**Official 2024 Ortho PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Concerning the optional PASS prompt about "activities, goals, endeavors, etc", what have people written about in the past? Would it be a regular description of our hobbies and activities that make us who we are, or does it have to be academically and dental related? The "enable the reader to learn more about your suitability for advanced dental education" part is throwing me off a bit.

Members don't see this ad.

Is Mayo not taking residents this years? PASS says program is unavailable.
Mayo Clinic will not be taking orthodontic applications this year—confirmed by their current interim program director.

Reactions: 1 users
Concerning the optional PASS prompt about "activities, goals, endeavors, etc", what have people written about in the past? Would it be a regular description of our hobbies and activities that make us who we are, or does it have to be academically and dental related? The "enable the reader to learn more about your suitability for advanced dental education" part is throwing me off a bit.
Where is this pass prompt located in the app?

Members don't see this ad :)
Seem like most programs are requiring official GRE score reports to be sent individually. This feels a bit counterproductive as opposed to just having an option to submit to ADEA PASS (not to mention, pricey too). Are you guys really paying to send official gre reports to individual schools (some don't even state their codes on their websites).

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Seem like most programs are requiring official GRE score reports to be sent individually. This feels a bit counterproductive as opposed to just having an option to submit to ADEA PASS (not to mention, pricey too). Are you guys really paying to send official gre reports to individual schools (some don't even state their codes on their websites).
I was surprised at how many programs say they require official GRE scores on their websites, and then when I contact them individually they said unofficial via PASS is fine. Out of the 20ish programs I applied to (thus far), I sent only a few official GRE score reports

I was surprised at how many programs say they require official GRE scores on their websites, and then when I contact them individually they said unofficial via PASS is fine. Out of the 20ish programs I applied to (thus far), I sent only a few official GRE score reports
Do you mind sharing what programs are just fine with PASS scores ?
I'm trying to find OSU's but I can't

I downloaded my application material before submitting it but I noticed there is no mention of my GPA on the application from the official transcript I sent to PASS. Is it the same for you guys as well?

I downloaded my application material before submitting it but I noticed there is no mention of my GPA on the application from the official transcript I sent to PASS. Is it the same for you guys as well?
To the best of my knowledge, PASS doesn’t accept official GRE.

Does anyone know if it is okay to start submitting the supplemental applications prior to the PASS application being submitted?

Does anyone know if it is okay to start submitting the supplemental applications prior to the PASS application being submitted?
I submitted most supplemental applications before submitting the PASS application. I haven’t seen any information at this point stating order of submission.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know where to submit the test score for UIC? On their website, it says "We require one of the following: INDBE, GRE, ADAT, or DAT official scores provided to the University’s central admissions office" with a link to the general application right below it.
However, when I click on the link and start the application, it only shows Summer 2023 as the intended term..
I'm so confused.

Does anyone know if Tufts requires INBDE scores for application? Their site only mentions NDB parts I and II.

I'm trying to upload my undergrad transcripts, but it's saying the file is too small. How can I fix this??

I'm trying to upload my undergrad transcripts, but it's saying the file is too small. How can I fix this??
try to save it again as a pdf. like the way I would do it, is just print it again and instead of choosing a printer, I choose pdf.
So maybe the size will change.

Did UT Houston and Texas A&M require GRE scores submitted directly to the school through ETS? I did for San Antonio but could not find the ETS number for Houston or A&M nor did I see it as a requirement anywhere.

Did UT Houston and Texas A&M require GRE scores submitted directly to the school through ETS? I did for San Antonio but could not find the ETS number for Houston or A&M nor did I see it as a requirement anywhere.
Hi there, I personally did not send in GRE scores for these schools. UTHSCSA's website states that a PASS application be submitted and a 2x2 photo be emailed to them. I see the GRE code, but it does not say they require an official score report (I just entered my unofficial score into the PASS application).

Hi there, I personally did not send in GRE scores for these schools. UTHSCSA's website states that a PASS application be submitted and a 2x2 photo be emailed to them. I see the GRE code, but it does not say they require an official score report (I just entered my unofficial score into the PASS application).
Where did you see the 2x2 requirement for UT Houston? I am looking and it just has the "learn more" link that tells you to apply through PASS. Am I missing something there?

Hey all,
Have any of you seen a change in your percentile on your GRE? I recently noticed that my VR percentile dropped to 46% even though I took the exam back in March. I'm starting to get worried that schools won't even consider my application because of this but maybe I am overthinking it? I think everything else is well rounded (GPA, rank, research and extra curriculars). Should I notify the schools I applied to? I'm not sure what I should do
My understanding is the GRE percentiles are re-calculated every 3 years or so, so it was due for a re-calculation this year. I noticed my quant dropped about 3 percentage points and my verbal dropped 1 percentage point.

Does anyone have any information about the Albert Einstein program? It says "program inactive" on PASS. Thanks!

Last edited:
Does anyone know how to withdraw apps from non-match programs? I submitted all my primaries but found out during secondaries to some match programs that they only accept match-only applying applicants. One of the match-only schools is my top choice so I rather apply here than the non match programs.

I also reached out to ADEA PASS and they couldn’t do anything and some of the non match schools arent replying to my voicemails and emails.

