This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Add on Montefiore, Temple/Jefferson, Tufts/Boston Univ in your mid-tier range for the respective metro areas that you're targeting in addition to what the other poster added. I guess I failed US geography because I have no idea what East North Central is
Hahaha don't worry I just learned about it through ERAS as it's part of their new geographic signaling system.

It's for my purposes essentially Chicago

And thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! @obiwan @Deecee2DO
I'd really appreciate your feedback and any recommendations you have for additional programs that I should include.

I was born and raised I Dallas (hence all the Dallas programs listed), and the only other geographic ties I have outside of the state is family in Georgia and an uncle in Chicago. For the most part, I am trying to stay in a large city (to hopefully find a partner of the same culture/religion) and am also interested in pursuing GI or cards for fellowship.

Med School: mid-tier MD school in Texas
M1-M2 grades: preclinical performance was not as strong as clinical performance. 5/10 HP 5/10 P
M3-4 grades: Honors on IM/surgery/EM/psych/OBGYN, HP in neuro and peds, and P in FM
Class rank: Unsure of final rank but preclinical rank was in the 3rd quartile hopefully 2nd with clinical grades.
Step 1: P
Step 2: 262
AOA: No
GHHS: No

Research:
2 local conference posters, 1 of these posters we are currently submitting to a resident's journal (first author)
4 national conference posters (some of them I was a presenter at, some of them I wasn't)
Extracurriculars: school leadership, volunteered at community clinics, mentoring of underprivileged high school students and pre-med college students.
LORs: I think my letters are strong. Most of my writers volunteered to write me a letter and were very happy with my clinical performance with them.
- M3 IM rotation letter
- IM Chair letter
- I would like to get one on my M4 sub-I in September if possible given timing
- Psych letter

Geographic Signaling: South, Midwest, PNW? Flexible on this!

Red flags: None

Goals:
- Academic medicine in a big city that will help me be competitive for fellowship or has a fellowship program.

Delusional:
Penn
U Chicago

Reach or Target? ( I am not sure if I am competitive for these would appreciate your feedback) :
UTSW
Wash U St Louis
Emory
Cleveland Clinic
Northwestern
Baylor Houston
Baylor Dallas

Safety:
Methodist Houston
Methodist Dallas
Texas Health Resources Dallas

Are my research experiences and ECs enough for schools in major cities or top programs? Also, if there are any other recommendations for programs to apply to I know my list is short I'd appreciate it! I plan on adding to it once I get a better sense of my competitiveness and where I should target. Thank you in advance:)

Last edited:
Please help me figure out my competitiveness! Now that residency explorer is down, I am just kind of nervous about being too top-heavy for residency applications and don't really know where I stand. My school's advising hasn't been helpful at all on this front.

Med School: Mid-Tier MD Midwest Program
M1-M2 grades: Pass/Fail
M3-4 grades: 4 Honors (Surgery, OBGYN, Psych, Neuro), 2 HP (IM, Peds), 1 P (FM, had it first)
Class rank: No class rank
Step 2: 252

Research: 4 publications (1 first author) 1 poster at national conference, 1 podium at national conference, one 3rd author publication in high impact journal
Extracurriculars: Very active in school's outreach clinic, held a leadership position in school's orientation program
LORs: 1 Research mentor (Urologist), 1 Cardiologist, 1 Crit care, 1 Chair letter

Geographic Signaling: Pacific, Mountain, Midwest. Thinking about putting no preference since I really just want to go to a cool city regardless of region.

Goals: I just want to match at a decent institution in a cool city. Ideally, I'd like to train at an academic program.

For funsies: UCSF, UCLA, MGH, U Chicago, UPenn
Reaches: Northwestern, Cedars-Sinai, Duke, Cleveland Clinic, Baylor, Michigan
Targets: BU, GW, Indiana, U Colorado (Family ties), Georgetown, UCLA Olive View, Mayo AZ, Oregon, Rush, Sidney Kimmel, Temple, Tufts, Cincinnati, UNC, USC, U Washington, U Wisconsin, Wake Forest
Safeties: UT Dell, UC Irvine, Loyola, Kaiser Oakland

My school told me to apply to mainly target schools and some safeties but I don't even know what really qualifies as those. Should I be applying to more community programs? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! @obiwan @Deecee2DO
I'd really appreciate your feedback and any recommendations you have for additional programs that I should include.

I was born and raised I Dallas (hence all the Dallas programs listed), and the only other geographic ties I have outside of the state is family in Georgia and an uncle in Chicago. For the most part, I am trying to stay in a large city (to hopefully find a partner of the same culture/religion) and am also interested in pursuing GI or cards for fellowship.

Med School: mid-tier MD school in Texas
M1-M2 grades: preclinical performance was not as strong as clinical performance. 5/10 HP 5/10 P
M3-4 grades: Honors on IM/surgery/EM/psych/OBGYN, HP in neuro and peds, and P in FM
Class rank: Unsure of final rank but preclinical rank was in the 3rd quartile hopefully 2nd with clinical grades.
Step 2: 262

Research:
2 local conference posters, 1 of these posters we are currently submitting to a resident's journal (first author)
4 national conference posters (some of them I was a presenter at, some of them I wasn't)
Extracurriculars: school leadership, volunteered at community clinics, mentoring of underprivileged high school students and pre-med college students.
LORs: I think my letters are strong. Most of my writers volunteered to write me a letter and were very happy with my clinical performance with them.
- M3 IM rotation letter
- IM Chair letter
- I would like to get one on my M4 sub-I in September if possible given timing
- Psych letter

Geographic Signaling: South, Midwest, PNW? Flexible on this!

Goals:
- Academic medicine in a big city that will help me be competitive for fellowship or has a fellowship program.

Delusional:
Penn
U Chicago

Reach or Target? ( I am not sure if I am competitive for these would appreciate your feedback) :
UTSW
Wash U St Louis
Emory
Cleveland Clinic
Northwestern
Baylor Houston
Baylor Dallas

Safety:
Methodist Houston
Methodist Dallas
Texas Health Resources Dallas

Are my research experiences and ECs enough for schools in major cities or top programs? Also, if there are any other recommendations for programs to apply to I know my list is short I'd appreciate it! I plan on adding to it once I get a better sense of my competitiveness and where I should target. Thank you in advance:)

Would definitely recommend trying to get a strong letter for your subI month. As far as your programs go, WashU/Northwestern/UTSW are more reach programs for your profile (UTSW typically doesn't take as many non-home program Texans compared to BCM). Would consider adding Vanderbilt as a reach; UPMC, UAB, UNC, Case Western, Rush Univ as target-ish level programs; and UT Houston/San Antonio depending on your desire to stay in Texas. And FYI, BUMC Dallas is a safety program.

Hi! Appreciate any feedback/help in setting expectations! Would like to be in a bigger city (ideally in Chicago) and at an academic center since I want to do fellowship.

Med School: Middle-tier school in South
M1-M2 grades: Pass
M3-4 grades: 1 Honors, 4 HP (both Medicine and Surgery), 1 P in Surgery; H in IM AI
Class rank: Unsure but probably middle 3rd
Step 2: 245-250
AOA: Unsure but probably no.
GHHS: Yes

Research: 2 publications; 2 pubs submitted and awaiting decision; 2 abstracts; 8 posters + 2 oral presentations at national conferences
Extracurriculars: Strong, lots of student clinic leadership and community involvement
LORs (think will be strong):
- M4 IM Sub-I attending
- M3 IM attending
- IM Chair letter
- Research mentor

Geographic Signaling: East North Central (partner lives in IL); Northeast (lots of family here). From the south.
Goals: Academic IM with goal of fellowship

Delusional: Northwestern, WashU, Columbia, Cornell
Reaches: UChicago, NYU, Emory, Sinai, Montefiore, UVA, Case Western
Targets: Rush, UIC, Jefferson, Temple, Loyola, UMaryland, JHU Bayview, Georgetown, George Washington, Tufts, UMiami, Tulane, MCW, UWisconsin, Rochester, Rutgers RWJ
Safeties: Unsure if I should add community programs??

