What does a competitive applicant for desirable NYC programs look like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SleepingPillow

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Please forgive me if this post comes off as clueless, I am a rising medical student interested in going to NYC for residency in peds.

I know I am still VERY early to be asking this, but I just wanted to get an idea of what a competitive applicant for peds looks like? I will most likely be going to a mid-tier midwest MD school with a top pediatrics hospital, so I hope to get some nice research opportunities and connections. Going to NYC is a dream of mine, so I thought going there for residency would be a good life experience! I saw Columbia/Cornell on a few of these threads for top NYC programs, how about some others?

I probably risked sounding like a HS student asking about top medical schools, sorry about that! This is all mostly for curiosity's sake while I have nothing to do before starting school. Pediatrics is the main reason why I got interested in medicine so I am fairly certain that's what I want to do, but I know things can change during med school.

Members don't see this ad.