*~*~*~* Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2023-2024 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello everyone. Is the final BCPM GPA on the PCR or do I have to look elsewhere?
It’s under the “status” tab on the right

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone. Is the final BCPM GPA on the PCR or do I have to look elsewhere?
If your app is transmitted then I believe your final gpa is the gpa displayed at the bottom of the status page where u find the PCR

Members don't see this ad :)
I know its early, but what GPA are they looking at for
consideration? I have a Bachelors and Masters? Are they looking at overall or just BCPM?
Also, it says "final GPA" will be transmitted to the schools? uhhhhh.... is that the overall GPA. @wysdoc , please advise. Thank you

Last edited:
I know its early, but what GPA are they looking at for
consideration? I have a Bachelors and Masters? Are they looking at overall or just BCPM?
Also, it says "final GPA" will be transmitted to the schools? uhhhhh.... is that the overall GPA. @wysdoc , please advise. Thank you
Overall GPA and BCPM are both calculated and seen by the readers. They can also see the graduate GPA calculated separately.
Graduate courses are calculated into the BCPM GPA but won’t be in the PCR.

To read all about it go to the TMDSAS guide
Click coursework on the left side menu
Click GPA information on the right side menu
Open up all the boxes with a + on them and you will see it all

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you. Because its like 10 GPA here. LOL!

@wysdoc Can we nominate you to be on the board at TMDSAS? LOL

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
I was admitted to 2 summer research programs during undergrad (1 last summer and 1 I'm doing this summer). The one last summer was paid ($5000) and the one this summer is fully paid (including room, flight, and stipend amounting to ~$17000). Both had a competitive application process and were merit-based
  1. Should I include these in the academic honors or the research section?
  2. Should I include the $ amounts in my description?

letters are uploaded 6/6-6/8 to the portal? When will they be transmitted to schools?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it weird that my primary app hasn't been processed when I submitted it on 5/23. Also, does the HPRC letter need to be completed before secondaries can be sent. Thank you!

Is it weird that my primary app hasn't been processed when I submitted it on 5/23. Also, does the HPRC letter need to be completed before secondaries can be sent. Thank you!
they just moved to 5/23 this afternoon, it’ll probably happen tomorrow

Members don't see this ad :)
Save this site on your desktop or laptop computer for incessant checking: TMDSAS Homepage

**some things don’t show up on a phone. This is one of them :whistle:**

On the right side of the page you will see what day's submission they are working on.
See a fuller explanation & picture here on page 1 of this thread: #1

Last edited:
Hello, this is a very specific question to my situation- I was asked for documents for verifying my state of residence on the TMDSAS and I missed that I needed my driver's license. Unfortunately, I have not yet exchanged my former state's driver license for a Texas one (working on it now). Would it be possible to use a temporary driver's license when I receive one after my appointment in about 2 days, or do I need to wait 2 weeks to get the physical card in the mail? Or, would it be possible (if my application liaison allows it) that I could use another form of residency, such as my lease contract? My main basis for being a Texas resident is having worked in Texas since October, so I submitted my paystubs as soon as I could. I just would like to get my application verified as soon as possible to get secondaries - any help is appreciated, and I did let my residency liaison know the situation - I also understand if this not the right place to ask, thanks!

Hello, this is a very specific question to my situation- I was asked for documents for verifying my state of residence on the TMDSAS and I missed that I needed my driver's license. Unfortunately, I have not yet exchanged my former state's driver license for a Texas one (working on it now). Would it be possible to use a temporary driver's license when I receive one after my appointment in about 2 days, or do I need to wait 2 weeks to get the physical card in the mail? Or, would it be possible (if my application liaison allows it) that I could use another form of residency, such as my lease contract? My main basis for being a Texas resident is having worked in Texas since October, so I submitted my paystubs as soon as I could. I just would like to get my application verified as soon as possible to get secondaries - any help is appreciated, and I did let my residency liaison know the situation - I also understand if this not the right place to ask, thanks!
Send them whatever you have like a lease, utility bills, and paystubs to show you have been living and working in Texas this year

Send them whatever you have like a lease, utility bills, and paystubs to show you have been living and working in Texas this year
Ok, thanks! I guess I'm panicking a bit because I know I should have had my Texas license already and it may come off as weird that I don't have a Texas license yet, but I honestly haven't needed one cause I use an electric scooter to get to work and Uber to get where I need to around Houston. Is not having a Texas license a bad sign to TMDSAS suggesting that I'm not a resident, having only just started working this past year?

