OHSU vs Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dovedust

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm kind of in a dilemma and would love any feedback or advice. I just got off the waitlist from OHSU, though I have been set on going to Georgetown. GU gave me 20k in financial aid a year, and I'm not quite sure what my financial aid looks like at OHSU. I'm from California, so cost would be same at either school.

What I love about Georgetown is its mission and strong global health programs. Huge cons for me at OHSU is their weekly exams. OHSU also doesn't have summer vacations or strength in global health.

I'm just feeling conflicted because of the huge disparity in rankings between the two schools. Not sure what kind of medicine I want to go into, but am interested in surgery, pediatrics, and ER.

Also, I'd be happy living in either DC or Portland, so location isn't a huge factor.

Any input is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

As high as the ranking is of OHSU compared to Georgetown, the match list of OHSU seems pretty lackluster, so you're not missing out on that much. Honestly, if ranking disparity is your main concern, go to Georgetown...if you don't mind matching on the east coast.

As high as the ranking is of OHSU compared to Georgetown, the match list of OHSU seems pretty lackluster, so you're not missing out on that much. Honestly, if ranking disparity is your main concern, go to Georgetown...if you don't mind matching on the east coast.

These comments are pretty misleading and generally uninformed. Match lists can only really be interpreted by specialty, which no one is familiar with unless you're in it. I'd say that is a mostly solid EM list, but I can't speak for other specialties.

Chase that dollar. With the 20k/year what do the COA come out to for each school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
These comments are pretty misleading and generally uninformed. Match lists can only really be interpreted by specialty, which no one is familiar with unless you're in it. I'd say that is a mostly solid EM list, but I can't speak for other specialties.
Don't take it from me, then. Here is the PD survey opinion: Med School Rank List - Residency Directors?
As you can see, only slightly higher than Gtown~. OHSU might be stronger in terms of research (even hard to say then), but Georgetown has a strong global health program which is what OP wants to do. If you do want to do primary care, seems like OHSU is stronger there though, I'll give you that much.

I'm from the Portland area and had a similar dilemma, ended up choosing a significantly lower ranked school over OHSU. I don't want to discourage you from going to OHSU, but I would advise you to go with what your instincts tell you. The "rankings" really don't matter at all when you're past the top 20. It will be a little bit easier matching on the west coast if you go to OHSU, and similarly easier to match the east coast at Georgetown. I don't know much about Georgetown to form an opinion on it. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk more.