OSUCOM Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yep, I'm that one. It actually went really well. I have worked at Williams Energy in downtown Tulsa for 6 years and when I told them they were very supportive. They even asked me to stay on part time to answer questions (I won't have to go in so that will make it easier to manage). They are a great company to work for but I have to follow my heart into medicine.

Is there a chance I would remember who you were from our 'introductions' on the admitted student day?

waydo2b said:
Hey Determined,

Are you the guy who hadn’t told his company that you were quiting to go school? If so... how did that work out?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! My name is Tiffany. I just left the "land of the waitlist" and received my acceptance letter last Thursady. So, I have a lot left to do!! I was hoping to talk or meet with people from this class so I "know" someone come next week. I am really excited and I will be glad to meet you. BTW, does anyone know when I will get my financial aid packet or any other helpful pointers from those who have been through this process? Thanks, and I hope to meet you soon!

TiffanyB said:
Hello! My name is Tiffany. I just left the "land of the waitlist" and received my acceptance letter last Thursady. So, I have a lot left to do!! I was hoping to talk or meet with people from this class so I "know" someone come next week. I am really excited and I will be glad to meet you. BTW, does anyone know when I will get my financial aid packet or any other helpful pointers from those who have been through this process? Thanks, and I hope to meet you soon!

Congratulations Tiffany :) :cool:. Call the office of Student Affairs and ask for FA information. I'm sure they will be fast-tracking your stuff to push it through. An online entrance interview, Master Promissary Note (with your lender of choice from the OSU COM list), etc. is needed. All of this FA stuff is listed on a 1 page doc, 4 or 5 items. I used T.H.E. (Northstar.com) for my lender. I'm sure there are many good ones.

Please join the first years for an informal get-acquainted gathering Tuesday Aug. 9 (TOMORROW) at the Gray Snail on Cherry St. (aka 15th St.). The time is 5:30 pm. Anyone is welcome. I'm planning on bringing my wife. I know first years and some second years are dropping by. It's a great excuse to celebrate your recent good news. I'm sure you can get answers to most of your questions from this group.

Way to go :thumbup: . We look forward to meeting you soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow Tiffany! Congratulations, but man, you're going to have a crazy week getting everything in order! haha. are you already in tulsa? If so, you should definitely join us tomorrow. Sure, nobody knows what anyone looks like, but that should make it all the more fun! (actually, I don't think there will be too many people there at that time of day, shouldn't be too hard to distinguish)

In other news, after 3 days of phone tag, I finally talked to my MS-II for about 30 minutes yesterday. A really nice guy--I'm going up to the school tomorrow to pick up his microscope. Feels so good to get the ball rolling!
One final note, is anyone else looking forward to school, but not looking so forward to orientation?? :)

Athena918 said:
Wow Tiffany! Congratulations, but man, you're going to have a crazy week getting everything in order! haha. are you already in tulsa? If so, you should definitely join us tomorrow. Sure, nobody knows what anyone looks like, but that should make it all the more fun! (actually, I don't think there will be too many people there at that time of day, shouldn't be too hard to distinguish)

In other news, after 3 days of phone tag, I finally talked to my MS-II for about 30 minutes yesterday. A really nice guy--I'm going up to the school tomorrow to pick up his microscope. Feels so good to get the ball rolling!
One final note, is anyone else looking forward to school, but not looking so forward to orientation?? :)

I guess I'll meet everyone tomorrow night! Yeah, things are really crazy...mostly trying to get my immunization records. I'm going to pick up my financial aid here in a little bit. I live here in Jenks...been in Tulsa most of my life. How did you find out the contact information for your mentor? :)

Did you go to Jenks? I graduated from Jenks in 2000...
I got a letter in the mail last week from the Student Affairs office that told me I'd been assigned my mentor. Then he called me first, last Thursday.

I'm sure that you'll get everything set up (it's just going to be crammed into a very short period!) but if you're curious about where you're getting your microscope, you might call the office and see when they'll have you matched.

Congrats Tiffany! Sounds like you are getting everything done... if you have anymore questions we are all here to help in whatever way we can!
I too have spoken with my MS-II... Adrienne Loftis.. she's really cool and very helpful.. she's made me even more excited about starting up. She helped with orientation this year and also said that there were many in her class last year that felt sooo overwhelmed by orientation last year that they were in tears by the end of that week. So she stressed the point that it will seem like a lot but not to let it get to us... everything wil be OOO KKKAAYYYY. :)
I will be at the Gray Snail tomorrow and will be bringing along another one of our 1st year colleagues and potentially my husband. Looking forward to it!

Athena918 said:
Did you go to Jenks? I graduated from Jenks in 2000...
I got a letter in the mail last week from the Student Affairs office that told me I'd been assigned my mentor. Then he called me first, last Thursday.

I'm sure that you'll get everything set up (it's just going to be crammed into a very short period!) but if you're curious about where you're getting your microscope, you might call the office and see when they'll have you matched.

I went to Union, but graduated in '92. Thanks for the tips and see you tomorrow night!

Congrats again Tiffany. I graduated in 92' as well, but from Broken Arrow.

BTW, have you already filled out your FASBA? I did not see you mention it and just wanted to make sure since you have to have that before you can even get a promissary note with one of the lenders.

TiffanyB said:

Determined said:
Congrats again Tiffany. I graduated in 92' as well, but from Broken Arrow.

BTW, have you already filled out your FASBA? I did not see you mention it and just wanted to make sure since you have to have that before you can even get a promissary note with one of the lenders.

Yeah, I actually filed it in May in case I did get accepted, so hopefully the rest will go fairly smoothly. Anybody know where to go for TB testing? :)

You can get cheap TB testing at the city-county health dept or for slightly more (but still cheap) you can go to the OSU clinic on southwest blvd.

Yeah, I got mine done at the health department, the branch at 3rd and Utica, and it was $5. Also an interesting place to people watch while you wait. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
How very politically correct :)

Athena918 said:
Yeah, I got mine done at the health department, the branch at 3rd and Utica, and it was $5. Also an interesting place to people watch while you wait. :)

Athena918 said:

Wow, they charged me $10 at the main branch at 51st & 129th :(

See everyone soon.

Okay, I'll comment! I really had a fun time with everyone last night (and honestly hadn't intended to stay two and a half hours) but everyone was so easy to talk to and friendly! We are going to be a kick butt class! :)

Athena918 said:
Okay, I'll comment! I really had a fun time with everyone last night (and honestly hadn't intended to stay two and a half hours) but everyone was so easy to talk to and friendly! We are going to be a kick butt class! :)

It WAS great to meet everyone and match some names with faces! It will make orientation less nerve-racking to see familiar people. I had a great time and really appreciate all of the "inside scoop" we got from the MS-IIs. See eveyone soon!

I am glad we all decided to get together! You guys are gonna be a fun group...

Yep... I'll jump in on this... I really enjoyed meeting everyone!! I feel so humbled... everyone is so wonderful and so talented. Am I really worthy of this?? If nothing else, I'm very excited about the year. See you all on Monday!

MS-I's,

I have burned a CD-RW with all of the files from my first year. Many of them were created by my classmates or myself, but several have been passed down over the years.

I will put this CD in the file cabinet across from the library front desk labeled "MS-I Files." Feel free to copy the files off of this CD onto your laptop, flash drive, or another CD via the library computer lab computers if needed. I'd prefer if they didn't leave the library so everyone gets a chance to copy them.

There are other CDs in the drawer, so look for the one with the date created (8/11/05) written it. The other CDs may contain files from previous years, but are not as comprehensive.

The files are summarized notes, study guides, learning objectives, answered homework problems, practice quizzes, and more.

Good Luck and don't forget --> Histo & Anatomy Exam 1 are the most important exams all year. I have the files organized by exam, so you are welcome to take a look at those particular files. Printing is free on campus.

-Justin

Hi all,

I have a suggestion for anyone who is interested.

It'd be great if at least one (more the merrier) of you guys and gals entering OSUCOM would start up a daily journal on medschooldiary.com

I know I'd enjoy reading it. :)

Take care,
Johnny

ps...
(ditto for second year students)

JohnnyOU said:
Hi all,

I have a suggestion for anyone who is interested.

It'd be great if at least one (more the merrier) of you guys and gals entering OSUCOM would start up a daily journal on medschooldiary.com

I know I'd enjoy reading it. :)

Take care,
Johnny

ps...
(ditto for second year students)

hmm, interesting hypothesis. :) I actually haven't checked out the med school diaries too much, but as long as signing up doesn't obligate me to write an entry every single day...it could be kinda fun. You and I probably have a similar "profile" too: traditional applicant, OU undergrad, applied to both OU/OSU... I'll check it out.

this isn't exactly medical...but a few of the new MSIs are going to suede tonight if anyone is looking for something to do. PM me.

Athena918 said:
this isn't exactly medical...but a few of the new MSIs are going to suede tonight if anyone is looking for something to do. PM me.

I went last night to Suede to see Hero Factor with Ben Kilgore, but It looks like Hero Factor will be there again tonight. It was pretty packed last night---I expect to see more of the same tonight.

For those of you that are interested in where live bands are, check out: http://www.urbantulsa.com and click on "Music."

It was fun meeting everyone this past Tuesday. Enjoy the last weekend of freedom and no pressure. :cool: :sleep: :scared:

See ya Monday

Hero Factor is so good live. I think that a band called "Silver" is playing tonight though. it'll still probably be fun...gotta make this a memorable last weekend before school!

Athena918 said:
Hero Factor is so good live. I think that a band called "Silver" is playing tonight though. it'll still probably be fun...gotta make this a memorable last weekend before school!

Well it says Hero Factor is at Suede tonight, but it also says they are at Boston's. I bet Boston's is the correct one. This isn't the LAST weekend, by they way. Next week doesn't count.

Man, I'm sorry I missed all of the fun with everyone at Suede but unfortunately I had pre-arranged engagements!! How was it?? Being new to the area, I'm unfamiliar with the local live bands and am curious to hear about who is good.
(let's all sleep extra hard these last several days since we will get behind quickly!)

OSUdoc09 said:
Man, I'm sorry I missed all of the fun with everyone at Suede but unfortunately I had pre-arranged engagements!! How was it?? Being new to the area, I'm unfamiliar with the local live bands and am curious to hear about who is good.
(let's all sleep extra hard these last several days since we will get behind quickly!)

Well to answer your question as to "how was it?" --> it's about 4am, and we all just got home.

There is still over a week left to go out before classes start.

Tremble in fear first years!!! Bua ha ha. This is your last week to have FUN. And dr nick will be BACK IN TOWN. Boo yeah.
Hey, sorry Justin, evidently my cell phone does NOT WORK IN MY PARENTS HOUSE. How lame is that. Just got a new phone like 2 weeks ago, and I had the voice messages stacking up. :mad:

Athena918 said:
hmm, interesting hypothesis. :) I actually haven't checked out the med school diaries too much, but as long as signing up doesn't obligate me to write an entry every single day...it could be kinda fun. You and I probably have a similar "profile" too: traditional applicant, OU undergrad, applied to both OU/OSU... I'll check it out.
Athena,
I hope you decide to go for it...but only if you want to.

Most of the folks doing it only write something every now and then.

I'm not a traditional....I'm a second-career applicant...was a graphic designer/internet developer for 15 yrs. So I'm old compared to most, twentysixteen. :D If you went into a walmart in Oklahoma during the 90's you saw a bunch of my work. I hated it tho. ;)

Johnny

DrMom said:
Hey, we're about the same age ;) ... and medicine is my third (and better be my last) career.
Do you and DrDad have kiddos? *you two are hitched, right?*

If so, I was wondering how that was going with you guys in medical school.

Oh man...DUH...dumb question "dad"..."mom"... sorry, sometimes I leave my brain in my other keyboard.

Anyway, how's that going?

We've got a 7 yr old and a 1 yr old, both strapping young lads (boys)...so I'm interested.

Johnny
ps...what were your first 2 careers?

DrDad is a friend of mine, but not my hubby (who I refer to on here as Mr. DrMom :))

I have an almost 10 year old daughter. Med school is definitely do-able with a family, but sometimes school has to give for family and other times family has to give for school. You're welcome to PM me if you have specific questions. :)

btw: career #1 was teacher (originally 6th/7th grade science, later TCC and ORU adjunct instructor) career #2 was administrative work for medical societies

DrMom said:
Hey, we're about the same age ;) ... and medicine is my third (and better be my last) career.

Me too (~twentysixteen).

Based on the resulting $100K+ debt, medicine will definitely be my last career. Gotta pay back that dough.

I saw some cool TCC televised seminars done by OSU Medicine folks these last few days. Scott Paulson (MS) on street drugs and Dr. Bransbach (sp?) on nutrition.

I'm pretty dis-oriented :eek:, so I'm glad we get a full dose/week.

First let me say, I'm glad you all get the opportunity to spend an entire week in orientation. Should be fun, lowercase fun. (and welcome to OSUCOM, of course)

Second, the SAA (Student Auxillary Association) will be selling scrubs in the student lounge from 9-12 on Mon, Thu and Fri. This helps raise money for things like a Thanksgiving dinner for us, etc.

SAA is a group for spouses and significant figures. They have an official meeting at 7 p.m. on Aug. 23, but if your s/sf is interested they can come up and talk with them during the scrub sale too.

p.s. You all have already started studying, right? ;)

OrthoFixation said:
Scott Paulson (MS) on street drugs and Dr. Bransbach (sp?) on nutrition.
Let the healing begin!!! Preach it up, Dr B!!! :p
:clap: :clap: :clap:

OrthoFixation said:
Me too (~twentysixteen).

Based on the resulting $100K+ debt, medicine will definitely be my last career. Gotta pay back that dough.

I saw some cool TCC televised seminars done by OSU Medicine folks these last few days. Scott Paulson (MS) on street drugs and Dr. Bransbach (sp?) on nutrition.

I'm pretty dis-oriented :eek:, so I'm glad we get a full dose/week.

You have a unique perspective on the definition of the word "cool." It will benefit you in the first month of medical school.

Tonight (Tuesday, August 16th)

Brookside Bar, 8:30pm

33rd & Peoria, next door to Suede

Medical Students & anyone else you care to bring.

DrMom said:
So, how're you guys doing now that school has started? :)

I'm OK . . . adjusting to the volume and modifying my study techniques.

Haven't had time to visit SDN.

Are you on rotations now? How's that going?

rotations are good :thumbup: I start my community hospital months next week...looking forward to it.

First semester is a big adjustment for most. Just keep on top of things and make changes as you need to. Don't let the first anatomy or histology tests sneak up on you. :)

I'll be up at school next week on Mon or Tues. Maybe I'll run into some of you newbies.

See you soon DRMOM EmuModulator

Yep, it sure is quiet in here.

Back to the books . . .

DrMom said:
you sneak in
you sneak out

;)
Hi DrMom,
I may've asked you this...and forgot...but have you decided what area of medicine you're going into?

Johnny :)

DrMom said:
I have applied to emergency medicine programs. :D

Which ones?

Is St. Anthony's taking applications now?