Path for a Non-Trad Applicant with a low GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

verdanturfvibes

Reaction score
I have a 2.87cGPA and a 2.4sGPA. I want to pursue DO school, and I'm thinking about pursuing an SMP program at WesternU.

Tentatively, my plan is to study for the MCAT, work on my volunteer hours, and then apply for the SMP within 2 years. Since WesternU's minimum GPA requirement is a 2.5, should I still take a PostBacc?

It's been nearly 5 years, and I've been working since. If it helps, I'm currently an Environmental Scientist for my state.

Members don't see this ad.

Go read Goro's post on reinvention. I was nontrad, 2.7cGPA with a 50X MCAT. Had 3 acceptances.

I have a 2.87cGPA and a 2.4sGPA. I want to pursue DO school, and I'm thinking about pursuing an SMP program at WesternU.

Tentatively, my plan is to study for the MCAT, work on my volunteer hours, and then apply for the SMP within 2 years. Since WesternU's minimum GPA requirement is a 2.5, should I still take a PostBacc?
Yes.

No med schools is doing you any favors by admitting you when you have a red flag of a GPA that telegraphs doing very poorly in med school.

Read this:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
30 hrs worth

I see...is it fine if some of these courses are retakes of classes I got C's in? Just to brush up for MCAT material. I'm planning to take courses you suggested in your previous post for reinvention (Medical microbiology, anatomy, cancer biology etc...)

I see...is it fine if some of these courses are retakes of classes I got C's in? Just to brush up for MCAT material. I'm planning to take courses you suggested in your previous post for reinvention (Medical microbiology, anatomy, cancer biology etc...)
Don't bother to retake a c unless you're sure you can get it a the second time. Better to take a different course

Reactions: 1 user