*** Official UMDNJ-SOM class of 2009 ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
evilmagarnes said:
At accepted students day, there were a lot of students that were still waiting on other schools--so you still have a good chance. I agree with Nate that you should contact Dr. Wallace and Paula. Just keep updating the school on your present activities and make them well aware of how enthusiatic you are about going to UMDNJ. Paula is extremely nice, and I think it would be a good idea to get to know her better (and let her know you better). You could also just ask Paula what you could do to get off the waitlist. I'm pretty sure if you're persistent and enthusiastic about UMDNJ, you'll have a good chance of getting pulled off the waitlist. Good luck. Hope to see you in the fall.

Well that certainly makes me feel a little better. Prior to my interview day, I went to UMDNJ and met with Paula in person. We discussed my application and she invited me for the interview. I will probably give her a call on Monday and try and get a hold on how the waitlist process works. I will eventually send a letter of intent to Dean Wallace. The letter itself was encouraging, as they congratulated me on being acceptable but that at this time there aren't any seats available. It goes on to say something to the effect that I can be given a seat anytime from now till August. I have another acceptance, but I really want to be at SOM. But I don't know if I can wait until August to hear from SOM.

Sorry for my rant, I just need to get this out to some people that understand this crazy application process. Thanks for listening.

Members don't see this ad.

I can definitely understand why you don't want to wait around until August. But May 15 is the deadline for the allopathic medical schools. I think that there should be a lot of movement around that time--so you might not have to wait that long.
I know how you feel with the waiting and uncertainty. I hope it all works out for you.

Does anyone know when the next deposit is due for UMDNJ-SOM? I can't seem to find any info and I know for other DO schools moeny is due May 1st. Thanks...

Members don't see this ad :)
UMDNJ only requires the first 100$ deposit to hold a seat. The billing rules are universal across all UMDNJ schools (NJMS, RWJ, SOM).

All of my SOM SDN brothas and sistas still thinking about buying a laptop: I may be able to get you a discount on IBM if you're interested but I have to check with someone first. I will let you know next week, if you’re interested PM me. Have a good weekend =)

Nate said:
All of my SOM SDN brothas and sistas still thinking about buying a laptop: I may be able to get you a discount on IBM if you're interested but I have to check with someone first. I will let you know next week, if you’re interested PM me. Have a good weekend =)

Thanks for the offer! We also get discounts for Dell computers as per an offer in the library.

Also, if you didn't accepted right away; Don't sweat it. There were people that got in after the semester started and others who got in last minute. Good luck!

just so you guys know, your loan packages WILL include funds for laptops. i have no idea on the specifics but your packages will be larger than ours cause it's required for you but not for us.

later
-J

Hi folks, I just got my acceptance letter yesterday and I am pretty sure I will be in the UMDNJ SOM class of 2009.

I own a house here in Jersey and what with all the other expenses and lack of income, I would prefer to continue living here while I'm in school. The problem with that idea is that my commute would be about 1.5 hours each way by car. I could try to commute by train, but as far as I can figure out that would take even longer and be at least as expensive as driving.

Anyone else commuting? Anyone live up here in Central Jersey (Plainfield) and want to carpool? Anyone with space for an occasional roommate?

I look forward to meeting all of you soon.

Congrats and welcome lmccraven.

I commuted an hour each way to Rutgers NB from Lakewood during undergrad and it made my life a living hell. It affected my grades also. I know it is difficult but I would recommend that you rent out your house and rent a small studio close to the school for the 4 years or some other arrangement. 3 hours a day driving is going to be murder during med school. Good luck

Thanks Nate!

Your advice is well taken and something I have already been considering. It will be interesting finding a place that will be affordable and also accept my 2 greyhounds and 2 cats. I am looking though.

I am planning to drop by the UMDNJ RWJ housing office and see if any of their students might want to rent at my house. That would be cool.

Edited to add a question:
Nate, do you work at Dr. Wise Young's lab? When I was a postbacc student at Rutgers we had a seminar there.

