*** Official UMDNJ-SOM class of 2009 ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DrFeelgoodDO said:
Agree with Lippincott's Biochem, but unless you have a perfect photographic memory, you're gonna need to get you histo book and atlas. For the atlas I would get the recommended one and possibly another as well [I believe the Wheaters (sp?) atlas is a really good one - bunch of kids in my class used it also]. You need to have something to look at when you're at home, unless you want to spend ALL of your time at the school - I don't recommend that. The one class where you def. do NOT have to buy books is for genetics. That class is a blow off class at SOM, in case you guys didn't know. I agree with the fact that there are way more required books than actually necessary.

As far as the pre-matric program is concerned, I disagree with johnnychimpo. Its an awesome program from what I have heard. Why not get acclimated w/o being graded? You can still go to the beach on the weekends when there is no class. I also disagree with this dood about the 1st semester. Guess what guys.....your 1st semester at SOM will undoubtedly be THE HARDEST SEMESTER IN MED SCHOOL!!! Not just b/c of the adjustment to med school but b/c of the classes you take. Physio, Biochem, and Histo all at once in addition to blow off REQUIRED stuff like OMM, Foundations (or whatever its called), and genetics will pack quite a punch. For those who say otherwise, they are full of it. The 2nd semester of 1st year is where things slow down....Anatomy and Neuro are both quite interesting and more importantly WELL WELL WELL taught and most kids find Microbio not be as stressful. The 2nd semester is WAY better not only b/c of these facts but also b/c 1st semester is pretty damn sh1tty!!

My advice about starting med school, at SOM in particular, is to work hard 1st semester but also don't forget to play hard too. When your class goes out after a test block, join them. Make friends with everyone - don't be an introverted person if you can help it. You are with a relatively small number of people who you will be with for 2 years - make the most of it. Also, you will all get big brothers/sisters and they will give you guys tests and other stuff from years past. Some will give more than others. With that in mind, I implore the ones who get more to SPREAD THE WEALTH!!! Your goal should be for EVERYONE to do well, not just yourself. If you think you are competing against only those in your class for residency, you are sadly mistaken. Don't be a dick!! Also, I would advise that your future student gov't or someone take the initiative to create study guide outlines, esp. for blow off classes like genetics. If certain people volunteer to go though lectures and scribes to make outlines before exams, it makes life a hell of a lot easier. We did it and so does pretty much every class. My final piece of advice is boards. I don't care what anyone says - DO WELL ON BOARDS!!! Even if you want to FP at Kennedy and you are sure of it from day 1, do well on boards. You may wind up changing your mind. Unlike your med school application where the MCAT is some worthless test and your GPA counts way more, boards mean everything and grades are WAY less important. On all of my residency interviews I have been complemented on my board scores and NOT ONE interviewer has ever asked why I only did average at best during my 1st semester at SOM. BTW, when i say boards I mean COMLEX and USMLE both! Unless you are sure that you want to do an osteopathic residency, I highly suggest taking both at the same time. You will not be sorry, but you will be sorry if you have to go back and take the USMLE after the fact.

I hope all you future SOMers take my advice for what it's worth to ya. Talk to those who have been thru it all already so you don't repeat their mistakes. Any questions, PM me.

you're right in what you said Dr. Feelgood, i just meant that the first month, not first semester, is fairly easy....as nice as it is to get acclimated to the med school routine with pre-matric, it's also easier to get burnt out adding all the extra time to the semester

Members don't see this ad.

I heard that there are clubs and non academic activities at umdnjsom. I was glad to hear it since I will definitely need something to take my mind off of studying every so often. Are they mostly volunteer based organizations? Are some more popular than others?

Members don't see this ad :)
There are tons of student run organizations at SOM which was quite surprising to me since it's such a small school. If you're interested there will be something for you, and if not you CAN develop it. At least 3 new clubs were formed this year because first year students took the initiative to get them going.

Make sure you show up to the first meetings as you'll get a chance to hear what the normal activities are like for the clubs. And by the way, you won't have to pay for lunch for like the fist month of classes cause there'll be so many club meetings that give free lunch.

there's a chapter called LOG (lambda omicron gamma) which is a national greek social organization of sorts to get people out to socialize. student council is active in making sure there are activities for the student body throughout the year.

there are definitely some things that are more popular than others but that's based on your classes make up and special interests.

