OR Shoes for small feet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tulsajoe94

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Size 3/4 Women’s or 3 kids. Many of the shoes recommended on here don’t come in my size so I’d appreciate help from others w/ small feet.

Members don't see this ad.

Size 3/4 Women’s or 3 kids. Many of the shoes recommended on here don’t come in my size so I’d appreciate help from others w/ small feet.

They do make Dansko and Sanita clogs in kid sizes (smallest "women's" is a 35).
Can also try crocs; not pretty, but should have options in all sizes and much cheaper.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wear Birkenstock Bostons exclusively to operate. I am sure they make a kids version.
You might be surprised. On their website they only have wool felt kids shoes, one with a big print cartoon panda which there is 0% chance I would ever buy.

Not finding Dansko kids options on their website, not really interested in buy off ebay at this point.
The Sanitas were a good rec.

Last edited:
Tough size to work with. Asics Gel Resolution comes in the kid sizes you mention.

I stay away from Dansko, I know the old mantra but I found the clog to really make me roll my ankles.

You may want to look into getting a pair of custom orthotics to throw into any shoe you find. I'm biased because I cast/prescribe them, but I find they really help. I can go all day walking in my flat vans with orthotics in and my feet feel great.

Also try reaching out to the manufacturers to see if they do custom sizes. I know some do for people with huge feet. I prefer Hoka/Altra, then Asics and Brooks for my running shoes.

In the OR I use my vans w/ orthotics. And compression socks too.

I'm glad a podiatrist chimed in. I wish I had a better appreciation for my feet when I started surgical training. I'm a long-time runner with flat feet, but never really had much trouble until residency.

Wore a cheap, light pair of Sketchers when I started residency that really wore down my knees and back after two years. Switched to Sanitas for the last three years and didn't have anymore issues.

However, when I did my CT surgery fellowship, the Sanitas didn't seem to cut it anymore and I got horrible plantar fasciitis when I tried Danskos. It took several months to heal after a podiatrist fitted me with orthotics that I put in a pair of new Asics running shoes, plus compression socks.

If you can't find a pair of comfortable clogs, find a running shoe you like with good cushioning (I agree with the Hokas or Asics), get some custom orthotics from a podiatrist, and wear compression socks. Even if surgery is not your long term career, invest in your feet now if you anticipate working on your feet a lot.

Big thanks to y’all taking the time to answer w/ specifics. @GreenHousePub would orthotics for static standing be different than for running?

Big thanks to y’all taking the time to answer w/ specifics. @GreenHousePub would orthotics for static standing be different than for running?

Not typically. You should get them cast with your foot in neutral and non-weight bearing. I avoid the new "scanner" type or foam-box casting and prefer to do old-school plaster casts myself.
Running orthotics may be made with a material that has a little more give to it, but perfectly ok for just standing and walking.