This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UChicago and BIDMS is a reach for someone with almost all honors, 275+ Step score, great research and ECs??

Not saying you're wrong, I'm just concerned what the standards are now haha

Only reason I said those are reaches are the lower class rank tier/lack of AOA/having to remediate a class. Hopefully the OP is able to spin it during interviews to show that it was the product of having family issues that affected their true potential as shown in the 2nd half of medical school

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Figured I should throw mine in the mix whilst I'm here.

Med school rank: Low tier Mid-Atlantic MD
USMLE Step 1: Pass
USMLE Step 2: 260-270
Class rank: Top Quartile (highest they showcase)
AOA: Yes
GHHS: Yes
Honors: All Honors, including Sub-I
Research:
  • 2 peer-reviewed published abstracts + poster presentations in a >10 impact journal / both presented (not by me) at the biggest conference worldwide in this field
  • 3 other posters
  • Manuscript recently submitted, undergoing review, and probably not published prior to ERAS
  • Case Report about to be submitted, probably not published prior to ERAS
ECs: Don't want to dox myself but have some very unique, long-term, impactful ECs as well as jobs
LORs: Currently 2 + a department letter, hoping to gain another from a reach goal away

Looking at 'top-tier' IM programs in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic

My research seems to be a weak point for these types of schools from a cursory glance. What can I consider for Reaches and Targets?

Figured I should throw mine in the mix whilst I'm here.

Med school rank: Low tier Mid-Atlantic MD
USMLE Step 1: Pass
USMLE Step 2: 260-270
Class rank: Top Quartile (highest they showcase)
Honors: All Honors, including Sub-I
Research:
  • 2 peer-reviewed published abstracts + poster presentations in a >10 impact journal / both presented (not by me) at the biggest conference worldwide in this field
  • 3 other posters
  • Manuscript recently submitted, undergoing review, and probably not published prior to ERAS
  • Case Report about to be submitted, probably not published prior to ERAS
ECs: Don't want to dox myself but have some very unique, long-term, impactful ECs as well as jobs
LORs: Currently 2 + a department letter, hoping to gain another from a reach goal away

Looking at 'top-tier' IM programs in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic

My research seems to be a weak point for these types of schools from a cursory glance. What can I consider for Reaches and Targets?
Unlike that other OP, you don't have a single red flag. Your biggest knock is that you didn't attend HMS :) This is a pretty stellar profile. All the big boy programs are on the table. Hopkins/Brigham/MGH are probably still considered "reaches" just because its a crap shoot with those places but would be surprised if you didnt get at least one interview from those 3. Places like Maryland/Georgetown/Temple are safeties for you. Good luck

• Love
Med School: Mid-tier, northeast, MD- (rural program)
M1-M2 grades: Not ranked, all P/F
M3-4 grades: Honors (IM and FM, and Medicine AI), High pass w/ clinical honors (OB, surgery, psych, peds),
Step 1: P
Step 2: 257
Class rank: (unsure but based primarily on third-year grades so I assume average or just below average??)
AOA: No
GHHS: Not applicable

Research:
-5 publications total: Four 2nd-4th author publications technically in a surgical specialty I briefly considered but my projects focused on substance use/socioeconomic stuff that I can tie into IM + 1 basic science paper from undergrad
- 1 book (academic non-fiction book but not a peer-reviewed textbook)...side note- what category does this go in?
-2 abstracts
- 3 posters
-2 additional projects in the works.

Extracurriculars: Volunteering at a shelter, mentoring, teaching, No leadership

LORs (all anticipated to be strong):
- M4 IM Sub-I preceptor x 2
- M4 heme onc preceptor x 1
- IM Chair letter

Geographic Signaling: Northeast (hometown and close family ties),

Red flags: None

Goals:
- Interested in heme onc or doing IM primary care..(more likely heme onc because absolutely loved my last 2 months in it but still not 100% sure)
- because of fellowship interest, looking at academic places that have matched in heme onc before (I've screened the programs below)

Programs:
Targets: Albany, UMass- Worcester & Baystate, Tufts, UConn, UPMC, RWJ, BU, Temple, Thomas Jefferson, Albert Einstein, Icahn

Reaches: Dartmouth, BI, BWH, MGH, Yale, Brown, UPenn, NYU, Mount Sinai, Columbia, UCSF, Stanford

-Are these targets/reaches reasonable or too top-heavy?? I was told my third years grades aren't stellar so that will affect my ranking.
I also met with our "temp" career advisor and they had literally no advice to give about school lists or anything. I would ideally like to stay in the NE or maybe cali because other family nearby (but only threw in a few reach programs there)..
-Any other programs to add?
I grew up in a rural area and hope to practice in a rural/community setting, however, I want to train at a high-volume academic institution to get as much exposure as possible. I can talk about this in my PS too..

Last edited:
Med School: Mid-tier, northeast, MD- (rural program)
M1-M2 grades: Not ranked, all P/F
M3-4 grades: Honors (IM and FM, and Medicine AI), High pass w/ clinical honors (OB, surgery, psych, peds),
Class rank: (unsure but based primarily on third-year grades so I assume average or just below average??)
GHHS: Not applicable

Research:
-5 publications total: Four 2nd-4th author publications technically in a surgical specialty I briefly considered but my projects focused on substance use/socioeconomic stuff that I can tie into IM + 1 basic science paper from undergrad
- 1 book (academic non-fiction book but not a peer-reviewed textbook)...side note- what category does this go in?
-2 abstracts
- 3 posters
-2 additional projects in the works.