-J

I am going to Honduras in February with a friend. He is doing part of his internship there and I am going to help out. After that, we will have our new student day thingy at SOM and before we know it, it will be summer. Hopefully I will publish some of my research then too. I plan on doing the pre-matriculation thing. Other than that I have been shoveling snow :)

I have a question about the rotations during third and fourth years. There appears to be 12 tracks of differing orders for the specialty rotations. How is one assigned to the tracks? Do we have any say or chance of getting a specific track? I am sure if you are interested in Surgery you will not want to have it first or last and in fourth year the track with more electives up front is more desirable for doing auditions before the match than the ones with electives later in the year.
Just curious, thanks for any answers.

Nate said:
I have a question about the rotations during third and fourth years. There appears to be 12 tracks of differing orders for the specialty rotations. How is one assigned to the tracks? Do we have any say or chance of getting a specific track? I am sure if you are interested in Surgery you will not want to have it first or last and in fourth year the track with more electives up front is more desirable for doing auditions before the match than the ones with electives later in the year.
Just curious, thanks for any answers.

the selection for the tracks is done via a lottery system in your second year. there will be a big class meeting in which Regina Wilmes (the clinical years director) will come and explain all the details and then, having been given the track schedules some weeks ago, there will be a lottery system in which people pick a lucky number and then you will write your name in the track you want. you can try to switch with people after the meeting. Also, typically, everyone gives a small amount of $$ to a fund which is traditionally given to the lucky person who gets to select last :).

As far as fourth year--everyone gets three electives before the match, and the fourth year schedule is very fluid--you can switch rotations rather easily, except for a few (like FP specialty).

hope this is helpful

:)

Very helpful, thanks again applicant2002

I received three packets at once from SOM today. One was a description and application for the pre-matriculation program that I had requested. It looks real cool; it includes class in the morning and case-based study in the afternoons.

The second packet was about the housing/new student day in April and a registration form.

The third packet was supposed to include a bunch of forms to have filled out by your physician for a physical and immunization records but that packet only included the letter. Did anyone else have these forms missing? I emailed the lady from the form.

~Nate

yeah i got the packet about the accepted students luncheon and housing forum. i also got that health info/immunization mailing, but yeah mine didn't have any of the enclosures either, just the letter and the physician check list.

i requested the prematric info, but haven't gotten that yet. it does sound really cool.

I'm looking forward to the reception and meeting everyone. Does anyone have any thoughts on housing yet? I'm planning to look for a roommate and hopefully a place close to the campus. Also thanks for the club info Doctorjay.

Dr. Lambert responded to me today and told me she was going to contact the admissions office about sending me the missing health evaluation forms. Since PE says he is missing the forms also I am sure it was a universal error and I hope they realize this and send them to everyone.

As for housing, this is going to be rough for me. I am a single parent and I will need a big apartment and I won't be able to share it, obviously. I look forward to meeting you all on April 8th also.

housing is going to be interesting. my parents live so close to campus. but i think im going to move to an apartment. i think i'd be interested in living with one other person.

Members don't see this ad :)
PublicEnemy said:
housing is going to be interesting. my parents live so close to campus. but i think im going to move to an apartment. i think i'd be interested in living with one other person.

My rents are about 50 minutes away, but I wouldn't live at home either. What area are you from?

i live in cherry hill, pretty much down the street from campus.

Here's a question for current students:

For exams at SOM, how much do you rely on lecture notes vs reading the textbooks? Could you theoretically pass an exam with only the lecture notes. Do they pull questions from other info sources, or is everything you need to know right there in the lecture outline. And also, do any classes put lecture information on lab practicums? Does it depend on the prof? Just a curiosity. Thanks.

Kevbot said:

For exams at SOM, how much do you rely on lecture notes vs reading the textbooks? Could you theoretically pass an exam with only the lecture notes. Do they pull questions from other info sources, or is everything you need to know right there in the lecture outline. And also, do any classes put lecture information on lab practicums? Does it depend on the prof? Just a curiosity. Thanks.

