Official 2013-2014 Pulm/CCM fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So did I. Maybe we met?

Members don't see this ad.

So one of the fellows at ETSU told me that he had 50 perc trachs by the end of his 2nd year. Impressive, was not expecting that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone hear from programs in NY?

Only Columbia offiliated programs and Sinai...REJECTED lol other than that not at all...Haven't heard from any of the SUNY's which sucks since for me they are IMG friendly. GOOD LUCK! Hope we all get more invites.

Interviews:
Albany
Allegheny General
Banner Good Samaritan
Baylor-Houston
Beth Israel Medical Center, NY
Boston University (BU)
Brown
California Pacific (CPMC)
Carilion Clinic VA
Case Western (UH)
Cedars Sinai
Cleveland Clinic FL
Cleveland Clinic OH
Columbia
Cook County
Cornell
Creighton
Drexel-Haneman
Duke
East Carolina university
Eastern Tenn University
Geisinger Medical Center (Danville, PA)
Georgetown
Harbor-UCLA
Harvard-BWH
Harvard-MGH/BI
Henry Ford
Indiana University (IU)
Iowa
Johns Hopkins
Lankenau Medical Center
Loma Linda
LSU Shreveport
Loyola
Mayo Clinic (Florida)
Mayo Clinic (Rochester)
Medical College of Wisconsin (MCOW)
MetroHealth (Cleveland, OH)
Miami
Medical Univ of South Carolina (MUSC)
Mount Sinai School of Medicine (MSSM)
Newark Beth
NY Hospital Queens
NYU
Northwestern
UMDNJ/Rutgers/NJMS
OHSU
OSU
Penn State
Providence Hospital
Rush
St. Elizabeth's
Stanford
Temple
Texas A&M at Scott and White
Texas Tech
Thomas Jefferson
Tufts
U Arizona
U Arkansas
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UCSF-Fresno
U Chicago
U Cincinnati
U Colorado
U Kansas
U Kentucky
U Louisville
U Maryland
U Mass
U Michigan
U Missouri
U Nebraska
U North Carolina
U Penn
U Pittsburg (UPMC)
USC
U South Florida (USF)
U Tennessee Memphis
U Texas Southwestern (UTSW)
U Texas Medical Branch (UTMB)
U Virginia
UW
Washington Hospital Centre DC (MedStar)
Washington University/St. Louis
Wake Forest Univ
Yale

Rejections:
Baylor
Brigham and Women-Harvard
BU
Cornell
Emory
Henry Ford
Mayo (Rochester)
MGH/BIDMC
MUSC
OSU
St. Louis University
Temple
Tufts
UAB
U Louisville
U Mich
U Penn
U Rochester
USC
U Washington-Seattle
U Wisconsin-Madison
Washington U/St. Louis
Yale

Can we realistically expect interviews to still go out, or is the invitation phase likely over?

I heard from buffalo in the past.sorry not to have updated. Yesterday from Wayne and now from University of Florida.

Can we realistically expect interviews to still go out, or is the invitation phase likely over?

So I a lot of the fellows told me than one phase of interviews is over, but they said to expect a second round of interviews mid-september(once people start cancelling)

So I a lot of the fellows told me than one phase of interviews is over, but they said to expect a second round of interviews mid-september(once people start cancelling)

I sure hope so! OK people, start cancelling ;) Just kidding, sort of.

There's definitely a handful of programs out there haven't sent out any invites yet. Some that are still getting through applications, and most are probably getting revved up for round 2, so let's hang in there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ccf florida. Inviting 20 people.

Hey buddy! I don't know why CCF FL has already been on the list but it seems like this is the first batch. Anyway, is this program doing pulm or pul/CC?. In Freida, is pul/cc but in their website and the IV email said pulm only. I am confusing.

Univ of Arizona: Applications under review if chosen for interview, will hear by Oct 21

Univ of Arizona: Applications under review if chosen for interview, will hear by Oct 21

Here's hoping for that "second wind" due out in mid/late September... or even as late as October!

Check out the NRMP Specialties Matching Service, 2013 Appointment Year Results. Click on first link to get the PDF.

Data looks like it was just uploaded recently. Don't know whether to jump for joy or panic based on the stats (700 applicants for PCCM for 463 spots, 99.1% fill rate or 459 spots filled; and of those 37% got 1st choice, 12% 2nd choice, 6% 3rd choice).

http://www.nrmp.org/match-data/fellowship-match-data/

Last edited:
Hello guys,

for last week I haven't heard anything from any program....Is IV season is finished??

In the master list for IV...there r couple of northeast course program as well.. R u all guys internal candidate for those program?

Hello guys,

for last week I haven't heard anything from any program....Is IV season is finished??

I believe IV season just started a couple weeks ago according to those I have met on the trail and by the dates listed on FREIDA. And will probably run until the end of October, maybe a few into early November.

Previous posts have also mentioned that perhaps the next batch of interviews will start to come out soon as applicants may cancel some as well as programs close their ERAS submissions.

