Technology PDA questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCG

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has probably already been discussed, but maybe someone can help me out. I was just given as a Dell Axim palm pilot, and i am completely clueless on the programs that are essential for 3rd and 4th years. can someone post here the best overall programs that will make my life easier. thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

read discussion at:

Student Doctor Network Forums > Medical Forums > Clinical Rotations > PDAs - All *I* Need To Know About 'em

to recap:

1) Epocrates (free) - I'm dubious about the value of paying for Epocrates Pro

2) 5 minute Clinical Consult can be useful for a quick review right before presentations - multiple residents on different services liked the convenience

3) AvantGo (free) - can subscribe to various website newspapers, magazines, etc.

4) If there's a website you'd like to sync to your PDA, iSilo (free) is a great program

Avoid:
1) PDR for PDA - memory hog with a clunky interface

I am all about the free shareware for the palms...

1. Epocrates--very useful. I use it in lieu of my pocket pharmacopeia. You also get the ID guide for the 1st 30 days when you sign up as well.

2. Eponyms--very useful as well. I use this daily on most rotations I've had thus far. For all those diseases/signs/symptoms named for someone that you've never heard of until pimped OR you just can't keep straight (i.e. is that a Kernig sign or a Brudzinski sign?). I've been pimped on a few eponyms not in there, but it's a very comprehensive list overall.

3. Diagnosaurus (dxsaurus)---available at diagnosaurus.com. Useful early in third year to give you a differential diagnosis (not much else) for symptoms and/or diseases. I don't use it much, especially now, but it's free and some people really like it.

4. Medcalc or MedMath or MedRules---useful and/or fun calculations (how many days old am I? What is his Creatinine clearance? etc.)

I don't know how to use AvantGo...it came with my palm but nothing happens when I go into it except for options of "server" "add" "delete" and so on....can anyone out there explain to me how to use this program?

4. Miscellaneous---things acquired from others who found them useful (probably found on the internet somewhere, but I got beamed from others). These include an Immunization schedule, PalmEKG, MentSTAT. Ask around...there's a lot of cool programs out there to be found.