Extracurriculars: Volunteering at a shelter, mentoring, teaching, No leadership

- M4 IM Sub-I preceptor x 2
- M4 heme onc preceptor x 1
- IM Chair letter

Geographic Signaling: Northeast (hometown and close family ties),

Goals:
- Interested in heme onc or doing IM primary care..(more likely heme onc because absolutely loved my last 2 months in it but still not 100% sure)
- because of fellowship interest, looking at academic places that have matched in heme onc before (I've screened the programs below)

Programs:
Targets: Albany, UMass- Worcester & Baystate, Tufts, UConn, UPMC, RWJ, BU, Temple, Thomas Jefferson, Albert Einstein, Icahn

Reaches: Dartmouth, BI, BWH, MGH, Yale, Brown, UPenn, NYU, Mount Sinai, Columbia, UCSF, Stanford

-Are these targets/reaches reasonable or too top-heavy?? I was told my third years grades aren't stellar so that will affect my ranking.
I also met with our "temp" career advisor and they had literally no advice to give about school lists or anything. I would ideally like to stay in the NE or maybe cali because other family nearby (but only threw in a few reach programs there)..
-Any other programs to add?
I grew up in a rural area and hope to practice in a rural/community setting, however, I want to train at a high-volume academic institution to get as much exposure as possible. I can talk about this in my PS too..
Your tiers are kinda all over the place but thats okay-i would make some changes to the programs you mentioned:

Targets: Brown Dartmouth Tufts BU Jeff

Targets/(soft) Reach-Yale BIDMC NYU Sinai

Reaches: Columbia UCSF MGH BWH Stanford UPenn

Overall strong app you have some good research great Step score and solid clinical grades. things holding you back from your reaches are med school tier and lack of AOA

Your tiers are kinda all over the place but thats okay-i would make some changes to the programs you mentioned:

Targets: Brown Dartmouth Tufts BU Jeff

Targets/(soft) Reach-Yale BIDMC NYU Sinai

Reaches: Columbia UCSF MGH BWH Stanford UPenn

Overall strong app you have some good research great Step score and solid clinical grades. things holding you back from your reaches are med school tier and lack of AOA
That's super helpful- thanks so much for clarifying!!

That's super helpful- thanks so much for clarifying!!
Seems like you have zero geo preference? id Add: UVA, UNC, Temple, RWJ, Wake Forest, Cleveland Clinic Main, UWisconsin, UMinnesota, UColorado, UCSD, UCLA, UMiami (you better speak spanish fluently though for Umiami), UMaryland, Georgetown, Case, Rochester to targets and Cornell, Northwestern, Emory, Mayo and Michigan to soft reaches. Keep in mind CA programs likely look for some sort of ties to the region/state

Last edited:
Seems like you have zero geo preference? id Add: UVA, UNC, Temple, RWJ, Wake Forest, Cleveland Clinic Main, UWisconsin, UMinnesota, UColorado, UCSD, UCLA, UMiami (you better speak spanish fluently though for Umiami), UMaryland, Georgetown, Case, Rochester to targets and Cornell, Northwestern, Emory, Mayo and Michigan to soft reaches. Keep in mind CA programs likely look for some sort of ties to the region/state
My geographic preference is the northeast and so I only listed programs from there for the most part.. (with 1-2 reaches in California). I was born in cali and lived there a while before moving to the northeast.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, just got my Step 2 score back and would appreciate any feedback/advice.

Med School: MD low tier
Step 1: Pass
Step 2: 260
Clerkship grades: 3/6 honors with HP in IM and Surgery; Pass in OBGYN (sigh)
Research: 3 pubs by application submission, 1 first author, 5 abstracts with my name on it with 1 being presented at an international conference (not by me), 4 posters that I have presented with 1 being a regional conference
AOA: Unlikely
ECs: Good variety with student clinic volunteering, tutoring, probably like 5-6 activities I would say with 1-2 being leadership positions
Red Flags: None
Region preference: west coast (Arizona or California) or south-atlantic (NC/VA/DC) + FL
Hometown: SoCal

Current thoughts

Reaches
UCLA
Emory
Vanderbilt
Duke
Mount Sinai Icahn

Targets?
UC Davis
UC Irvine
USC/LAC
Olive View/UCLA
UC San Diego
Cedars Sinai
UC Riverside
UCSF/Fresno
University of Arizona Phoenix
UNC Chapel Hill
Wake Forest
Carolinas Medical Center
VCU
EVMS
UVA
MedStar/Georgetown University
George Washington
Zucker School of Medicine Hofstra
NYU
University of Miami/Jackson Health

Edits: added hometown and current list

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Med School: Mid-tier MD
M1-M2 grades: All honors
M3-4 grades: All honors
Step 1
: P
Step 2: 275
Class rank: Top 10%
GHHS: No

Research:
7 publications accepted, 8 under review.
4 abstracts at high impact conference

Extracurriculars: Strong, global health, med tech, etc.

LORs: Strong

Geographic Signaling
: Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, West Coast

Would appreciate a good school list and any thoughts on my chances at the big 4.Thanks in advance!

Step 1

Research:

Geographic Signaling

Would appreciate a good school list and any thoughts on my chances at the big 4.Thanks in advance!
1. You make the list.
2. No harm in applying. It's just money and ego. And it's all really a crapshoot anyway. You'll get somewhere between 0 and 4 interviews out of it.

Reactions: 1 users
Thinking about applying to IM and want to see what my options would be if I wanted to stick at the east coast (targeting mid Atlantic, new England area mainly but will to go to the program best for training, potential interest in heme/onc).

