PNWU-COM (Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences) Discussion 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Let's continue to beat a dead horse here...

any news out there?

Members don't see this ad.

Just sittin around workin on my new aacomas for this year as it's become pretty clear that I'm not gettin in this cycle (you were right matt) and was wonderin...did PNWU pull anyone off of the waitlist this year? Not the pre-admit waitlist...just the normal one.

anyone else want to go here next year? I should be putting my app in within the next two weeks. Yakima is a cool place. I think they are doing the inauguration soon, anyone know anything about that?

Members don't see this ad :)
oh ya, im really interested in going here next year. I got my app submitted a few weeks ago and just got an email from AACOM that says i should be verified in a few days. woop woop! ;)

Also, got an email from PNWU, said their secondary will be available online here some point at the end of the month, so thats good to hear. Im not sure about the inauguration, but im hoping to maybe take a trip that way sometime soon for a campus tour. This is definitly one of my top choices for med school (as I want to stay in the pacific northwest) so hopefully this whole process goes good!

When did you apply and wen did you get the email from PNWU? I applied 6/12/08 and have not received any information, email or other, from them or Rocky Vista (which are the 2 DO schools I have applied to thus far).

I submitted around 6/16, but the only reason I got the email was cause I had sent an inquiry earlier about the whole process. Im wondering if they will send out emails letting you know that they want you to do a secondary before the secondary is available, or if they will just wait until the secondary is ready.

im hoping once im verified that stuff will start happening with all the DO schools I applied to

So what made you guys want to attend this school vs any other school?
For me it was the 30K tuition plus cheap living expenses (300-400/month in rent), 300 days of sun, only 75 students in the class vs 125+ in other schools, and being able to go back to my home city to do my rotations in 3-4th year.

If you guys do get accepted for the 2013, I'll be seeing you in class. :)

For me the big draw is staying in the Pacific Northwest..... Ive lived in Idaho and went to college in washington, so i absolutely love this area. Also, the rotations around the area will be awesome! Im definitly excited to have a shot at this school ;)

I just got back from visiting the campus! there are no tours of the main complex yet unfortunately but its understandable, they probably have sooo much equipment to move in to that building. Yakima is super chill, it would be a nice place to spend 2 years..for me at least. LeAnne (dean of admissions) is really nice and if you guys get the chance to stop by ever she will sit down and tell you EVERYTHING about the school. She gave a 20 min. mini interview too which caught me a little off guard. She showed me this map of the clinical rotations that you can do...and you can basically pick any place in the pacific northwest that you want, and you get to have the doctors and adjunct faculty to yourself, its super hands on. so anyways, seeing the campus up close and personal got me stoked about it. im really glad there is an osteopathic school in our corner of the country now.

Oh btw, the secondary is available on the website..LeAnne told me that they will probably have trouble getting the online signature up and running anytime soon so you just have to download it, fill it out on your computer, print it and send it in (snail mail). its in word format..

yup, I can confirm that about the secondary too..... got another email that said it was up for download and able to fill it out whenever you want (its a high secondary price, but oh wells ;) )

ps - if you are using a mac to view their website with safari it's a little skewed and weird looking, so try using Mozilla Firefox if that seems to be the case.

yup, I can confirm that about the secondary too..... got another email that said it was up for download and able to fill it out whenever you want (its a high secondary price, but oh wells ;) )

ps - if you are using a mac to view their website with safari it's a little skewed and weird looking, so try using Mozilla Firefox if that seems to be the case.

holy crap, i didn't even see how much it was till you said that :eek:..

yea, "oh well" is right though!

I just got back from visiting the campus! there are no tours of the main complex yet unfortunately but its understandable, they probably have sooo much equipment to move in to that building. Yakima is super chill, it would be a nice place to spend 2 years..for me at least. LeAnne (dean of admissions) is really nice and if you guys get the chance to stop by ever she will sit down and tell you EVERYTHING about the school. She gave a 20 min. mini interview too which caught me a little off guard. She showed me this map of the clinical rotations that you can do...and you can basically pick any place in the pacific northwest that you want, and you get to have the doctors and adjunct faculty to yourself, its super hands on. so anyways, seeing the campus up close and personal got me stoked about it. im really glad there is an osteopathic school in our corner of the country now.

Oh btw, the secondary is available on the website..LeAnne told me that they will probably have trouble getting the online signature up and running anytime soon so you just have to download it, fill it out on your computer, print it and send it in (snail mail). its in word format..

I'm curious..was UW an option for clinical rotations?

I'm curious..was UW an option for clinical rotations?

hmm, that would have been a good question :idea:. The main thing she kept harping on was that the rotations would be in a certain locale somewhere in the pacific northwest region. I think they have been stressing underserved/rural care a lot (but 38/39 counties in WA are underserved...so probably everywhere except king county/seattle). Basically I have no idea. You could probably email them :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I'll find out soon enough when class starts in 2 weeks. I'll drop a line if I find out.

ah, muchos gracias! I'll probably have a bunch of questions over the next few months. Good luck!!!!!:p

have fun tachymeter! keep in touch on this thread so we can hear what its like! im so pumped about this school!!!

