NYC Programs D.O. Friendly or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angryazn88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just wondering if any D.O. students applying to pediatrics have gotten any interviews within the last couple of years at either NYU, NY Pres, or Mt. Sinai. I most likely will be applying to PM&R and Pediatrics so I want to see if its worth my time and energy to apply to pediatrics at those programs. Those 3 programs are D.O.-friendly when it comes to PM&R so I don't want to hurt my chances at the PM&R programs there. I know the departments within the same hospital communicate so I don't want to lower my chances into either of the programs. If the pediatrics program never interviews D.O.'s then I won't bother applying to them. Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I was just wondering if any D.O. students applying to pediatrics have gotten any interviews within the last couple of years at either NYU, NY Pres, or Mt. Sinai. I most likely will be applying to PM&R and Pediatrics so I want to see if its worth my time and energy to apply to pediatrics at those programs. Those 3 programs are D.O.-friendly when it comes to PM&R so I don't want to hurt my chances at the PM&R programs there. I know the departments within the same hospital communicate so I don't want to lower my chances into either of the programs. If the pediatrics program never interviews D.O.'s then I won't bother applying to them. Any input is appreciated, thanks!

from what I've seen, none of the name brand NYC peds programs are DO friendly. Cohen Children's (Long Island Jewish) is the only area university program I've seen accept DO's, but it is becoming more competitive each year, especially since LIJ now has its own allopathic program. I don't know much about Montefiore, but perhaps they take DO's. SUNY Downstate takes DO's but my understanding is that it is a classic city sweatshop, and the new york public hospitals are an absolute disaster.

also... I'm curious about this issue myself so SDNers with knowledge, please chime in. I have a very strong step 1 (250+) and want to match peds in NYC or a city/close suburb in CA as a DO. I was told that the manhattan name programs won't look at DOs.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
In the last 6 years, NYU has only taken one DO resident and she did a sub-internship there.

also... I'm curious about this issue myself so SDNers with knowledge, please chime in. I have a very strong step 1 (250+) and want to match peds in NYC or a city/close suburb in CA as a DO. I was told that the manhattan name programs won't look at DOs.

A step 1 score that probably trumps most of those accepted into these programs but won't get a sniff because of the D.O. thing. Ain't that a B. Oh well...