Appreciate any feedback! Thank you!!

Hi all - would love any advice about re-applying to IM after not matching into a surgical specialty this past year. I will be completing a surgery preliminary year at my home institution which also has a top 20 IM program.

Med School: Top 20
Step 1 / Level 1: 24X
Step 2 / Level 2: 26X
Clerkship grades: P/F
Class rank: N/A
Research: 15+ publications (4+ first author, mix of oncology, allergy & immunology, and surgical research)
LORs: Surgery PD, IM chair, two strong clinical letters
Gold Humanism/AOA: No/NA
ECs:
Extensive volunteer work with the student-run free clinic, including multiple leadership and longitudinal positions; positions in medical school and medical center committees
Red flags: Previous MD graduate, completing a surgical prelim year
Career goals: Academic medicine, either oncology or cardiology or critical care

Questions:
  • How many programs should I apply to? Currently, have a list of ~60 programs with about equal numbers in the high/mid/low tiers.
  • What should my expectations be in terms of interviews and competitiveness?
@Deecee2DO @obiwan would appreciate your input.
Thoughts on my program list? Regionally signaling West Coast, and NYC/NJ/PA and IL/OH/MI/IN region. Open to adding more programs or removing likely low-yield programs.

Far Reaches: BWH, MGH, Johns Hopkins, UPenn, UCSF, UCLA, Duke, Columbia, Michigan, Mayo (MN), U Washington
Reaches: UPMC, WashU, Vanderbilt, Beth Israel, Cornell, Northwestern, UChicago, Stanford, Baylor, Yale, UTSW
Targets: NYU, Emory, Miami, Mount Sinai, USC, Mayo Clinic (Florida), UNC, UCLA Harbor, UCLA Olive View, Boston U, UCSD, UAB, UC Davis, Mayo (AZ), MUSC, Case Western, Cleveland Clinic, Ohio State, Tufts, OHSU
Safeties:? Cedars Sinai, Temple, Jefferson, UC Irvine, UT Memphis, Meharry

Last edited:
Hi! Appreciate any feedback/help in setting expectations! Would like to be in a bigger city (ideally in Chicago) and at an academic center since I want to do fellowship.

Med School: Middle-tier school in South
M3-4 grades: 1 Honors, 4 HP (both Medicine and Surgery), 1 P in Surgery; H in IM AI
Class rank: Unsure but probably middle 3rd
Step 2: 245-250
AOA: Unsure but probably no.

Research: 2 publications; 2 pubs submitted and awaiting decision; 2 abstracts; 8 posters + 2 oral presentations at national conferences
Extracurriculars: Strong, lots of student clinic leadership and community involvement
LORs (think will be strong):
- M4 IM Sub-I attending
- M3 IM attending
- IM Chair letter
- Research mentor

Geographic Signaling: East North Central (partner lives in IL); Northeast (lots of family here). From the south.
Goals: Academic IM with goal of fellowship

Delusional: Northwestern, WashU, Columbia, Cornell
Reaches: UChicago, NYU, Emory, Sinai, Montefiore, UVA, Case Western
Targets: Rush, UIC, Jefferson, Temple, Loyola, UMaryland, JHU Bayview, Georgetown, George Washington, Tufts, UMiami, Tulane, MCW, UWisconsin, Rochester, Rutgers RWJ
Safeties: Unsure if I should add community programs??

Appreciate any feedback! Thank you!!
I might add on Cleveland Clinic since you're already applying to Case Western and the other university programs in Ohio since you're open to being in the state as well as consider UPMC as a reasonable reach/target program. I guess you could have Cook County as a safety for s**ts and giggles if you really want to be in Chicago

Reactions: 1 user
Please help me figure out my competitiveness! Now that residency explorer is down, I am just kind of nervous about being too top-heavy for residency applications and don't really know where I stand. My school's advising hasn't been helpful at all on this front.

Med School: Mid-Tier MD Midwest Program
M1-M2 grades: Pass/Fail
M3-4 grades: 4 Honors (Surgery, OBGYN, Psych, Neuro), 2 HP (IM, Peds), 1 P (FM, had it first)
Class rank: No class rank
Step 2: 252

Research: 4 publications (1 first author) 1 poster at national conference, 1 podium at national conference, one 3rd author publication in high impact journal
Extracurriculars: Very active in school's outreach clinic, held a leadership position in school's orientation program
LORs: 1 Research mentor (Urologist), 1 Cardiologist, 1 Crit care, 1 Chair letter

Geographic Signaling: Pacific, Mountain, Midwest. Thinking about putting no preference since I really just want to go to a cool city regardless of region.

Goals: I just want to match at a decent institution in a cool city. Ideally, I'd like to train at an academic program.

For funsies: UCSF, UCLA, MGH, U Chicago, UPenn
Reaches: Northwestern, Cedars-Sinai, Duke, Cleveland Clinic, Baylor, Michigan
Targets: BU, GW, Indiana, U Colorado (Family ties), Georgetown, UCLA Olive View, Mayo AZ, Oregon, Rush, Sidney Kimmel, Temple, Tufts, Cincinnati, UNC, USC, U Washington, U Wisconsin, Wake Forest
Safeties: UT Dell, UC Irvine, Loyola, Kaiser Oakland

My school told me to apply to mainly target schools and some safeties but I don't even know what really qualifies as those. Should I be applying to more community programs? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Northwestern/Duke/Michigan are probably true reaches for you. The rest of your list is fine. I would add on University of Utah as a solid program to apply to based on your geographics and Salt Lake City seems to be one of the "cooler" cities these days at least according to the young folk. Don't think you need to go crazy on community programs unless your highest priority is being in a cool city so like Swedish/Virginia Mason for Seattle/Santa Clara for Bay Area/Scripps for San Diego etc

Med School: Mid-tier school in southeast
M1-M2 grades: Mix of mostly P and HP, H in neuro (didnt think these grades actually mattered)
M3-4 grades: H in neuro and FM; HP in IM, surgery, peds; P in OBGYN and psych; likely H on IM AI
Class rank: NA
Step 2: 26x

Research: 2 publications, 8 posters (5 at national conferences, 1 case report only)
Extracurriculars: Strong leadership, volunteering is avg aside from clinic I started

LORs:
- M3 outpatient IM physician (strong letter)
- M4 sub-I attending
- M4 sub-I attending
- IM Chair letter (strong)
- PI for biggest project that ran throughout med school

Geographic Signaling: Northeast and Southeast for sure, going hard for northeast. Might add Cali but unsure if its worth it w/my grades.
Goals: Strongly leaning towards fellowship.

Delusional: UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, UPenn
Reach: Columbia, NYU, Cornell, Mount Sinai
Target: Georgetown, MUSC, Colorado, Maryland, Duke, Mayo Jax
Safeties: GW, USF

I'm still making my list (open to tips), and tbh I really want to end up in NYC (or any big city that isnt frigid or has water nearby). My step score and research is carrying me I think, but my grades are pretty average and id just like to hear what people think. For what its worth, I think my interviewing will go well.

How much are my grades going to hold me back? Will applying to community programs like Montefiore limit fellowship apps?

