Low stats applicant. cGPA 3.1 sGPA 3.15 Strong MCAT. Mediocre ECs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Samanosuke

Reaction score
Hey all. Just been stressing out and working on my med applications (2025/2026 cycle). Note: I am a Canadian applicant.

Been studying for the MCAT (projecting 520s if all goes well based off FLs)

GPA is on the much lower side due to a horrible first year (0.5 GPA...yeah) Without it my GPA would be ~3.6 :(

Trend: 0.5 GPA (1st year), 3.2 GPA (2nd year), 3.64 (3rd year), 3.58 (4th year), and 3.85 GPA (5th year). Graduated with First Class Award + Dean's Honor List.

My ECs by the time I apply would be

400 hours volunteering at a mental health center focusing on the recreational department (lots of patient contact) ensuring patients complete their program successfully (Help with physical activity, ensure they are well entertained, fed, and have plenty discussions to check in on them)
650-700 hours clinical work at a hospital using equipment, talking to patients, assisting procedures
No research/shadowing
200 hours volunteering at a cancer support community helping with fundraising as well providing assistance to affected families

Am I doomed, I have too many credits where doing courses only does very tiny to my cGPA even if it's 4.0.

Members don't see this ad.

Impossible to deal with hypothetical. Ypu do NOT have a high MCAT...only high practice scores, and it's easy to hit .300 in batting practice.

The rising GPA trend is good, and so things might not be as bad as it seems

Reactions: 1 user
Impossible to deal with hypothetical. Ypu do NOT have a high MCAT...only high practice scores, and it's easy to hit .300 in batting practice.

The rising GPA trend is good, and so things might not be as bad as it seems
You’re right. I shouldn’t get too ahead of myself there. Really do hope I get my goal though, would help my app so much.

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
You’re right. I shouldn’t get too ahead of myself there. Really do hope I get my goal though, would help my app so much.
Good morning see if you can get retroactive withdrawals for all of your bad grade science courses. This is a thing at some schools, and the worst that they will do is say no

Good morning see if you can get retroactive withdrawals for all of your bad grade science courses. This is a thing at some schools, and the worst that they will do is say no
Good morning! Appreciate the tip, did not know that was a thing. It really is unfortunate considering how much higher my gpa would be if we just ignore that abysmal first year altogether. Even with a great comeback story as it is, it still does a ton of damage to my application. Decided to do a post bacc (non degree status) to continue upward trend while applying. Is this good?

Good morning! Appreciate the tip, did not know that was a thing. It really is unfortunate considering how much higher my gpa would be if we just ignore that abysmal first year altogether. Even with a great comeback story as it is, it still does a ton of damage to my application. Decided to do a post bacc (non degree status) to continue upward trend while applying. Is this good?
That's fine

Have you re-taken your 1st year classes and converted into A/B?
No LOR is not good.
Hypothetical MCAT is not good either.
Come back after MCAT score.
All the best!!!

Have you re-taken your 1st year classes and converted into A/B?
No LOR is not good.
Hypothetical MCAT is not good either.
Come back after MCAT score.
All the best!!!
Yup! Redone most of them and got A’s snd A+. That semester saved me from dismissal and helped me transfer to the first uni i hoped to have gotten to beforehand. Then I popped off hard there. Sadly AAMCAS/AAMCOMAS dont replace reattempts and count them as a separate course…if they did allow my gpa would go all the way to ~3.5.

Have my MD LOR all set. In the midst of getting my science profs LOR rn.

Also yea that was my bad this post was premature with no mcat, I think I just really wanted some reassurance but will definitely come back once MCAT done. Much appreciated for the well wishes, friend :)