Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USArmyDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I am a 4th year medical student but my cousin is starting a pharmacy program this upcoming year. On the floors, I have worked with clinical pharmacists and they were so helpful. It is also fun working with the pharmacy students. We explain to each other the way we look at things as a physician vs pharmacist. However, that is about as much about pharmacy as I know.

Ughh I hate to be so vague but is there a way anyone could give me a run down of the different opportunities involved in pharmacy?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Nuclear pharmacist, retail pharmacist, hospital pharmacist, mail order pharmacist (various positions such as prior authorizations, verification (scripts or product being mailed), counseling), Long term care pharmacist, pharmacy manager of hospital or retail. If mail order you will only focus on one thing. Retail, you will focus on aspects related to the job. Reorder product, counsel patient, take in RXes, call the doctor for DDI, problems with scripts. To do nuclear you need additional certification. Hospital you might be entering in the orders, dosing medications (vanco, levaquin) switching IV to PO when appropriate to save the hospital money. Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Keep in mind though, that the vast majority of pharmacist jobs are still in retail. The clinical positions that you mentioned in hospitals are extremely competitive to land and typically require at least one year of residency. He needs to be willing to work retail 1000+ miles from home in the middle of nowhere if his other plans do not work out.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile