This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

latinadentist

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I came on here b/c I'm looking for some honest opinions on things I can do to improve my chances of matching at an ortho residency. I am a new D2, and let's just say that the D1 year was not what I expected in many different aspects. I feel like I have a handle on things now and know it will be a battle. Any thoughts and feedback are welcome. Here is what I'm currently working with / plan on doing:

- Currently low GPA, but I optimistically think I can get it to a 3.3 by the end of D3 year (yes that's getting a 3.8 - 4.0 in each semester moving forward). It could be higher, but to my understanding, I would apply for ortho residency before D4 fall grades are posted. I'm also not counting on the master's classes as I am unsure if they will be on the same transcript or separate. Class rank is unsure at the moment.

- Born in Latin American country (not specifying for privacy reasons) & Fluent Spanish speaker

- I absolutely love orthodontics

- Plan on completing a Masters in Oral Biology & Research from the masters in oral biology

- additional research through faculty and ortho residents at the end of D2 summer

- ASDA member (no leadership position this year, but hopefully next year)

- Class representative (all first-year) (will target ortho classes as they come)

- I attend one of the oldest dental schools in the country (I would consider it a "respectable" school)

Besides what I have mentioned above, is there anything else I can do? Would I have a better chance at a Match or Non-Match school?

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately that GPA will probably get your app filtered out before they even look at anything else at most schools. My school gets about 220 applications and only has 24 interviewees and 4 residents chosen. When they get those 220 applications they have to have some way to start narrowing it down and GPA is a huge one.

Apply as broadly as you can afford. You may end up at a private, 3 year, expensive institution but only you can decide if that’s worth it to you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately that GPA will probably get your app filtered out before they even look at anything else at most schools. My school gets about 220 applications and only has 24 interviewees and 4 residents chosen. When they get those 220 applications they have to have some way to start narrowing it down and GPA is a huge one.

Apply as broadly as you can afford. You may end up at a private, 3 year, expensive institution but only you can decide if that’s worth it to you.
Ok, thank you. This was helpful.

If you’re “struggling” with the dental curriculum, why are you doing additional work for a masters degree? I think you’re biting off more than you can chew. It’s not likely for someone performing below a 3.0 to all of a sudden be pulling down a 4.0.

I think you’re a long shot for ortho, or any specialty really. If on the remote chance you do get into an ortho program, I suspect it will be a program like the Georgia School of Orthodontics that will cost you $400,000+.

Sorry to be so direct.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 user