Does anyone know how to go about looking for a roommate? I signed up for the roommate list but what do I do know? Who do I contact? Thanks. :clap:

evilmagarnes said:
Does anyone know how to go about looking for a roommate? I signed up for the roommate list but what do I do know? Who do I contact? Thanks. :clap:

You should get the roommate list and call people on the list to see/ meet people that could be possible roommates. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nate said:
I work in the research tower at RWJ, I believe Dr. Young works in the Nelson Labs on Bush campus Rutgers. I work for Dr. Sally Meiners

A number of students come from Rutgers. Small world! :cool:

I was just wondering what books are useful for Histo, Biochem, Phsyio and Genetics for the fall semester.

evilmagarnes said:
I was just wondering what books are useful for Histo, Biochem, Phsyio and Genetics for the fall semester.

if you have some books from undergrad keep them and bring them to med school. DO NOT start buying books now. the current first year class made a list of the books that really are "required" i.e. you should really have them. you're going to get a list from the school which is exhaustive, DO NOT buy everything. talk to your big when you get here and they'll help you out with what you really need. so basically don't worry about books yet, you'll have all the material to go through when you get here in note format from the profs.

and if you still want the list of what I think is important, talk to Nate!

-J

Based mainly on recommendations from Jay:

Histo: Histology: A Text and Atlas, Ross

BioChem: Lippincott's Illustrated review for biochemistry; BRS; Biochemistry:, Marks' Basic Medical (if you're weak in Biochem)

Physio: BRS; Principles of Physiology, Berne and Levy (if you're weak in Physio)

Genetics: Thompson & Thompson Genetics in Medicine, Nussbaum (if you're weak in Genetics); Clinical Microbiology made Ridiculously Simple (I inherited this book and heard it is great)

Other: Rapid Interpretation of EKGs, Dale Dubin

I inherited a box full of books from my best friend who graduated Temple Med last year and I purchased a few to patch up some holes while I am still making decent money at my job but I have heard consistent advice to wait on buying books until we get there. For me that advice didn't work so that is why I have this list (and then some) but make sure it is the right thing for you to do. :)

one more quick piece of advice. when you buy your books, SAVE all your receipts especially if the texts are listed as required. you'll be able to deduct them somehow from taxes later on during the year. just put all that junk in one folder and when tax return time comes around you'll be smiling all the way to the bank.

since i'm talking about the bank, get yourself an ING account now. when you come to school you'll be able to dump your financial aid check right into it and make the highest interest possible from a savings account (3% right now). no i do not make any money off of you if you do it but it's in your own best interest to make money off of the government's money if you can, it has to sit somewhere, you might as well be making money off of it.

-J

DOctorJay,
Do the profs all post their lecture notes before class? Or do some profs make you take notes in class? I'm assuming it is a mix, but I know that some medical schools have all their class notes already in done in final form, and they give them to their students before the semester begins. I know that's how they do it a Temple, but I just curious about how it's going to be next year. Thanks.

Your Big Sis/Bro will most likely hook you up with most of the 1st year books. Profesors do not post their notes ahead of time..other than a syllabus :)

evilmagarnes said:
DOctorJay,
Do the profs all post their lecture notes before class? Or do some profs make you take notes in class? I'm assuming it is a mix, but I know that some medical schools have all their class notes already in done in final form, and they give them to their students before the semester begins. I know that's how they do it a Temple, but I just curious about how it's going to be next year. Thanks.

very early in the semester you guys will get "handouts" for each of the classes. these are essentially the class notes for every class and they are bound for you. i pretty much previewed the material before each class in the handout and took notes directly in the margins. this seems to be how most students take notes in class. it's usually not print outs of the powerpoints used in class but all the information is there and you can follow the powerpoint presentation with the notes.

there are rare instances where some of the information does not make it in the handout and you'll want to be in class to write it down. that being said you'll be studying mainly from these handouts and supplementing the material with your textbooks to make sure you understand the material.

on top of getting the handouts almost every prof posts their powerpoint presentations on our student website after the lecture. kind of overkill IMHO but if you have to miss class at least you can review the presentation.

hope this helps,

-J

That's interesting. Thanks for the info.

Hello Jerseyfriends:)

just found out i waitlisted at umdnj-som :) I really hope to go there next year :luck: :luck: :luck: beautiful school, nice environment, and everyone there seems super friendly, i guess now comes more watchin + waitin......