What programs would be targets and reaches

Current Status: Completed MS3, on a research year, urm

School: T30 US MD

Step 2: 234

Pre-clinical: P/F

Clinical grades: Pass throughout (we only get P, H, F no HP)

Class Ranking: They don't rank us in our letter so I don't have a rank

AOA: Doubt it

Research:
Presently around 17 Publications/Abstracts/Posters:
- One middle author radiology paper
- 1st author review article
- 3 middle authors in various review articles
- 12 poster presentations (public health, basic science some of these are before medical school)

Currently during my research year:
- 2 papers submitted
- 2 abstract accepted

I have various ongoing projects that I'm not counting in my 17 total
- One to two on going that would lead to one or two papers

Awards:
- A handful of innovative and case competition awards
- 2x merit scholarship

EC’s:
- radiology interest group leader
- SNMA board member
- a couple of med ed outreach activities for underrepresented high school students
- tutor
- recently a board member of a nonprofit

LORs:
- looking to get a strong letter from FM
- I can get a strong letter for my radiology research mentor at home institution
- Will get a letter from my research mentor during gap year
- waiting till 4th year to figure out other letters

Tough to give input without a Step 2. I think youll get some academic interviews contingent upon you doing at least avg on Step 2. Places like Carilion Clinic, Medical College of Georgia, GW, NJMS, Univ of South Carolina, EVMS would prob interview you

Step 2: 24x

Have any assessment of my shot at Uni IM given this update?

Med School: Northeast DO school
M1-M2 grades: Graded, Top-Quartile
M3-4 grades: High Pass (EM, Psych, OBGYN), Pass (IM, FM, Surgery)
Step 2: 24x
Class rank: 1st Quartile

Research:
- 1 abstract
- 3 research projects

Extracurriculars: Volunteering in the community, Leadership of non school related extracurricular, homeless shelter, mentoring for younger high school students

- M3 IM Preceptor
- M3 IM Attending
- M4 IM Sub-I Letter

Geographic Signaling: Mid-Atlantic (Hometown and family located here, undergrad attended in mid-atlantic region as well)

Goals:
- Interested in fellowship after completion of IM residency, goal of either cardiology or infectious disease fellowship

Program List:
- Need some help forming program list
- Interested in Mid-Atlantic hospitals --> GW, Georgetown, MedStar Baltimore, Hopkins (Bayview), Innova, WVU, Cristiana Care DE, UMD
- Potential interest in PA and Jersey as well. Unsure about how this will work with signaling and geographic preferences. Will a New Jersey/PA hospital give me the time of day if I put down the Mid-Atlantic region as geographic preference

Step 1

Research:

Geographic Signaling

You may get Big 4 interviews as youre certainly qualified. But like gutonc said its never guaranteed at that level of competition many applicants have AOA and 260+ coming from ranked medical schools

Hello everyone, just got my Step 2 score back and would appreciate any feedback/advice.

Med School: MD low tier
Clerkship grades: 3/6 honors with HP in IM and Surgery; Pass in OBGYN (sigh)
Research: 3 pubs by application submission, 1 first author, 5 abstracts with my name on it with 1 being presented at an international conference (not by me), 4 posters that I have presented with 1 being a regional conference
AOA: Unlikely
ECs: Good variety with student clinic volunteering, tutoring, probably like 5-6 activities I would say with 1-2 being leadership positions
Red Flags: None
Region preference: west coast (Arizona or California) or south-atlantic (NC/VA/DC) + FL
Hometown: SoCal

Current thoughts

Reaches
UCLA
Emory
Vanderbilt
Duke
Mount Sinai Icahn

Targets?
UC Davis
UC Irvine
USC/LAC
Olive View/UCLA
UC San Diego
Cedars Sinai
UC Riverside
UCSF/Fresno
University of Arizona Phoenix
UNC Chapel Hill
Wake Forest
Carolinas Medical Center
VCU
EVMS
UVA
MedStar/Georgetown University
George Washington
Zucker School of Medicine Hofstra
NYU
University of Miami/Jackson Health

Edits: added hometown and current list
Vandy and Duke are reaches and Emory Sinai NYU are soft reaches (very possible you may get interviews at one or 2 of these places). UCLA is a target. Your step score is your highlight you have ok research experience and your grades are solid

Thinking about applying to IM and want to see what my options would be if I wanted to stick at the east coast (targeting mid Atlantic, new England area mainly but will to go to the program best for training, potential interest in heme/onc).

What programs would be targets and reaches

Current Status: Completed MS3, on a research year, urm

School: T30 US MD

Step 2: 234

Clinical grades: Pass throughout (we only get P, H, F no HP)

Class Ranking: They don't rank us in our letter so I don't have a rank

AOA: Doubt it

Research:
Presently around 17 Publications/Abstracts/Posters:
- One middle author radiology paper
- 1st author review article
- 3 middle authors in various review articles
- 12 poster presentations (public health, basic science some of these are before medical school)

Currently during my research year:
- 2 papers submitted
- 2 abstract accepted

I have various ongoing projects that I'm not counting in my 17 total
- One to two on going that would lead to one or two papers

Awards:
- A handful of innovative and case competition awards
- 2x merit scholarship

EC’s:
- radiology interest group leader
- SNMA board member
- a couple of med ed outreach activities for underrepresented high school students
- tutor
- recently a board member of a nonprofit

LORs:
- looking to get a strong letter from FM
- I can get a strong letter for my radiology research mentor at home institution
- Will get a letter from my research mentor during gap year
- waiting till 4th year to figure out other letters

Would consider pretty much consider all the geographically applicable programs in the top 25-30 programs reaches for your profile. Targets are places like Boston Univ/Tufts/Brown/University of Maryland/Temple/Georgetown

M1-M2 grades: P/F
M3-4 grades: 4/7 Honors (IM, Psych, Neuro, Obgyn) 3 High Pass (Peds, Fam Med, Surg)
Step 2: 263
Class rank: Not recorded

Research:
2 papers, 1 abstract
maybe 1-2 more abstract submissions before deadline

Extracurriculars:
-Some Leadership, with a lot of involvement in the student clinic
-Part-time job till M3
-Mentor, OL

LORs:
-
will be 3 M4 IM letters, plus Chair's Letter

Geographic Signaling
: Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, South Atlantic

Basically, I would really like to stay in the tristate area (NY, NJ, PA), but also want a strong program that sets me up for Heme-Onc (preferably with fellowship), so would love any program suggestions that fit that. I know my research is soft for the top programs but I got pleasantly surprised with my step score

Reaches:
-UPenn
-Columbia
-Cornell
-Sinai?
-Yale?

Targets:
-Jeff
-Georgetown
-NYU?
-UVA
-UMD
-Brown
-Tufts
-RWJ
-NJMS
-Temple

Vandy and Duke are reaches and Emory Sinai NYU are soft reaches (very possible you may get interviews at one or 2 of these places). UCLA is a target. Your step score is your highlight you have ok research experience and your grades are solid
I appreciate the advice, thank you. Are there any academic programs that I should consider adding to my current list, based on my region preferences (CA, NC, VA, FL, also wouldn't mind NJ/NY)?

M1-M2 grades: P/F
M3-4 grades: 4/7 Honors (IM, Psych, Neuro, Obgyn) 3 High Pass (Peds, Fam Med, Surg)
Step 2: 263
Class rank: Not recorded

Research:
2 papers, 1 abstract
maybe 1-2 more abstract submissions before deadline

Extracurriculars:
-Some Leadership, with a lot of involvement in the student clinic
-Part-time job till M3
-Mentor, OL

LORs:
-
will be 3 M4 IM letters, plus Chair's Letter

Geographic Signaling: Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, South Atlantic

Basically, I would really like to stay in the tristate area (NY, NJ, PA), but also want a strong program that sets me up for Heme-Onc (preferably with fellowship), so would love any program suggestions that fit that. I know my research is soft for the top programs but I got pleasantly surprised with my step score

Reaches:
-UPenn
-Columbia
-Cornell
-Sinai?
-Yale?

Targets:
-Jeff
-Georgetown
-NYU?
-UVA
-UMD
-Brown
-Tufts
-RWJ
-NJMS
-Temple
NYU is a reach. Would add Monte to targets and move down RWJ NJMS and temple to safety

Could consider adding Dartmouth, Hopkins bayview northwell and stony brook

I appreciate the advice, thank you. Are there any academic programs that I should consider adding to my current list, based on my region preferences (CA, NC, VA, FL, also wouldn't mind NJ/NY)?
As far a nj ny would add stony brook Rutgers rwj and Einstein/Monte. This would all be in the either target or safety zone (northwell stony brook +/- rwj would be safety, Monte target and I think on your original list nyu should be moved up to reach)

Med School: T25 (midwest)
Step 2: 265
Clerkship grades: 6/7 honors, 1 high pass, >90th% on most shelves with 99th for IM (not sure if this is reported though)
Class rank: no ranking
Research: 3 published manuscripts (1 first author), 1 submitted manuscript, 6 poster presentations (all mostly first author), 2 oral presentations (1 first author) at international conference, and an anticipated case report submitted before ERAS released
AOA: No longer offered at my school
Gold Humanism: Not offered
LORS: was told they would be strong - 1 from IM clerkship director, 1 from IM AI director, 1 from IM department chair, 1 from research PI in oncology.
ECs: Lots of research, 2 leadership positions in medical school, 2 teaching positions, EMT volunteer experience and multiple other volunteer experiences
Red flags: No
Career goals: most likely fellowship in oncology

What are my chances for applying to the T30 IM programs? Planning on couples matching into IM with someone who goes to a lower tier east coast MD school, 264 on Step 2, all honors, lots of research, and strong letters.

Last edited:
Clerkship grades: 6/7 honors, 1 high pass, >90th% on most shelves with 99th for IM (not sure if this is reported though)
Research: 3 published manuscripts (1 first author), 1 submitted manuscript, 6 poster presentations (all mostly first author), 2 oral presentations (1 first author) at international conference, and an anticipated case report submitted before ERAS released
LORS: was told they would be strong - 1 from IM clerkship director, 1 from IM AI director, 1 from IM department chair, 1 from research PI in oncology.
ECs: Lots of research, 2 leadership positions in medical school, 2 teaching positions, EMT volunteer experience and multiple other volunteer experiences

What are my chances for applying to the T30 IM programs? Planning on couples matching into IM with someone who goes to a lower tier east coast MD school, 264 on Step 2, all honors, lots of research, and strong letters.
You guys look to be in very strong shape for the top tier but do make sure to have a broad list. Good luck !! (went through couples match also so understand the added stress)

You guys look to be in very strong shape for the top tier but do make sure to have a broad list. Good luck !! (went through couples match also so understand the added stress)
Thank you! Any advice for couples matching other than applying broadly (which we definitely will)? It definitely is a lot of added stress

Youre both good for T20. Apply broadly since couples matching

Thank you! Any advice for couples matching other than applying broadly (which we definitely will)? It definitely is a lot of added stress

During your interviews, I would just let the interviewers know that you are couples matching in IM especially to places that you both are ranking higher on the list. The only other thing is thinking about what you place more priority on, being together at specific program/city vs sacrificing reputation/prestige. Hopefully, it won't be an issue for you guys since you are strong applicants on paper. It was an issue for us because my partner was quite weaker candidate. So basically, would ranking program A (top tier) for me/program B (lower tier) for her be higher on our list than us vs both matching into program C (mid tier) . That basically led to us having a ridiculously long match list since there are all these different iterations.

Thank you! Since signaling is offered now, any recommendations for where we should signal?

Regardless of geographic preference, make sure you go for cities with multiple programs

Hey everyone! Will be applying IM this cycle and feeling a little iffy about my program list. Any feedback / bringing-down-to-earth would be greatly appreciated :)

Med School: Low-to-Mid Tier (East Coast)
Clerkship grades: All honors (6/6), currently doing IM sub-I
Class rank: Top Quartile
Research: 1 published case report from undergrad, 2 abstracts, 1 poster presentation at national conference
AOA: Not released yet, but probably yes!
Gold Humanism: No
LORs: Should be strong - 1 from IM 3rd year attending (assistant PD), 1 from IM AI attending, 1 from IM department chair
ECs: 2 leadership positions, 2 additional unique academic projects, 3-4 volunteering experiences, scribed during a gap year before med school
My application is definitely light on ECs and Research, but I’m hoping AOA helps me out a little here.

As of now, my list of programs is:

Reach: MGH, JHH, Columbia, UPenn, Michigan, WashU, Vandy, NW, UCLA, BIDMC, Chicago, Yale
Target: Cornell, NYU, Sinai, UPMC, UNC, Baylor, UCSD, USC, tOSU, BU, UVA, Brown, Monte, Jeff, UTH
Safety: Indiana, Tufts, JHU-Bayview, Georgetown, Wake Forest, MUSC, UMD, Northwell, Rutgers-RWJ, Temple, UMass

Does this look reasonable? What programs would be good to add/remove from the list above?

Thanks in advance for all the help!!

Hey everyone! Will be applying IM this cycle and feeling a little iffy about my program list. Any feedback / bringing-down-to-earth would be greatly appreciated :)

Med School: Low-to-Mid Tier (East Coast)
Clerkship grades: All honors (6/6), currently doing IM sub-I
Research: 1 published case report from undergrad, 2 abstracts, 1 poster presentation at national conference
AOA: Not released yet, but probably yes!
Gold Humanism: No
LORs: Should be strong - 1 from IM 3rd year attending (assistant PD), 1 from IM AI attending, 1 from IM department chair
ECs: 2 leadership positions, 2 additional unique academic projects, 3-4 volunteering experiences, scribed during a gap year before med school
My application is definitely light on ECs and Research, but I’m hoping AOA helps me out a little here.

As of now, my list of programs is:

Reach: MGH, JHH, Columbia, UPenn, Michigan, WashU, Vandy, NW, UCLA, BIDMC, Chicago, Yale
Target: Cornell, NYU, Sinai, UPMC, UNC, Baylor, UCSD, USC, tOSU, BU, UVA, Brown, Monte, Jeff, UTH
Safety: Indiana, Tufts, JHU-Bayview, Georgetown, Wake Forest, MUSC, UMD, Northwell, Rutgers-RWJ, Temple, UMass

Does this look reasonable? What programs would be good to add/remove from the list above?

Thanks in advance for all the help!!
I think the lack of research will hurt a little at the reaches but i think you still have a shot at any of these programs with 265 and AOA. AOA goes a long way at the top. Regardless if u get AOA i think youll still have a strong shot for interviews at Yale NW WashU BI UCLA (if u have CA ties)

I think the lack of research will hurt a little at the reaches but i think you still have a shot at any of these programs with 265 and AOA. AOA goes a long way at the top. Regardless if u get AOA i think youll still have a strong shot for interviews at Yale NW WashU BI UCLA (if u have CA ties)
Thank you! Really appreciate the reassurance haha

School: Mid tier US MD
Pre-clinical
: P/F (in top 25%, which noted on MSPE, whatever lol)
Clinical grades: all honors, good evals, high shelf scores
Class Ranking: 1st quintile
AOA: TBD, likely
GHH: TBD
Research:
1 rads paper, 1 NIH biochem paper
1 rads abstract; 4 other abstracts in which I’m mid-author in various fields
Like 6 poster presentations over the years, all local nonconference.

ECs:
Had rather unique experience of my father having a stroke right before step 1, and me becoming his primary caregiver in the nursing home
Lots of stuff around teaching and mentorship: creating study materials for underclassmen, mentoring new students, etc
3 years EMS, few student groups, student clinic. Also volunteer at the nursing home as a CNA.

LORs:
1 ID, 2 IM, 1 radiology research one

Random:
Engineering undergrad
URM

School list:
Top 3: UVA, GW, Georgetown (Region preference of DMV area)
Reaches: JHH, MGH, UPenn, Duke, WashU, Vanderbilt, UChicago, Yale, Emory, Michigan
Targets: UNC, UVA, Georgetown, UPMC, Jeff, BU, Tufts, Brown, Bayview
Safety: Wake Forest, GW, UMass, VCU, UConn, UMD

Basically I know I have not a lot of research, but how competitive is my application The list above is a running list, are there any big ones I'm missing if I'm aiming for middle east coast?
It is a competitive profile. If you're already applying to the Boston programs and aiming for the ivory towers, would throw in Brigham and Beth Israel

It's a bit early for me (I'll only be applying next year), but my clinical grades are a lot worse than I was hoping for, and I want to know if any amount of Step 2, research, etc. will make me competitive for my reach schools, or if it's a lost cause at this point.

