**Official 2024 Ortho PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just a random question here. I’m in doubt about two programs that I interviewed. Both of them have 5 positions. Let’s say I rank program A first on my list, and I do not get ranked by them, but I rank program B second on my list and they rank me in there top 5, will I match to program B? If 5 candidates rank program B as there first choice, but I’m one of there top 5, is there a chance that I do not match even though they were my second choice? Don’t know if I was able to be clear or not.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you rank programs you declined interviews at? Lol I still feel bad that scheduling didn't work out, but I’m glad someone else got the chance to visit.

Just a random question here. I’m in doubt about two programs that I interviewed. Both of them have 5 positions. Let’s say I rank program A first on my list, and I do not get ranked by them, but I rank program B second on my list and they rank me in there top 5, will I match to program B? If 5 candidates rank program B as there first choice, but I’m one of there top 5, is there a chance that I do not match even though they were my second choice? Don’t know if I was able to be clear or not.
In your scenario, you would match at program B. In short, always rank programs in order of your preference

This video helped me understand the Matching Algorithm:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So do these programs only rank 5 candidates each..? or do they rank more than 5 candidates knowing that some wont rank them?
Like how does it work from the program's point of view? But what if they rank 10 candidates, and 10 candidates all rank them highly? They only have 5 seats

So do these programs only rank 5 candidates each..? or do they rank more than 5 candidates knowing that some wont rank them?
Like how does it work from the program's point of view? But what if they rank 10 candidates, and 10 candidates all rank them highly? They only have 5 seat

In your scenario, the first 5 students who have been ranked by the program will get matched. The program will also rank the students, usually ranking three times more than their spots. In your scenario, for example, 15 people, but it depends on program directors as well.

Hi, I hope you're all well.
* If anyone knows which non match programs have already sent their invitations would you please announce it here. Appreciate it

Anyone else in the only one interview club and now just hoping for the best?

they sent, know a person who is doing it soon
Hello, if possible, would you please find out the date USC sent out interview offers and interview dates? And interview format?

Just trying to complete the list for everyone

Thank you

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone submitted their rankings yet? Just wondering how long it takes for your list to get certified

Members don't see this ad :)
How many people do each program usually interview?
Depends on the size of the program. Had one school send a rejection email saying that they interviewed around 25 and had over 300 applicants. That was for 6 spots. I’d say anywhere from 20-50 depending on program size (except some of the expensive ones like Jacksonville and Georgia must interview a lot more)

Probably a dumb question, but how do you send INBDE scores to schools? PASS won't let me and the actual ADA portal wants emails?
Is this to complete your pass application or some step that requires to be done after you have interviewed with that school? Please clarify

