Pikeville-SOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wouldn't say PCSOM prefers those from the Appalachian area; however, I would say they prefer those who are very interested if not dedicated to serving the rural population. Its true many PCSOM graduates set up practice within 90 miles of Pikeville, but there are also many who return to their own local rural communities.

Overall, simply be sure to stay true to who you are during your application process. The application process here at PCSOM is geared toward best getting to know you as an individual all scores aside, creating a facade with your personal statement or throughout the interview process will ultimately only diminish your odds of acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

They do give quite a bit of preference to those in appalachian counties but there are plenty of students who are not. I am from an ohio appalachian county. But you may be able to tell them that both your parents grew up in an appalachian county and this affected you/how you grew up by...........fill in blank. If you are bordereing an appalachian county this may help you as well because sometimes the poverty lines are pretty close to those found in the neighboring county. Also, if you are interested in rural medicine make sure to tell them that. That is their main focus and they are ranked pretty highly in that field. btw are you a buckeye as well?

I didn't go to Ohio State, but I am a huge fan! Haha. I do live about 40 minutes from Columbus though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe its something like GPA 3.3 science
24 mcat.
Not totally for sure on those numbers though.

I am also wondering about those numbers because there website

http://www.pcom.edu/admissions/adm_faqs/DoFaqs.html

has the GPA at 3.45 and MCAT at 27 , and that was for the 2010 entering class, so I would imagine those numbers going up. But I would like to know what DO schools would be around this ballpaerk... I currently have a 3.26 GPA and retaking my MCAT on July 6.

I am also wondering about those numbers because there website

http://www.pcom.edu/admissions/adm_faqs/DoFaqs.html

has the GPA at 3.45 and MCAT at 27 , and that was for the 2010 entering class, so I would imagine those numbers going up. But I would like to know what DO schools would be around this ballpaerk... I currently have a 3.26 GPA and retaking my MCAT on July 6.

I think you may be mistaken. That is not PCSOM's website, that is PCOM.
PCOM is in Philidelphia, PCSOM is in Pikeville Kentucky.

Try looking around on this site:

http://www.pc.edu/pcsom/about/default.aspx

Hope that helps.

Any one know of any apts for rent close to campus? Also what should I expect to pay for an apt and utilities

it is so hard to find a place in pikeville. we lucked out on a house. be prepared to pay rent plus utilities.

but this one company keeps trying to contact me (the didn't know we got a place) of a 2 bedroom apt. for $600 a month available august 1st. the number is 606-432-2040, ask for greta. hope it's still available!

the further a way you go from the school, i heard you can find places. if you're willing to drive 20 miles a way.