Last edited:
M1-M2 grades: Mix of mostly P and HP, H in neuro (didnt think these grades actually mattered)
M3-4 grades: H in neuro and FM; HP in IM, surgery, peds; P in OBGYN and psych; likely H on IM AI
Step 2: 267

Research: 2 publications, 8 posters (5 at national conferences, 1 case report only)
Extracurriculars: Strong leadership, founded a student run clinic and founded a cultural org in undergrad, volunteering is avg aside from clinic I started

LORs:
- M4 sub-I attending
- M4 sub-I attending

Geographic Signaling: Northeast and Southeast for sure, going hard for northeast. Might add Cali but unsure if its worth it w/my grades.
Goals: Strongly leaning towards fellowship. Nearly all my research is GI related.

I'm still making my list (open to tips), and tbh I really want to end up in NYC (or any big city that isnt frigid or has water nearby). My step score and research is carrying me I think, but my grades are pretty average and id just like to hear what people think. For what its worth, I think my interviewing will go well.

How much are my grades going to hold me back? Will applying to community programs like Montefiore limit fellowship apps?
If you want to be in NYC could consider adding Monte rwj and Hofstra northwell. You’ll likely place Monte in the target and the other two in safety bin but would increase your chances in the nyc area.

Re; your question about Monte, it is in fact an academic program. It’s the aecom (Einstein) main hospital. Take a look at their fellowship matches which I believe are updated online for how their residents have matched over the last several years. I don’t believe it would close any doors.

If open to other northeast/new England would consider BU, brown tufts Dartmouth and BID and could also bwh and mgh with the understanding that those two are unlikely to offer you an IV

Good luck

If you want to be in NYC could consider adding Monte rwj and Hofstra northwell. You’ll likely place Monte in the target and the other two in safety bin but would increase your chances in the nyc area.

Re; your question about Monte, it is in fact an academic program. It’s the aecom (Einstein) main hospital. Take a look at their fellowship matches which I believe are updated online for how their residents have matched over the last several years. I don’t believe it would close any doors.

If open to other northeast/new England would consider BU, brown tufts Dartmouth and BID and could also bwh and mgh with the understanding that those two are unlikely to offer you an IV

Good luck
I think Columbia and Cornell are at least as competitive as UCLA and UCSD, but you don’t lose much by applying. Duke’s also a reach.

More mid-Atlantic and SE, coastal, broadly mid-tier academic programs to consider: Jefferson, Temple, Hopkins Bayview, Miami, Tulane

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Step 2: 267

Extracurriculars: Strong leadership, founded a student run clinic and founded a cultural org in undergrad, volunteering is avg aside from clinic I started

LORs:
- M4 sub-I attending
- M4 sub-I attending

Goals: Strongly leaning towards fellowship. Nearly all my research is GI related.

Move UCSD and UCLA to reach from delusional (normally they would be targets but i am unsure you have ties to CA) and move Duke and Columbia to delusional category although i dont think your delusional category is completely delusional haha thats a little harsh i think they are definitely reaches though (Duke Penn Columbia UCSF). NYU Cornell and Sinai i think are high targets but still targets. MUSC GW USF and Mayo Jax are safeties. Colorado Maryland and Georgetown are targets. Add Dartmouth Brown Cleveland Clinic Main Emory UNC BU Tufts Monte Wake Forest and UVA to targets

I updated my post given more information, how does my program list look?

Med School: T-10-15ish USMD
Step 1 / Level 1: Pass
Step 2 / Level 2: 27X
Clerkship grades: All honors
Class rank: Unsure yet (probably top quartile)
Research: 4 mid-author pubs, 3 abstracts at national conferences (1 first author), 3 poster presentations, 2 papers that will be submitted at time of app (1 first author)
LORs: One from well known cardiologist at my institution, one from Sub I attending, one from outpatient medicine rotation attending
Gold Humanism: Yes
ECs: Significant leadership at free clinic, significant work with homeless population during gap year, lots of teaching/mentoring
Red flags: No AOA?
Career goals: Cards

School list:
Reaches: MGH, BWH, Penn, Hopkins, Columbia, UCSF, Stanford
Target: Mt. Sinai, Cornell, NYU, BIDMC, Northwestern, UChicago, Yale, UVA, UMich, Mayo (MN), Pittsburgh
Safety: Georgetown, GWU, BU, Jefferson, Brown, Tufts, VCU, Hofstra, RWJ, Monte

Members don't see this ad :)

Research: 4 mid-author pubs, 3 abstracts at national conferences (1 first author), 3 poster presentations, 2 papers that will be submitted at time of app (1 first author)
LORs: One from well known cardiologist at my institution, one from Sub I attending, one from outpatient medicine rotation attending
ECs: Significant leadership at free clinic, significant work with homeless population during gap year, lots of teaching/mentoring

School list:
Target: Mt. Sinai, Cornell, NYU, BIDMC, Northwestern, UChicago, Yale, UVA, UMich, Mayo (MN), Pittsburgh
Great application, very appropriate list.

School list:
I know there's no AOA but you're also coming from a T20, I can't imagine you won't get interviews to at least a couple or more of them.

Last edited:
Thoughts on my program list? Regionally signaling West Coast, and NYC/NJ/PA and IL/OH/MI/IN region. Open to adding more programs or removing likely low-yield programs.

Delusional: BWH, MGH, Johns Hopkins, UPenn, UCSF, UCLA, Duke, Columbia, Michigan, Mayo (MN), U Washington
Reaches: UPMC, WashU, Vanderbilt, Beth Israel, Cornell, Northwestern, UChicago, Stanford, Baylor, Yale, UTSW
Targets: NYU, Emory, Miami, Mount Sinai, USC, Mayo Clinic (Florida), UNC, UCLA Harbor, UCLA Olive View, Boston U, UCSD, UAB, UC Davis, Mayo (AZ), MUSC, Case Western, Cleveland Clinic, Ohio State, Tufts, OHSU
Safeties:? Cedars Sinai, Temple, Jefferson, UC Irvine, UT Memphis, Meharry
I think you’re right that your grades, test scores, and publications will open doors - and that you need to apply broadly as a specialty changer/reapplicant. This list seems reasonable. You could add places like UC Irvine, UC Davis, Montefiore, Hofstra, Rush, UIC at the lower end if you’re nervous.

Move UCSD and UCLA to reach from delusional (normally they would be targets but i am unsure you have ties to CA) and move Duke and Columbia to delusional category although i dont think your delusional category is completely delusional haha thats a little harsh i think they are definitely reaches though (Duke Penn Columbia UCSF). NYU Cornell and Sinai i think are high targets but still targets. MUSC GW USF and Mayo Jax are safeties. Colorado Maryland and Georgetown are targets. Add Dartmouth Brown Cleveland Clinic Main Emory UNC BU Tufts Monte Wake Forest and UVA to targets
What exactly is a tie to California? I have family there, albeit distant, and my family knows an older surgeon at one of the big cali schools but those things dont feel like connections since they aren't within IM. Thanks for your response!

Last edited:
I know there's no AOA but you're also coming from a T20, I can't imagine you won't get interviews to at least a couple or more of them.
Thanks! I was bummed to not get AOA and it is nice to hear it won’t throttle my app too much.

How is AOA determined at your school? Seems crazy you didnt qualify
It is a combo of grades, research, service and secret spice (aka schmoozing with the admin who are on the committee, which I didn’t do since I am not active in class leadership or admissions)

School list:
Move UVA to safety. Add Vandy to target

I’m not gonna be one of these top applicants, and posting my entire list would doxx me. I’m more looking to answer 2 questions: 1) Can I match IM? and 2) How many programs should I apply to? I’m geographically limited to VA, WV, NC, SC, PA, TN.