1. 8/22 (email) Seton Hill, interview 9/21 and 9/22 in-person
2. 8/24 (email) Iowa, interview 9/22 in-person
3. 8/24 (email) Oklahoma, interview 10/13 or 10/20 with social the night before
4. 8/25 (email) Illinois, interview 10/11 , 10/12, and 10/13, in person
5. 8/28 (email) Colorado, interview 9/28, 9/29, and 10/2 in person
6. 8/30 (email) Indiana, interview 10/12, 10/13 in person
7. 9/5 (email) University of Texas at Houston, 10/19, 10/20 (with mandatory social night before) in-person
8. 9/7 (email) University of Florida, 10/9 or 10/10 (in person), social night before
9. 9/7 (email) LSU, 10/19 or 10/20 in person with social on 10/19 evening
10. 9/8 (email) Tufts, 9/26, 9/27, 9/28 with a social (details to follow)
11. 9/8 (phone call) University of Michigan, October 9th or 16th with a social the day before
12. 9/8 (email) University of Tennessee 10/13 or 10/16 (in person) with social the night before
13. 9/9 (email) University of Washington, Oct 9th with a social the night before
14. 9/12 (email) Ohio State University, 10/9 or 10/10
15. 9/12 (email) OHSU, 10/20 or 10/23 social night before
16. 9/12 (call) Texas A&M 10/17, 10/18 or 10/19 in-person
17. 9/12 (email) Boston University, 10/30 with a social the day before; interview on 11/1 with social on Oct 31st
18. 9/12 (email) Texas San Antonio 10/3 and 10/4 in person with social on 10/3
19. 9/12 (email) AT Still, 10/16 or 10/17 interview
20. 9/12 (email) UMKC, 10/16 in person w/ social the night before
21. 9/13 (call and email) Loma Linda, interview 10/09 and 10/10
22. 9/14 (email) University of British Columbia, interview 10/28 online
23. 9/15 (email) University of Buffalo, interview 10/13 and 10/16
24. 9/15 (email) Saint Louis University, interview October 10, 11, 19, 20 with socials the evening before each
25. 9/17 (email) CTOR Academy, Interview: September 29th. & Social 28th, Interview: October 6th, Social on the 5th.
26. 9/18 (email) St Barnabas, 10/11 (in person) with social at night
27. 9/18 (email) Boston University, Interview 11/1 with social 10/31 (Second Round)
28. 9/18 and 9/19 (email) University of Pacific, interview on 10/16 and 10/17 with social the night before
29. 9/19 (email) Columbia, interview 10/16 and 10/17 with social the night before
30. 9/19 (call) UAB interview on 10/12 or 10/13 with social on 10/12
31. 9/19 (call) Bronxcare, interview 10/9 and 10/10 with social the night before
32. 9/19 (email) Penn, 10/11 AM or PM and 10/18 AM or PM with social the night before
33. 9/19 (email) UCSF 10/18 social the night before
34. 9/20 (call/email) Nebraska, 10/24 or 10/25 social the night before each
35: 9/20 (email) Harvard, 11/3 with social night before
36. 9/20 (call) UNC Chapel Hill 10/23 or 10/24 social the night before each
37. 9/21 (email) UCLA 10/16 or 10/17 social 10/16 evening
38. 9/21 (email) Nova 10/23 with social night before
39. 9/21 (email) Minnesota 10/23 with social night before
40. 9/21 (email) MUSC 10/19 or 10/20 with social 10/19 evening
41. 9/21 (call) Dental College of Georgia (Augusta) 10/23 with social??
42. 9/22 (email) University of Louisville, interview 10/19 in-person
43. 9/25 (email) VCU, 10/26 (full-day) and 10/27 (half-day)
44. 9/25 (email) Eastman Dental, Rochester, 3 zoom dates, 9/28 (5:30), 9/28 (6:00), 9/29 (1:30)
45. 9/26 (email) West Virginia 11/6 with social the night before
46. 9/26 (email) Pittsburgh 10/27 or 10/30 with social the night before
47. 9/26 (email) Marquette 10/20 with social night before
48. 9/26 (email) University of Western Ontario 10/16 or 10/18 social TBD
49. 9/27 (email) UNLV 10/23 AM or PM or 10/24 AM or PM with social 10/23 evening
50. 9/27 (call) Roseman 9/27 Oct 18 or 19, zoom or in person
51. 9/28 (email) Connecticut Oct 19th or Oct 20th Social the night before
52. 9/28 (email) NYU Oct 19th 3 pm orientation and Oct 20th Interview (Both orientation and interview are required)
53. 9/28 (email) Montefiore 10/25 or 10/27
54. 9/28 (email) Maryland 10/19 with social night before
55. 9/28 (email) SUNY Stony Brook interview 10/26 with social 10/25
56. 9/29 (call) Kentucky 11/3 with social night before
57. 9/29 (email) University of Alberta 10/30 in-person
58. 9/?? (email or phone) Southern Illinois University, ??
59. 10/2 (email) Case Western, 11/01 or 11/02 with social on 11/01 evening
60. 10/2 (email) University of Detroit Mercy, 11/02 or 11/03
61. 10/4 (email) Rutgers Interview on 10/27 and 10/30
62. 10/4 (email) Temple in person interview on 10/23 or 10/27
63. 10/5 (email) University of Toronto interview on 10/27
64. 10/7 (call) Medstar virtual on 10/28 with a virtual social on 10/27
65. 10/9 (email) Georgia School of Orthodontics virtual interviews between 10/16 and 11/1
66. 10/10 (email) Maimonides 11/7 in-person
67. 10/13 (email) Jacksonville Zoom interview on 10/23 and 10/24th, two 15 minute virtual interviews from 9am-5pm
68. 10/?? (????) USC Interview In Person 10/30th
69. 10/22 (email) Touro - Zoom interview
70. 10/23 (email) Howard Zoom Interview 11/9th AM