Ok, thanks! I guess I'm panicking a bit because I know I should have had my Texas license already and it may come off as weird that I don't have a Texas license yet, but I honestly haven't needed one cause I use an electric scooter to get to work and Uber to get where I need to around Houston. Is not having a Texas license a bad sign to TMDSAS suggesting that I'm not a resident, having only just started working this past year?
No, they will give you examples of what kind of documents to submit and it doesn’t mean you have to submit every one.

How much should my secondaries change if I got an interview (& waitlisted) and they didn't say my secondaries were a problem? Should I scrap them anyways or just touch them up?

Does anyone know how to report online science classes with in-person labs? Should I just list them as in-person because I don't want them to think that the labs were online? The lectures were available to attend in-person as well for most of the classes anyway, although not all. Or should I list the lecture as a separate entry from the lab, even though they show up as one class on my transcripts?

Edit: Never mind - I called my school's registrar and they assured me that it's considered in-person coursework (no online designation at all). I'll leave the question up in case it's helpful to others, though!

Last edited:
Hey folks,
I just submitted my primary yesterday (6/8) to TMDSAS and wanted to sign up for a Casper exam later this month (6/27); however, I am concerned that this would send the scores to my school a little late since it does take 2 weeks to send to schools. I will likely have my secondary pre-written/sent (if available) by this time so this would be the only thing that's pending.

I have 2 questions:
  • Will taking Casper on 6/27 put me at a disadvantage in any way in terms of interviews?
  • Also, does anyone have an idea of how Casper is used in admissions for TX schools (i.e. is there a cutoff for interview invites) especially since almost all of them require it now?

Hey folks,
I just submitted my primary yesterday (6/8) to TMDSAS and wanted to sign up for a Casper exam later this month (6/27); however, I am concerned that this would send the scores to my school a little late since it does take 2 weeks to send to schools. I will likely have my secondary pre-written/sent (if available) by this time so this would be the only thing that's pending.

I have 2 questions:
  • Will taking Casper on 6/27 put me at a disadvantage in any way in terms of interviews?
  • Also, does anyone have an idea of how Casper is used in admissions for TX schools (i.e. is there a cutoff for interview invites) especially since almost all of them require it now?
I'll put an answer in the next post for everyone. Your June date is plenty early.

Last edited:
What about that CASPer Test?

The company that administers CASPer now goes by the name Acuity Insights.
Testing requires you to schedule a date and register, and if you took it for a previous application cycle you need to repeat it.
They have recently joined SDN and post in the SJT forum where you can ask them general or technical questions you may have.

But since we're here to talk about Texas, let's get to the Texas list.

The list below shows Texas schools which require you to take CASPer as part of your complete application.
The 3 schools listed in bold want to see the results before they invite people for interviews.
The other schools use it at some later point in the application year, maybe even after they have interviewed you.
No Texas schools are asking for "Snapshot" this year. Two Texas schools are asking that you take CASPer + Duet.

1. Texas Tech El Paso
2. UTMB
3. UTSW

4. Baylor
5. Long
6. McGovern
7. Texas A&M
8. Texas Tech Lubbock
9. UT Tyler: Casper + Duet
10. SHSU: Casper + Duet

Bottom Line: Most of the Texas schools want to use it this year, so schedule it and get it done.
Texans don't fuss and dither, they act!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Hey y'all. Good luck in the application season!

Due to some personal reasons, I won't be able to submit my primary until about somewhere in the next week or so. I know it might be neurotic but I'm really freaking out. How screwed am I?

Hey y'all. Good luck in the application season!

Due to some personal reasons, I won't be able to submit my primary until about somewhere in the next week or so. I know it might be neurotic but I'm really freaking out. How screwed am I?
Submit when ready, it’s a long long long application year and 2-3 weeks make no difference

Hello. I have started receiving secondaries to a few schools and went back to my primary application to check my planned activities. There I noticed that two experience listings, one hobby and one non-clinical volunteering, were listed with the category "Leadership" rather than their correct categories (neither description gives any indication of a leadership role being involved; it is clear it was a mistake if you read the description). Their categories were correct when listed under current activities. Is this mistake big enough to warrant emailing admissions committees to correct myself, and how do you think this will affect how they view my application? Thank you!

Hello. I have started receiving secondaries to a few schools and went back to my primary application to check my planned activities. There I noticed that two experience listings, one hobby and one non-clinical volunteering, were listed with the category "Leadership" rather than their correct categories (neither description gives any indication of a leadership role being involved; it is clear it was a mistake if you read the description). Their categories were correct when listed under current activities. Is this mistake big enough to warrant emailing admissions committees to correct myself, and how do you think this will affect how they view my application? Thank you!
Don’t worry about it, it will be clear from context

Last edited:
I'm an idiot - as I was looking through the course requirements, I realized I've only taken 3 quarter hours of biochemistry, and several TMDSAS schools require 5 quarter hours or 3 semester hours (UTSW, Dell, El Paso, Lozano, UHCOM). Having submitted my primary application, should I just start trying to find a community college to take the extra hours in the fall and submit an update to TMDSAS to let them know that I intend to complete this course before I am matriculated? Or is there nothing I can do, and will just have to accept I won't be able to apply to those schools this cycle?

I'm an idiot - as I was looking through the course requirements, I realized I've only taken 3 quarter hours of biochemistry, and several TMDSAS schools require 5 quarter hours or 3 semester hours (UTSW, Dell, El Paso, Lozano, UHCOM). Having submitted my primary application, should I just start trying to find a community college to take the extra hours in the fall and submit an update to TMDSAS to let them know that I intend to complete this course before I am matriculated? Or is there nothing I can do, and will just have to accept I won't be able to apply to those schools this cycle?
you only need 4.5 quarter hours what does your PCR say ?

Hello,

I am a reapplicant and submitted my primary for AMCAS schools, but never completed any of the secondaries (applied very late) so I was not considered. Should I still list these schools in the reapplication section that asks:

Have you previously applied to any Non-TMDSAS medical, dental, veterinary, or podiatric schools?*

Thanks!

Hello,

I am a reapplicant and submitted my primary for AMCAS schools, but never completed any of the secondaries (applied very late) so I was not considered. Should I still list these schools in the reapplication section that asks:

Have you previously applied to any Non-TMDSAS medical, dental, veterinary, or podiatric schools?*

Thanks!
If you submitted the primary app, it counts as applying even if you didn’t follow through.
I hope you’re feeling more ready this year, good luck!

Hey y'all!
  1. I haven't submitted my primary - I messed up on this and mis read some of my stuff when I prewrote. I think I can have it done in the next week.
  2. I haven't taken CASPER - completely slipped my mind and I'm really upset about this one. I though I was supposed to do it mid July but apparently I'm late? I can take the next one, but it's June 27 and if it takes a month for results to come back does this mean I won't be complete until late July? Especially since I'm in Texas I'm worried that'll be too late
I think I have decent stats (traditional, 514, 3.8, ORM, 500+ clinical, 300+ nonclinical, 300+ research w no pubs). I think I can get my primary done within one week. Am I screwed?

Hey y'all!
  1. I haven't submitted my primary - I messed up on this and mis read some of my stuff when I prewrote. I think I can have it done in the next week.
  2. I haven't taken CASPER - completely slipped my mind and I'm really upset about this one. I though I was supposed to do it mid July but apparently I'm late? I can take the next one, but it's June 27 and if it takes a month for results to come back does this mean I won't be complete until late July? Especially since I'm in Texas I'm worried that'll be too late
I think I have decent stats (traditional, 514, 3.8, ORM, 500+ clinical, 300+ nonclinical, 300+ research w no pubs). I think I can get my primary done within one week. Am I screwed?
You are still right on time.
Don’t rush with doing your primary carefully and be sure to print out a copy of it before you submit it to proofread every line.

Hey y'all!
I applied much later last cycle with slightly lower stats than you and got 2 interviews! I think you are good - if you want to be early you can just focus on prewriting secondaries and submitting them the first day you receive them!

I noticed that TMDSAS seems to be reviewing applications submitted later than mine, according to TMDSAS website processing dates. Still, there haven't been any changes to the status of my application (Like PCR, messages etc ). Has anyone else found themselves in a similar situation? If so, how long was it before your application status was updated?

I noticed that TMDSAS seems to be reviewing applications submitted later than mine, according to TMDSAS website processing dates. Still, there haven't been any changes to the status of my application (Like PCR, messages etc ). Has anyone else found themselves in a similar situation? If so, how long was it before your application status was updated?
I’m sure someone is still working on yours, they just have not reached the point where they are ready to send you a message yet.

does anyone know when we should expect to receive casper scores from testing Tuesday May 23rd? The scores were delivered to schools last Tuesday, so promptly at 2 weeks. Should I expect to be able to see the score report next Tuesday (so four weeks out)? sorry if this is the wrong thread for a casper question!

does anyone know when we should expect to receive casper scores from testing Tuesday May 23rd? The scores were delivered to schools last Tuesday, so promptly at 2 weeks. Should I expect to be able to see the score report next Tuesday (so four weeks out)? sorry if this is the wrong thread for a casper question!
Try this forum, a representative from Acuity Insights posts there and answers questions casper-2023-2024-scoring.1480724

I took mine on May 4, got my results on May 31. They sent me an email once my results were available for me to view, but I had been checking and about 1.5-2 weeks after I took it they were delivered.

I have submitted secondaries for most schools. However, I just realized I had a deficient prerequisite that I had not indicated that I will be completing in the future. I have now corrected it.

Does this lack of planned coursework means I will be overlooked by schools who have already seen my application? Should I reach out to the schools? Or am I overthinking it, should I not worry.

I have submitted secondaries for most schools. However, I just realized I had a deficient prerequisite that I had not indicated that I will be completing in the future. I have now corrected it.

Does this lack of planned coursework means I will be overlooked by schools who have already seen my application? Should I reach out to the schools? Or am I overthinking it, should I not worry.
As long as you can complete it before matriculation you are good.
The schools won’t get your transcript and compare it against their prerequisites until after they have made you an offer of admission. Make your own plans to complete it by then and you can update them

How much do Texas schools care about Casper? Would a low quartile weed me out of some schools?

The PCR didn't include one of Pre-requisite course which was taken for Pass/Fail during Fall 2020. TMDSAS website states schools accepts for Spring 2020 academic term (including Winter 2020 term on a quarter system) through Spring 2021. Should I request TMDSAS to update this coursework in PCR or else how can I communicate to schools about this course ?

The PCR didn't include one of Pre-requisite course which was taken for Pass/Fail during Fall 2020. TMDSAS website states schools accepts for Spring 2020 academic term (including Winter 2020 term on a quarter system) through Spring 2021. Should I request TMDSAS to update this coursework in PCR or else how can I communicate to schools about this course ?
From the TMDSAS Guide:

I was expecting more courses to be on the PCR, why aren’t they listed?
• You didn’t earn a grade for this course.
o If a course was taken for Pass/Fail then it will not appear on the PCR. If it’s coded as the prerequisite, there’s nothing you’ll need to
do.
• COVID-19:
o If courses were taken Pass/Fail, Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory, or Credit/No Credit because of COVID-19 circumstances, please note that the schools take this into account when reviewing. Please keep in mind that the schools are able to view all of your coursework when reviewing your application.

From the TMDSAS Guide:

I was expecting more courses to be on the PCR, why aren’t they listed?
• You didn’t earn a grade for this course.
o If a course was taken for Pass/Fail then it will not appear on the PCR. If it’s coded as the prerequisite, there’s nothing you’ll need to
do.
• COVID-19:
o If courses were taken Pass/Fail, Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory, or Credit/No Credit because of COVID-19 circumstances, please note that the schools take this into account when reviewing. Please keep in mind that the schools are able to view all of your coursework when reviewing your application.
Thank you

I'm having a hard time with the two optional essays for TMDSAS.

For personal characteristics, I wanted to write about connecting with someone when I was on pilgrimage (Hajj) last summer. We got along and quickly became friends even though he was from Egypt. Plan was to tie it into how I could connect with my peers.

For unique experiences, I wanted to focus on being the first child from my family to go away from home for college. Plus, how that impacted the hours and events I could do, but then turn it into how I still took the initiative to volunteer and do what I could.

Are these good ideas? I am grateful to not have any major hardships, so wasn't sure if I could write about these topics.

Thank you!

Hey y'all, I had a question about LOR status. On the schools I've completed and submitted secondaries for, it still says that my LOR is incomplete in the checklist on their portals. TMDSAS received my committee letter on 6/16, but I got an email today (6/22) saying they had received and approved it. But, the individual school portals show they still haven't received it. Why hasn't it been updated? Is there some turnaround time for this?