Med School: DO
Step 1 / Level 1:
Pass
Step 2 / Level 2: 500-510
Clerkship grades: School doesn’t do honors, mostly As, a few Bs (1 A 1 B in IM, letters from both)
Class rank: none
Research: summer project, no publication
LORs
: Two from sub-I (one is PD, one is attending), one from 3rd year attending, chair letter
Gold Humanism: school doesn’t have it
AOA: school doesn’t have it
ECs: tutoring, mentoring, extensive non-medical volunteering, club leadership
Red flags: repeat semester (LOA), no class rank, low Level 2 score
Career goals:
general IM (no fellowship)

I’m looking at mostly community programs, maybe a few lower tier academic places that fit in my geographical area.

Do I have a chance for IM? Will 30 program be enough or should I expand to 50?

I’m not gonna be one of these top applicants, and posting my entire list would doxx me. I’m more looking to answer 2 questions: 1) Can I match IM? and 2) How many programs should I apply to? I’m geographically limited to VA, WV, NC, SC, PA, TN.

Step 1 / Level 1:
Pass
Step 2 / Level 2: 500-510
Clerkship grades: School doesn’t do honors, mostly As, a few Bs (1 A 1 B in IM, letters from both)
Class rank: none
Research: summer project, no publication
LORs
: Two from sub-I (one is PD, one is attending), one from 3rd year attending, chair letter
Gold Humanism: school doesn’t have it
AOA: school doesn’t have it
ECs: tutoring, mentoring, extensive non-medical volunteering, club leadership
Red flags: repeat semester (LOA), no class rank, low Level 2 score
Career goals:
general IM (no fellowship)

I’m looking at mostly community programs, maybe a few lower tier academic places that fit in my geographical area.

Do I have a chance for IM? Will 30 program be enough or should I expand to 50?
Youll match IM. Apply community only as you had mentioned. Apply to 50-70 community programs

Med School: DO (west coast)
Step 1 / Level 1:
Pass
Step 2: 260-265
Level 2: 680-690
Clerkship grades: 3 honors in non IM rotations, rest are HP.
Research:
Nope
LORs
: 1 chair, 2 FM from outpatient, 1 IM from APD
Gold Humanism: Nope
AOA: Nope
ECs: A few fillers but nothing crazy.
Red flags:
Nope
Career goals: Want to work in a rural area/semi rural area. Interested in Cards, GI, PCCM. Would be happy as a hospitalist if that doesn't pan out.

School has historically matched peeps to the pacific region and doesn't have much data on programs in the midwest, southeast, and southwest. I have ties to the midwest and southwest. Wouldn't mind training in the southeast either. I'm not sure what programs I should target at this point. Hoping to attend a mid to low tier academic program that will keep fellowship options open.

Med School: Northeast DO school
M1-M2 grades: Graded, Top-Quartile
M3-4 grades: High Pass (EM, Psych, OBGYN), Pass (IM, FM, Surgery)
Step 2: 24x
Class rank: 1st Quartile

Research:
- 1 abstract
- 3 research projects

Extracurriculars: Volunteering in the community, Leadership of non school related extracurricular, homeless shelter, mentoring for younger high school students

LORs (all anticipated to be strong):
- M3 IM Preceptor
- M3 IM Attending
- M4 IM Sub-I Letter

Geographic Signaling: Mid-Atlantic (Hometown and family located here, undergrad attended in mid-atlantic region as well)

Goals:
- Interested in fellowship after completion of IM residency, goal of either cardiology or infectious disease fellowship

Program List:
- Need some help forming program list
- Interested in Mid-Atlantic hospitals --> GW, Georgetown, MedStar Baltimore, Hopkins (Bayview), Innova, WVU, Cristiana Care DE, UMD
- Potential interest in PA and Jersey as well. Unsure about how this will work with signaling and geographic preferences. Will a New Jersey/PA hospital give me the time of day if I put down the Mid-Atlantic region as geographic preference

Med School: Midwest DO school
M3-4 grades: Honor (FM, OB/Gyn, IM, EM), High Pass (Surgery, Psych), Pass (Peds)
Step 2: 25x
Level 2: 64x
Class rank: 2nd Quintile
Sigma Sigma Phi: Yes

Research:
- 2 research projects
- 3 poster presentations

Extracurriculars: Class Governement Leadership, Church Volunteering, Homeless shelter volunteering, Work, hobbies

LORs :
- Strong Non-Clinical letter from Cardiology professor
- IM Letter from APD
- FM PD Letter
- Letter from Department Chair
- Audition Letter

Geographic Signaling: Mid-west, specifically I want to stay in SE Michigan so does anyone have any recommendations or advice regarding Michigan programs?

Goals:
- Cardiology or Pulm/Crit but desire to be a really well trained General Internist first

Program List:
- Applying to all MI programs with fellowship opportunities, prefer academic/community-academic over strict community
- I want a sick patient population and I like to be hands on with procedures
- Looking for DO friendly programs
- Really looking at HF Main versus Beaumont RO as my top 2 right now but if anyone else has any recommendations please let me know
- Any with moonlighting opportunity if possible

Thanks everyone

Med School: Low tier MD in Florida
M3-4 grades: High pass in surgery and psych
Class rank: Middle of the pack
Step 1: Pass
Step 2: 255

Research: None
Extracurriculars: Some leadership positions. Serving on adcom. Lots of volunteering, one thats unique and extensive.
LORs:
- M3 subspecialty physician
- M3 Surgery preceptor
- M4 Sub-I hospitalist
- IM Chair letter

Geographic Signaling: Really want to stay around the area for finacee/family.
Goals: Considering fellowship.

Delusional: Duke, UNC, UTSW, Baylor
Reach: Emory, UAB
Target: UF, USF, UM, CC of FL, UF Jax, Mayo Jax, Mt. Sinai Miami, FAU, Orlando Regional.
Safeties: UCF gainesville/orlando, other community programs in FL.

Unsure of where to apply. Prefer to train at a university program, but I don't know what I'm competive for without research.

Med School: Low tier MD in Florida
M3-4 grades: High pass in surgery and psych
Class rank: Middle of the pack
Step 2: 255

Research: None
Extracurriculars: Some leadership positions. Serving on adcom. Lots of volunteering, one thats unique and extensive.
LORs:
- M3 subspecialty physician
- M3 Surgery preceptor
- M4 Sub-I hospitalist
- IM Chair letter

Geographic Signaling: Really want to stay around the area for finacee/family.
Goals: Considering fellowship.

Delusional: Duke, UNC, UTSW, Baylor
Reach: Emory, UAB
Target: UF, USF, UM, CC of FL, UF Jax, Mayo Jax, Mt. Sinai Miami, FAU, Orlando Regional.
Safeties: UCF gainesville/orlando, other community programs in FL.

Unsure of where to apply. Prefer to train at a university program, but I don't know what I'm competive for without research.
Like you said, overall middle of the pack type applicant. Would probably add programs like Wake Forest, Tulane, UT Houston, MUSC if we're sticking to the South/southeastern parts as target programs. Good luck

Med School: Mid-tier MD school in midwest
M1-M2 grades: All Pass
M3-4 grades: Honors in IM, Psych, Neurology, Family Med, High pass in surg, obgyn, peds
Class rank: 1st quartile
Step 2: 24X :(
AOA: Yes

Research:
NIH-funded summer grant with prospective patient data collection-focused research; a few global health-focused projects, a surgery project from M1
3 papers (2 first-authored) + 1 in review + 1 will be submitted prior to eras; 15 posters (including 4 first-author at national conferences)

Extracurriculars: first-gen college student and lots of volunteering with my community and immigrants, one experience that is pretty unique and extensive; national leadership position, lots of advocacy, longitudinal student government

LORs:
- M4 sub-i hospitalist/APD
- M4 sub-i hospitalist
- M4 elective/research - sub-specialty (PD for fellowship)
- IM Chair letter

Geographic Signaling: Don't have geographic limitations. Was planning on signalling Midwest, new England, mid-atlantic (or pacific). Family is around minnesota, california, and NYC. Don't need to stay close to family.

