PNWU-COM (Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences) Discussion 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DocB, i got the robot vibe as well, maybe we had the same interviewers. They seemed to loosen up after the scripted questions when I offered to catch them a trout in the yakima with my fly pole.

you sly dog :laugh:. way to work it!

Did you hear this at the interview? The only thing I heard from the staff was that all 20 of the people that they offered decided to wait for 2009 and that there was only going to be 55 slots available this year. (If I heard right they already have 900 finished secondary apps. for those positions) They did mention that there may be as many as 125 per year once the school gets fully finished.

These are LeAnne, the admissions director's exact words im pretty sure. Its kind of a bummer, I loved everyone in our interview group too!

Members don't see this ad.

I think she said that there were 900 verified accomas primaries that had been sent to them, with another 1000 in the waiting. I don't think all of the 900 had sent in secondaries though. Thats my take, but it could be wrong. Who knows.

Naw, she said there were 900 secondaries recieved so far, and 1500 AACOMAS primaries sent in. So talk about competitive, if all 1500 secondaries were recieved for a class size of 55, that's like 4% acceptance rate. Crazy!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, 4% doesn't sound that great...but how many of those are serious? Also, how many are from areas outside of the PNW? Regardless, it certainly doesn't make me feel better about my chances!

Looks like I got waitlised... I will wait for the official call or letter though. The profiles were updated today. :(

My status page says "offer". Dont know if that means I got in, but it looks promising! Well see.

So, does offer = acceptance?

Well congrats to all who got "offer" status... not sure what I said wrong during the interview to have them WL me, but I still have three left so I guess I will need to focus and make the most of them.

Who knows... maybe in late May or June they will remember me :)

Dude, if I did get in, I am going to tell them how awesome u were and they should take you off the waitlist.

woop woop!!!! I got an "offer" status on my page!!!! Im not celebrating outright yet, but man it feels good to see that!!! Congrats to the rest of you who are getting those too!

It seems like a few people have offer status and haven't been called. At least one person was called yesterday. Maybe it means, they offer us condolensces.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay, I got the call! Wooohoooo. LeAnn said that 7 from our group were offered admission since it was such a fine group.

I dont remember exactly, but I would say between 12 and 15 in the group I interviewed with. I think they were all great applicants and all of them easily could have been accepted. Only 48 more spots :scared:

Oh yea! Got the call on the way to work this morning!!! I dont think ive ever been so excited for an unlisted call number! haha..... Man what a huge relief!

There were fifteen of us that were interviewed that day, so they took almost half of the people there that day! Man, I cant believe that, we did have a great group of people tho as far as i could tell!

I wonder if the 8 people who didn't get in also got wait listed? Need to try not to stress about it too much... but now I am wishing that I had interviewed after my others because this was the wrong school to have my first interview at.

hey, did anyone who got in have a letter from a MD (as opposed to a DO)? I ask this because I am only able to get a letter from a MD (only 1 DO in my town...) - it should be a good one, but it is not from a DO.

I had one from an MD, and one from a DO that I only met with for 15 minutes, so it couldnt have been a spectacular letter.

I had a letter from a DO and an MD..... the DO was a guy that I met with for one day and shadowed..... it really isnt that hard. Just call up that one DO and ask him to meet with you!

Congrats to all of you who got accepted! Didn't you just interview Friday? If so, that is a fast turnaround! I am interviewing next week...

I thought about doing that (just calling up a DO, shadowing him/her for a day, and then asking for a letter), but it seems as if they would see right through this...I know my MD who wrote the letter pretty well, and I grew up seeing an osteopathic physician, so I know "what it is all about" - which I assume is the reason they prefer (some schools require) a letter from a DO... (am I wrong?)

I got in with only an MD letter. I asked them about it and they said it was fine.

I got in with only an MD letter. I asked them about it and they said it was fine.

good... that makes me feel better - "preferably a DO" can be interpreted more than one way!

PSY, im deducing from your SDN name that you are spencer. Is this correct?

Seriously, I bet almost every DO at one point or another is asked to do this exact thing (shadow for a day and then write a LOR). They dont mind at all, as long as they think you are a good candidate from what they can see..... why would they not want to help a young person aspiring to join their exact field? Go with just an MD if you want, but I would highly recommend DO

Seriously, I bet almost every DO at one point or another is asked to do this exact thing (shadow for a day and then write a LOR). They dont mind at all, as long as they think you are a good candidate from what they can see..... why would they not want to help a young person aspiring to join their exact field? Go with just an MD if you want, but I would highly recommend DO

That is a good point, but I already submitted my supplemental application and had my letters sent, AND there is actually only one DO in my town (and he is very hard to reach, as he is an ER doc with a somewhat random schedule).
Thanks for the advice though!:thumbup:

I only had letters from M.D. and a P.A. and had no problems getting in!
Good luck

good... that makes me feel better - "preferably a DO" can be interpreted more than one way!

I got in with only MD letter as well. theres a lot of us it looks like!

so, for the 1000 dollar acceptance deposit, how are you guys paying for it? can we use student loans?

I think you can put it on a credit card :( You pay the 1k deposit upfront and then it is credited to your tuition bill in August of the year you start.

Yeah, I was trying to avoid paying for it out of pocket. More credit card debt is what I'm trying to avoid. If it comes down to it, I'll probably do that, but I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on other forms of payment.

