DIY Post-Bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paul30

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, hope you're all safe during the pandemic :')!

I know this cycle is far from over, but I rather start thinking about reapplication come next year. Currently, I'm looking into doing a DIY post-bacc and just wanted to understand what I'm getting myself into. I'm 2 years out undergrad (doing a bioethics masters currently lol) and I graduated with a 3.5 cGPA and ~3.18 sGPA. I know that sGPA looks bad :/ Without getting too personal, my second year in college was pretty bad with my grades going from 3.8, to 3.0, to 2.8, and then averaging around a 3.9 after the fourth semester. My MCAT is a 511 so I don't think I'm going to retake it. I think my main barrier is my sGPA and I was wondering if a diy post-bacc at my local SUNY could somehow make up for it? If not make up, then show improvement, at least?

I was thinking of taking ~3 courses this winter break, 3 next semester, and then 3 over the summer, so around ~27 credits. And by the time I apply next cycle, I should have ~18 graded credits. Guess I'm asking for validation if this seems like an alright plan? Thanks in advance :)!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds good. Just make sure you keep that solid GPA. Btw, what courses are you planning to take over this winter break? Usually, there aren't courses outside of research available for winter breaks, but I was wondering if that is not the case. I personally am interested in taking some courses for the winter break, preferably outside of just research.