School: Top 25 US MD
Step 1: not yet taken
Step 2: not yet taken
Clinical grades: (distribution is 40% honors, 20% high pass, 20% pass)
OB: pass
Peds: pass
Surgery: high pass
Neuro: honors
Family med: high pass
Psych: not yet assigned
IM: not yet assigned
Class Ranking: probably 4th quartile, maybe 3rd if I'm lucky
AOA: no
GHH: no
Research:
No papers yet, but close to publishing in an unrelated surgical field

ECs:
Med ed stuff (coordinated an elective), interviewer for admissions committee, mentoring high school students

LORs:
have not yet asked

Random:
Non-trad
ORM

School list:
Reaches: UCSF, Stanford
Targets: UC Davis, Kaiser Permanente
Safety: nothing seems safe in the region I'm aiming for (Nor Cal)

Basically, given my grades, do I have a chance at my reaches if I crush step 2 and get some good LORs?
You need to do well on Step 2, honor your IM rotation, and do early subI with honors with a good LOR to go along with it before I would even consider you a remotely viable applicant to UCSF/Stanford.

You need to do well on Step 2, honor your IM rotation, and do early subI with honors with a good LOR to go along with it before I would even consider you a remotely viable applicant to UCSF/Stanford.
Thanks. But even if I somehow do that, my chances are still low, right?
Is there something unique (e.g. collaborate on a research project with faculty at these schools) that I can do to turn things around?

Thanks. But even if I somehow do that, my chances are still low, right?
Is there something unique (e.g. collaborate on a research project with faculty at these schools) that I can do to turn things around?

They would still be considered solidly reach programs for you with those hypotheticals but again you are talking about 2 of the premier training programs in the country that happen to be in very coveted locations so they are going to be reaches for a lot of applicants. One thing to consider is doing an away rotation at either place (if that is an option) and knocking a grand slam with good LOR. Unless you have some contacts/leads at these places to get immediately plugged in and start running with a research project, I don't think thats going to be a fruitful endeavor. Otherwise, just focus on what needs to be done and apply and see what happens. The worst thing that can happen is you don't get an interview and you just move on. I'm also assuming that you going to apply to more than 4 programs. Good luck

Last edited:
Do you mean a general IM away rotation, or a subspecialty?
And here's the rub. A subspecialty away rotation is often a throwaway since the connection to the residency program may be modest to nonexistent and at best, you have to reach out on your own to try to get a meeting with the IM PD.

Most places like UCSF and Stanford (and lots of other upper and mid-tier programs) won't take outside rotators for general IM/Sub-I rotations.

Reactions: 2 users
School: Mid tier US MD (a Univ. of California school)
Pre-clinical: P/F first year; 3/5 honors in 2nd year (top 20%)
Clinical grades: 6/7 honors (everything except peds) with great evals
Class Ranking: TBD, likely top 10-30%
AOA: TBD, likely to get though as historically 5+ clinical honors gets AOA at our school so I am going to assume yes.
GHH: No
Research:
4 publications (all primary research articles in cardiology and nephrology) two of which I am first author.
8 abstracts/presentations including one oral presentation at major cardiology conference.
NIH grant
Excellence in Research scholarship at school

ECs:
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion committee member on California chapter of American College of Cardiology. President/Founder of Cardiology Interest Group. Basketball podcast in undergrad. 2-3 other cookie cutter ECs

LORs:
1-2 Cardiology, rest a combination of ICU and maybe sub-i

Random:
low SES with various awards and scholarships

School list:
Need help with this. My ultimate goal is a combination of prestige + California or East Coast. Can you please help create a list for me as I am unsure if I am competitive for top programs and need a variety of reaches + safeties. Ty!
Especially if you get AOA, no program would be out of reach so include all the big names. UCSF, Stanford, UCLA, UCSD and whichever east coast programs you'd like (BWH, MGH, BIDMC, Penn, Columbia, JHU, Cornell, etc.). For safeties, just pick a handful of mid-tier programs in your ideal location and you should be fine.

School: Mid tier US MD (a Univ. of California school)
Pre-clinical: P/F first year; 3/5 honors in 2nd year (top 20%)
Clinical grades: 6/7 honors (everything except peds) with great evals
Class Ranking: TBD, likely top 10-30%
AOA: TBD, likely to get though as historically 5+ clinical honors gets AOA at our school so I am going to assume yes.
GHH: No
Research:
4 publications (all primary research articles in cardiology and nephrology) two of which I am first author.
8 abstracts/presentations including one oral presentation at major cardiology conference.
NIH grant
Excellence in Research scholarship at school

ECs:
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion committee member on California chapter of American College of Cardiology. President/Founder of Cardiology Interest Group. Basketball podcast in undergrad. 2-3 other cookie cutter ECs

LORs:
1-2 Cardiology, rest a combination of ICU and maybe sub-i

Random:
low SES with various awards and scholarships

School list:
Need help with this. My ultimate goal is a combination of prestige + California or East Coast. Can you please help create a list for me as I am unsure if I am competitive for top programs and need a variety of reaches + safeties. Ty!
UCSF/Stanford are your reaches even though you should be a viable applicant, UCLA/USC/UCSD are targets, UC Davis/Irvine/Cedars Sinai/Loma Linda/the other community UCLA programs are safeties

And here's the rub. A subspecialty away rotation is often a throwaway since the connection to the residency program may be modest to nonexistent and at best, you have to reach out on your own to try to get a meeting with the IM PD.

Most places like UCSF and Stanford (and lots of other upper and mid-tier programs) won't take outside rotators for general IM/Sub-I rotations.

