Plugs in Ireland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparkler7

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is an odd question, but humor me: What are the electricity plugs in Ireland like? Which kind of plug adapter works with their socket (the 3-pronged one with two big square pins or the two-pronged round shaped pins?)

For the past few weeks, I've been looking for a plug adapter for my computer to no avail. You'd figure it'd be easy to find one in this age of travel...but I haven't had much luck. I've seen the two types of adapter plugs (above-described), but only the square one definitively listed as 'for Ireland' (the round one is listed as a 'for Europe' adapter). Do both types work in Ireland?

Finally if you're from North America and have done the adapter search, can you tell me where you bought yours?

Thanks,
K

Members don't see this ad.

hey there,

the one you need for ireland is same as uk, 3 big prongs....i got one at radioshack in canada for under 5 bucks.....if you go to the appropriate section in radio shack, best buy, circuit city etc they usually have a chart that tells you what you need for particular countries...

Sparkler7 said:
This is an odd question, but humor me: What are the electricity plugs in Ireland like? Which kind of plug adapter works with their socket (the 3-pronged one with two big square pins or the two-pronged round shaped pins?)

For the past few weeks, I've been looking for a plug adapter for my computer to no avail. You'd figure it'd be easy to find one in this age of travel...but I haven't had much luck. I've seen the two types of adapter plugs (above-described), but only the square one definitively listed as 'for Ireland' (the round one is listed as a 'for Europe' adapter). Do both types work in Ireland?

Finally if you're from North America and have done the adapter search, can you tell me where you bought yours?

Thanks,
K

Hey there. I got my plug adapters in Ireland, since the ones I bought in Canada would not go into the outlets at all. If you are going to Cork get them at Hickey's on Maylor Street or at Digilog on Washington Street. No clue for Dublin, except I did get one at Roche's, come to think of it, and I know they have those in Dublin, also try Dunne's. The two round prong plug types work in Europe, but as you will soon realize once you are in Ireland, you are not really in Europe. Both Britain and Ireland use the three pronged plugs (and just to be different the Aussies use them too, but angle the prongs!). Cheers,
Med2UCC

Members don't see this ad :)
You can get UK plugs at any luggage store in the US. Don't buy them here, because of inflation rates and currency exchange, they'll be more expensive here. Another useful site to check out is www.teleadapt.com for in the future when you're wondering what kind of plug to buy for whatever country.

radio shack sells adapters the fit onto your PC's or Mac's brick/converter and it is less than ten bucks