COMLEX Official 2016 Comlex 2 CE Experiences and Scores Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctorman

TouroCOM-NY
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
2016 COMLEX 2 CE

please post how you prepared
What scores you got while preparing UWORL, COMBANK, COMQUEST
What was your experience with the test
What was your score.

2015 thread :http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...x-2-ce-experiences-and-scores-thread.1127509/

2014 thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...x-2-ce-experiences-and-scores-thread.1077080/

Members don't see this ad.

Prep:
Dedicated time: 2 weeks
UW x 2 (1x during 3rd year for shelves and 1x during dedicated)
- UW 1st time avg - 60% ish? (read all explanations)
- UW 2nd time avg - 85% (read only explanations for marked/wrong Qs)

COMBANK x 1
- Avg - 78%

MTB x 1 (I skimmed this really fast during the last 4 days of dedicated)

NBME 3 (baseline, 2 weeks out): 220
NBME 6 (1 week out): 240
NBME 7 (4 days out): 235
Free 130: 82%

COMSAE D (Maybe 10 days out?): 650

Real Deal:
Step 2 CK (7/12): 256
Level 2 CE (7/13): 667

Best of luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dropped ~100 points from comlex I. 60 points lower than COMSAE D. All I can say is "huh?"

:=|:-):

Just wanted to let you lurkers know that stuff goes south for no apparent reason.

#Comlexed

COMSAE D (2 months out): 482

COMSAE C (2 weeks out): 602

COMLEX 2: 496

I've come to the conclusion that COMLEX scores are nothing but randomly generated numbers and COMSAEs are a complete waste of money. Went down 100 points from my last COMSAE on level 1 and 2.

Reactions: 1 user
Level 1=666
Step 1=254

Dedicated time~1 month
UWorld random sets timed=75%
Some combank OMM (awful question bank)
Comsae C (1mo out)=667
Comsae D (2 weeks out) 760

Level 2=770

Left the exam feeling awful. Was rushed for time after spending >7 minutes on one question and forgetting how the break system works.
Felt like a large percentage of the test was educated and random guesses. Expected mediocre results at best.
Advice while you wait for you score=don't think about it.

Thanks guys for making me feel slightly better after reading all your passing (and passing with flying colors) results. I fearfully await for my score end of this month/early next month.

Would you say those who think they failed, felt defeated after the exam, and beat themself up for a month are more than likely to have passed??

My attitude: I really don't want to go back to studying like there is no tomorrow, so think I would be happy enough with a 400.

I was sure I didnt do well. I would have bet money on it. I took a 10 minute break and was rushed for the next 2 blocks and couldnt review mymarked questions. Came home and told my wife to prepare for the worst. It was my highest percentile score to date. Go figure. The wait sux so just try and keep your mind off it I wish the very best!

Just took it yesterday. Literally shouldn't even have bothered studying. Felt so bad afterwards. And of course I did the one thing you aren't supposed to do: check your answers. So many missed. Hoping someone else who took it yesterday also felt like crap? Feeling impressively defeated right now :(

Just took it yesterday. Literally shouldn't even have bothered studying. Felt so bad afterwards. And of course I did the one thing you aren't supposed to do: check your answers. So many missed. Hoping someone else who took it yesterday also felt like crap? Feeling impressively defeated right now :(

We're all in the same boat. That's exactly how I felt right after my exam, which I still feel to this day. I went crazy and checked my answers right after my exam, and most were wrong.

Reactions: 1 users
We're all in the same boat. That's exactly how I felt right after my exam, which I still feel to this day. I went crazy and checked my answers right after my exam, and most were wrong.
I had so many off the wall questions I wouldn't even know where to check them.

Members don't see this ad :)

I had so many off the wall questions I wouldn't even know where to check them.

This really does suck. All this effort, for nothing. At least this seems to be the norm. Sucks that weeks of studying ultimately boils down to an awful test with a random score that may or may not represent your effort. Here's to a month of waiting, worrying, and wondering what to do at this point. Thanks for the responses, hope you guys get good news these next coming weeks. At least graduation is on the horizon (hopefully in my case... sigh)

This really does suck. All this effort, for nothing. At least this seems to be the norm. Sucks that weeks of studying ultimately boils down to an awful test with a random score that may or may not represent your effort. Here's to a month of waiting, worrying, and wondering what to do at this point. Thanks for the responses, hope you guys get good news these next coming weeks. At least graduation is on the horizon (hopefully in my case... sigh)
I took it a couple weeks ago, and get my score back in 2 weeks, but it was still a **** show.