I wonder with regard to my post above with the NRMP stats, of the 700 applicants registered for the NRMP Match, how many more applied but didn't get any interviews?? And while FREIDA doesn't have stats on every program it looks like the average number of interviews offered per program is 25-50 for a range of fellowship spots.

Upenn rejection. Nicest rejection ever. UW should take notes

I guess most of the active posters are interviewing now... and will post nothing until rank day.

I guess most of the active posters are interviewing now... and will post nothing until rank day.

Hey I'm pretty active and interviewing. ;) Had another one today actually. Sadly though...

Rejection U Colorado Denver

At least there's some closure.

I know it's early. Please advise which one is better PCCM Program. UT Memphis or University of Kentucky.

I know it's early. Please advise which one is better PCCM Program. UT Memphis or University of Kentucky.

Have you interviewed at either/both already?

As most PD will say, there is not a "perfect" PCCM program. It really depends on what is the right "fit/match" for you and for them.

Southwest creating troubles yesterday.
4 flights in multiple areas in midwest cancelled.

But rejection from Colorado and snail mil from UCSF.

On that long list of programs, which ones allow fellows the most autonomy? I've actually heard of some programs that don't even allow first-year fellows to intubate. Can you believe that? Any programs that you know of that give fellows free reign over all procedures, intubations, trachs, etc?

On that long list of programs, which ones allow fellows the most autonomy? I've actually heard of some programs that don't even allow first-year fellows to intubate. Can you believe that? Any programs that you know of that give fellows free reign over all procedures, intubations, trachs, etc?

:laugh: given how few IM programs let IM residents do any procedures you shouldn't be surprised at this. I wouldn't let you have free reign over a ICU bronch unless I knew you weren't a clown, much less an intubation or a trach

I would go for UK. UT had a lot od trouble last year regarding multiple hospital coverage at night and overwork issues. Lexington is far nicer than Mrmphis.

real quite week. is that second wave ever coming?

I just don't have a sense of this year's activity. New system. Getting more competitive.

My guess? People are holding into interviews they might have let go in the past. There may not be any second wave. :(. Still about 7 weeks until certified rank lists. So I don't l know.

At one of the places I interviewed last week, the PD said it's been the most competitive this year and has been on the rise since 3 years ago. And that we should be proud of the fact that we were selected to interview.

That being said, I think you're right in saying that perhaps we were assuming incorrectly that a "second wave" of interviews will be coming, because people aren't canceling and the pool of applicants has become more competitive. But one can still hope as we enter into late September...

Good luck this week to everyone!

Let's say that is the case and people hold to interviews maybe twice as much as from previous years. For easy numbers from attending 10 to, say 20.

If a candidate gets 20 interviews (or a 134 for what matters) he will only match, if he does match, at one. A candidate with so many calls, should be a solid one, probably highly ranked by most. He will match at one institution only. This leaves the remaining 19 programs with a dud. Everyone moves up a rank in the list. Most programs will not call so much more many applicants as they have "filled their slots".

I do not know if a buch of people hearding interviews in that manner is, by itself, a reason to worry If you have been able to secure 3 or 4 ivs.This is under the assumption that the above described actually occurs. And if it does then also the program fill rate should not be 99% as years before.

Or maybe not. Things to think about in a delirious post call state.

I am starting to think that there is an enormous bias towards FMG's. Not only do I NOT need a visa because I'm now a citizen but I have multiple publications in JACC and NEJM plus a few posters, etc. and a degree in clinical research. I have only received TWO invites! I'm sorry I was born in another country but I do not suck! LOL OHhh and i've scored well above 225 on all 3 steps. K thanks! Life does not make sense anymore!

A friend of mine who NEEDS a visa, has NO research and is from my batch received 7 IV's!!!

Someone please explain!!!!!????!!!???
Feeling seriously defeated...........

I may go cry in a corner now! HAHA

I am starting to think that there is an enormous bias towards FMG's. Not only do I NOT need a visa because I'm now a citizen but I have multiple publications in JACC and NEJM plus a few posters, etc. and a degree in clinical research. I have only received TWO invites! I'm sorry I was born in another country but I do not suck! LOL OHhh and i've scored well above 225 on all 3 steps. K thanks! Life does not make sense anymore!

A friend of mine who NEEDS a visa, has NO research and is from my batch received 7 IV's!!!

Someone please explain!!!!!????!!!???
Feeling seriously defeated...........

I may go cry in a corner now! HAHA

So your visa bound "friend" got a better deal and you think there is a bias against foreigners? It doesn't make sense to me.

Having multiple publications in JACC could make you look like a cards applicant with a fail safe strategy in PCCM.

Btw the remark "Not only do I NOT need a visa because I'm now a citizen" makes me dubious on your post. If you're a recently naturalized citizen, you had (there is no way around it) a green card for some years before. During those you didn't need no visa. Not requiring a visa should be no news to you.