It seems the 2008 class will get a dell latitude as their laptop. This is issued to you so you have no choice of laptop.

Does anyone have a clue as to how to navigate their website? I can't find anything about their proposed curriculum, whether you use cadavers for anatomy or not, where you would do rotations etc. If anyone has a link that would be great! :)

http://www.pnwu.org/students.aspx

You'll want to click on the new student handbook 2009-2010. Its on pages 48-52. The specific rotation sites aren't on there yet, but they are supposed to be in the five state area of Alaska, Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Oregon.

http://www.pnwu.org/students.aspx

You'll want to click on the new student handbook 2009-2010. Its on pages 48-52. The specific rotation sites aren't on there yet, but they are supposed to be in the five state area of Alaska, Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Oregon.

Thank you so much! And you have to rotate in different states? Wow, that'd be pretty expensive, but would also probably be a pretty cool experience to see how different hospitals operate in different locations.

It's not "have to" more like you get to choose which rotation sites you want. I want to go back to my home city for rotations. That would cut my food and living expenses down to 0. :)

Thank you so much! And you have to rotate in different states? Wow, that'd be pretty expensive, but would also probably be a pretty cool experience to see how different hospitals operate in different locations.

Actually, they set it up so you can do nearly all of your rotations in the same place. You don't have to move all over the five state region. They told me that they are trying to make these rotations more family friendly. You can do virtually all your rotations in the same place if want.

the way they do rotations is a big draw for me, rather than an M.D. school where you often can get stuck in their own hospital for all your rotations...

does anyone know whether or not they need to email you before you send in the secondary? or should i assume that if i am verified by aacom that i should be able to send it in?

I also only applied to 2 DO schools like another person on this thread- Rocky Vista and Pacific NW. I was in the Yakima area about 3 years ago but I can not remember the details very well. If I end up going there, my spouse will need to find a job there. Soo, how far is it from Seattle Downtown and suburbs?

the way they do rotations is a big draw for me, rather than an M.D. school where you often can get stuck in their own hospital for all your rotations...

does anyone know whether or not they need to email you before you send in the secondary? or should i assume that if i am verified by aacom that i should be able to send it in?

Not sure on that. The only school I know that does not send an invite is LMU. Well the may but their admissions procedure says to fill out the secondary immediately after aacom.

It would appear that you do the same and PNWU. I'd call admissions and see.

I also only applied to 2 DO schools like another person on this thread- Rocky Vista and Pacific NW. I was in the Yakima area about 3 years ago but I can not remember the details very well. If I end up going there, my spouse will need to find a job there. Soo, how far is it from Seattle Downtown and suburbs?

haha, seattle downtown is QUITE a bit farther than it seems you are thinking.... seattle downtown is probably a couple hours easy from yakima, probably more towards three depending on traffic... ellensburg is close though, thats where i would start looking for jobs for her maybe

Well, I hope to get a chance to be at PNWU in 2009. A friend that I work with as a CNA is starting there now and just moved up. From the sounds of it it's a really nice place so I hope I can stay in the NW. This will be a fun thread to watch develope as people get to interview time.

BTW... how long do the AACOMAS applications normally take to be done? Mine has been 3.5 weeks and still just says "submitted". Guess that just means more time to relax and enjoy this sweet Oregon weather. :cool:

So from what I found out in orientation this week. There are already sets of several core sites in 4 states so far. They are intended to serve as points that you can stay for the duration of your rotations if you so choose. From my limited memory they are in Fairbanks and Anchorage AK, North Seattle/Whidbey, South Seattle, Tacoma/Puyallup, Yakima, a bunch more Washington locations, Coeur d'alene Idaho, sites in Montana, and Oregon sites are still under review. Forgive me but I don't remember the rest of them but they are working on more over the next two years. They don't want us to have travel excessively unless we want to.

Would like to know where in Oregon the rotating sites will be? Tachymeter, do you know?
Asking because I'm an Oregonian and will likely someday return. I know that Western's NW track primarily is affiliated with the Good Samaritan system in Corvallis/Lebanon.
Thanks in advance
Lisa

Oregon is up in the air at the moment for sites. They are trying to develop them based on where students want to go in Oregon. Its nice because they are asking us what sites we'd like to go. As soon as I know something definitive I'll be sure to let you know.

Thanks Tachymeter. I went ahead and applied so we'll see.
I got a flyer 3-4 years ago before the program was even a for-sure thing. I remember one of the pediatricians I worked with in Oregon was on the board...although it was more of an honorary thing. I'm not sure if he really went to meetings and stuff ;)
If it helps, I have tons of contacts throughout Oregon. I would think that would be attractive to a school when trying to set up a student...I actually set up a bunch of my own rotations in PA school in 99-00.........