Goals: Like research and academic medicine, considering fellowship

Delusional: UMich, UChicago, Northwestern, UPenn, UWashington, Mt. Sinai, Yale, BIDMC
Reach: Emory, UPMC, Boston, Sidney Kimmell, UWisconsin
Target: Henry Ford, Wayne State, OHSU, Rush, UIC, Loyola, Georgetown, GWU, Jefferson, RWJF, Tufts, Montefiore, UMaryland, SUNY-Downstate, Med College of Wisconsin, UMinnesota
Safeties: 10 community programs in IL/MI, SIU, others??
Unsure of my list. Would prefer academic since I enjoy research and want to do a fellowship in the future, but my step 2 score is below average.
Loved my ICU rotation... enjoyed sick patient populations
X + Y schedule would be great

Thank you!

Med School: Mid-tier MD school in midwest
M1-M2 grades: All Pass
M3-4 grades: Honors in IM, Psych, Neurology, Family Med, High pass in surg, obgyn, peds
Class rank: 1st quartile
Step 2: 24X :(

Research:
NIH-funded summer grant with prospective patient data collection-focused research; a few global health-focused projects, a surgery project from M1
3 papers (2 first-authored) + 1 in review + 1 will be submitted prior to eras; 15 posters (including 4 first-author at national conferences)

Extracurriculars: first-gen college student and lots of volunteering with my community and immigrants, one experience that is pretty unique and extensive; national leadership position, lots of advocacy, longitudinal student government

LORs:
- M4 sub-i hospitalist/APD
- M4 sub-i hospitalist
- M4 elective/research - sub-specialty (PD for fellowship)
- IM Chair letter

Geographic Signaling: Don't have geographic limitations. Was planning on signalling Midwest, new England, mid-atlantic (or pacific). Family is around minnesota, california, and NYC. Don't need to stay close to family.

Goals: Like research and academic medicine, considering fellowship

Delusional: UMich, UChicago, Northwestern, UPenn, UWashington, Mt. Sinai, Yale, BIDMC
Reach: Emory, UPMC, Boston, Sidney Kimmell, UWisconsin
Target: Henry Ford, Wayne State, OHSU, Rush, UIC, Loyola, Georgetown, GWU, Jefferson, RWJF, Tufts, Montefiore, UMaryland, SUNY-Downstate, Med College of Wisconsin, UMinnesota
Safeties: 10 community programs in IL/MI, SIU, others??
Unsure of my list. Would prefer academic since I enjoy research and want to do a fellowship in the future, but my step 2 score is below average.
Loved my ICU rotation... enjoyed sick patient populations
X + Y schedule would be great

Thank you!
I don't love the new "delusional" category this year. Not sure where it came from, but it needs to go away.

Leaving aside the fact that your categories are all kinds of mixed up and mostly illogical, I think you have a pretty good list. Kimmell and Jefferson are the same place. And Downstate has no business being on your list (I say that as a proud Downstate alum).

No harm in adding places like MGH and BWH if you're already doing BIDMC. For NYC programs, it won't hurt to apply to NYU and Cornell. I'd skip Columbia personally, but it's just money and ego at risk. If small towns don't bother you that much, Dartmouth should get an app (that place would have been my #1 if I hadn't been married at the time and trying to keep a spouse happy). Why not hit up Johnny Hop and Baby Hop since you're looking in the DC area anyway? Iowa, Indy and Cinci if you're looking at the midwest. Throw all those places in there and you probably don't need to bother with your safeties (of which half your target list counts anyway).

Med School: Low-tier MD
M1-M2 grades: P/F
M3-4 grades: All honors
Class rank: Top Quartile
Step 2: 266
Research: 1 published abstract, 5 posters
Extracurriculars: Lots of hobbies, leadership, teaching, interesting jobs and service.
LORs: Probably decent enough
Geographic Signaling: Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Pacific

I'd appreciate any tips on what my reaches, targets, and safeties are!

Med School: Low-tier MD
M3-4 grades: All honors
Class rank: Top Quartile
Research: 1 published abstract, 5 posters
Extracurriculars: Lots of hobbies, leadership, teaching, interesting jobs and service.
LORs: Probably decent enough
Geographic Signaling: Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Pacific

I'd appreciate any tips on what my reaches, targets, and safeties are!
Seems like you are at/near the top of your class and are AOA so no program is necessarily out of reach. Apply to the top X programs in the regions you like (MGH, BWH, Penn, Columbia, UW, JHH, etc.) and then a handful of mid-tier programs in those cities and you should be in good shape.

Med School: Mid-tier MD
M3-4 grades: P/F 3rd year, Honors in Gen Surg Sub-I and Cardiology Sub-I. Awaiting grades for MICU Sub-I.
Class rank:
No class ranks reported per school.
Research: 12 published peer-reviewed articles, 3 peer-reviewed book chapters, 10 poster presentations and 5 oral presentations in national and international conferences.
Extracurriculars: Heavy on mentorship and teaching, enough community service, only undergraduate work experience because of no gap years at any point.
LORs: 1 IM chair letter, 2 letters from cardiologists, 1 pending from nephrologist
Geographic Signaling: New England, Mid-Atlantic, South-Atlantic

I've made a switch from applying to a surgical subspecialty to internal medicine (hoping to purse cardiology eventually), so my research is very surgical heavy. Because I made the switch in my 4th year, I did not get to do an actual Medicine Sub-I because all the slots were filled. Instead, I did General Surgery Sub-I, Cardiology Sub-I, and MICU Sub-I. Another concern is not having a general IM letter and only submitting two cardiology + chair IM letter if my Nephrology attending doesn't end up submitting on time.

Here are the programs I am thinking of so far:

Delusional: BWH, MGH, JHH
Reach: Penn, Duke, Columbia, Michigan, Yale, U Chicago, Northwestern, Cornell, BIDMC, UPMC, Mayo
Target: UVA, UNC, Case, Brown, BU, Cleveland Clinic, Jefferson, Hopkins Bayview, Dartmouth
Safeties: Penn State, Temple, Maryland, Tufts, Rochester, Rutgers, U Mass

Med School: Mid-tier MD
M3-4 grades: P/F 3rd year, Honors in Gen Surg Sub-I and Cardiology Sub-I. Awaiting grades for MICU Sub-I.
Class rank:
No class ranks reported per school.
Research: 12 published peer-reviewed articles, 3 peer-reviewed book chapters, 10 poster presentations and 5 oral presentations in national and international conferences.
Extracurriculars: Heavy on mentorship and teaching, enough community service, only undergraduate work experience because of no gap years at any point.
LORs: 1 IM chair letter, 2 letters from cardiologists, 1 pending from nephrologist

I've made a switch from applying to a surgical subspecialty to internal medicine (hoping to purse cardiology eventually), so my research is very surgical heavy. Because I made the switch in my 4th year, I did not get to do an actual Medicine Sub-I because all the slots were filled. Instead, I did General Surgery Sub-I, Cardiology Sub-I, and MICU Sub-I. Another concern is not having a general IM letter and only submitting two cardiology + chair IM letter if my Nephrology attending doesn't end up submitting on time.

Delusional: BWH, MGH, JHH
Reach: Penn, Duke, Columbia, Michigan, Yale, U Chicago, Northwestern, Cornell, BIDMC, UPMC, Mayo
Target: UVA, UNC, Case, Brown, BU, Cleveland Clinic, Jefferson, Hopkins Bayview, Dartmouth
Safeties: Penn State, Temple, Maryland, Tufts, Rochester, Rutgers, U Mass
Looks fine. I think you have a good shot at your reaches with AOA and research productivity.

