NYU vs Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Annie May

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I know there is some older posts similar to this but nothing recent. I'm struggling to decide between Pitt and NYU. I love the facilities and opportunities at NYU (plus I have some family nearby), but I worry about the competitiveness and difficulty getting personalized attention from faculty. Pitt's small class size is definitely a plus, but I'm not sure how well known Pitt is to the west coast for getting into specialty programs (I'm from CA). If anyone has any thoughts or goes to either school please respond! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I know there is some older posts similar to this but nothing recent. I'm struggling to decide between Pitt and NYU. I love the facilities and opportunities at NYU (plus I have some family nearby), but I worry about the competitiveness and difficulty getting personalized attention from faculty. Pitt's small class size is definitely a plus, but I'm not sure how well known Pitt is to the west coast for getting into specialty programs (I'm from CA). If anyone has any thoughts or goes to either school please respond! Thanks!

Not sure about specialty programs but looking at the price tag I would go to Pitt. Its a lot cheaper than NYU and the class size is smaller. NYU is not known for churning out high percentage of speciality. So I wouldnt worry about it. As a city, NYC is nicer than Pittsburgh but also a lot more expensive.

Conclusion: Pitt is a better choice vs. NYU based on price, faculty to student ratio and smaller class size.

hey I'm from CA also. i am a bit concerned about practicing in CA later but my tactic is to apply for residency and try to get back to CA.

Last edited: