Penn vs. UW-Madison

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catgurl666

Reaction score
I've been tearing my hair out trying to decide between these two schools. Cost is the same for me. I have worked at Penn, and I am very familiar with the school. I visited UW last week and didn't really feel one way or the other about it. I have concerns about the quality of Penn's small animal hospital, and I know that UW has plans to improve theirs. This is mostly important from a philosophical standpoint I guess. Going out to New Bolton also seems like kind of a pain. I know that I'm interested in small animal and am maybe interested in pursuing a specialty (onco?). I have some concerns about Penn's culture; UW seemed to place a higher value on having a good work/life balance.

In spite of the concerns outlined above, I really do like Penn, and I've spent a while cultivating a network there. I'm not sure that it makes sense to give it up.

Any feedback would be helpful. I'm kind of at a loss as to how to decide.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been tearing my hair out trying to decide between these two schools. Cost is the same for me. I have worked at Penn, and I am very familiar with the school. I visited UW last week and didn't really feel one way or the other about it. I have concerns about the quality of Penn's small animal hospital, and I know that UW has plans to improve theirs. This is mostly important from a philosophical standpoint I guess. Going out to New Bolton also seems like kind of a pain. I know that I'm interested in small animal and am maybe interested in pursuing a specialty (onco?). I have some concerns about Penn's culture; UW seemed to place a higher value on having a good work/life balance.

In spite of the concerns outlined above, I really do like Penn, and I've spent a while cultivating a network there. I'm not sure that it makes sense to give it up.

Any feedback would be helpful. I'm kind of at a loss as to how to decide.

So I just committed to UW-Madison, but was deciding between Penn, Wisconsin, Tufts, and Michigan. For me, it ultimately came down to cost, but I can talk a bit more about some other tipping points for me. I left their open house day thing with the best feeling about all of it from the students and profs that were there. I didn't get as much of a sense of community at Penn on my interview day. I'm sure that any student there would probably say they feel supported, but as an interviewee, I didn't really get that sense. Wisconsin sort of felt like a little community and one of the students said that a professor swung by her locker earlier in the day to answer a question she asked in an email. This was cool to hear because it was like...actual proof of what they were saying about the faculty's investment in the students' experience.

Along those lines, it was crazy how Wisconsin's academic affairs folks were so in tune with what the students needed/wanted and even the students would testify that the administration does everything it can to accommodate feedback. For me, I also pictured myself in both cities and while both are cool, I wanted to get back to the midwest and Madison (even in the cold) was a great time with lots to do.

That was all very stream of consciousness and happy to sound off a bit more if you want! It sounds like you have a great thing going at Penn and I'm sure there are a lot of pros to rolling with the momentum. I also have heard other people say that changing schools/environments was the best thing that happened to them because their network doubled! (I did this from undergrad to my Masters program and I think I'd agree!)

But anyway!!! Good luck with your decision!!! At the end of the day, you can't go wrong because both are awesome programs and you will leave as a vet with limitless possibilities either way!

Last edited:
I’m really wondering what you mean about being concerned about the quality of the small animal hospital. It’s known to have a large caseload, very long track record, and it’s the best in the area. Hospitals like VSEC actually transfer their patients to Ryan when they need a higher level of care/certain procedures. The case load is extremely diverse because of the area it’s in. There were also some recent renovations done to the emergency services department.

As far as NBC goes, I asked some current students since I’m going to be small animal track and don’t want to have to go out there much. In your first year or two, you’ll only go out a handful of times. Like 5 or 6 apparently. And if you don’t have a car to use, people always carpool.

If you want to specialize, get a job in the area, or do research, connections are huge. The fact that you know a ton of people will be really helpful. Wisconsin not leaving a big impression on you is a pretty good indicator that you shouldn’t pack up and move away for it. If cost is the same, I would just go to Penn. You’ll also be working with your former classmates if you practice in the area and knowing a lot of VMD’s, it can come in handy down the line.

Reactions: 1 user