Last edited:
Hello, if possible, would you please find out the date USC sent out interview offers and interview dates? And interview format?

Just trying to complete the list for everyone

Thank you
It should be on Monday the 30th, the sent it out a few weeks ago and it is in person

Hi everyone so I wanted to get some input on hospital based programs vs university based programs because I had interviews with one hospital and one state school. Mostly in the aspect of overall culture. I feel like university based programs are like dental school pt 2 whereas hospital based programs look for more independence and it feels like your more of a doctor if that makes sense.

I also wanted to know thoughts on the significance of tuition in the decision making process on ranking. I really liked both of the programs I interviewed at. Essentially both were almost the same in all aspects to me except from tuition and location. University A tuition is 50k/year with a stipend that's ~15k. Hospital will cost of ~30k total and is ~50k/year salary. Both programs are 3yrs. University A is in my home state about 45mins from home, but I wouldn't live at home if I went there and I'm not a huge fan of the city. Hospital is in a big city (which I really like) about 3.5hrs away from home.

Side note: I can moonlight to offset costs at the university bc I am currently licensed in the state and have been working for the past 5months since dental school. Probably will have about 100k saved up by the time residency starts.

I want to rank 1.hospital, 2, university. because of tuition and location, but the university told me they plan on ranking me (not sure if that means a damn thing) so I feel like that's "my best shot at matching"

Choose whatever you liked most!

Hi everyone so I wanted to get some input on hospital based programs vs university based programs because I had interviews with one hospital and one state school. Mostly in the aspect of overall culture. I feel like university based programs are like dental school pt 2 whereas hospital based programs look for more independence and it feels like your more of a doctor if that makes sense.

I also wanted to know thoughts on the significance of tuition in the decision making process on ranking. I really liked both of the programs I interviewed at. Essentially both were almost the same in all aspects to me except from tuition and location. University A tuition is 50k/year with a stipend that's ~15k. Hospital will cost of ~30k total and is ~50k/year salary. Both programs are 3yrs. University A is in my home state about 45mins from home, but I wouldn't live at home if I went there and I'm not a huge fan of the city. Hospital is in a big city (which I really like) about 3.5hrs away from home.

Side note: I can moonlight to offset costs at the university bc I am currently licensed in the state and have been working for the past 5months since dental school. Probably will have about 100k saved up by the time residency starts.

I want to rank 1.hospital, 2, university. because of tuition and location, but the university told me they plan on ranking me (not sure if that means a damn thing) so I feel like that's "my best shot at matching"
Scroll up and watch the video someone posted. Rank them by your preference. It’s not going to hurt your chances at the other one if you have them ranked second

Screenshot_20231029_212403_Chrome.jpg
from the Natmatch website.

From the Natmatch website.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231029_212615_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231029_212615_Chrome.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 104

Depends on how much you can make by moonlighting

Hospital:
50k - 30k = 20k per year income
Living cost in city = $50k per year therefore need to take out $30k loan per year
Total Cost of attendance = $30k x 3 = $90k cost

University:
50k - 15k = 35k per year cost
Living cost in university area: $30k per year
Total Cost of attendance = $65k x 3 = $195k cost

You need to moonlight and make at least $45k per year to make university equilvalent to Hospital due to income tax

Therefore, I would rank Hospital #1 and University #2.

How do you guys rank UIC, UW and UoP ?