Good luck vegangirl! :luck::luck::luck:

Hey guys...I've basically been observing this thread for a long time now. I have been on the waitlist since December/January, and really want to attend UMDNJ-SOM. Long story short, UConn (my state school) was always my top choice but I find myself on the dregs of their waitlist now. I'm holding an acceptance at PCOM, but I felt a little more comfortable at UMDNJ-SOM and loved most everything about it. Any ideas or waitlist tips? I realize I'm kind of hijacking your thread reserved for official students, but I figured it was worth a shot...especially before an impending $2,000 deposit is due at PCOM next weekend! I'm thinking letter-of-intent is really the only way to go at this point. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ornis, no worries about posting here, that's what these forums are for. Try everything you can, especially considering that you only have a week before your PCOM deposit is due. Letter of intent sounds good, but I think direct contact with the admissions office would be the best option, whether over the phone or in person. Don't know that they'll be able to give you much within a week, but it's worth a try and they have always been very upfront and helpful with me. Also, try getting in touch with PCOM about getting your deadline for deposit extended or lowered even if for a little bit ($2000 is a lot of money!). It couldn't hurt. Whatever happens I'm sure you'll make the best of your experience. Good luck, and hope to see you in the fall.

PS - Hope Drew treated you well, I spent a lot of time there with my girlfriend.......Gorgeous place.

ornis, have you sent them a letter or shown any interest since being placed on the waitlist? You should call Paula Slade and see where you are at. Good luck

Nate said:
ornis, have you sent them a letter or shown any interest since being placed on the waitlist? You should call Paula Slade and see where you are at. Good luck

Thanks. I definitely need/want all the luck I can get. Yeah, I sent Paula an email yesterday re-stating my continued interest in the school, and described my situation a bit. I realize e-mail is not the most official way to go about it, but I'm really trying to avoid this PCOM deposit due in a few days, so the timing of the letter seemed more important. I still plan on sending something in writing, updating my situation, etc. and perhaps giving a call, though I never know how people are going to respond to phone calls of that nature. Regardless, even if I end up having to pay PCOM to hold the spot, I'm still going to put all my effort towards getting into UMDNJ-SOM. Thanks again!

ornis4 said:
Thanks. I definitely need/want all the luck I can get. Yeah, I sent Paula an email yesterday re-stating my continued interest in the school, and described my situation a bit. I realize e-mail is not the most official way to go about it, but I'm really trying to avoid this PCOM deposit due in a few days, so the timing of the letter seemed more important. I still plan on sending something in writing, updating my situation, etc. and perhaps giving a call, though I never know how people are going to respond to phone calls of that nature. Regardless, even if I end up having to pay PCOM to hold the spot, I'm still going to put all my effort towards getting into UMDNJ-SOM. Thanks again!

General advice to all those on the waiting list at SOM:

1) In-person appointments are MUCH more effective at stating you intent than any other form of communication, i.e. letters, email, phone calls, etc. But don't overdo it (i.e. go to to the admissions office every day or every week). In that situation, it can work to your disadvantage. One or two visits to the admissions office to talk to Dean Wallace or Paula Slade can do wonders.

2) Being on the waiting list isn't so bad....I was there once. What sucks is that you may have to wait until the week before classes begin before you know your status. Unfortunately, that's how it all works out. At the end of the admissions season, when people are being chosen off of the waiting w/o regard to raw scores (which is what happens at SOM as I have seen it), #1 will matter A LOT.

3) If you have to pay a deposit to another school, you might as well do it. It may be hundreds or thousands of dollars, but when all is said and done, it's a negligible amount. If you have the financial means or know someone who does (i.e. parents, friends, etc.), I would recommend that you do it. At least you know you will be a physician. Also, as a last ditch effort, try (gracefully and cautiously!!) letting the other school know your situation. May sound dumb or it may sound self-defeating, but actually I have heard of people who have received time extentions for deposits b/c of special situations. I warn you, however, it's got to be a realistic and understandable situation. "I like the weather better in New Jersey" is NOT an acceptable circumstance to use when inquiring about this with another school.