Does anyone know how to withdraw apps from non-match programs? I submitted all my primaries but found out during secondaries to some match programs that they only accept match-only applying applicants. One of the match-only schools is my top choice so I rather apply here than the non match programs.

I also reached out to ADEA PASS and they couldn’t do anything and some of the non match schools arent replying to my voicemails and emails.
I think as long as you don’t attend the interviews, you will be fine. There’s no way of them really to know that you applied to non match schools

Hey all,
Have any of you seen a change in your percentile on your GRE? I recently noticed that my VR percentile dropped to 46% even though I took the exam back in March. I'm starting to get worried that schools won't even consider my application because of this but maybe I am overthinking it? I think everything else is well rounded (GPA, rank, research and extra curriculars). Should I notify the schools I applied to? I'm not sure what I should do
This happened to my quant score. I called and the first rep said it was a glitch in the system and it would be fixed after a few business days. I called again and the second rep said every year in July they re-calculate the percentiles and that what it say currently is correct. I don't think ets made that clear to test takers

Does anyone happened to have a list of ETS codes for the programs? I couldn't find the codes for OSU and UPitt and they haven't responded to my emails as well.

Does anyone happened to have a list of ETS codes for the programs? I couldn't find the codes for OSU and UPitt and they haven't responded to my emails as well.
For schools, unless they explicitly state to send official GRE scores, I am only relying on the unofficial self-reported PASS score. Is this what others are doing or are you sending them in to schools even if they don't say to send official GRE scores?

For schools, unless they explicitly state to send official GRE scores, I am only relying on the unofficial self-reported PASS score. Is this what others are doing or are you sending them in to schools even if they don't say to send official GRE scores?
Not if they aren't asking for it

I send my supplemental application to OSU but haven't heard from them yet. It's been a week now. Is it the same for you as well?

Is Indiana University only non-match this cycle? Under program details it says yes to match participation, but in writing it says "Match form not required for this cycle". Or is it possible to be match and non-match?

I am confused on what a "supplemental application" actually is. For some programs, could that literally just be paying an application processing fee, and submitting a 2x2 photo? When I hear supplemental application it makes me think there are additional questions/an actual application to fill out but so far I've applied to 4 programs and it seems it's just a fee, or submitting a few extra pieces of information (photo, GRE scores, etc).

I am afraid of missing something because you have to dig around on their websites to find out what you really need to send them.

I am confused on what a "supplemental application" actually is. For some programs, could that literally just be paying an application processing fee, and submitting a 2x2 photo? When I hear supplemental application it makes me think there are additional questions/an actual application to fill out but so far I've applied to 4 programs and it seems it's just a fee, or submitting a few extra pieces of information (photo, GRE scores, etc).

I am afraid of missing something because you have to dig around on their websites to find out what you really need to send them.
You are correct! Every school is different and they all have different styles of communication. I think for me best thing has been to make an excel sheet and summarize what each school needs so you can keep track.

You are correct! Every school is different and they all have different styles of communication. I think for me best thing has been to make an excel sheet and summarize what each school needs so you can keep track.
Thanks! I do have an excel sheet and also printed out all the info for every program.

Thanks! I do have an excel sheet and also printed out all the info for every program.
Just make sure you check the program website, they may not always email you with what you need!

Has anyone gotten the self-addressed postcard back from UNC Chapel Hill? I really think I have submitted everything but its been a month and I haven't gotten the postcard back confirming that my application is complete yet.

Guys, how many schools is a good number of schools to apply to? I'm struggling to convince myself to apply to super expensive 3 year programs vs staying behind the cycle for a chance of matching to a 2 year program the next year.
(I'm a working dentist btw)
What's your opinion on this?

Guys, how many schools is a good number of schools to apply to? I'm struggling to convince myself to apply to super expensive 3 year programs vs staying behind the cycle for a chance of matching to a 2 year program the next year.
Depends on your stats, not to scare you but plenty of competitive people apply to 30ish and don't match

Does anyone know which Ortho residencies tend to not offer interviews to applicants who come from P/F curriculums? I heard rumors that certain programs won't even open the application if it's from a P/F applicant. Thanks!
I don't think that's true. Some very reputable schools use P/F system. In that case programs will look at class percentile.

I don't think that's true. Some very reputable schools use P/F system. In that case programs will look at class percentile.
There are a few "true P/F" schools that don't even report percentile

Depends on how you feel working another year as a GP if you apply to only 2 year programs and don't match this time around. Some people don't mind, others want out of that role and can't wait.

My thoughts: doesn't hurt to apply to the expensive three year programs and see what your opportunities are like. I've seen people apply anywhere from 10-25+ schools. Depends on how much you want to spend on applications. It does add up once you factor in transcript requests, supplemental applications and various additional fees some schools charge.

For anyone applying to Maryland - are we required to send our transcripts/boards scores/2x2 photo by mail as well? This popped up after I submitted the separate Maryland app

Last edited:
For anyone applying to Maryland - are we required to send our transcripts/boards scores/2x2 photo by mail as well? This popped up after I submitted the separate Maryland app
Nope! They said they would call if they needed us to physical when I called them

any current residents/orthos willing to give my PS a once over? I've had a few people look at it but just realizing now none of them were orthos actually!