Small odds, I'm sure, but try?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jacks14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always really loved pediatric orthopedics. I think being able to help someone feel better and improve their life in such a tangible way is amazing.

That being said... Female DO student. Average grades but very involved. Step 1 is not great (<220) - standardized tests have never been my forte but only had really positive remarks on rotations.
Was employed ($) in the orthopedic clinic at my local children's hospital for first two years of med school, and now currently doing research with the same Dept. Hope to get LOR from a past peds Ortho society president I worked with and spine surgeon.

I know the odds are very much against me and I'm working my ass off for step 2. Wondering how naive it is to think I can squeak in somewhere with a ton of hard work and being a fairly normal person who is good at interacting with others.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Average. put more emphasis on step 1 and 2, and most programs around here where I want to stay (Midwest) seem to prefer step vs comlex

Members don't see this ad :)
Average. put more emphasis on step 1 and 2, and most programs around here where I want to stay (Midwest) seem to prefer step vs comlex
Ortho for DOs is one of the specialties where comlex probably matters more

Reactions: 1 users

Will be an uphill battle, you can surely try and rotate, but you’ll need to be awesome to have a chance. There programs that are more forgiving than others of board scores.

Will be an uphill battle, you can surely try and rotate, but you’ll need to be awesome to have a chance. There programs that are more forgiving than others of board scores.

Out of curiosity what programs would you say are more forgiving of boards?

Out of curiosity what programs would you say are more forgiving of boards?

Jack Hughston
PCOM
Broward
Plainview
MountainView

I've rotated at some of the sites above and they have residents with scores less than 220. Atleast one of the recent grades from all these programs had less than a 220 on Step 1.

Reactions: 1 user
Jack Hughston
PCOM
Broward
Plainview
MountainView

I've rotated at some of the sites above and they have residents with scores less than 220. Atleast one of the recent grades from all these programs had less than a 220 on Step 1.

Can I pm you?

Jack Hughston
PCOM
Broward
Plainview
MountainView

Can I also PM you? Would appreciate help

Jack Hughston
PCOM
Broward
Plainview
MountainView

Maybe Mountain View and Jack Hughston. The rest are untrue. Good luck trying to get into anywhere this year with below a 250/700

You didn't come on here to confirm whether you had an uphill battle. I think you should plan to take 1-2 years off between your 3rd and 4th years if possible to do research with an allopathic program if your desire is to match allopathic. I am not familier with the scores needed for osteopathic programs. When you take those years off, you are not just doing resarch but you are taking call with the PGY2s and PGY3s when they need you most (the weekends), you are attending all their conferences, you are helping them write and complete their required resesarch projects. You essentially need to make their lives so much better, that they are begging their PD to rank you highly, but it will likely take 2 yrs of work.

Everyone has different life needs and responsbilities. WHen I was aan MS3 I thought seriously about what I would do if I didn't match. With a wife and 2 kids I know that if I didn't match the first time, I would give it 1 more year of trying and then I would pick something else because I needed to be able to provide for them. I know others who it took them 4 years of research and/or prelmin general surgery stints before they landed an ortho residency spot.

Do some soul searching and decide how much stress you can take and the years of your life you are willing to expend trying to achieve this goal.

Reactions: 2 users