USMLE Official 2021 Step 2 CK Experiences With Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDoc22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
All right y'all, let's get this party started. Here's to a smooth sailing third year, no Prometric drama with Step 2, in-person aways and interviews, and no CS/hopefully PE.

School: bone wizard

Step 1: mid 230s
Level 1: mid 570s

Step 2 goal: 250+
Level 2 goal: 600+

Interests: EM, OB/GYN (distant second)

Rotations (in order): Peds, IM, FM, Psych, Neuro, Surgery, EM, OB/GYN and then several electives mixed in

Resources: UWorld, Online MedEd, Tzanki deck since it's shorter and the Step 1 decks burned me out, might check out B&B for Step 2 when it comes out since Dr. Ryan saved my butt on Step 1

My rotations go until the end of June and unfortunately my schedule is pretty backloaded with my final 3 rotations being EM, OB and ICU so I guess that means I'll be taking Step 2 in early July. Obviously I'm not sure how auditions/aways will be playing out next summer and if PE will be a thing so a lot up in the air right now in terms of scheduling. My school does COMATs for our shelf exams but I don't plan on using any DO-specific resources for COMATs or Level 2 as I've heard UWorld is all you need.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I've been trying to do one UWorld block per day but not sure if that's going to be sustainable. I have IM next and all of our rotations are only 4 weeks long so there's no way I'm going to get all of the questions and cards done before my shelf. I'm thinking of transitioning to 25 questions per day on weekdays and one block of questions per day on the weekends since I'm just plain exhausted when I get home at the end of the day.

Reactions: 1 user
lol its official, step 1 broke me. Struggling to get through 300 dorian reviews, during step I would get through 2000 plus no problem. I'm done studying all day, until maybe my IM rotation. Now I'm lucky to get 6 hours of studying a day on the weekend.
Dude hearddddd that! Step 1 absolutely destroyed me. Its going to take months to recuperate and get my desire to study back. Going hard for months even years for one exam broke me down so much. I can barely study for 15 mins. i literally went from taking Step 1 to going straight into surgery 3 days later then taking comlex several days ago and now studying for a shelf exam. Never been so burned out in my entire life

Reactions: 1 users
This seems like a lot lol. I've literally just been doing Dorian + OME, it takes maybe 2 hours a day if that.
It probably is to much, Feel like after months of sunup to sundown it feels stressful to not study every waking moment. I do gotta spend some extra time though cause I put off all the aquifer cases.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take my first shelf on friday, should have all the comquest questions for Fam med done before then, Ill be sure to let yall know if their predictor is any good

Reactions: 2 users
Surg shelf on Thurs. I feel unprepared af lol the comquest questions are mad hard and sort of freaking me out. Any advice for approaching management questions? Getting them all wrong. By weds ill have watched all of the OME vids and have done all the surg comquest questions but thats all ive done. Im always the one to be prepared but this one idk lol im just still fried from boards so I started studying like a few days ago

Last edited:
@fldoctorgirl sorry to keep asking you questions, but how was the OMM on the family med COMAT
There was none. They occasionally put OMM findings in a stem but I just ignored it. Had nothing to do with any of the questions or answers. From my understanding all the COMATs are this way or have no more than 1-2 OMM questions.

I just realized it might be 2021 before I take my first COMAT. My clinical site scheduled me IM 1, Peds 1, FM 1, Psych (12/07-01/01), IM 2, Peds 2, FM 2, GS 1, OB, and GS 2. Since we don’t take any COMATs until after the second rotation if there are two, psych’s gonna be my first COMAT If my schedule doesn’t get changed again and it may not be until January since I finish my psych rotation January 1st.

This means all of my COMATs are going to be graded harsher, right, since they’re all at least halfway through the year? I think I remember reading that was a thing somewhere.

This means all of my COMATs are going to be graded harsher, right, since they’re all at least halfway through the year? I think I remember reading that was a thing somewhere.