I took it a couple weeks ago, and get my score back in 2 weeks, but it was still a **** show.

Yeah I think I saw both of you posted that you guys took it a little bit ago. I guess what I meant was that even though you didn't take the same test, at least it's comforting to know that people had similar experiences through out this process. Hoping for good news for you guys!

I felt far from confident walking out of that exam. I ended up >850. All I can say is trust in your studies as hard as that may be.

Comlex 1- 558

Comsae D (prior to studying)- 566
Comsae B (2 weeks out)- 637

Comlex 2- 587

A little disappointed I didnt break 600, but atleast I went up! I felt like my version of the exam was easy, which worried me, because I've realized the easier the test, the harder it is to score higher. I'm just grateful the wait is over with! Phew!

In all seriousness will someone with an 800 + score print screen the subject section so I can see what a baller sees. Hell I'll post my 710 one in response. I just gotta know is it all pinned arrows on the right or is it just one bigass smiley face with a sighn that says baller status?

In all seriousness will someone with an 800 + score print screen the subject section so I can see what a baller sees. Hell I'll post my 710 one in response. I just gotta know is it all pinned arrows on the right or is it just one bigass smiley face with a sighn that says baller status?
Give me two weeks

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Looks like the next round of scores will be released on the last day of the range at 4:59pm...

Got a >750

Here's what I used for 3rd year:
OnlineMedEd videos and UWorld tutor mode for each rotation and for

IM: Step up to Medicine and MKSAP 5
FM: Case Files, Ambulatory medicine chapter of SUTM, UVa online FM clerkship questions, and free AAFP board review questions
Peds: Case Files and Pre Test
Psych: First Aid for the Psych Clerkship
OBGYN: Case Files and APGO uWISE questions
Neuro: Blueprints and SUTM
Surgery: Pestana's and Surgical recall

Studied for CK for 4 weeks. Skimmed SUTM and FA for Psych. Redid UWorld in tutor mode and used FA Step 1 to review primary immunodeficiencies and biostats. Didn't use FA for CK or MTB.

Took USMLE first. Had a week in between to read Savarese, do the OMM Qs in Combank, and watch those videos on facilitation and Chapman's.

Level 1 - >750
UW first pass - 83%
UW second pass - 91%
NBME 4 - 267
NBME 6 - 275
NBME 7 - 263
UWSA - 270
Free 120 - 95%

Still waiting on CK.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Went from mid-high 600's-->mid low 600's. Is this terrible?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Got a 777.

Here's what I used for 3rd year:
OnlineMedEd videos and UWorld tutor mode for each rotation and for

IM: Step up to Medicine and MKSAP 5
FM: Case Files, Ambulatory medicine chapter of SUTM, UVa online FM clerkship questions, and free AAFP board review questions
Peds: Case Files and Pre Test
Psych: First Aid for the Psych Clerkship
OBGYN: Case Files and APGO uWISE questions
Neuro: Blueprints and SUTM
Surgery: Pestana's and Surgical recall

Took a laid back rotation the beginning of 4th year and studied for CK for 4 weeks. Skimmed SUTM and FA for Psych. Redid UWorld in tutor mode and used FA Step 1 to review primary immunodeficiencies and biostats. Didn't use FA for CK or MTB.

Took USMLE first. Had a week in between to read Savarese, do the OMM Qs in Combank, and watch those videos on facilitation and Chapman's.

Level 1 - 753
Step 1 - 261
UW first pass - 83%
UW second pass - 91%
NBME 4 - 267
NBME 6 - 275
NBME 7 - 263
UWSA - 270
Free 120 - 95%

Still waiting on CK.
You are a beast. Congrats!

Average on comats (after conversion) was an 85.
Comsae D a month out: 456
Actual Comlex 2 score: 463

I was doing quite above average on my first run through of comquest/combank.. which I finished a few days before the real thing.

I hate the NBOME and their seriously awful exams.

You guys are too smart. I've always been in the low 400s despite above average qbank...

Thankfully I'm not going for a competitive specialty. I wanted to redeem myself this time, but I'm glad at least I don't have to go through torture again. I knew I didn't do to well; my brain froze and I have test taking anxiety which oddly isn't on my shelf exams, which I performed average on.

I just hate how residency programs look at my scores before interview decision is made. I wonder if I should sneak it in my personal statement that I'm seeking help now to calm my anxiety?. During my audition rotations I have fortunately been showing that my clinical knowledge isn't equivalent to my crappy scores. But too bad the places I am applying to without an audition can't see that.