Yeah, subspecialty electives are more to get to know an institution you may want to work at rather than get your foot in the door. But I've heard success where attendings knew the IM PD and reached out / their letters may hold more value since the faculty has most likely interacted with the IM PD at some point.

Hello! Appreciate any feedback/setting expectations, especially given my step score.

Med School: Low-tier MD school in Northeast
M1-M2 grades: Pass
M3-4 grades: 1 Honors, 4 HP (both Medicine and Surgery), 1 P in Peds, Honors Medicine Sub I, Honors EM
Class rank: Middle third
Step 2: 242

Research: 3 publications (1 first author) and 1 pub awaiting decision; 6 posters
Extracurriculars: Decent, leadership in school, volunteered
LORs (think will be good):
- M4 IM Sub-I site director
- M3 Outpatient IM
- IM Chair letter
- Research mentor -> also will work with her in hospital
Geographic Signaling: Northeast (fundamentally agnostic about location given Step score). Hometown in mid-atlantic.

Goals:
- Academic IM with option for fellowship

Delusional: Yale, Johns Hopkins
Reaches: Jefferson, BU, Brown, Montefiore, UVa, Case Western, UPMC
Targets: UMaryland, JHU Bayview, Inova Fairfax, Georgetown - University Hospital, George Washington, Temple, UConn, UMass, Kaiser Mid-Atlantic, VCU, Wake, Tufts
Safeties: Georgetown-WHC, community programs?, Rutgers?, Christiana Care - Jeff

Am of course concerned about the Step score, so let me know if I'm crazy or not please. Mostly picked programs that are largely USMD, mainly in the hopes that folks won't be actively mean to me.

How is this:

1. Massachusetts General Hospital
  2. Johns Hopkins University
  3. University of California, San Francisco
  4. Brigham and Women’s
  5. Duke
  6. Mayo Clinic (Rochester)
  7. University of Michigan
  8. University of Pennsylvania
  9. University of Texas Southwestern
  10. New York Presbyterian (Columbia)
  11. Washington University St. Louis
  12. UCLA
  13. University of Washington
  14. Vanderbilt University
  15. NYU
  16. McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University
  17. Stanford University
  18. Icahn School of Medicine Mount Sinai
  19. Emory University
  20. Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
  21. Cleveland Clinic
  22. University of Chicago
  23. Yale-New Haven Medical Center
  24. UPMC
  25. Baylor
  26. USC
  27. New York Presbyterian (Cornell)
  28. University of Colorado
  29. UCSD
  30. Boston University
  31. Sidney Kimmel Medical College
  32. OHSU
  33. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
  34. UCLA Harbor
  35. Georgetown/MedStar Health
  36. Montefiore Medical Center
  37. University of California, Davis
  38. Olive View UCLA
  39. University of California, Irvine
  40. Scripps Clinic
  41. Loma Linda University
  42. Kaiser Permanente (Los Angeles)
  43. Kaiser Permanente (San Francisco)
Looks fine to me. You'll get more interviews than you'll have the bandwidth for so need to be selective about which ones you'd actually want to go to.

Hello! Appreciate any feedback/setting expectations, especially given my step score.

M3-4 grades: 1 Honors, 4 HP (both Medicine and Surgery), 1 P in Peds, Honors Medicine Sub I, Honors EM

Research: 3 publications (1 first author) and 1 pub awaiting decision; 6 posters
- M3 Outpatient IM
- IM Chair letter
Geographic Signaling: Northeast (fundamentally agnostic about location given Step score). Hometown in mid-atlantic.

Goals:

Targets: UMaryland, JHU Bayview, Inova Fairfax, Georgetown - University Hospital, George Washington, Temple, UConn, UMass, Kaiser Mid-Atlantic, VCU, Wake, Tufts

Am of course concerned about the Step score, so let me know if I'm crazy or not please. Mostly picked programs that are largely USMD, mainly in the hopes that folks won't be actively mean to me.
I think you are realistic about your outlook regarding target programs (low-mid tier academic). You could probably add a few more low tier academic/community programs to be safe (i.e. places like Cooper, Northwell etc.)

- M3 Outpatient IM
- IM Chair letter

Goals:

I would throw in UNC if you're applying to places like UPMC/UVA

Med School: Mid-tier school in midwest
M3-4 grades: 3 Honors in IM, neuro, psych; 3 high pass in FM, Peds, Surgery; 1 pass in Ob-gyn
Class rank: Middle of the pack
Step 1: 225-230
Step 2: 240-245

Research: 7 publications (4 first author and 3 second author), 12 posters, 5-6 abstract
Extracurriculars: Lead a large free clinic in first two years, reviewer for school’s research publication site, mentorship, some unique EC’s outside of medicine
  • Also worked a job on weekends for the first 2 years of medical school as it had good pay and wasn't too intensive. Not sure if I should mention this on apps, as I don't want schools to think I wasn’t all in on medical school.
LORs:
- M3 subspecialty physician
- M4 subspecialty physician
- M4 Sub-I hospitalist
- IM Chair letter

Geographic Signaling: Going hard for midwest but applying to some programs outside the region
Goals: Most interested in a couple IM subspecialties

Delusional: Northwestern, Mayo Rochester, UPenn
Reach: Michigan, Ohio State, UChicago, WashU, Cleveland Clinic, UPMC, UNC
Target: Cincinnati, Indiana, Case Western, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Rush, Loyola, GW, MCW, UAB, Mayo Jacksonville, Miami
Safeties: Not sure?

Appreciate any feedback! Most worried about my low steps.
Thanks!

