Post-bacc or stay in the lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureMed2024

Reaction score
Hey guys... I am having the hardest time with this decision. I applied to a TON of medical schools both out of the US and in the US for the 2024-2025 application cycle, and was not admitted to a single US school, but was accepted to all schools out of the US. After weighing my options, I declined the schools outside of the US. I will be applying again to medical school in the next cycle with an improved MCAT score as I feel that my score was really holding me back. However, I am concerned that it could also be my GPA. I am wondering if I should use this time off to go and enroll in a post bacc program I was accepted into, or if I should stay in the research lab I am currently working in to save up money and get my publications up. Does anyone have experience with stats like mine that were accepted into medical school?

My cumulative GPA is around a 3.8, but my BCPM GPA is around a 2.8. If I get my MCAT up to a 510 or something in that range, do you think my GPA will be an issue still with publications and a great application? Should I take the post bacc? Or is staying at the lab while improving my MCAT fine? Any insight or experience with similar stats would be amazing.

Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Knowing your original MCAT would be helpful.

If you already have solid research experience (it appears you do), I'd maybe give the post-bacc a go. It'd be helpful to know maybe a little bit more about which classes you struggled in, including if you failed any.

Hey guys... I am having the hardest time with this decision. I applied to a TON of medical schools both out of the US and in the US for the 2024-2025 application cycle, and was not admitted to a single US school, but was accepted to all schools out of the US. After weighing my options, I declined the schools outside of the US. I will be applying again to medical school in the next cycle with an improved MCAT score as I feel that my score was really holding me back. However, I am concerned that it could also be my GPA. I am wondering if I should use this time off to go and enroll in a post bacc program I was accepted into, or if I should stay in the research lab I am currently working in to save up money and get my publications up. Does anyone have experience with stats like mine that were accepted into medical school?

My cumulative GPA is around a 3.8, but my BCPM GPA is around a 2.8. If I get my MCAT up to a 510 or something in that range, do you think my GPA will be an issue still with publications and a great application? Should I take the post bacc? Or is staying at the lab while improving my MCAT fine? Any insight or experience with similar stats would be amazing.

Thank you all!
Read this: