Pikeville-SOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My letters have just been sent to AACOMAS, I know the deadline to apply is in february, but is it already to late to apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Think Monday is the day for the January interviews?

no email here for an interview yet....probably this coming week? anybody get their interview invites for january??

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup..that was the schedule for the first month of class this year. The schedule changes slightly from month to month, however, those are the classes you will have for at least until Christmas break. After break Cell bio is over and physiology starts up. Take notice of the one exam listed in associated with the day of practical exams. We're based on a block schedule where every block (typically 4 weeks) we have one all encompassing exam. Personally, I wouldn't want to have the schedule any other way.

Does anyone know how the waitlist works at Pikeville? I know there are still several interviews left so I would think I'm close to the top I would hope.

For those who have been accepted, how long did it take to receive the letter from PCSOM regarding the final preparations on getting into the class? Im just curious because my mail at my apartment has been very funny (and delaying) so Im just curious if anyone else has received their letter?

EMTK,

what are the class statistics for getting accepted? I applied to PSCOM with a 3.6 sGPA and 3.5 cGPA with like 1000s of hours of patient contact and about 500 volunteering hours but my MCAT was low.. I am also an OS student from Michigan.. think I have any chances in hearing from PSCOM?

Anyone hear about January interviews yet? It has to be getting close, right?

Got a January invite yesterday as well. Are the interviews pretty laid back?

Members don't see this ad :)
i just got an email today explaining the immunizations, tests, and physicals and stuff that i need to complete by may/june. Is this the completion email? i havent received anything in the mail just yet, but im pretty sure this is the completion email.

For those that just got an interview notification, when were you complete?

For those that just received a notification for an interview, when were you complete?

EMTK,

what are the class statistics for getting accepted? I applied to PSCOM with a 3.6 sGPA and 3.5 cGPA with like 1000s of hours of patient contact and about 500 volunteering hours but my MCAT was low.. I am also an OS student from Michigan.. think I have any chances in hearing from PSCOM?

I'm not exactly sure what the average GPA is, average MCAT is around a 23/24. While PCSOM looks favorably on those from eastern KY and the surrounding region, they pride themselves on looking entirely at what the applicant brings to the table (hence why the average MCAT is on the lower end). PCSOM recognizes the need for physicians to serve those deprived of health care and therefore look for those to fill that void. Does this mean you can't come here with the hopes of doing neuro...nope...just means they'll train you as a great GP first and foremost.

In other words, your numbers look good (as long as the MCAT isn't too much below the average), now just be sure to express your desire to serve when (hopefully) the interview invitation comes your way.

For those that just received a notification for an interview, when were you complete?

I submitted everything in August, however did not receive the complete email until late october.

EMTK,

Thanks a lot. I wrote about a lot of that in my secondary.. my mcat is a little lower then the average but I just hope that doesn't hold an interview back. I met a few people from PCSOM at my hospital. I work in the ER at a osteopathic hospital and i love it. My goal is to work with the under-served population so I hope I just get a shot at an interview because i feel that is what will determine everything. I am good with talking about what I want to do and I really like the school so I hope so.. Funny thing is I submitted everything to PCSOM back in october and i just got an email saying I was complete a few days ago.. But hopefully theyll give me a shot..

additionally, PCSOM has many graduates going into other specialties at highly respected hospitals. What stuck out most to me was how this school takes some students with lower scores and by the time boards roll around they do very well on them. Both USMLE and COMLEX. Really shows you how quality the professors and structure is. To me the only drawback is being so far away from big cities. however, PCSOM student body and spouse groups are very self sufficent and you wont have time anyway to go shopping at macy's.

What days does the admission committee meet and send out interviews? If I havent heard anything yet am I out of luck? By the way I had everything submitted in early October and recieved an email last week say I am complete? Plus I am from Michigan... is this going to kill me guys and girls?

I am not sure of what days exactly, read through the thread a little and people have stated when they received interviews. I believe they usually send them (by email) for the next month right before they interview on the first friday of that month. For what it is worth, the PCSOM 2015 facebook page only has 19 people in it. I am sure there are some who are accepted and have not joined but I doubt this number would be to large. They usually have a class of about 80, so I would guess they would only be about 40% full as of right now. Are you from a rural area in Michigan and committed to practicing within a rural/underserved area? They are huge on this and I was drilled on this stuff in my interview. Do not give up hope yet, we still have 3 to 4 months in the application season to go. I hope you hear something soon, Good luck!!!

Thanks a lot I appreciate it!! I am committed to practicing within a rural/underserved area for sure. The hospital I work at is located in one so I have gained a lot of experience there. Well hopefully soon then!! I really hope I hear something after the holidays!

Thanks a lot I appreciate it!! I am committed to practicing within a rural/underserved area for sure. The hospital I work at is located in one so I have gained a lot of experience there. Well hopefully soon then!! I really hope I hear something after the holidays!

Hey,
I just got accepted into PCSOM. I was in the last set of interviews in December. My best advice is to be yourself. My MCAT score wasn't an issue but others that I've spoken with had lower scores. I do wish you the best!

Hi jobert,

Congrats on the acceptance. When did you interview? Did they have 2 interview rounds in December or did you interview on December 4th?

Hey,
I just got accepted into PCSOM. I was in the last set of interviews in December. My best advice is to be yourself. My MCAT score wasn't an issue but others that I've spoken with had lower scores. I do wish you the best!

When did they notify you? I thought they send out acceptances a couple of days after the interview?

Have a quick question on my chances, and in particular whether I should go ahead and submit the secondary application for this year: my AACOMAS application has already been verified and sent to the schools, and I've completed the secondary, with LOR's ready to go. The reason why I've been hesitant to apply is that my MCAT score is 27, with a 3.29 GPA, and I'm a KY resident. I am retaking the MCAT on 1/29, and so far my practice scores have been in the low 30's. Should I go ahead and submit the secondary application--and what chances do I likely have, or would it be better to wait for next year's cycle? Does anyone know how many spots are still open?

Congrats. I didn't get a call today, so I guess I'm on the waitlist.

Hesitant with a 27? You are right above the average for Osteopathic schools (I was accepted to PSCOM with a 21 and 3.85) and your GPA is just slightly below the average. I think you had an excellent shot if you would have put your stuff in early, but it is getting kind of late in the game so your chances are decreasing by the day. I say hurry up and get that secondary in to them and take your shot. On a side note I hope you did not get shot down by a bunch of MD schools and are now scrambling for a DO school because they may see right through that or suspect something is up. Anyways just submit the thing and pray they give you interview. Being a resident of Kentucky gives you a leg up on most other applicants to PCSOM. Good luck and I hope I can call you a classmate in August.

Hi =) I applied with a 21 also but have a much lower GPA than aspiringOSTEO (around 3.4 only). I really hope I still have a shot and will be retaking MCAT on the 29th hoping to be able to update score before this is over. Osteo getting accepted with a 21 this same year gives me some hope =). TY all for keeping this post up to date and good luck to all of us still waiting. :xf:

Last edited:
I still havent heard yet Im dying over here in Michigan!! lol my mcat is low but my GPA is highhhh and i'm so nervous im not going to get in to PCSOM

When did you apply/have you interviewed yet?

When did you apply/have you interviewed yet?

Well I was submitted by first week of October and received an email 12/14 saying I was complete.. I havent interviewed yet or anything? Should I be freaking out... my mcat was 6,7,7 and my gpa is 3.7 sGPA and 3.5 cGPA.. My mcat sucks but I had terrible anxiety that day ugh.. I work in the ER at an osteopathic hospital and have been working here for like 3 years... I have tons of patient contact and a good amount of volunteering.. I just think because I am a michigan resident its holding me back from getting accepted there..

Well I was submitted by first week of October and received an email 12/14 saying I was complete.. I havent interviewed yet or anything? Should I be freaking out... my mcat was 6,7,7 and my gpa is 3.7 sGPA and 3.5 cGPA.. My mcat sucks but I had terrible anxiety that day ugh.. I work in the ER at an osteopathic hospital and have been working here for like 3 years... I have tons of patient contact and a good amount of volunteering.. I just think because I am a michigan resident its holding me back from getting accepted there..

Don't give up yet. I'm from Eastern Kentucky and attend Marshall. As an out of state student, I have been watching the class fill up with residents since the first of October, and I just received an e-mail a couple weeks ago that my supplementary had been successfully completed (I submitted it the first week of October). My point is that being an out of state student definitely pushes back the date.
I have an interview to Pikeville on Friday the 21st. They just notified me last week. So, they are now running two sets of interviews per month. Which is good for the out of state students because you will know, one way or the other, a little quicker.
Good Luck

I got the call, as well, around 11:30 this morning. Congratulations to everyone that has been accepted, and I look forward to seeing, and maybe studying with you this fall.

Congrats! Does anyone know if they have sent out invites for the Feb. interviews?

Congrats! Does anyone know if they have sent out invites for the Feb. interviews?

I haven't gotten anything yet. However I did finish my secondary app around mid January. I'm checking my email every weekday and weekend (even though I know checking on weekends is ******ed)

I have an interview coming up and I was wondering how soon afterward may I possibly expect a phone call? Anyone already accepted that can tell me how long it took you to hear?

Did anybody that interviewed on Friday, February 4th hear back yet??