As faculty, I have no idea how I’d evaluate most applicants from your school. P/F clerkship grades seem like a disservice to students who are average to above average but not AOA.

updated with all my info now
School: Mid tier US MD (a Univ. of California school)
Step 2: 257
Pre-clinical: P/F first year; 3/5 honors in 2nd year
Clinical grades: 6/7 honors (everything except peds) with great evals
Class Ranking: Top 10%
GHH: No
Research:
4 publications (all primary research articles in cardiology and nephrology) two of which I am first author.
8 abstracts/presentations including one oral presentation at major cardiology conference.
NIH grant
Excellence in Research scholarship at school

ECs:
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion committee member on California chapter of American College of Cardiology. President/Founder of Cardiology Interest Group. Basketball podcast in undergrad. Barista. 2-3 other cookie cutter ECs

LORs:
2 cardiology, 1 sub-i

Random:
low SES with various awards and scholarships

School list: Is my list too top heavy? Any additions or subtractions?
Reaches
  1. Massachusetts General Hospital
  2. Johns Hopkins University
  3. University of California, San Francisco
  4. Brigham and Women’s
  5. University of Pennsylvania
  6. New York Presbyterian (Columbia)
  7. UCLA
  8. University of Washington
  9. NYU
  10. McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University
  11. Stanford University
  12. Icahn School of Medicine Mount Sinai
  13. Emory University
  14. Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
  15. University of Chicago
  16. Yale-New Haven Medical Center
  17. UPMC
  18. Baylor
  19. New York Presbyterian (Cornell)
Targets:
  1. USC
  2. University of Colorado
  3. UCSD
  4. Boston University
  5. Sidney Kimmel Medical College
  6. OHSU
  7. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Safeties
  1. UCLA Harbor
  2. University of California, Davis
  3. Olive View UCLA
  4. University of California, Irvine
  5. Scripps Clinic
  6. Loma Linda University
  7. Kaiser Permanente (Los Angeles)

updated with all my info now
School: Mid tier US MD (a Univ. of California school)
Step 2: 257
Pre-clinical: P/F first year; 3/5 honors in 2nd year
Clinical grades: 6/7 honors (everything except peds) with great evals
Class Ranking: Top 10%
GHH: No
Research:
4 publications (all primary research articles in cardiology and nephrology) two of which I am first author.
8 abstracts/presentations including one oral presentation at major cardiology conference.
NIH grant
Excellence in Research scholarship at school

ECs:
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion committee member on California chapter of American College of Cardiology. President/Founder of Cardiology Interest Group. Basketball podcast in undergrad. Barista. 2-3 other cookie cutter ECs

LORs:
2 cardiology, 1 sub-i

Random:
low SES with various awards and scholarships

School list: Is my list too top heavy? Any additions or subtractions?
Reaches
  1. Massachusetts General Hospital
  2. Johns Hopkins University
  3. University of California, San Francisco
  4. Brigham and Women’s
  5. University of Pennsylvania
  6. New York Presbyterian (Columbia)
  7. UCLA
  8. University of Washington
  9. NYU
  10. McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University
  11. Stanford University
  12. Icahn School of Medicine Mount Sinai
  13. Emory University
  14. Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
  15. University of Chicago
  16. Yale-New Haven Medical Center
  17. UPMC
  18. Baylor
  19. New York Presbyterian (Cornell)
Targets:
  1. USC
  2. University of Colorado
  3. UCSD
  4. Boston University
  5. Sidney Kimmel Medical College
  6. OHSU
  7. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Safeties
  1. UCLA Harbor
  2. University of California, Davis
  3. Olive View UCLA
  4. University of California, Irvine
  5. Scripps Clinic
  6. Loma Linda University
  7. Kaiser Permanente (Los Angeles)
Your approach of applying to a bunch of top programs, a bunch of California programs, and a smattering of other mid-tier programs is fine. UCLA, Baylor, UPMC, Emory probably belong with targets rather than reaches. You’ll probably get more interview invitations than you’re able to schedule, at which point you should make sure that your final interview list still includes a mix of reaches, targets, and safeties.

Med School: low-to-mid MD
M1-M2 grades: Pass, no honors
M3 grades: Honors in Neuro, Psych. High Pass in IM, Family, Obgyn. Pass surgery, peds.
M4 grades: Honors IM sub-I, ICU
Class rank: middle
Step 2: high 250s
Research: 1 poster presentation, 1 published abstract, 1 upcoming poster presentation. Manuscript in process unlikely to be published before applying.
Extracurriculars: Heavy on mentorship and teaching, good amount of leadership positions and community service.

LORs: 1 MICU, 1 Sub-I, 1 Cardiology through research, IM Chair letter, 1 extra nephro
Geographic Signaling: East North central, South Atlantic, and either New England or pacific

Going to be couples matching. Partner is also applying IM (Step 2 260+, AOA).

Far reach: Mayo MN, NYU, UChicago, UWash
Reach: Michigan, Emory, Mayo AZ, Yale, Northwestern, Rutgers, UCLA, Cornell, UT SW
Target: Brown, OSU, Loyola, Rush, Cleveland Clinic, Casewestern, Boston U, Mayo Fl, Ford, UCLA Harbor, Georgetown, UC san diego, Kaiser SF, USC/LA, Colorado, UNC, Dartmouth, Icahn Mount Sinai, U cincinnati, Sidney Kimmel, UPMC
Safeties: DMC, Hopkins Bayview, Beaumont (RO), U Indiana, Penn state, Temple, UTennessee Nashville, Baylor Dallas, Virginia Mason Fransciscan, UFlorida, George Washington

Having a hard time figuring out competitiveness and what target schools vs safety schools should be so this is still a preliminary list as I figure it out. Planning on applying to around 40 programs most likely. Any advice/help is appreciated!

Med School: low-to-mid MD
M1-M2 grades: Pass, no honors
M3 grades: Honors in Neuro, Psych. High Pass in IM, Family, Obgyn. Pass surgery, peds.
M4 grades: Honors IM sub-I, ICU
Class rank: middle
Step 2: high 250s
Research: 1 poster presentation, 1 published abstract, 1 upcoming poster presentation. Manuscript in process unlikely to be published before applying.
Extracurriculars: Heavy on mentorship and teaching, good amount of leadership positions and community service.

LORs: 1 MICU, 1 Sub-I, 1 Cardiology through research, IM Chair letter, 1 extra nephro
Geographic Signaling: East North central, South Atlantic, and either New England or pacific

Going to be couples matching. Partner is also applying IM (Step 2 260+, AOA).

Far reach: Mayo MN, NYU, UChicago, UWash
Reach: Michigan, Emory, Mayo AZ, Yale, Northwestern, Rutgers, UCLA, Cornell, UT SW
Target: Brown, OSU, Loyola, Rush, Cleveland Clinic, Casewestern, Boston U, Mayo Fl, Ford, UCLA Harbor, Georgetown, UC san diego, Kaiser SF, USC/LA, Colorado, UNC, Dartmouth, Icahn Mount Sinai, U cincinnati, Sidney Kimmel, UPMC
Safeties: DMC, Hopkins Bayview, Beaumont (RO), U Indiana, Penn state, Temple, UTennessee Nashville, Baylor Dallas, Virginia Mason Fransciscan, UFlorida, George Washington

Having a hard time figuring out competitiveness and what target schools vs safety schools should be so this is still a preliminary list as I figure it out. Planning on applying to around 40 programs most likely. Any advice/help is appreciated!
Your tiers are off, but more importantly, for couple’s matching I’d prioritize applying to lots of programs in cities or regions where you and your partner are both likely to get multiple interviews. It looks like you’ve done some of that but omitted some programs in high-yield cities and included some places that don’t make a ton of sense geographically. Also, you don’t lose much by aiming high (as well as more realistic places) and seeing if you can ride your partner’s coattails a little.

