OPT question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prerna24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows that how would the use my OPT after MPH affect the OPT after DDS? As told by the international office, I am assuming that at every level of study one is eligible for an OPT. I think a masters degree is different from DDS that is a doctoral degree but I am not sure.
Also, does anyone know that once you are on OPT are you still on F1 visa status meaning that if the f 1 visa is valid for another 3 years or so at the time one gets admission in dental school while doing OPT, what happens?

I know this is sort of complex but people like me in the same situation would know exactly what I am talking about. Please reply and if someone who is already in dental school happens to see this and did something like this please please let us know how it played out?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone knows that how would the use my OPT after MPH affect the OPT after DDS? As told by the international office, I am assuming that at every level of study one is eligible for an OPT. I think a masters degree is different from DDS that is a doctoral degree but I am not sure.
Also, does anyone know that once you are on OPT are you still on F1 visa status meaning that if the f 1 visa is valid for another 3 years or so at the time one gets admission in dental school while doing OPT, what happens?

I know this is sort of complex but people like me in the same situation would know exactly what I am talking about. Please reply and if someone who is already in dental school happens to see this and did something like this please please let us know how it played out?

Hello,

I am in the same boat as you are, To the best of my understanding as per the information which I got form my International office.

The VISA status remain F-1 on OPT until you get the H1-B.

Hopefully you get into a dental school, then that school will provide you an I-20 and your status will be updated in SEVIS, your OPT will lapse.
You don't need to file F-1 VISA until either you complete your dental studies within that F-1 VISA period or your VISA expires, whichever comes first.

If you get H-1B then you need to file for F-1 again.

Hope it helps:)

Thanks

And OPT is given for each academic level, If you get one degree and finishe OPT for a year and tham again if you join another program, still you will get an OPT for that academic program again...so dont worry about OPT....

Members don't see this ad :)
And OPT is given for each academic level, If you get one degree and finishe OPT for a year and tham again if you join another program, still you will get an OPT for that academic program again...so dont worry about OPT....
Thanks guys. This makes so much sense.

With any legal question such as this, you should really consult an immigration lawyer rather than trusting some word of mouth. USCIS website Q&A's on OPT (http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/OPT_4Apr08.pdf) say nothing about whether the "post-completion" OPT can be re-issued after a new degree if you already used up all your OPT months after your previous degree. It does clearly say though that "pre-completion" OPT affects the "post-completion" one. I hope the answers above are right, but I would strongly suggest to verify them with a lawyer. When I was going through this process years ago, I was assuming that the total number of months you can get under all OPTs combined is just 12 months, but hopefully I am wrong.
Good luck!

Update: Oops, looks like I was wrong... for example Northwestern University international office says that you can get a 12 months of OPT per academic level: http://www.northwestern.edu/international/student/current/OPT.html

Good luck again!

Last edited:

Though it is true that OPT is issued for each academic level, you will not qualify for another OPT after DDS if you started/used you OPT after MPH. This is because MPH and DDS are both considered to be graduate level programs.

Since, this is a critical issue, I think that rather than relying on responses from students on SDN, you should consult your International Student Office since they are supposed to be experts in handling such issues.

Though it is true that OPT is issued for each academic level, you will not qualify for another OPT after DDS if you started/used you OPT after MPH. This is because MPH and DDS are both considered to be graduate level programs.

Since, this is a critical issue, I think that rather than relying on responses from students on SDN, you should consult your International Student Office since they are supposed to be experts in handling such issues.

The international office says that OPT is issued at each academic level. They don't know anything about MPH and DDS issue. The reason why I put this on SDN was to hear from someone who used their OPT after MPH already and were in dental school or graduated from dental school. They would be the people to know. I have tried everything to the best of my ability but still not sure about it.
Anyways I am not going to blindly believe what people say especially those who have already been admitted to dental schools and now wish to advise every other person on this forum..

very true, i would rather add check with an attorney too.

Hi ,

I know it has been 13 years but were you able to get OPT again after your DDS?
I am also pursing DDS currently and have used OPT after my MPH.
Any tips would be helpful