NYCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
planning to commute from nyc...starting first year. pm me if anyone is interested in carpooling.

planning to commute from manhattan...starting first year. pm me if anyone is interested in carpooling.

Members don't see this ad :)
do we need to prepare in any way for aug 13? do we need to buy equipment and have it beforehand?

i heard something about.. during orientation.. ur big brother/sister will give you an idea of what textbook and equipment to get so i dont think we need it right away.. not too sure.

You don't need anything for orientation. Don't buy anything until you meet with your big brother/sister - they will tell you exactly what is necessary.

what about Bate's Guide to Physical Dx, its in the NYCOM hand book as a required text to start reading now. IS everyone buying and reading it?

xtina- i can tell you for a fact that i wont be reading anything until school starts

what about Bate's Guide to Physical Dx, its in the NYCOM hand book as a required text to start reading now. IS everyone buying and reading it?

I'm a fourth year and I don't own that book. I've felt the need to read something from it maybe a handful of times (mostly during second year) so I skimmed it over in the library. It's not a bad book, just not one that I felt that I needed to buy.

Thanks for the responses. I guess i'll wait it out till school starts and then decide.

Did anybody receive their Financial Aid Award Letter. I received the packet that told me what to do to obtain financial aid and the steps I needed to follow but, didn't receive the actual award letter yet.

I believe we fill those forms out first then send it back and we'll be receiving the award letter somewhere around the end of July. Personally when I called, they told me the middle of July but someone here on the forums said end of July. So we'll see.

When I called a while back they told me the beginning of July after July 4th weekend, so I'm not sure which it is lol. I will try and e-mail the office today and see if I can get an answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I finished to medprep program not too long ago and just recieved my official acceptance letter today:D! All praises to Jesus Christ! Now, I get sit back, relax and enjoy the rest of the summer!

same. I know four or five others from medprep who were also accepted.

What do you hear in the grapevine? I am still curious to know more about MedPrep! How many people that was invited to this program, and out of which, how many make it? Did bowlin123, et al make it?

Last edited:
It was a very large group...probably around 50 students or so....maybe more. I did talk to bowlin123 during the course, however, I haven't spoken to him since the class ended. I would assume he got in, however, seeing as he was doing better than I was, and I got in. The four or five people that I got to be really close with called/texted me as soon as we found out, so that was how I knew about them. As for the rest, I'm just going to have to wait for classes to start to see who got in! Though I would honestly be shocked if someone didn't get in, because everyone worked their butts off.

It was a very large group...probably around 50 students or so....maybe more. I did talk to bowlin123 during the course, however, I haven't spoken to him since the class ended. I would assume he got in, however, seeing as he was doing better than I was, and I got in. The four or five people that I got to be really close with called/texted me as soon as we found out, so that was how I knew about them. As for the rest, I'm just going to have to wait for classes to start to see who got in! Though I would honestly be shocked if someone didn't get in, because everyone worked their butts off.

Wow! Last year the class was in the 20s and now in the 50s? Jeezzz!!! I would be surprise if they admitted everyone, but then why wouldn't everyone be admitted if they weren't compete against each other as they have done in years past? After all, isn't the only requirement to maintain a B-average?

But anyhow: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

If anyone who just got in is still looking for a place, myself and two other girls have the cutest four bedroom apartment, two floors, has a washer and dryer and right by the avalon apartments so its like 5-8mins from nycom. but best of all its only $530. message me asap if interested.
ps...we need only one girl who loves to study:thumbup: and No partying:thumbdown:...

Wow! Last year the class was in the 20s and now in the 50s? Jeezzz!!! I would be surprise if they admitted everyone, but then why wouldn't everyone be admitted if they weren't compete against each other as they have done in years past? After all, isn't the only requirement to maintain a B-average?

But anyhow: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

You had to pass. Passing was above a 70.

You had to pass. Passing was above a 70.

That's great!!! At least you didn't have to compete against each other...Whether you make it or not is contingent upon yourself: that is getting at least 70 average, which to me is a great deal! After all, passing in most medical school is 70 or above!

Called Nycom yesterday to ask questions about the waitlist. I gave them my name and they said they would tell the committee that I am still interested. No more than 5 min later, the lady calls me back and says, "sometimes timing is everything." I got in! Thank god, I was about to start Tourocom-NY on monday!

Called Nycom yesterday to ask questions about the waitlist. I gave them my name and they said they would tell the committee that I am still interested. No more than 5 min later, the lady calls me back and says, "sometimes timing is everything." I got in! Thank god, I was about to start Tourocom-NY on monday!

wow congrats!

oh wow. You must be in realll good mood rite now. thats very lucky!! congratss:thumbup:

just looked at the entire course schedule for 2014, a little scary. its kind of annoying how they have the entire exam schedule worked out but not financial aid :mad:

I just got in off the waitlist. Would it be possible for someone with access to the schedule to share it or PM it to me.

do we need to fill out the student parking application now? or we can do it during orientation week?

Question for you folks. I've been accepted since March, but I haven't received any orientation, schedule, or parking information. I've set up an account with an email address for NYCOM and filled in financial aid paperwork, but that's it.

How are you all so in the loop? I've tried calling NYCOM and I keep getting a voicemail and they have yet to return my calls. This is sort of a depressing way to start out this little med school experience. Anyone else in the same boat?

If anyone who just got in is still looking for a place, myself and two other girls have the cutest four bedroom apartment, two floors, has a washer and dryer and right by the avalon apartments so its like 5-8mins from nycom. but best of all its only $530. message me asap if interested.
ps...we need only one girl who loves to study:thumbup: and No partying:thumbdown:...
Are you still looking for a girl? If so, i'm interested. You can contact me at [email protected]

Just found out I got in! I got the phone call while IN TouroCOM Orientation. I'm choosing NYCOM though. If any females are looking to room with someone in the Glen Cove area, message me! :)

good luck to the rest!

just looked at the entire course schedule for 2014, a little scary. its kind of annoying how they have the entire exam schedule worked out but not financial aid :mad:

yeah it is... just realized i have a wedding the weekend before a whole set of monday exams... guess I'm not going to the wedding! lol

do we need to fill out the student parking application now? or we can do it during orientation week?

You could prob wait till orientation week, but I'll prob go a few days before so I have it done beforehand.

Just found out I got in! I got the phone call while IN TouroCOM Orientation. I'm choosing NYCOM though. If any females are looking to room with someone in the Glen Cove area, message me! :)

good luck to the rest!

Awesome! Congrats! See you in a few weeks! :)

Update, lol, I just called security about ID cards and parking permits. They said you need a copy of your schedule to get the ID and then your license, registration and ID card for the permit... so he said most people do it the day of orientation. So I'll just wait till then.

Question for you folks. I've been accepted since March, but I haven't received any orientation, schedule, or parking information. I've set up an account with an email address for NYCOM and filled in financial aid paperwork, but that's it.

How are you all so in the loop? I've tried calling NYCOM and I keep getting a voicemail and they have yet to return my calls. This is sort of a depressing way to start out this little med school experience. Anyone else in the same boat?

Yes. I haven't heard anything else since doing exactly what you've done as well nycomdude.

However, I did find this academic school year's OMS1 course/exam schedule on the NYCOM webboard, and the orientation handbook.

What I'm mainly waiting on is financial aid and parking pretty much.

Parking is a non-issue. I've had a few different cars since starting at NYCOM and only ever put a sticker on the first one. Have never had a problem.

You can take care of parking during orientation.

Just talked to the financial aid office.

Good News:
They said they are working on the award letters right now so they should be sending them out pretty soon :D

Bad News:
The award letters are nothing more than information. There is nothing to accept or deny in those letters. The actual money will come in after school starts and we'll be able to accept/deny loans then. :thumbdown:thumbdown
Also, there is a chance that a lot of people might not get GradPLUS loans at all. Even though NYCOM certifies it, she said that there's a chance that Direct Loan can deny them (based on credit ratings), and there's nothing NYCOM or we can do about it.

soooo yeah.....

Did you guys enroll in your "NYIT Ebill"? I keep getting emails from them.

Just talked to the financial aid office.

Good News:
They said they are working on the award letters right now so they should be sending them out pretty soon :D

Bad News:
The award letters are nothing more than information. There is nothing to accept or deny in those letters. The actual money will come in after school starts and we'll be able to accept/deny loans then. :thumbdown:thumbdown
Also, there is a chance that a lot of people might not get GradPLUS loans at all. Even though NYCOM certifies it, she said that there's a chance that Direct Loan can deny them (based on credit ratings), and there's nothing NYCOM or we can do about it.

soooo yeah.....

awesome! I'm so glad I have a credit card with a $3000 limit so I can buy all the stuff I need before school starts since we're not getting the money till then. haha loveee that financial aid dept! :p

Stupid question.. but so if they aren't ready with the financial aid by when school starts.. we don't have to pay the tuition ourselves right? We just have to take care of our own living expenses and such for now..?

where are you seeing that financial aid came out/how can I access the information?

on the nyit site or the nycom site?? I logged in on the nyit site but still can't find it.

nyit regular site -----> mynit ------> nyit connect -------> student menu ------> financial information.

did you check "financial aid status by year"? or maybe they are in the process of putting up everyone's information up and it is going to take a few days. check back tomorrow?

did you check "financial aid status by year"? or maybe they are in the process of putting up everyone's information up and it is going to take a few days. check back tomorrow?

Yeah mine isn't up either. They prob are doing it the way u described. Hopefully 2morro! :)