Med School: Mid-tier school in midwest
M3-4 grades: 3 Honors in IM, neuro, psych; 3 high pass in FM, Peds, Surgery; 1 pass in Ob-gyn
Class rank: Middle of the pack
Step 1: 225-230
Step 2: 240-245

Research: 7 publications (4 first author and 3 second author), 12 posters, 5-6 abstract
Extracurriculars: Lead a large free clinic in first two years, reviewer for school’s research publication site, mentorship, some unique EC’s outside of medicine
  • Also worked a job on weekends for the first 2 years of medical school as it had good pay and wasn't too intensive. Not sure if I should mention this on apps, as I don't want schools to think I wasn’t all in on medical school.
LORs:
- M3 subspecialty physician
- M4 subspecialty physician
- M4 Sub-I hospitalist
- IM Chair letter

Geographic Signaling: Going hard for midwest but applying to some programs outside the region
Goals: Most interested in a couple IM subspecialties

Delusional: Northwestern, Mayo Rochester, UPenn
Reach: Michigan, Ohio State, UChicago, WashU, Cleveland Clinic, UPMC, UNC
Target: Cincinnati, Indiana, Case Western, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Rush, Loyola, GW, MCW, UAB, Mayo Jacksonville, Miami
Safeties: Not sure?

Appreciate any feedback! Most worried about my low steps.
Thanks!
You have a solid application outside of average scores. I think your assessment of reach/target is reasonable. It's possible you get bites from top midwest programs due to geographic location/preference and extensive research/extracurriculars but no guarantees. You should get enough interviews from targets that you don't need many safeties (community programs).

Med School: Low-tier Mid-Atlantic MD School
M1-M2 grades: Top 10%
Step 2: ~270

Research:
I worked at a well-respected top institution during my M1 summer, it was technically a paid job rather than a research experience, but I got 2 posters + 2 abstracts out of it after volunteering additional time as an M2 & M3, unfortunately though given the nature of the work I wont see my name on a manuscript until ~2024.
  • 1 Local Poster prior to med school
  • 1 Regional Poster (Not presenter)
  • 1 National Poster, small conference (Presenter)
  • 2 National conference posters (huge conference in this field, not presenter) + 2 published abstracts
  • 1 accepted abstract with submitted manuscript for a review paper

Extracurriculars: Lots of leadership, teaching, and service. Interesting hobbies. I'd consider my ECs to be strong, stronger than most mainly because I had the time, and energy, and just frankly enjoyed doing what I did. I also do have unique work experiences prior to med school, some of which carried over during my preclinical years.

LORs:
  • M3 IM Rotation Clerkship Director
  • M4 IM Sub-I Clerkship Director
  • School IM Chair Letter
  • Subspecialty IM Letter from an Away (Top IM program if that matters)
  • Potential MICU Rotation letter (my next block in September, depends on timing)
Geographic Signaling: Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, East North Central [Flexible on this]

I'm couples matching so I'm looking for a good list of programs that both fit what I can reach, as well as being centrally located around urban centers to increase our chances of matching at least nearby. The main cities I'm looking at are NYC and Philadelphia, but would feel comfortable with others.

Also – how much is my lack of strong research going to impact some of the top programs? I have a spattering of posters, and 2 submitted abstracts which I imagine don’t hold much weight. Nothing 1st author, no manuscripts.

I'd appreciate any tips, thank you!
Essentially being at the top of your class, you will be well-positioned wherever you choose to apply without crazy research productivity. You should put all the big names on the list (Cornell, Mt. Sinai, NYU, Columbia, Penn, BWH, MGH, BIDMC, Hopkins etc.) and then add a few mid-tier programs in the cities that you would feel comfortable with.

Med School: Low-tier Mid-Atlantic MD School
M1-M2 grades: Top 10%
Step 2: ~270

Research:
I worked at a well-respected top institution during my M1 summer, it was technically a paid job rather than a research experience, but I got 2 posters + 2 abstracts out of it after volunteering additional time as an M2 & M3, unfortunately though given the nature of the work I wont see my name on a manuscript until ~2024.
  • 1 Local Poster prior to med school
  • 1 Regional Poster (Not presenter)
  • 1 National Poster, small conference (Presenter)
  • 2 National conference posters (huge conference in this field, not presenter) + 2 published abstracts
  • 1 accepted abstract with submitted manuscript for a review paper

Extracurriculars: Lots of leadership, teaching, and service. Interesting hobbies. I'd consider my ECs to be strong, stronger than most mainly because I had the time, and energy, and just frankly enjoyed doing what I did. I also do have unique work experiences prior to med school, some of which carried over during my preclinical years.

LORs:
  • M3 IM Rotation Clerkship Director
  • M4 IM Sub-I Clerkship Director
  • School IM Chair Letter
  • Subspecialty IM Letter from an Away (Top IM program if that matters)
  • Potential MICU Rotation letter (my next block in September, depends on timing)
Geographic Signaling: Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, East North Central [Flexible on this]

I'm couples matching so I'm looking for a good list of programs that both fit what I can reach, as well as being centrally located around urban centers to increase our chances of matching at least nearby. The main cities I'm looking at are NYC and Philadelphia, but would feel comfortable with others.

Also – how much is my lack of strong research going to impact some of the top programs? I have a spattering of posters, and 2 submitted abstracts which I imagine don’t hold much weight. Nothing 1st author, no manuscripts.

I'd appreciate any tips, thank you!
Add on Montefiore, Temple/Jefferson, Tufts/Boston Univ in your mid-tier range for the respective metro areas that you're targeting in addition to what the other poster added. I guess I failed US geography because I have no idea what East North Central is

• Haha