math/bio/chem/physics departments, then they may not count. I got into med school with a paramedic degree. It took some planning and extra classes outside the degree plan, but I made it happen.