Patient tracking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pikachu

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear colleagues,
I'm curious to learn how others maintain patient lists/signout (outside the EMR). Are most people using excel? My current system is not working for me, it makes a ton of extra work and I never keep it updated. I can't easily search it either. I'd greatly appreciated hearing about how others are managing this, don't skimp on the details! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I use a spreadsheet. CTRL-F quickly tells me everything I've done to past patients and anything I need to do for current patients.

I have worked with many-a-boomer who has no idea what's going on with the tens of thousands of patients they have cared for and basically wait until the nurse or front staff tells them that the patient has been waiting for 4 weeks to start and when are the contours going to be ready... Who? Oh, lets draw a few circles around the prostate in 3 minutes real quick from a sim a month ago and send to dosimetry and the machine for an emergent start the next day.

You'd be surprised how many people operate this way. And they make millions.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Dear colleagues,
I'm curious to learn how others maintain patient lists/signout (outside the EMR). Are most people using excel? My current system is not working for me, it makes a ton of extra work and I never keep it updated. I can't easily search it either. I'd greatly appreciated hearing about how others are managing this, don't skimp on the details! Thanks

Is there a reason it needs to be outside the EMR? I use Epic lists for this and it works really well. This removes a ton of the extra work of copying routine info from one place to another.

Members don't see this ad :)
I basically have no idea what's going on with the patients and wait until the nurse or front staff tells me that the patient has been waiting. Seems to work fine.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
In terms of stuff I need to do in short time frame, the ARIA tasks lists / care path is of value to me.

In terms of keeping track of who I've treated to try to occasionally audit who has fallen between the cracks in terms of f/u with me (and whether it's necessary to get them back in vs allow them to be discharged from my practice), it's an excel sheet. The excel sheet is very barebones though. No significant clinical information.

Reactions: 1 user
I read the obituaries in the newspaper

Oh, lets draw a few circles around the prostate in 3 minutes real quick from a sim a month ago and send to dosimetry and the machine for an emergent start the next day.

The counterargument is, that for standard fractionated and moderate hypofractionated treatments, this likely produces a clinical outcome similar to that with a more elaborate process...

Last edited: