PA after Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bazuka

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know some dude who is considering PA school after graduating pharmacy school 5 years ago and working in retail. I am a bit of confused if its even worth it. Pharmacist in retail are making almost the same as a PA. With 2 years of unemployment, going to PA school would definitely put on some loans. PAs work in clinics and it would not make as much difference in the type of work unless he decides to go into specialty like surgery.
I told him do two kore years and go to medical school but he is in his 40s and has a kiddo so that would not make sense.

thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I know some dude who is considering PA school after graduating pharmacy school 5 years ago and working in retail. I am a bit of confused if its even worth it. Pharmacist in retail are making almost the same as a PA. With 2 years of unemployment, going to PA school would definitely put on some loans. PAs work in clinics and it would not make as much difference in the type of work unless he decides to go into specialty like surgery.
I told him do two kore years and go to medical school but he is in his 40s and has a kiddo so that would not make sense.

thoughts?

In my area - school bus drivers are making 23/hour with state benefits. I hear a lot of them drive bus in the morning, and then work as a lunchlady/lunchman mid day - and make massive bank with state benefits.

I dunno about the pharmacist/PA thing - all seems like such an unfortunate mess. Has he considered driving bus and heating up school lunch? That’s what I would do..

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
But maybe, just maybe, PAs can get raises...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

thoughts?
Why doesnt he just drop out of pharmacy school to do PA?

PAs make ~$120k based on those few that I've talked to about salaries. Seems to be supported by this thread. $150 is probably possible but something of an outlier or in HCOL.

It’s a silly reason but I can’t pick a career where I would be called someone’s assistant.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s a silly reason but I can’t pick a career where I would be called someone’s assistant.
but you can pick a career where you might be unemployed? But hey you get to be called "doctor". Sort of. Ok maybe almost never.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
but you can pick a career where you might be unemployed? But hey you get to be called "doctor". Sort of. Ok maybe almost never.
Doctor of underemployment, doctor of paying off student loans forever, doctor of looking for another career :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Reactions: 1 users

Don’t care about being called doctor or not.

I know a physician that is commonly referred to as - “Dr. Douchebag”.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
In my area - school bus drivers are making 23/hour with state benefits. I hear a lot of them drive bus in the morning, and then work as a lunchlady/lunchman mid day - and make massive bank with state benefits.

I dunno about the pharmacist/PA thing - all seems like such an unfortunate mess. Has he considered driving bus and heating up school lunch? That’s what I would do..
Then go do it.

You'd rather report to the front store manager of Wags, who may or may not have a degree?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
You'd rather report to the front store manager of Wags, who may or may not have a degree?

Don’t work at wags and don’t report to store manager. But regardless of your role whether rph, physician, engineer etc. you would report to someone unless you are self-employed in which case you would report to your clients. Only way of not reporting to someone is to retire. Whether someone has degree or not is irrelevant because management is the same in that all they care for is bottom line.

So, it’s non-issue.

Don’t work at wags and don’t report to store manager. But regardless of your role whether rph, physician, engineer etc. you would report to someone unless you are self-employed in which case you would report to your clients. Only way of not reporting to someone is to retire. Whether someone has degree or not is irrelevant because management is the same in that all they care for is bottom line.

So, it’s non-issue.
You sound real petty by saying that you can't do PA because the A stands for assistant. They have it lot better than pharmacists right now but whatever. You do you.

Reactions: 3 users
You sound real petty by saying that you can't do PA because the A stands for assistant. They have it lot better than pharmacists right now but whatever. You do you.

Isn’t the pharmacist somewhat of an “ultimate assistant”. It’s almost like all we really want to do is “assist”. Pharm”assist”

• Haha
Isn’t the pharmacist somewhat of an “ultimate assistant”. It’s almost like all we really want to do is “assist”. Pharm”assist”
Pharmacist is the "assistant" to anti-mask, anti-vaccine, anti-science Karens

That’s what I said it’s silly. But can’t change the way you are wired :)

Anyways regardless of your title, “PA” or “NP” or whatever, I wouldn’t wanna do it after receiving just few months of training. You wouldn’t know medicine in-depth and you wouldn’t know what you don’t know.

If you want to practice medicine, become a physician rather than taking a short-cut. I could never do it because dealing with bodily fluids (blood/ puke/ poop/ semen/ vaginal discharge/ urine) isn’t my cup of tea.

Anyways regardless of your title, “PA” or “NP” or whatever, I wouldn’t wanna do it after receiving just few months of training. You wouldn’t know medicine in-depth and you wouldn’t know what you don’t know.

If you want to practice medicine, become a physician rather than taking a short-cut. I could never do it because dealing with bodily fluids (blood/ puke/ poop/ semen/ vaginal discharge/ urine) isn’t my cup of tea.

You are right - the amount of semen and vaginal discharge that is everywhere keeps me away from the profession as well.

Blood, puke, and poop - I can deal with…. But when it comes to semen and vaginal discharge - I draw the line.

• Haha

I agree with you. This is why I limit my own care to not include PA's or NPs. I do not feel that the schooling and training they received are enough to diagnose conditions and prescribe medications. Most do not consult with MDs ever and some are left running outpatient clinics solo without a MD on site.