My understanding is the COMAT’s are graded on a scale based on your testing cohort

I just realized it might be 2021 before I take my first COMAT. My clinical site scheduled me IM 1, Peds 1, FM 1, Psych (12/07-01/01), IM 2, Peds 2, FM 2, GS 1, OB, and GS 2. Since we don’t take any COMATs until after the second rotation if there are two, psych’s gonna be my first COMAT If my schedule doesn’t get changed again and it may not be until January since I finish my psych rotation January 1st.

Are all these month long rotations? If so why do you have 2 of each. The only one that is 8 weeks for me is IM. Other than that I take a COMAT at the end of 4 weeks for the others.

Last edited:
Are all these month long rotations? If so why do you have 2 of each. The only that is 8 weeks for me is IM. Other than that I take a COMAT at the end of 4 weeks for the others.
Each school does something differently. Seems like her school does 2 months of each core and then no elective time.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is the COMAT’s are graded on a scale based on your testing cohort

Thank you! Would have been nice to have had one early, then.

Are all these month long rotations? If so why do you have 2 of each. The only one that is 8 weeks for me is IM. Other than that I take a COMAT at the end of 4 weeks for the others.

Nice schedule! I know I don’t want peds or FM so I would have been really happy with four weeks of each of those instead of eight. Surgery’s something I’m curious to see if I’ll like so I don’t mind eight weeks of that. I get that I have time to study more for my COMATs but I definitely would have happily traded that time for an elective or two in third year.

Wrapping up my current rotation (online) but will have surgery in person in a few weeks. Any advice on how to survive?? Is it as bad as everyone says it is?

Lmao you guys I got a 132 on the peds COMAT and I honestly have no idea how that happened. I marked at least 50 questions and guessed blindly on at least 30 of them.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Guys i just took the surgery comat. Absolute ****show. Blindly guessed on probably at least 70% of the exam. Wtf was that. Ive never felt so uncomfortable with my answers in my entire life lmao

• Wow
Lmao you guys I got a 132 on the peds COMAT and I honestly have no idea how that happened. I marked at least 50 questions and guessed blindly on at least 30 of them.
lol I didnt even know you could get that high. I thought the highest score was a 128

lol I didnt even know you could get that high. I thought the highest score was a 128

Yeah I have no idea what the actual scale is since the NBOME doesn't release that information. I mean I'll gladly take it but they had to have dropped a bunch of questions because I marked at least 50 questions on that exam.

gosh i hope your attending graded you well. id hate for that to go in the books as a "pass"

Asked my family med doc for a letter of rec today and he said yes. I think I'm just going to ask all my preceptors for one. Worst they can do is say no and then I'll potentially have a surplus of letter

Asked my family med doc for a letter of rec today and he said yes. I think I'm just going to ask all my preceptors for one. Worst they can do is say no and then I'll potentially have a surplus of letter
Ive always wondered whats better volume or quality. More people you ask more youll have in the bank which is a pro but then could risk quality. If youre too picky for quality you may come up short

Ive always wondered whats better volume or quality. More people you ask more youll have in the bank which is a pro but then could risk quality. If youre too picky for quality you may come up short
I don't think I'm going to waive viewing them. That way I can pick and choose

I don't think I'm going to waive viewing them. That way I can pick and choose

We had a meeting the other day and our advisor told us it's not uncommon for programs to throw out your application if you don't waive viewing them.

Reactions: 3 users
Ugh, what trash. So much for that plan

You can still collect them and based off your interactions with them throughout the rotation or even just based on their reaction to you asking for a letter you can pick and choose which ones you'd want to keep.

Do you guys think for IM comat 40 questions per day is overkill or doable (its a 4 week rotation so 24 days until my comat). My days are gonna be pretty long (12ish hrs per day) but theres some down time during the day apparently. I was thinking 20 comquest 20 UWorld. There are 1500 IM UWorld questions which means I would need to do like 60+ questions per day to finish all of them and I feel like that may be a recipe for burnout/disaster

Do you guys think for IM comat 40 questions per day is overkill or doable (its a 4 week rotation so 24 days until my comat). My days are gonna be pretty long (12ish hrs per day) but theres some down time during the day apparently. I was thinking 20 comquest 20 UWorld. There are 1500 IM UWorld questions which means I would need to do like 60+ questions per day to finish all of them and I feel like that may be a recipe for burnout/disaster
have not done IM but I was pulling 10+ hours a day in FM and was usually able to do only 40 a day.

