***Official KCOM Class of 2010***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
jx2sx2 said:
My wife is currently going to cosmetology school. She called to look into transferring. They told her she would have to transfer very soon, like within a month. To make this happen to get up there I need a list of low-income apartments. Once we can get moved in and I find a job until school starts we will need the low-income apartment. By the way we will need at least 2 bdrms prefer 3 with our kids. Thanks for your help on this my fellow classmates and future colleagues.

For Rent

3 Bedroom House—801 S. Fifth

Appliances Included

Walking distance from Truman

$460 per month

Call: 660-665-7609 or 660-349-0766

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't posted on Student doctor but have been reading some threads throughout this whole application process, and it's been a big help! Anyways, I've paid $1000 in deposit for KCOM, so most likely will be attending in the fall as well.

This website is a great! He is a KCOM student and tells you daily of his class schedule, testing, etc. Just read it if you want to know what it’s like to be a KCOM student!
http://www.jasondreyer.com
User: KCOM
Password: 1892

Members don't see this ad :)
Well everybody, Looks like I'm officially going to KCOM this fall. I'm really excited to start the medical school road. I'm heading to KCOM from SLC, UT. Where are some of you coming from? I look forward to meeting you guys.

:D CLASS OF 2010! HECK YES! :D

Does anyone know how the waitlist works at KCOM? i was interviewed Feb 2 and was accepted pending availability of a seat. I'm still waiting to hear from them. I will appreciate any help i can get from students.

Anyone interested in getting a team together for the triathlon that's in September. I'm looking for a swimmer and a biker, although I have the sneaking suspicion that most would want to run as well. Let me know if anyone is interested. Here's the website for the event: www.nemotriathlon.org

tsdesai said:
Does anyone know how the waitlist works at KCOM? i was interviewed Feb 2 and was accepted pending availability of a seat. I'm still waiting to hear from them. I will appreciate any help i can get from students.

I was in the same situation after interviewing March 24th. Someone dropped, and I just got accepted for the class of 2010 today. I'm sure more people will drop. Good luck! :luck:

Why is the KCOM thread like the least active? Are we future KCOMer's boring???

Btw, I'm Andrea. Unless South Alabama decides to accept me, I will definitely be seeing you all in the fall. :) (I actually liked KCOM better, but South Alabama would be cheaper since I'm an AL resident.)

Hey andrea,
We aren't the most boring class around, but KCOM actually has an accepted student forum on their website so many of us are posting on there. Congrats on being accepted, I'm sure you'll get your email address and info soon and then you can talk to all of us on there! If you decide to come, I'll see you in the fall!

Just wanted to say hi. I'm a long time reader, first time poster. Got accepted back in August. Kirksville was the only med school that I applied to so I'm psyched about coming here. Currently I live Arkansas and run my family's restaurant, and I went to college at a small school in Baltimore and graduated with a BME degree. I haven't found a home yet in the 'ville so if you any you guys are looking for a roommate, just drop me a line. Hope to meet you all soon and good luck with everything.

Hey guys! I just got a call today that someone dropped their spot and I have been offerred a position in the KCOM class of 2010. I already put down a deposit at KCUMB. I really liked KCUMB, but also was impressed with KCOM. What are some of the reasons you guys chose KCOM over other schools? Thanks! :)

Just got the call today. I cant wait to attend KCOM. Iwas wondering if it will be fairly easy to find an apartment at this point. Does anyone have information regarding apartments that i can get? I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

tsdesai said:
Just got the call today. I cant wait to attend KCOM. Iwas wondering if it will be fairly easy to find an apartment at this point. Does anyone have information regarding apartments that i can get? I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

If you go back a couple of pages, there are links to some real estate websites. I think I will have to road trip it to Missouri in May to find a place to live. Hopefully, there are still places.

So when do I get access to the accepted student forum on the KCOM website? I got my acceptance stuff in the mail a couple of days ago. Do I have to pay my deposit first?

andi_cvr said:
So when do I get access to the accepted student forum on the KCOM website? I got my acceptance stuff in the mail a couple of days ago. Do I have to pay my deposit first?

i had the same question. I got my stuff in mail today and no access password.