Sorry for slightly changing subjects on this thread...

I wish I took Xanax :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Average on comats (after conversion) was an 85.
Comsae D a month out: 456
Actual Comlex 2 score: 463

I was doing quite above average on my first run through of comquest/combank.. which I finished a few days before the real thing.

I hate the NBOME and their seriously awful exams.

I agree

You guys are too smart. I've always been in the low 400s despite above average qbank...

Thankfully I'm not going for a competitive specialty. I wanted to redeem myself this time, but I'm glad at least I don't have to go through torture again. I knew I didn't do to well; my brain froze and I have test taking anxiety which oddly isn't on my shelf exams, which I performed average on.

I just hate how residency programs look at my scores before interview decision is made. I wonder if I should sneak it in my personal statement that I'm seeking help now to calm my anxiety?. During my audition rotations I have fortunately been showing that my clinical knowledge isn't equivalent to my crappy scores. But too bad the places I am applying to without an audition can't see that.

Sorry for slightly changing subjects on this thread...

I wish I took Xanax :(

I wouldn't mention you're seeking treatment for anxiety. If you're going for a non-competitive specialty your low scores won't be an issue.

COMSAE Phase 2, 6 weeks out: 350's :eek:
Finished about 1500 practice questions in total during a 3-week study period, mostly from COMQUEST. Made 2 passes through Step Up to Medicine. Reviewed OB/GYN, pediatrics, and psych from OnlineMedEd and FA for Step 2.
COMSAE Phase 2 Form D, 3 days out: 550's
Level 2 CE: 510's. Exam was heavy on OB and Pediatrics.
PE: Pass

While still below the average, still improved significantly from Level 1 and my class rank so I'm happy. Mostly just thankful to have passed and still be in the running for my desired specialty. Especially glad to be done with the PE; I was scared that I forgot too many things on the physical exam.

Last edited:
what specialties are on the horizon with a 450ish score?

Any specialty is possible. Just do well on audition and show commitment to the field. I've heard people getting into "competitive" specialties with 400's. Numbers aren't everything. Especially in the DO world.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Any specialty is possible. Just do well on audition and show commitment to the field. I've heard people getting into "competitive" specialties with 400's. Numbers aren't everything. Especially in the DO world.

MTB and COMBANK did not have enough to boost my Ped and OB
I have no idea why my OMM was low, I thought I did well on the OMM and I was doing 82% on cobank.. I guess test taking skill is not my thing.

Now time to figure out a way to pass step 3 with a higher score to get a better residency...

MTB and COMBANK did not have enough to boost my Ped and OB
I have no idea why my OMM was low, I thought I did well on the OMM and I was doing 82% on cobank.. I guess test taking skill is not my thing.

Now time to figure out a way to pass step 3 with a higher score to get a better residency...
You're taking level 3 before you apply to residency??

You're taking level 3 before you apply to residency??
Can't take level 3 until you graduate.

On a side note, they are changing the exam in 2018 so it will be 2 days now with interactive OMM cases. I'm planning on taking it in the time between graduation and the start of intern year. Don't feel like being a guinea pig.

Can't take level 3 until you graduate.

On a side note, they are changing the exam in 2018 so it will be 2 days now with interactive OMM cases. I'm planning on taking it in the time between graduation and the start of intern year. Don't feel like being a guinea pig.
In the NBOME world, being the 1st one to do something usually means get ready to crash and burn.

Dedicated study time: 2 weeks
UW 1.8x (did 1/3 of it throughout the year by subject) 1st pass ~65%??? (cant' remember)
2nd pass ~75%
Combank 1x 70.6% (crammed through questions on OMM)
COMSAE D - 566 (9 weeks out)
COMSAE B - 473 (6 weeks out)
COMSAE A - 554 (5 weeks out)
NBME 4 - 236 (1 week before)

Real Deal
USMLE 241
COMLEX 622 (vs Level 1 ~540)

Only went through 50% Savarese - I knew I couldn't memorize all the special tests and treatments anyway
Gave up on reading MTB 1/3 of way through
Watched all the onlinemeded videos and read respective notes in 3months - their quick tables is very helpful** in review

I was one of those people who may have burned out so I postponed my exam twice which ended up working in my favor this time. By the time I took my exam, I didn't feel nervous from failing at all versus when I had taken step 1. So for people who don't feel they're giving their 100%, don't take it. It definitely sucked big time having to study during audition rotations though. Took COMLEX and USMLE back to back days (just happy to have passed USMLE Step 2 though since I was bombing first 2 blocks hardcore).