Family Med COMAT felt super tough ngl. Almost rant out of time on it which is a first for me when it comes to standardized exams.

Welp fam it was probably inevitable but I'm very likely COVID+ (official results still pending but I had direct contact with a confirmed positive person last week and have some minor symptoms). I'm on a 2 week quarantine now through the end of next week and am missing 2/4 weeks of my IM rotation. I'm hoping I'll be able to do some online stuff at home and then finish out in-person with no make up time needed but we will see. I guess the bright side is that I'm getting this out of the way sooner rather than later and won't have to miss any time on the rotations in specialities I'm actually interested in next semester.

• Sad
Welp fam it was probably inevitable but I'm very likely COVID+ (official results still pending but I had direct contact with a confirmed positive person last week and have some minor symptoms). I'm on a 2 week quarantine now through the end of next week and am missing 2/4 weeks of my IM rotation. I'm hoping I'll be able to do some online stuff at home and then finish out in-person with no make up time needed but we will see. I guess the bright side is that I'm getting this out of the way sooner rather than later and won't have to miss any time on the rotations in specialities I'm actually interested in next semester.
I'm sorry, that stinks. Hope you don't feel too crappy!

Wow, sorry to hear that. I hope it's not too bad and you get over it soon.

Does anyone have any info on wether having Step 2CK scores after 21st would be pushing it? Let's say in the situation that someone has a good Step 1 score, how late after October 21 to you think we can push it. My reason is that I'm going to be studying during rotations for it, but would feel much more comfortable if I had some time off to focus on it.

Damn bro! Im sorry to hear that. Feel better my homie

That sucks. Take it easy and rest up! Hopefully you don’t have to make the time up - my school came up with an online research module, of all things, for if we have to miss a rotation - since we already have canvas stuff that we have to do for our rotations even if we do them in person. Maybe at worst you’ll just have extra things on canvas.

Anyone using the Brosencephalon step 2 deck or heard anything about it? Im using it now and its not closed deletions it gives you a lot of charts which im not a huge fan of because I spend too much time on one card. What are yalls recommendation

Y'all the misinformation I see on social media about COVID is truly destroying me soul. I should probably just delete my facebook, but the memes get me through my day

Y'all the misinformation I see on social media about COVID is truly destroying me soul. I should probably just delete my facebook, but the memes get me through my day
I deactivated my Facebook account back in June, and it was the best decision I ever made for my mental health lol. I don't think I will go back anytime soon.

Last edited:
I deactivated my Facebook account back in June, and it was the best decision I ever made for my mental health lol. I don't think I will ever go back anytime soon.
people are going over the comorbidity info for COVID deaths and are now convinced that it means COVID is not a big deal

• Sad
Yall know what time of day comlex level 1 gets released I think my score comes out tmrw

I think it can be released anytime during the day (classic NBOME) but fwiw I know mine and several others had ours come out at 1 pm CT

Anyone paying attention to the sh** show regarding PE? Kinda wondering if I should schedule my date from now since it seems all of c/o 2021 is going to be insanely backlogged.

Anyone paying attention to the sh** show regarding PE? Kinda wondering if I should schedule my date from now since it seems all of c/o 2021 is going to be insanely backlogged.

My school's timeline for third and fourth year said we should register for PE in September of third year. I feel like there's no way the NBOME is going to be able to restart in November and I really don't want to flush $1300 down the drain but I feel like I should just bite the bullet and register for this **** show next month so I have a date. I hope that somehow the NBOME will return to reality and realize the PE needs to be suspended for a while like the NBME did but I'm not holding my breath.