As an immediate-past student at SOM, I can tell you how we experienced it. I doubt much has changed since. I would say probably 90% of your test info is from scribes/handouts. That number rises close to 100% during second year. You are right, it is all dependent upon the class and the prof. One class where I did use a book was for Biochem. I found that I did remarkably well on exams when I had memorized pathways from the book. However, that may have changed. My only advice to you is to get scribes. I encourage you ALL to get scribes. For those who don't know, SOM has a scribe service where the lectures are all transcribed verbatim. If you are a part of the service, you have to scribe one hour every cycle (total number of students). For someone like me, I suck at typing, so I just hired someone to do it for me. I encourage you ALL to get scribes b/c it's just better all around for everyone. More people means less times you have to scribe per semester. Plus, many things get put thru the scribe service like old OMM quizzes, old exams, etc. I think it cost $125 per semester for us - it may be more now. That is a small price to pay - only about 25 less drinks/beers/glasses of wine per semester. It sure as hell makes it easier when you need to miss class (or don't want to go). And many times lecturers will teach (esp. in Medicine during 2nd year) w/o lecture notes. So basically, unless you want to read a 150 page chapter in Harrison's, you're gonna need scribes. I just make a big deal about this b/c I know in the current SOM class of 2006 there was a big toodoo about the cost and what have you. Something like 1/2 or 1/3 (whatever it was it was huge) of the class chose not to get'em. That's just stupid in my opinion. It's stupid b/c it screws over the ones who want them. It just means more times to scribe and WAY more money if you need scribes-for-hire. Then what if back exams are put thru the scribe service....people will bitch, trust me. Then there were people who wanted scribes for some classes and not others.....while this may be the correct thinking, it still boils down to the fact that it can't be done that way b/c of logistical factors. I know this b/c I was pretty high up in executive student council and I saw all of the fall out from this. BOTTOM LINE: don't be a dick, and just cough up the money. IT IS MORE THAN WELL WORTH IT!!!

DrFeelgoodDO said:
Any questions guys for a 2004 grad of SOM who was also on the admissions committee for 2 years, ask away!

Dr. Feelgood, DO

Hi

I have an interview at UMDNJ-SOM on Feb 17. I would like to know if you have any suggestions for my interview? It's my first choice of the four schools I applied to. Thanks.

Riverama

Kevbot said:

everything we're tested on is given to us in one way or another. the profs here are excellent and share everything with us. they give us really good handouts for their lectures so you really don't need to take notes except for clarifying details in the handouts. they also allow us to download their powerpoint lectures. some profs lay out exactly what pages from the required texts they are lecturing from so you can get into more detail or more explanation there later. the profs here really do care about us doing well and all are extremely available. there's NO surprises on our exams. they don't play around. and yes you could pass an exam with just the lecture notes, in fact you could do quite well.

regarding drfeelgood's post. scribes are helpful for some (mostly the people who don't go to class). our scribe coordinators this year decided to make use of technology so all scribes are emailed if you're in the service, this means no more $125 for the service. if i remember correctly it was like $20 for our class.

-J

Riverama- let us know when you get your acceptance.

I will be going to Honduras on Monday for 10 days, going to be shadowing/helping some physicians down there so it should be a great experience. When I get back in early March I plan on starting apartment hunting and school/summer childcare hunting.

have fun in honduras nate. sounds like a great experience.

the scribes service sounds like a good deal. if most of the class decides to do it, then each person would prolly only have to take notes a couple times.

so most of the profs provide good lecture handouts or slides? thats good to know. do you need to rely heavily on the required or suggested text books for classes? which books would you recommend definitely getting? alsowhats the deal with the tapes of the lectures in the library? do people regularly use these? also online it seemed like there's a section for class notes, whats in there?

PE all good questions.

first a definition of the scribe service so you know exactly what it is. all lectures are audio taped, tape is brought to library and filed, scribe for that class hour takes out tape and writes verbatim what the prof says. scribe is emailed to scribe coordinators and then disseminated to the scribe members.

all the required texts are in the library for use so you can use them there if you don't want to buy them. DO NOT buy all the books they send you on the list - MAJOR OVERKILL. wait to talk to some of us who have been through it, if you're lucky your big bro/sis may even lend you some books. i'd definitely get the biochem text though and any class you haven't had before.

we're all allowed to listen to the tapes in the library from classes. most people don't do this but i know of a few who do in my class.

notes section on the website: this is where profs post their powerpoints. it's just an extra piece of information. truly the powerpoint and their handout match up really well but if you like powerpoint format for learning then they make it available as well. also every now and again the profs will have a movie or website they'd like the whole class to see and the easiest way to get it to everyone is from the class notes page.

all this will be explained again in orientation and such. time to get to bed, we start head and neck in gross anatomy tomorrow!!!

-J

Hi folks, I just received an interview invite from SOM (April 15...gonna call tomorrow to see if I can get it moved up a bit ;) ) and really appreciated all the info from this thread and the pre-DO one. SOM seems like an awesome place to be and I can't wait to visit.

Kazema said:
SOM seems like an awesome place to be and I can't wait to visit.

Kazema; Good luck on your interview, hopefully we'll see you in August.

I've been accepted as of today. See you on april 8th on student acceptance day.

riverama

Nate said:
So, I sent in my deposit and I am rather sure that I will be at UMDNJ in 2005. Starting this thread to get to know my future classmates =)

I moved my interview up to March 18, so if you see an Asian male in a black suit, light blue shirt, and red tie, say hello. How much more vague can you get? :laugh:

hey, what is everyone's thoughts on anatomy and physiology being flipped at SOM? so we have physio in the fall and anatomy in the spring.

you first years must be pretty busy with that right now? whats everyone's thoughts on this. just about everyone else does it the other way around.

to me it seems like its a pretty good idea, since you get exposure to the systems in physio beforehand, so you're already pretty familiar with a lot of things, so you're not just memorizing structures in anatomy only to find out what they do later. its not exactly like a case-based or completely systems based approach, but it seems like you'd have a better idea of whats going on this way.

also, everyone, everywhere else complains about anatomy being a really rude awakening, but it seems like we ease into it. with just biochem, physio, histo, and genetics, first semester seems a lot less intimidating.

then spring doesn't seem as bad anymore either with anatomy, micro, and neuro.

whats been everyone else's experience?

PublicEnemy said:
hey, what is everyone's thoughts on anatomy and physiology being flipped at SOM? so we have physio in the fall and anatomy in the spring.

you first years must be pretty busy with that right now? whats everyone's thoughts on this. just about everyone else does it the other way around.

to me it seems like its a pretty good idea, since you get exposure to the systems in physio beforehand, so you're already pretty familiar with a lot of things, so you're not just memorizing structures in anatomy only to find out what they do later. its not exactly like a case-based or completely systems based approach, but it seems like you'd have a better idea of whats going on this way.

also, everyone, everywhere else complains about anatomy being a really rude awakening, but it seems like we ease into it. with just biochem, physio, histo, and genetics, first semester seems a lot less intimidating.

then spring doesn't seem as bad anymore either with anatomy, micro, and neuro.

whats been everyone else's experience?

I could be wrong, but I remember someone telling me that the reason we have Anatomy in the Spring is so that we can have the Anatomy Profs from Robert Wood and both schools can utilize them.

Do most people take courses like Histo, Physio, Biochem, and Micro in undergrad? I took Histo, A&P II, and Intro to Biochem; so I'm hoping that will take some pressure off the first semester. Though I'm sure that these classes will be more difficult when we take them in the fall.

I'm one step closer to joining you guys next year! I recieved an interview invite today. I've heard the interview is pretty laid back from a LOT of the people on this board that have interviewed. Is that 100% true? And did any of you prepare extensively for the interview day at SOM?

Ok I'm a first year so I'll answer. Physio is a little tough without anatomy but I'm grateful that Anatomy is second semester. For one we only have anatomy, neuroscience, micro, and OMM second semester. this gives us much more time to thoroughly study for anatomy. seriously it would NOT fit in first semester. of course the school could switch some classes around but Dr. Mulheron is awesome for Anatomy (I've already had gross in PT school, this guy's a really good teacher). Dr. White is our neuroscience prof and he's awesome too (also teaches at RWJ and UPenn).

anatomy is a rude awakening, even if you ease into it. the first exam is a tough one but if you know how to study for it you'll do fine but when you get hear you'll talk to the class above you and we'll give you all the ins and outs, no worries.

don't forget OMM is a year long course. it's ALL cumulative the entire way through, years 1-2 but don't get intimidated, it's really not that bad and this way you keep it fresh in your mind.

-J

ArcherM2 said:
I'm one step closer to joining you guys next year! I recieved an interview invite today. I've heard the interview is pretty laid back from a LOT of the people on this board that have interviewed. Is that 100% true? And did any of you prepare extensively for the interview day at SOM?

Even though the interview is low stress, you should still prepare for it. I did a mock interview and I researched topics like US health insurance. I also reviewed my research, my personal statement, and looked through the schools handbook which is on the website. It's my top choice, so I wanted to be as ready as possible.

Good deal. Thanks a bunch. Did they bring up anything about healthcare ethics or news during your interview? Also, off topic, does anyone have any idea how full the class is at this point?

Congrats Archer: I copy and pasted all the questions that were asked in the interview feedback section of this website onto a single document and printed it out. I then just thought about them, not to memorize some rote answers but to be familiar with them and have some thought process going already on the more difficult ones.
In the end, I over-prepared; the interview was very laid-back and they only interview people that they are very interested in so just try to relax and prepare with whatever makes you comfortable.

I just got back from Honduras and I must say it was a great experience again. It is always a shock to work in a poor country's hospitals and be humbled by what we take for granted here in the US.

Does anyone know how long it takes to drive from Philly over to Stratford? My sister lives in Philly so I'm planning to stay with her; just want to get an idea of what time I should leave the city to account for traffic.

Also did anyone ever find out what the new curriculum that combines lecture and PBL is going to be like? Maybe like lecture in the morning and work on a case based on that material in the afternoon or later in the week or something? I'm quite intrigued; I'm always intrigued when I hear about a "new curriculum" :D.

Kazema said:
Does anyone know how long it takes to drive from Philly over to Stratford? My sister lives in Philly so I'm planning to stay with her; just want to get an idea of what time I should leave the city to account for traffic.

Also did anyone ever find out what the new curriculum that combines lecture and PBL is going to be like? Maybe like lecture in the morning and work on a case based on that material in the afternoon or later in the week or something? I'm quite intrigued; I'm always intrigued when I hear about a "new curriculum" :D.

15-20 minutes tops w/o traffic, depending on where in the city she actually lives. From Center City, it's like 15 minutes at the most. It should be that way in the morning on the way to the interview since morning traffic on 295, 42, and 76/676 is always TOWARDS philly. You'll be goin the opposite way. Good luck on the interview, its way laid back. Just be yourself - you can't go wrong unless you are an a-hole (which I'm sure u're not!!)!!

DrFeelgoodDO said:
15-20 minutes tops w/o traffic, depending on where in the city she actually lives. From Center City, it's like 15 minutes at the most. It should be that way in the morning on the way to the interview since morning traffic on 295, 42, and 76/676 is always TOWARDS philly. You'll be goin the opposite way. Good luck on the interview, its way laid back. Just be yourself - you can't go wrong unless you are an a-hole (which I'm sure u're not!!)!!

Thanks!

She lives in University City which I guess isn't too far from Center City. I just remember trying to drive into Philly once in the evening, which took absolutely forever.

Which I guess brings up a somewhat related question, is Stratford considered a suburb of Philadelphia?

And I guess I'll have to work hard not to be an a-hole on my interview day. Er I mean, of course I'm not an a-hole! :smuggrin:

Just got back from my interview. I was very, very impressed. Whoever said that the school just exudes this kind of quiet confidence was right. I just got the feeling from everyone there that they knew that they're a great school, but aren't stuck up about it at all. And all the students there are so friendly. I love the intimate feeling I got from the school - it seems like everyone knows everyone and loves being there, that everyone's connected.

But I also found out that I may have some problems in meeting the biology requirements. I'll have to call them up to go over my transcript if I'm accepted; I'll find out soon one way or the other since they meet on Monday.

Kazema said:
Just got back from my interview. I was very, very impressed. Whoever said that the school just exudes this kind of quiet confidence was right. I just got the feeling from everyone there that they knew that they're a great school, but aren't stuck up about it at all. And all the students there are so friendly. I love the intimate feeling I got from the school - it seems like everyone knows everyone and loves being there, that everyone's connected.

But I also found out that I may have some problems in meeting the biology requirements. I'll have to call them up to go over my transcript if I'm accepted; I'll find out soon one way or the other since they meet on Monday.

Congratulations Kazema, the hard part is over. If you can't meet some type of biology requirement, maybe you can take the course in the summer before August?

Yeah hoping that's the case - I already am planning to take Genetics this summer so I hope that will do the trick.

YES! I'm in! Paula called me and I'm still kind of shaking with excitement.

Thanks to all you wonderful people for all the info and the support. I'm gonna get so drunk tonight...

Hi everyone,
I just got the call today and got the good news too. I'm real excited. UMDNJ is definitely my first choice. I was just wondering what everyone else is doing about housing? Any thoughts. Thanks.

Welcome to our class evilmagarnes. There will be a housing day April 8th, you should call the school to confirm your attendance and request a housing booklet ASAP, if you havent already received it.

We should all go to Atlantic City on Saturday and blow all our tuition.

It will be the first time ever that an entire medical school class had to withdraw :laugh:.

ha, get me on a hold 'em table and i can win all of our tuition for us.

spoken like a true member of GA.

PublicEnemy said:

C'mon, you guys are smart...challenge yourselves and go the "Ocean's Eleven" route...

PublicEnemy said:

Ahh, do I forsee weekly (or monthly...) home hold'em games in our future?

:D

Kazema said:
Ahh, do I forsee weekly (or monthly...) home hold'em games in our future?
I can see where this is going.. I'm going to be a very poor med student very soon. On my financial budget, I'll just erase 'car maintenance' and write in 'gambling losses'. Yep, that should cover it.

Kevbot said:
I can see where this is going.. I'm going to be a very poor med student very soon. On my financial budget, I'll just erase 'car maintenance' and write in 'gambling losses'. Yep, that should cover it.

Hey if you play long enough you might not have a car to pay for :smuggrin:.