If I remember correctly, I got my email and password stuff after I sent in my desposit.

tsdesai said:
i had the same question. I got my stuff in mail today and no access password.

I think you do have to pay the deposit first...

If you look at the second page of this thread there are all of the links for renting in kirksville.

My fiance and I are going to be in kirksville on May 4 and 5 if anyone is going to be around then it would great to get together.

Hey folks,
Good to see all of you excited to come to KCOM - you should be! This is really a great place.

I'm a master's student here (new anatomy education program) and will probably get to meet a lot of you as I'll likely be helping out in anatomy lab, maybe doing some tutoring, and probably even giving an anatomy lecture. You'll all actually be a year ahead of me when all is said and done, which I'm highly jealous of! At the same time, though, I really enjoy this anatomy program.

Anyway, my real reason for posting is in response to those who may be looking for housing in Kirksville. My wife and I will be buying a house later this summer and the way things are working out with my schedule and our summer vacation, we'll be gone as soon as this quarter is over at the end of this month until July. Our lease here is supposed to go until the end of July but our landlord is cool with allowing us to move out earlier if we find someone. So....

Our house is available for sure beginning in August, and as early as June if someone can swing it in such a short time period (hey, essentially my wife, me and baby moved out here in 4 days! - very long story, but it can be done!). The house is a very nice 2 bed 1 bathroom house. The interior was largely re-done just before we moved in last summer (new interior paint as well as brand new carpet); it has a 1 car attached garage with automatic opener (very nice to have in the winter!); new sink and bathtub in the bathroom. The gas furnace is just a couple of years old and works great. AC is by two window units but we found them to be quite sufficient for the house (they work very well). Lawns in the front and back of the house with yard care included in the rent. VERY excellent landlords who are very responsive to needs (they live near Kansas City but are easy to reach and have a local handyman for quick repairs). The neighborhood is very quiet and we're probably a mile or less from campus.

Rent is only $375 a month, applicances are included (no washer/dryer but hookups in the garage). Kirksville's cheap, as you've probably heard, but this place is exceptionally cheap considering what it offers! I seriously have not seen a deal like this yet, despite how cheap things are here. We really wish we could stay in this house but we feel the time is right to buy and plus, our little family will be exanding in the next couple of years so we need a little more space.

I'm willing to give all the information you might need - photos, answers to any questions, I'm probably going to even make a video of the house, so any interested can have a little virtual walk through. Just PM me and let me know if you're interested.

AmyO said:
Hey guys! I just got a call today that someone dropped their spot and I have been offerred a position in the KCOM class of 2010. I already put down a deposit at KCUMB. I really liked KCUMB, but also was impressed with KCOM. What are some of the reasons you guys chose KCOM over other schools? Thanks! :)

hey amy
kville is small and isolated, but this is a boon for students. even if you're from a big city (i'm from chicago), i believe you'll find it bearable.....in ~3 month doses ;) . at kcom, you'll have the distinction of attending the founding school of osteopathy, which carries a lot of weight in the osteopathic (and slowly but surely, in the allopathic) medical community. there are no other medical schools in the area to share resources with (kcumb has umkc to share territory with). when you rotate 3rd and 4th years, you have the choice of going to one of eight different states that kcom has sites at (fla, mich, utah, colo, ohio, nj, az, and of course missouri). exciting, eh? plus we're just damn good :cool: see you in the fall.

dave
c/o 09

Just a quick note to warn those of you looking for housing in kirksville. Be careful when renting some of the older homes in town as their utility costs can be very high . Those of you that have lived in apartments or owned newer homes might not realize how expensive utilities in an older home can be. I had to learn the hard way. I rented a house that the rent was 625 mo. but the gas bill this last winter averaged 400 mo. The house is as weather tight as you can make it, but had an old 73% effecient furnace that the landlord would not replace. I was misled by my landlord about what the utility costs would be when I moved in, so you want to make sure you get these costs from the utility company directly. Once you sign your lease you are stuck with the expense. Happy house hunting!

KirksvilleHousing.com is a new resource for rentals in Kirksville. Good luck to all of you coming out in the next month. We look forward to seeing you!