O Canada Maritime applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jesswise

Sucker for a pretty girl
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't found this yet, so I thought I'd start it:

Who's applying to the Maritime schools? (MUN and Dal)

Anyone with experiences to share, feedback, etc?

One observation I have made from Dal's website is that if you're in the Maritime applicant pool, your statistical chances are pretty good, like 1 in 3. They interview all Maritime applicants who meet the minimum requirements, and that number was around 210 last year, for 65 spots in school. Pretty good chances, it seems.

Anyone with more knowledge, info, questions?

Jess

Members don't see this ad.

bump

are there no maritimers on this board?

Being from New Brunswick you have an excellent chance of getting in to either Dal or MUN. The NB government funds spots at both schools. You have the best odds of getting a spot of anyone in the country.

I graduated from Dal a few years ago, both Dal and MUN are fine med schools.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated from MUN this past Spring... feel free to ask any questions... I'm originally from California and now doing residency in Vancouver.

Great to "see" you both!

Would love to ask lots of questions...

Surfer - I too am an American, but live here in NB now. How was your experience in NFLD? I have a family (wife, 3 daughters) so quality of life issues are huge for me. I am leaning toward MUN in advance of interviews, because I tend to think that smaller class and smaller community will be better for the fam. Of course, I know very little about the 2 schools comparatively, and I have yet to visit either one. What where your first impressions, in the interview and on arrival, and did your 4 year experience bear them out? Any insider tips for interview or school?

Tussy- Dal has the advantage of being much closer to my home in NB, and I could possibly leave the fam here and come home on weekends. Insane? Plausible? Also, Dal seems to favor NB applicants statistically compared to MUN. Would you also share your interview and arrival first impressions, and then your overall experience?

I know it's hard to distill 4 years of school into a brief summary, but I would love to hear about your experiences. Thanks for posting.

Jess

Hey Jess!

Well, Newfoundland was a very, very new experience for me, coming from Southern California. It took a little getting adjusted to in terms of frrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeezing winters with umpteen feet of snow, shoveling my car out way in advance of going to school... but if you get past the weather, I found Newfoundland to be a wonderful place... beautiful if you like scenic views.. small town atmosphere.. and the people are sooooooooooo one of a kind.. soooo nice, easy going, nil crime, ... of course very little diversity, but all in all, I had a great experience there. I remember complaining about how much I wanted out of there during the harsh winters, but looking back it was a wonderful experience that I wouldn't have traded for anything. In terms of a family... I believe it's very conducive without a doubt.. we had a few guys/gals in our class with children.. and both were not originally from Newfoundland.. one from CA as well who married a Newfoundlander and one from Ontario...

Feel free to email me for specifics RE interview... I remember filling out a feedback thing online on one of the websites.. I'll see if I can find it for ya. Of the top of my head, I will say that the interview may make up to half of your chance of admission so it's pretty big. But the process was very laid back and relaxing... the interviews was incredibly low key and low stress...

pm me and I'll tell you more...

Jeff

Oh, btw, since MUN pretty much filtered out the US applicant pool which was maximum 15 at one time (now like 2 or so), the number of NBers has really skyrocketed!

Jeff