I would calculate the Cost of attendance assuming no scholarship
Assuming you are willing to live anywhere and are paying off loans aggressively after you graduate
1 year = pay off $120k loan
6 month = pay off $60k loan

UIC 3 years: $250k
UW 3 years: $300k?
UOP 2.5 years: $400k or $450k? - 60k = $340k or $390k

If my cost of attendance calculations are correct,
1. UIC, 2. UW, 3. UOP

Last edited:
Assuming you are willing to live anywhere and are paying off loans aggressively after you graduate

If my cost of attendance calculation is correct,
1. UIC, 2. UW, 3. UOP
Where are you getting $250k for UIC? I was told that tuition was ~$40k at the interview. Just curious - is this from you factoring in COL?

Where are you getting $250k for UIC? I was told that tuition was ~$40k at the interview. Just curious - is this from you factoring in COL?
yup. I only consider the cost of attendance which includes tuition, fees, cost of living, and federal loan annual 7~8% interest too. COLs are very different in Chicago IL and Birmingham AL.

Also why would a program charge one of deposit fees now if they already interview other applicants?

If a school has historically had post-match spots available compared to other schools, does that reflect possible issues with that school getting the students they want, and thus also reflect possible deeper issues with the program?

If my cost of attendance calculations are correct,
1. UIC, 2. UW, 3. UOP
Obviously cost of attendance is a huge consideration, and thanks for showing an example calculation for it.

But I also wanna add that cost should be one of many factors for ranking programs. If you rank purely on finances, you may be sacrificing programs that are a better fit for you personally and professionally. Is 50-100k worth your happiness? For some, maybe… but for me at least, I recognize that orthodontics is still a lucrative career, and I’ll gladly take out additional loans to spend 2-3 years at a place that I’m excited about!

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone have insight on just how big of an impact location of program is in terms of making connections for where you want to live and practice after you graduate?

Hi, those who got an interview from non-match programs, would you please update if you received any calls for your acceptance from them so we can update list?

Thank you so much

Reactions: 2 users
I received an email from Touro that my application has been placed "on hold." I am wondering if this email has been sent to everyone else.🤔

I received an email from Touro that my application has been placed "on hold." I am wondering if this email has been sent to everyone else.🤔
Same case, I wonder if that means been on the waitlist?

Did you receive an invite for interview before or o my this mail of hold?

Same. I guess in case they don't fill the 3 spots..they might send invitations for others

Any thoughts on Iowa ?
It's a two-year, almost free program, highly respected for having one of the strongest clinical programs in the country. It outshines all 2.5 or 3-year programs due to its cost-effectiveness and the potential to earn income a year earlier (around $300k). Another program akin to this exceptional opportunity is at VCU. Regrettably, I didn't apply to either of these. I wish I had discovered them earlier.

This is my first time participating in the MATCH process. As far as I understand, I need to complete and certify my ranking list; that is all, correct? Additionally, I've noticed there is an "interview list" that displays scheduled interviews, but it seems this list isn't commonly utilized. Is my understanding accurate?

I have the following dilemma. I have four programs that I interviewed at that I am very fond of and one program that I am less fond of but is still acceptable. I want to know if I rank my least favorite program last/fifth, is there any way I would match to them when I could’ve matched to a more preferred program? In other words, can it hurt me to rank this less desirable program, or will it just serve as potential insurance that I go somewhere, and nothing more?

I have the following dilemma. I have four programs that I interviewed at that I am very fond of and one program that I am less fond of but is still acceptable. I want to know if I rank my least favorite program last/fifth, is there any way I would match to them when I could’ve matched to a more preferred program? In other words, can it hurt me to rank this less desirable program, or will it just serve as potential insurance that I go somewhere, and nothing more?
There is no chance to match at the less desirable program if you are able to match at one of your 4 more desirable options. To answer your question, ranking this option will serve as insurance that you go somewhere (assuming you are able to match there).

The rules of the Match are quite simple: rank all acceptable programs in order of true preference. You will not match to a less “desired” option unless you are truly unable to be matched to a more desired one