I leave very early tomorrow to head to Yakima for my interview Friday! I am really excited to check out WA and this school :)

Okay, so I am OOS... in the northeast, to be exact. I applied because I think it would be totally awesome to medically serve those who need it most in such a beautiful region. However, not being from the Northwest (and not even being out there), I thought I would be outright rejected. I am shocked: I just received an interview, but already have an acceptance from a top choice school. I am not sure if I should go because my chances are already hurt from where I live (boo).

Also, even though the schools new, do you guys know how the students perform? Thanks.

Hey, all I can say is that I was super impressed with every aspect of this school..... Dont give up on it yet, especially if you think you could really enjoy serving in the Northwest. If i could recommend anything, at least go there for the interview just to see for yourself what its all about and really sell yourself to them, and if youre a good enough candidate they will see you through to acceptance ;)

good luck, and keep us posted on what you decide!

oh, and so far it seems that every student I meet was first class in their performance. Obviously whereever you go some students will struggle, but everyone I talked to there seemed on top of their game.

Naw, she said there were 900 secondaries recieved so far, and 1500 AACOMAS primaries sent in. So talk about competitive, if all 1500 secondaries were recieved for a class size of 55, that's like 4% acceptance rate. Crazy!

Try not to drive yourself crazy with the numbers. First off, there will be plenty that don't complete the secondary. Then they'll likely accept double their class size to make up for those that decide not to attend. The real acceptance rate is probably much higher.

I have to say: hurray for Yakima starting a med school! I grew up in the Tri-cities and went to WSU for undergrad. If PNWU would have been around 3 years ago, it would have been a tempting choice for a UW-hater like me. Instead, I came out to the east coast for my MD. Boy, do I miss Washington! Good luck guys. And please let me know how you like it.

Also, even though the schools new, do you guys know how the students perform? Thanks.

This is the exact question I was wondering, however, I have had to reconcile myself with the fact that "how students perform" is an unknown at this stage in the game. Certainly next year one could benchmark the school based on the step 1 scores, but the only numbers that come through right now are the class statistics for the class of 2012 which are posted on the home page of their website.

But, at the risk of making my chances of admission lower by promoting the school, I will go ahead and give my take on things since I was interested enough to go and visit the school prior to this application cycle, and I'll be interviewing there at the end of November.

What everyone wants from medical school is a good education and ultimately, a successful residency placement. When I was looking at this school, I paid particular attention to how it would prepare me for the boards, and what kind of study environment it provided.

They have a few things going for them in this department.
- An very nice anatomy lab that they have taken extra care to make it as aesthetically appealing and comfortable as possible to make it so that students will feel happy putting in the extra-hours over their cadavers
- About 5 (I think) of the electronic patient simulators
- "Hybrid" PBL/systems based learning system. Enough PBL for the PBL lovers out there (myself), but it isn't going to go and piss off the staunch anti-PBL types either
- They also have an arrangement with a nursing home that is going up next doors where their residents will "act out a script" giving first and second years patient experience while they really still are "useless" when it comes to actually treating a patient (one could argue third and fourth years are as well, but I digress...)
- This last point is a biggie, since they don't have an attached hospital, but it is a good compensation I would say especially for those IM/FP inclined such as myself

The next big thing is their residency program, and I am probably not going to say anything that hasn't been said yet, but it looks like they are on top of that as well, with plenty of sites, etc.

Suffice to say, it's not something I'm worried about

In conclusion, I'm looking at medical schools from the perspective of "how well will I learn in this environment". While this has a lot to do with your peers and study groups, board prep from what I understand is a rather subjective experience, so it ultimately would come down to if PNWU would fit your learning style, and if you believe you could have much fun as one could conceivably have in medical school while you are there.

Wow...I've just got to say, the more I read about PNWU-COM, the more I can't wait to apply this coming summer! I've really excited about this school, especially since it's so close to me. I never want to leave the Northwest haha. Is there anywhere that shows their average stats of accepted applicants? Sorry if that was already asked, 9 pages is a lot to catch up on. :)

Is there anywhere that shows their average stats of accepted applicants? Sorry if that was already asked, 9 pages is a lot to catch up on. :)

Its actually posted on their website

The stats are above average for DO which is impressive for such a new program! they do have a small class size right now which allows them to narrow down who they choose.

seriously, still so stoked about getting the acceptance here! Its one of those things that I am just sitting there throughout the day and I remember it and it makes me smile...... hopefully i can keep this attitude a year from now after my first few test cycles ;)

The next big thing is their residency program, and I am probably not going to say anything that hasn't been said yet, but it looks like they are on top of that as well, with plenty of sites, etc.

Dr. Sutton, who is the one who talks about the academics during the interview, said he specializes in starting residency programs. He said his goal is to let students at PNWU rotate at any hospital in the northwest, start osteopathic residencies in the northwest, and dual accredit the existing residencies.

Okay, so I am OOS... in the northeast, to be exact. I applied because I think it would be totally awesome to medically serve those who need it most in such a beautiful region. However, not being from the Northwest (and not even being out there), I thought I would be outright rejected. I am shocked: I just received an interview, but already have an acceptance from a top choice school. I am not sure if I should go because my chances are already hurt from where I live (boo).

I am also from outside of the Northwest, and received an acceptance. If I got one, I bet you've got a shot, especially if you are truly interested in serving the underserved in that region.

To those that have been "rejected" post secondary thus far...how were you notified?

I finally noticed today that my status on the interactive site was changed from "Committee" to "Deny/supplemental - 11/3/2008."

Sheesh!!! I've been a diehard PNWU supporter from the outset and was waitlisted last year...thought I'd at least have gotten an interview this go-round.

For those rejected...do they give you the reason...or some suggestions for the future?

Looks like no love for me this year :mad: