**Official PASS 2023 Endodontic Residency Interviews/Information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you very much!!
I wonder how much the importance of ADAT is for the application for endo residency...
It's hit or miss. Lots of programs don't require it and don't care that much about it. When I applied 2 years ago I only applied to the ones that didn't require it, and that was still 32 schools. There are some programs that put some importance into it, but the majority don't.

Members don't see this ad.

^^ Only one program I’m applying to requires it, and I’m applying to this one because it’s in the city I live in and the dental school I graduated from (and it seems like a good program IMO). This is the first year they require the ADAT, so I really don’t know how much emphasis they’ll place on it.

It's hit or miss. Lots of programs don't require it and don't care that much about it. When I applied 2 years ago I only applied to the ones that didn't require it, and that was still 32 schools. There are some programs that put some importance into it, but the majority don't.
Thank you so much!
Yes, many of the endo programs do not adopt ADAT still now, but unfortunately, the program I am applying to adopts it, of all things, from this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
^^ Only one program I’m applying to requires it, and I’m applying to this one because it’s in the city I live in and the dental school I graduated from (and it seems like a good program IMO). This is the first year they require the ADAT, so I really don’t know how much emphasis they’ll place on it.
Thank you!
I live out of the US, so it is pretty hard to go to the US again to take ADAT because I just went to the US to take NBDE II...

Thank you very much!!
I wonder how much the importance of ADAT is for the application for endo residency...
From what I've heard and experienced, not too much weight. I think most programs that require want to weed out the applicants who don't want to bother with another standardized test.

From what I've heard and experienced, not too much weight. I think most programs that require want to weed out the applicants who don't want to bother with another standardized test.
This seems to be true. I emailed a bunch of programs that require them to ask if my scores are still good if I took the test back in summer of 2020. None of them responded :rofl:

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how to add the ADAT score to the PASS? It only has the options for the individual universities and no PASS option.
It's automatic... though I had to email them and ask and then it was magically transferred into my PASS application 2 days after.

anyone else transcript taking forever to "Arrive"

Does anyone know how to add the ADAT score to the PASS? It only has the options for the individual universities and no PASS option.
Choose the program you want, then pick any university that you applied to.
PASS will receive it and add to your application.
I know it's weird, but this is the way.

Has anyone received the supplemental fee link for NYU and Rutgers? Please share

Has anyone received the supplemental fee link for NYU and Rutgers? Please share
None from NYU.

You will get an email from Rutgers saying If you’re missing ADAT(if not uploaded on PASS), photo, or App fee.

I mailed in the app fee check few weeks ago and they got it. Adress is on the ADEA search engine.

Last edited:
I am taking the GRE June 11, but I have already submitted my application. I added the test date in the Standardized Test section, but I'm not sure how to send official scores to PASS. Anyone know how to do this?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can send score result to any one school and then it will automatically send to ADEA PASS as well. They will update on your application in few days. It does not specifically gives option to send only to ADEA PASS

I sent them an email and they never responded, but they just sent them to the PASS.

None from NYU.

You will get an email from Rutgers saying If you’re missing ADAT(if not uploaded on PASS), photo, or App fee.

I mailed in the app fee check few weeks ago and they got it. Adress is on the ADEA search engine.

Oh weird, I haven't gotten any supplemental email from Rutgers (asking for fee or photo).
Did you submit to them the same day the PASS opened?

Oh weird, I haven't gotten any supplemental email from Rutgers (asking for fee or photo).
Did you submit to them the same day the PASS opened?
I submitted my PASS app on the same day It opened and got the email asking for the fee and photo on the 17th

I submitted my PASS app on the same day It opened and got the email asking for the fee and photo on the 17th
Great that you were able to get everything in so quickly. That's impressive!

Very nice! Yeah my last letter writer didn't submit until 5 days later so I bet mine is somewhere in the middle of the traffic jam of apps

Wow, that's impressive.
How did you do that?
I think it takes time to ask the recommender to write letters, ask for standardized test results to be sent to PASS, etc...
Just from curiosity.

Wow, that's impressive.
How did you do that?
I think it takes time to ask the recommender to write letters, ask for standardized test results to be sent to PASS, etc...
Just from curiosity.
I contacted my recommenders and dean like 1.5 months before PASS open and asked them to be ready to submit their letters as soon as the portal opens. I submitted my pass applications on May 12th without any of the PEF, IEF, test scores, and transcripts submitted. I think ADEA pass got all of them and my app was marked complete 22nd of May.

Last edited:
I contacted my recommenders and dean like 1.5 months before PASS open and asked them to be ready to submit their letters as soon as the portal opens. I submitted my pass applications on May 12th without any of the PEF, IEF, test scores, and transcripts submitted. I think ADEA pass got all of them and my app was marked complete 22nd of May.

That's fantastic. Meanwhile one of my evaluators "never got any email from ADEA PASS". After three re-sends and new email address, finally got it submitted today. Getting those letters in is the hardest part IMO

Hi!
Is international applicant from non-accredited school has almost zero chance in Endodontics programs? Honestly please :)

Hi!
Is international applicant from non-accredited school has almost zero chance in Endodontics programs? Honestly please :)

This is not true, at all. That's why a lot of programs have spots for these international residents.

A more appropriate question would be, "How can I improve my chances of acceptance as an international applicant?"