Oregon is up in the air at the moment for sites. They are trying to develop them based on where students want to go in Oregon. Its nice because they are asking us what sites we'd like to go. As soon as I know something definitive I'll be sure to let you know.

Not sure on that. The only school I know that does not send an invite is LMU. Well the may but their admissions procedure says to fill out the secondary immediately after aacom.

It would appear that you do the same and PNWU. I'd call admissions and see.

Did we ever figure out if you need to hear from PNWU before sending in the secondary or not? They are the only school out of 8 I have not gotten a secondary from yet.

The CEO of the hospital where I work (www.tristatehospital.org) recently told me the hospital had contacted PNWU-COM about hosting rotations. I dunno how soon this will pan out (if at all). Clarkston and Lewiston aren't too bad of places to be. Lots of fishing and outdoor activities, decent housing prices, and a fairly diverse patient population. If I were to attend PNWU, I wouldn't mind coming back to rotate here.

woop woop! got an interview!!!! =D

this is probably a really stupid question, but whatever.

on the secondary, it indicates to submit a one page essay on three questions. does that mean a total of one page or a one page for each question for a total of three pages?

like i said, probably a stupid question, but i was just wondering what anyone else's take was. thanks!!!

I did one page single spaced that covered all three issues in thier own paragraph with a conclusion to wrap it up. So a total of 4 paragraphs in essay form. If you are really concerned about it give them a call. The staff there is really nice and usually knows exactly how to answer questions, but I never did ask about this one... I just went for it. :)

Does anyone have PNWU as their number one choice? If so, how come? I'm just curious because I was born and raised in a town very close to Yakima, and perhaps some other people will have more of an insight on this school than I do.

You can check out my previous posts...the post on the first page of this thread should sum up my feelings...

Does anyone have PNWU as their number one choice? If so, how come? I'm just curious because I was born and raised in a town very close to Yakima, and perhaps some other people will have more of an insight on this school than I do.

Your question is pretty much answered in previous posts. To reiterate, PNWU has lower tuition cost than most other DO schools (30K per year). Living expenses in Yakima is also cheaper. Alot of people like being able to go back to their home state/town for their rotations. The class size is only 75 people vs the 100-200 in other places. The school being near ski resorts also help, but it's mostly about cost and being closer to home. :D

That's cool. I was curious, on the website, it said they are training 75 future primary care physicians. Does that mean if you attend PNWU, you have to become a pcp?

I imagine that they will focus on primary care like most medical schools since that is where there is the greatest need, but as far as I understand you can go to any school and get into any discipline as long as you score well enough on your COMLEX and/or USLME exams. I could be wrong though, but I hope not because PNWU is my first choice as of now and after spending the last 3 years with docs. and profs. I am pretty sure that ortho is where I will want to be...then again... in five years that could all change.

That's cool. I was curious, on the website, it said they are training 75 future primary care physicians. Does that mean if you attend PNWU, you have to become a pcp?

That's marketing, and quite frankly, it's naive and irresponsible for the school to claim a primary care focus with tuition at $30k.

The school has no say in what residency you do.

That's true. Do you think it'll be hard to get into a specialty residency like ortho since all of the AOA ortho residency programs are on in the east coast or the midwest? Being from the NW, I'd kina like to stay in the NW for clinicals, but i'd also like to specialize.

Location doesn't matter as much as board scores and LORs.

october 10th! cant wait, tho im kinda stressin cause its my first interview and im trying to figure out what kinda questions i should prepare for, haha ;)

That's marketing, and quite frankly, it's naive and irresponsible for the school to claim a primary care focus with tuition at $30k.

The school has no say in what residency you do.

The mission of the school is to try to get individuals that it believes will go into primary care. That said however, they do not discourage you from other residencies. In fact they often tell us that we will be switching our minds so often in rotations that its hard to say what we will eventually go into. And its not like everyone here said they wanted to do primary care, there are those that want to do things like Rad, Derm, EM, etc.
But if you were at the school you'd realize that alot of us here are pretty focused on smaller communities and primary care. And that tuition includes alot of items that other schools don't. Such as all books, equipment (table, stethoscope, otoscope,etc.) laptops, gym membership, SOMA dues, WOMA dues, Comlex fees, scrubs, etc.) Really we get alot for our tuition in comparison to other schools of the same tution where all that isn't included.

Last edited:
If you check out the student handbook for 2009-10 the tuition has jumped about 3k and now there are about $2700 in fees on top of that. Maybe I understood that part of the handbook improperly, but that is a huge ...nearly $6000 increase. Not the $32k they stated last year. Why the huge change? Last I read on the website I was under the impression that it would be about $1700 increase per year for the first few years.

Any other takes on this?

Ahhh... I found it again. In the Student Catalog for 2009-10 on the PNWU website on page 21 it states that the tuition will now be $35k and there will be $2650 in fees on top of this. Quite a change from last year.

Though still in the top three for my choices becasue of its location I have to say that I will consider other schools (if I get a chance to do so) a little more seriously with this steep of a tuition hike.