For NY programs, I’d add Montefiore (target). Rutgers is NY-area target; Columbia, Cornell, Sinai, and NYU are all reaches.
For Boston, add Tufts (target) and Beth Israel Deaconess (reach).
You could consider adding Christiana in Delaware and Cooper in NJ as Philly-area safeties.
Add Maryland (target) and maybe INOVA (safety) to your Baltimore/DC list.
Add UIC in Chicago.
Add UC Irvine to your LA-area list.

School: Low tier MD
Step 1: 245
Step 2: 250
Pre-clinical: P/F first and second year
Clinical grades: 8/8 honors
Class Ranking: Top quartile
Research:
5 publications two of which I am first author

ECs/randoms:
Awarded a $75,000 grant for a free clinic, Excellence in healthcare award for my volunteer work at free clinic, featured on PBS regarding work at free clinic, AirBNB host, founded and run an event company and dessert company

LORs:
2 IM, 1 FM

Geographic Signaling: Pacific, Atlantic, Mid-Atlantic, East North Central
School list:
Do I need more safeties??
Reaches
  1. UTSW
  2. UCLA
  3. University of Washington
  4. NYU Grossman
  5. Northwestern
  6. Stanford
  7. Baylor
  8. USC
  9. New York Presbyterian (Cornell)
  10. University of Colorado
  11. UCSD
  12. OHSU
Targets:
  1. Rush
  2. Cedars Sinai
  3. UCLA Harbor
  4. UC Davis
  5. Cook County
  6. University of Illinois Chicago
  7. UCLA Olive View
  8. UCI
Safeties
  1. Scripps Green
  2. University of Arizona- Tucson
  3. University of Hawaii
  4. Loma Linda
  5. Kaiser LA
  6. Kaiser Santa Clara
  7. Scripps Mercy
  8. Huntington Memorial

School: Low tier MD
Step 1: 245
Step 2: 250
Pre-clinical: P/F first and second year
Clinical grades: 8/8 honors
Class Ranking: Top quartile
Research:
5 publications two of which I am first author

ECs/randoms:
Awarded a $75,000 grant for a free clinic, Excellence in healthcare award for my volunteer work at free clinic, featured on PBS regarding work at free clinic, AirBNB host, founded and run an event company and dessert company

LORs:
2 IM, 1 FM

Geographic Signaling: Pacific, Atlantic, Mid-Atlantic, East North Central
School list: Do I need more safeties??
Reaches
  1. UTSW
  2. UCLA
  3. University of Washington
  4. NYU Grossman
  5. Northwestern
  6. Stanford
  7. Baylor
  8. USC
  9. New York Presbyterian (Cornell)
  10. University of Colorado
  11. UCSD
  12. OHSU
Targets:
  1. Rush
  2. Cedars Sinai
  3. UCLA Harbor
  4. UC Davis
  5. Cook County
  6. University of Illinois Chicago
  7. UCLA Olive View
  8. UCI
Safeties
  1. Scripps Green
  2. University of Arizona- Tucson
  3. University of Hawaii
  4. Loma Linda
  5. Kaiser LA
  6. Kaiser Santa Clara
  7. Scripps Mercy
  8. Huntington Memorial
You are selling yourself short. While your STEPs aren't going to blow anyone away, I think your ECs will get a fair amount of attention on the interview trail. No AOA/GHHS may limit your chances at some of your reaches, but I think you'll match one of those 12. You don't need any more safeties. I'm assuming your preference is to match within California. If so, your safeties are fine. I would be shocked if you ended up matching at either Scripps hospital, Kaiser SC, or HM. Also, I would move USC, Colorado and Baylor into the target tier.

Med School: Low-tier US MD
M1-M2 grades: P/F (all passes)
M3-4 grades: 5/6 Honors M3 Clerkships (just High Pass in FM). Honors in M4 IM AI rotation
Step 2: Mid-260s
AOA: No :(
Research: Couple of articles (1 first author), couple of published abstracts, and a poster presentation
Extracurriculars: Pretty decent volunteering + a good leadership position, but nothing breaking the mold
LORs: 1 M3 IM rotation, 1 other M3 rotation, 1 M4 AI rotation (latter should be particularly strong)

Program List
Reach: Duke, Columbia, UPenn, NYU, Sinai, Emory, Yale, UPMC, Cornell
Target: UNC, UVA, Georgetown, Tufts, BU, Monte, Brown, Temple, Maryland, Thomas Jeff, GWU, Wake
Safeties: Hopkins Bayfield, Rutgers RWJ, Penn State, VCU, Carolinas, Inova, EVMS, West Virginia

Would love to add more in target range but idk what. Having a hard time judging how competitive I am + how many safeties I need (or what even should be considered as a safety for me)

Med School: Low-tier US MD
M3-4 grades: 5/6 Honors M3 Clerkships (just High Pass in FM). Honors in M4 IM AI rotation
Step 2: Mid-260s
AOA: No :(
Research: Couple of articles (1 first author), couple of published abstracts, and a poster presentation
Extracurriculars: Pretty decent volunteering + a good leadership position, but nothing breaking the mold
LORs: 1 M3 IM rotation, 1 other M3 rotation, 1 M4 AI rotation (latter should be particularly strong)

Program List
Reach: Duke, Columbia, UPenn, NYU, Sinai, Emory, Yale, UPMC, Cornell
Target: UNC, UVA, Georgetown, Tufts, BU, Monte, Brown, Temple, Maryland, Thomas Jeff, GWU, Wake
Safeties: Hopkins Bayfield, Rutgers RWJ, Penn State, VCU, Carolinas, Inova, EVMS, West Virginia

Would love to add more in target range but idk what. Having a hard time judging how competitive I am + how many safeties I need (or what even should be considered as a safety for me)
I think the list is reasonable -- you have enough mid-tier programs and safeties on there that you should have invites from without relying on reaches. Can't think of other 'targets.' Would consider adding Vanderbilt if you're looking in that region.

I think the list is reasonable -- you have enough mid-tier programs and safeties on there that you should have invites from without relying on reaches. Can't think of other 'targets.' Would consider adding Vanderbilt if you're looking in that region.
Agree that it’s a good list. If they aren’t too cold for you, could consider adding U Mass, Rochester, Dartmouth, Vermont.

Med School: lower tier MD
M1-M2 grades: Pass/Fail: all passes
M3 and M4 grades: All honors
Class rank: “Top of first quartile”
Step 2: >276 (I don’t want to dox myself by posting the exact number)
AOA: No chapter at my school.
GHHS: Have a chapter at my school; I did not receive it.
Research: 4 middle author publications. 1 first author manuscript currently under review. 4 first author presentations.
Extracurriculars: Heavily focused on mentorship, teaching, and research. Good amount of leadership positions and community involvement.
LORs: 1 from home IM Sub-I, 1 from home MICU rotation, IM Chair letter, 1 from my P.I. who’s at a top school.
Geographic Signaling: New England, mid Atlantic, south Atlantic.
Red flags: I chose not to do away rotations (not actually sure if this is a red flag; but, per my advisor, this will hurt my candidacy for top programs).

Reach: MGH, Brigham, Hopkins, UCSF, Cornell, Columbia, Mt. Sinai, NYU, Yale, BIDMC, UPenn, UPitt, Duke, Vanderbilt, Emory, Northwestern, UChicago, UMich, Mayo MN, WashU, UWash, UCLA, Stanford.