4) If you wind up not getting into the med school of your choice, most people will be just fine going to any med school, really. Of course there are some major exceptions like family issues, etc. If these exceptions don't apply to you, then go where you get in. I promise, in the end it won't make a damn bit of difference. In fact, a lot of times it works out better than you think. I have a friend in my residency who didn't get into either if the two med schools in this state and wound up going to AZCOM for med school. In the end, I don't think he would have gone back and changed it even if he could. And IMHO, he's probably a better physician b/c of where he went to school.

5) If you really want to be a physician, don't give up hope. If you don't get in this year, apply again next year. Many successful medical students/physicians that I know or have met were guys and gals that DID NOT get accepted on the 1st try. And that's not just bullsh1t rhetoric; its the truth. Unfortunately, the admissions process including the MCAT is unfair and at times can suck a big toe. Remember, don't give up if medicine is what you desire in your heart.

Good Luck!!

:thumbup: Thanks for all the info Dr. FeelgoodDO, UMDNJ-SOM is my first choice :luck:

The deed is done... I bought the Dell Inspiron-600m Notebook. Hopefully I made the right choice. I decide to get the 4 year warranty that SOM reccomends, even though it's probably unneccesary. Nate, I know you decided on an IBM. Has anyone else gotten a laptop yet?

I am starting to look for 1 bedroom or studio apartments near the school - do any current students or anyone who is going and already visited some of the apartment complexes on the housing list have any suggestions. I have a dog who is not coming with me but will have visitation rights on some weekends and most of the places are okay with that. I would also like to live near where some other students live. They all look and are priced the same! Any advice would be appreciated...thanks!

I live at Echelon Glen and will live there again next year. It's pricey but in the PERFECT location and it's in a very safe area. Prime location because it's basically right in the middle of all the hospitals we will rotate at.

-for more info PM me
-J

Hello,

I hate to contest the claim that living at echelon glen is such a good choice. I had a very bad experience with them and could not recommend them. The place itself is great, but I could not say the same about some members of the management.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but felt it was necessary to judge echelon glen with this not so wonderful experience in mind.

At the end it is your call and you probably will have a great relaXship with echelon glen, in any event buyer beware!

There are many places you will be happy to live at close to school, so keep your mind open.

I can personally recommend "stonington court" - if you need further help just holler!.

When is orientation and the first day of class?

White coat ceremony is July 31, orientation starts after that and classes start on August 8.

where's everyone else living?

anyone down for a trip to AC?

Okay so I went and looked at apartments this past weekend and based on price and safety I liked The landings at Pine Lake best. Anyone have any input before I put a deposit down on that place - are other students living there? I am a female and I haven't lived in the suburbs for a long time now (coming from Manhattan) so I hope to live near other people. Thanks!
PS - Where are all the coffee places in Stratford???

Stratford has NO coffee places, and the coffee at school is terrible. Voorhees has a dunkin donuts and coffee works which are both good, up route 30 is another dunkin donuts, cherry hill has a starbucks, and there's an einstein's somewhere.

welcome to suburbia and remember philly is just a hop away.

-J

the area however has no less than approximately 12million diners though.

Great - if we can manage to stay awake without caffeine then we at least have the option of having late night cheese fries with gravy at the diner

I am no SDN wiz but I am most positive I didn't get any PM from you - send it to me again b/c I did not receive one.

I'm looking into getting my laptop and I'm trying to decide between the IBM Thinkpad (T42) or the ibook/powerbook. I can't decide about crossing over to the mac and wondering whether all the programs/info we need the laptop for will be available to me if i have the mac. without getting into a pc/mac pissing match, does anyone have any comments/suggestions? price isn't really the issue - more dependability and long-term use.

i hear you, i'm getting a thinkpad Tseries also. i don't know, for me i think its the best combination of size/portability, and dependability. i thought about getting a tablet pc, either ibm or from motioncomputing.com, but i was playing around with my friends, and it just didn't feel like my thing.

Hey guys,

I finally sent in a withdrawal letter to the SOM office. I feel bad both about waiting so long (sorry waitlist-people) and also about withdrawing; you are all VERY COOL A++ PEOPLE WOULD MEET AGAIN.

So good luck to all yinz, and I hope that my spot will go to one of the SDN waitlisters ;).

Sad to see you go 40, but I understand. Take care and stay in touch!

In other news, the pre-matric people should be excited since they start on Monday already. Time is flying and in a little over a month we all start med school. Skeery