This depends on a variety of factors, and would be better answered by international dentists who have received an Endodontic certificate

What do you write in the "Additional information" section in PASS?

What do you write in the "Additional information" section in PASS?
I personally didn’t put anything on the experience, additional info, or achievements. I think your CV and personal statement should have included those info there.

Are you guys making your case portfolio?
Is it necessary?

Are you guys making your case portfolio?
Is it necessary?
Me no... most endo residents I've talked to said they were not asked during interviews, and one faculty member said it might actually hurt you if they start nitpicking and it doesn't match their "style" of endodontics.
That said, I'll have a few pre/post-op x-rays stored on my phone just in case someone asks, but not an official portfolio and I won't be volunteering to show them

Reactions: 1 users
Me no... most endo residents I've talked to said they were not asked during interviews, and one faculty member said it might actually hurt you if they start nitpicking and it doesn't match their "style" of endodontics.
That said, I'll have a few pre/post-op x-rays stored on my phone just in case someone asks, but not an official portfolio and I won't be volunteering to show them
I got it.
Thank you very much!

Does anyone know if the recommender can modify the recommendation letter after it has been submitted?

With everyone submitting everything the day PASS opened. Am I really shooting myself in the foot by applying now instead of May?

With everyone submitting everything the day PASS opened. Am I really shooting myself in the foot by applying now instead of May?
If you can have everything in before the middle of the month, you'll be ok.

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone get the supplemental fee link from NYU. I called them and emailed them multiple times, did not get any reply.

Is there a link that we can use to submit the fees for the supplemental application?

Did anyone get the supplemental fee link from NYU. I called them and emailed them multiple times, did not get any reply.

Is there a link that we can use to submit the fees for the supplemental application?
Received email with directions for supplemental fee payment today from NYU.

could you please someone help me where is Maryland supplemental application? I cannot find it. the one I did find was showing wrong semester start date?

could you please someone help me where is Maryland supplemental application? I cannot find it. the one I did find was showing wrong semester start date?
Have you checked it today? You should be able to get 2023 as they updated their system already

what are people's thoughts on being accepted to a program that is towards the bottom of your 13 program list, prior to ever hearing back from any of the other programs because the interview was super early? Would you take it? (someone with good class rank/experience)

what are people's thoughts on being accepted to a program that is towards the bottom of your 13 program list, prior to ever hearing back from any of the other programs because the interview was super early? Would you take it? (someone with good class rank/experience)

This is a great question, and no doubt it's a dilemma with this non-match process.

Due to the competitiveness of the cycle every year, there is no guarantee that you will be accepted to a "better" program, regardless of your class/rank. You don't know what the other programs that are higher on your list programs are looking for, if they already have candidates in mind, etc. I know so many candidates that looked great on paper and had everything check-marked, but never heard back from their top choices. It's a part of the process. However, I think the directors of the private programs know that the cheaper programs are coveted - this is why seats DO open up.

It's good to have top choices, but be careful what you wish for. It's insulting to the process for you to put a program near the bottom of your list, when so many candidates would love to even get an interview at that same program. On the flip side, you might like the "bottom" program more than other programs you interview at. I personally know a successful Endodontists that turned down a cheaper in-state programs to go to a private program because of a "better vibe/better atmosphere". I thought he was crazy, but he felt that he would thrive at the private program (and he did).

My two cents.

Reactions: 2 users
UCMS said it well. I always advocate that you only apply to places you would really like to go. Just to avoid stuff like this. If you are of the mindset that “you will go anywhere and just want to be an Endodontist” so apply to 20+ programs then you should be going to the first place you get in. If you are only applying to places you really want to go, then you should also be going to the first place you get in.

I do understand though if you get into super expensive program and want to wait on a cheaper option. Directors/ chairs can be tough on that though. Especially if they have been burned by applicants before. Just realize that the process favors the programs and be careful accepting and continuing to interview. If you go that route I would be VERY discreet.

Hoping interview invitations will begin from next week. Good luck to everyone.

Reactions: 3 users
For anyone who applied to Florida, do our recommenders really need to upload their letters to UF's separate grad application? Or is having them on PASS enough? Same question for transcripts too...thank you

Anyone applied to Tufts?
I think they ask applicants to upload transcripts and NBDE results on PASS, but in the PASS application confirmation email, they say ;

"To have your scores sent to Tufts University School of Dental Medicine use institution code 3902 and department code 38 on the TOEFL registration form.";

"Official Foreign Transcript and Diploma
  • You may submit either an official copy in a sealed envelope issued from your university or a notarized photocopy of the original. Please note that all transcripts must be translated. ";
" All applicants, including internationally trained, must submit official NBDE Part I and II scores."

Do they sufice with ones submitted on PASS?

Anyone applied to Tufts?
I think they ask applicants to upload transcripts and NBDE results on PASS, but in the PASS application confirmation email, they say ;

"To have your scores sent to Tufts University School of Dental Medicine use institution code 3902 and department code 38 on the TOEFL registration form.";

"Official Foreign Transcript and Diploma
  • You may submit either an official copy in a sealed envelope issued from your university or a notarized photocopy of the original. Please note that all transcripts must be translated. ";
" All applicants, including internationally trained, must submit official NBDE Part I and II scores."

Do they sufice with ones submitted on PASS?
I am not international but I never sent my dental school transcript, undergrad, or NBDE to them directly(only DAT scores) Everything is through PASS.

My application was marked complete.