Target: Tufts, BU, UMass, Hofstra, Montefiore, URochester, Thomas Jefferson, Brown, UVA, UVM, UNC, Wake, Dartmouth, UMaryland, UColorado.

Safety: UConn, Stamford Hospital/Columbia, SUNY Downstate, Stony Brook.

I built this list with the intent to try and land at a T30 program, with other programs specifically in the northeast included. I’m unsure what is a reach or a target program since I have good grades/step 2 score, but coming from a lower tier school and not doing aways (and thus having no letters from aways) will likely hurt my application. The list could use more targets/safeties, recommendations are greatly appreciated!
Not doing aways will have little to no impact on your application.

Your only 'ding' is coming from a low tier med school. There's absolutely nothing more you could've done for your app besides more research, but yours is sufficient and higher than most.

Most of your "reaches" are targets.

Last edited:
Med School: lower tier MD
M1-M2 grades: Pass/Fail: all passes
M3 and M4 grades: All honors
Class rank: “Top of first quartile”
Step 2: >276 (I don’t want to dox myself by posting the exact number)
AOA: No chapter at my school.
GHHS: Have a chapter at my school; I did not receive it.
Research: 4 middle author publications. 1 first author manuscript currently under review. 4 first author presentations.
Extracurriculars: Heavily focused on mentorship, teaching, and research. Good amount of leadership positions and community involvement.
LORs: 1 from home IM Sub-I, 1 from home MICU rotation, IM Chair letter, 1 from my P.I. who’s at a top school.
Geographic Signaling: New England, mid Atlantic, south Atlantic.
Red flags: I chose not to do away rotations (not actually sure if this is a red flag; but, per my advisor, this will hurt my candidacy for top programs).

Reach: MGH, Brigham, Hopkins, UCSF, Cornell, Columbia, Mt. Sinai, NYU, Yale, BIDMC, UPenn, UPitt, Duke, Vanderbilt, Emory, Northwestern, UChicago, UMich, Mayo MN, WashU, UWash, UCLA, Stanford.

Target: Tufts, BU, UMass, Hofstra, Montefiore, URochester, Thomas Jefferson, Brown, UVA, UVM, UNC, Wake, Dartmouth, UMaryland, UColorado.

Safety: UConn, Stamford Hospital/Columbia, SUNY Downstate, Stony Brook.

I built this list with the intent to try and land at a T30 program, with other programs specifically in the northeast included. I’m unsure what is a reach or a target program since I have good grades/step 2 score, but coming from a lower tier school and not doing aways (and thus having no letters from aways) will likely hurt my application. The list could use more targets/safeties, recommendations are greatly appreciated!

I am curious about your step score now lol. your list is fine. you will land somewhere in those reach programs. agree with the poster above, your application is as optimized as possible, there is nothing else that you need to do. good luck

M3-4 grades: 6/13 honors. Honored IM core rotation
Class rank: not reported
Level 1: Pass
Step 2: mid 240s
Level 2: 62x
AOA: SSP if it matters?
Research: 3 presentations, 1 abstract
Extracurriculars: Club VP, started a biz, work, hobbies, volunteering, college athlete.
LORs: IM chair, IM faculty, FM faculty, FM Faculty
Geographic Signaling: Pacific, mountain west, east northcentral

Looking for university programs that are DO friendly. Goal is to match into cards, pulm/cc, or heme/onc.
@Deecee2DO

Med School: Low Tier MD
M1-M2 grades: Top 10%
M3 grades: All Honors
M4 grades: All Honors (Sub-I + Away)
Class rank: Top 10%
Step 2: ~270
Research: 2-3 publications, 6-7 posters
Extracurriculars: Lots of EC, extensive work
LORs: 1-2 are definitely very strong letters
Geographic Signaling: Mid-Atlantic, ??Not sure for other two

I'm couples matching and was hoping to get ideas on a good list, preferably wanting to match in a large urban center I at least would like to land at a T20 to open up fellowship and academic options. Partner is applying to a slightly more competitive field, Step 2 is ~255, URM, ~2nd quartile, better research than me though little work done during med school itself.

Med School: Low Tier MD
M1-M2 grades: Top 10%
M3 grades: All Honors
M4 grades: All Honors (Sub-I + Away)
Class rank: Top 10%
Step 2: ~270
Research: 2-3 publications, 6-7 posters
Extracurriculars: Lots of EC, extensive work
LORs: 1-2 are definitely very strong letters
Geographic Signaling: Mid-Atlantic, ??Not sure for other two

I'm couples matching and was hoping to get ideas on a good list, preferably wanting to match in a large urban center I at least would like to land at a T20 to open up fellowship and academic options. Partner is applying to a slightly more competitive field, Step 2 is ~255, URM, ~2nd quartile, better research than me though little work done during med school itself.
You'll be fine with wherever and whatever. Pick places your partner is likely to be able to match and just go for it. It's easier to do this in Boston/NYC/Chicago/LA/Dallas/DC but possible anywhere.

Med School: MD mid-low tier Northeast
M3-4 grades: 4/6 Honors (High Pass Gen Surg/Peds), SubIM - Honors
Class rank: Second Quintile
Step 2: 249 :(
Research: Two first author publications, one poster presentation, currently working on a multi-year clinical trial paper but will not be submitted for publication prior to apps
Extracurriculars: Great leadership position with good volunteering, curriculum work and other institutional service, focused on teaching (with one unique teaching experience) and research
LORs: IM chair, SubI-IM APD, FM faculty, PI Heme/Onc (well known in their field)
Geographic Signaling: New England, Middle Atlantic, South Atlantic

Reach: Columbia, Cornell, Yale, UPMC, UChicago, UPenn, CCF, Duke, Northwestern, Ohio State, BU, UNC, NYU

Target: Brown, Dartmouth, Tufts, Wake Forest, Georgetown, GWU, MUSC, Sidney-Kimmel TJ, Temple, UCinn, UFlorida, URoch, Virginia Commonwealth

Safety: Maine, NYU LI, Stonybrook, Kaiser Permanente-Mid Atl, UMass

Feel like my list is too top heavy, was wondering if there are programs I should be adding to my list/removing. Thanks!
I think your list is reasonable. Columbia, Cornell, Duke are long shots but there’s minimal cost to applying. You could also consider (given your apparent geographic preferences) Vermont, Montefiore, RWJ, Maryland, Hopkins Bayview, Georgetown, UVA, Rush, UIC, Miami, Case Western.

Med School: MD mid-low tier Northeast
M3-4 grades: 4/6 Honors (High Pass Gen Surg/Peds), SubIM - Honors
Class rank: Second Quintile
Step 2: 249 :(
Research: Two first author publications, one poster presentation, currently working on a multi-year clinical trial paper but will not be submitted for publication prior to apps
Extracurriculars: Great leadership position with good volunteering, curriculum work and other institutional service, focused on teaching (with one unique teaching experience) and research
LORs: IM chair, SubI-IM APD, FM faculty, PI Heme/Onc (well known in their field)
Geographic Signaling: New England, Middle Atlantic, South Atlantic

Reach: Columbia, Cornell, Yale, UPMC, UChicago, UPenn, CCF, Duke, Northwestern, Ohio State, BU, UNC, NYU

Target: Brown, Dartmouth, Tufts, Wake Forest, Georgetown, GWU, MUSC, Sidney-Kimmel TJ, Temple, UCinn, UFlorida, URoch, Virginia Commonwealth

Safety: Maine, NYU LI, Stonybrook, Kaiser Permanente-Mid Atl, UMass

Feel like my list is too top heavy, was wondering if there are programs I should be adding to my list/removing. Thanks!
Ohio state, CCF +/- BU are probably targets for you.