Technology PDA/IPHONE/IPOD/Black Berry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharMed2016

Eternal Scholar
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'll be starting my rotations in a couple of months and I was wondering what would be the best to get. I've heard of many recommendations from my classmates but I'm leaning towards an IPOD touch. What are the differences in terms of the amount of apps you can get between both. Also, I don't want to get a data plan unless absolutely neccessary so Wi-Fi ability is probably a must.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Well if you don't want cell/data service then an iPod touch is pretty much you're only choice, though I guess something like those small android tablets are another option. But ant medical app you'd get on an iPhone you can get on an iPod touch, same OS, you just won't have data connection unless you're on wifi.

Now, if you decide to get a phone device then I'd say stick with either iPhone or one of the android based phones. And even then I'd recommend waiting to see if a new iPhone and newer android phones are announced in the next few months.

You forgot Android. JUST SAYING...I love my Droid.

What will your primary use for it be?

Members don't see this ad :)
You forgot Android. JUST SAYING...I love my Droid.

What will your primary use for it be?

I'm hoping to use it to look up drug information, dosing, and other medication related information like compatibilities. Also, mayhaps use it for a few years after as a pharmacist and medical student. (Probably won't last that long but who knows) Therefore, I'll probably want to put in a medical dictionary and other apps concerning peds/onc/... :laugh:

I'm hoping to use it to look up drug information, dosing, and other medication related information like compatibilities. Also, mayhaps use it for a few years after as a pharmacist and medical student.

Of all the drug references out there, pharmacists tend to prefer Lexi Drugs for completeness, although that also makes it a little less useful as a quick reference tool.

It's widely available for most platforms, as well.

http://www.lexi.com/pda/comparison-chart/

Of all the drug references out there, pharmacists tend to prefer Lexi Drugs for completeness, although that also makes it a little less useful as a quick reference tool.

It's widely available for most platforms, as well.

http://www.lexi.com/pda/comparison-chart/

Thanks. There's also DailyMed Mobile (FDA) that was just launched which can be accessed free by anyone with internet. It has the package inserts which is what lexi-bases their information off of.

Thanks. There's also DailyMed Mobile (FDA) that was just launched which can be accessed free by anyone with internet. It has the package inserts which is what lexi-bases their information off of.

I think the iPod touch is probably perfect for you. It's what I bought.

That said, Samsung is coming out with a nice Android "iPod touch" device that is meant to compete in the same space.

It's called the Samsung Galaxy S Wifi. It comes in 4-inch and 5-inch versions depending on what you want. Seems like it could be pretty cool.

The key thing is that Android (to me) feels a bit more computery. You can have active widgets on the dashboard and customize stuff a lot more. But that also adds some extra complications that an iPod touch won't have. Overall, I'm happy with my touch, but if I'd known about these devices coming down the line, I probably would've held out until I could check these out.

Supposedly, there's going to be priced very competitively with the iPod touch.