NY programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OL17

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone provide some feedback on NYU vs. Maimonides vs. SUNY Downstate, especially if one wants to do a subsequent peds fellowship? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Of those three listed, I'd say that NYU is clearly the most competitive/prestigious. I can't speak to the details of their program because I didn't interview there. I'm sure that residents do well in terms of getting fellowships, especially as they can go on to NYU fellowships (general academic pediatrics, developmental pediatrics, emergency medicine, cardiology, endocrinology, hematology-oncology, neonatology, infectious disease and genetics) or apply elsewhere.

I did interview at SUNY and Maimo, though. SUNY is great if you like to hit the ground running. The residents were very nice and showed a lot of camaraderie the day I was there, and the teaching and academics seemed OK. Again, being a university hospital, they have their own fellowships. Personally, the whole "trial by fire" thing isn't my cup of tea.

Maimo is an excellent community program and again I think you can do well coming from there in terms of fellowships.

By the way, there are also a lot of other NY programs. How'd you pick these three in particular?

did anyone interview at nymc in westchester, ny? i never hear anyone mention it. thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for your reply. The reason I asked about those programs is because, from what I heard, they are DO friendly (esp. Maimonides). I am definitely interested in other programs in the area, but I am not sure if they take DO's or if I'm competitive enough of a candidate (ie. for Cornell, Columbia, Einstein, Mt. Sinai). Can you suggest any other DO friendly programs in the area? Thanks again.

Also, what do you know about the Beth Israel/Long Island Medical Center (Einstein) program?

There was a couple of threads on DOs in peds on this forum a while back (one is called "DO in NY", the other "Is it hard for DOs to get pediatric residencies?").

Generally, there are quite a few DO hospitals here, but I honestly do not think that you need to limit yourself to them, unless you want to. Programs that I know have osteopathic residencies or I met DOs at included St. Barnabas (in the Bronx) and Monmouth (in New Jersey). I did not go to the Beth Israel/Einstein Newark program. I think UMDNJ has a several programs as well - aren't they a DO school? I don't know how geographically limited you are.

New Jersey Quota Matched

Atlantic Health Sys-NJ 12 9
Newark Beth Israel-NJ 6 5
St Josephs Hosp-NJ 12 7
UMDNJ-New Jersey Med-Newark 16 13

New York Quota Matched

Harlem Hospital Ctr-NY 8 6
Nassau Univ Med Ctr-NY 10 9
St Barnabas Hosp-NY 4 1
St Vincents Hosp-NY 5 2
Winthrop-Univ Hosp-NY 8 7

Program Unfilled/Quota
Jersey Shore 2/4
Monmouth 4/4
UMDNJ - Newark 6/17
UMDNJ - Camden 4/5
Einstein/Jacobi - 3/13
Flushing Hosp. - 5/6
Harlem Hosp - 3/7
NY Methodist - 1/4
St Vincents - 2/5

Program Unfilled/Quota
UMDNJ - camden 3/5
UMDNJ - newark 12/16
Harlem Hosp 2/7
Bronx Lebanon-primary - 2/3
NY Methodist-primary - 2/5

Of course, just these numbers don't mean a whole lot by themselves. But I think you can see trends.

For example, NY Methodist (where I am going, just for the sake of full disclosure) didn't fill in prior years, but did this year. Partly, I attribute this to them getting a new PD who I think has made a lot of positive changes and seems very approachable and responsive to resident concerns. I think that very much came across in the interactions I've had with him and people in the program.

St Barnabas is a new program and I'm not completely surprised that it didn't fill seeing as it lacks a track record and that the neighborhood it's in is kind of scary [I know I would feel uncomfortable at night -- I guess it's OK if you live in Westchester and drive to work, though] -- although I am surprised that it filled that little.

I'm also surprised that St. Vincent's didn't fill again this year. Someone in their program told me that they don't interview IMGs anymore and that they considered this program "up and coming" -- whatever that means. Maybe they got cocky and made their list too short.

That said, I honestly think that a lot of PDs don't realize at how many programs people interview and that that may be why they come up short.

Still, the overall fill trend in peds is lower than last year, but still higher than any of the years before that.

Year Positions Filled % Open
1998 2196/27 1.2%
1999 2254/31 1.3%
2000 2282/110 4.8%
2001 2276/74 3.3%
2002 2341/223 9.5%
2003 2349/142 6.1%

What's up? Are the candidates worse or are the programs not making their lists long enough?

nychick,

u should become the peds' forum moderator. ur insight here is truly appreciated.

You have to remember that the number of applications to peds has been down over the past two years. Last year, the number of peds applications dropped dramatically which resulted in the huge number of unfilled spots last year. This year, I'm told that there number of applications are about the same as they were last year.

Hi NYchick,
I thought there were only 50 unfilled posts this year in Peds.Correct me if I am wrong.
GM

It's 142 spots in 50 programs.

You have to remember that the number of applications to peds has been down over the past two years. Last year, the number of peds applications dropped dramatically which resulted in the huge number of unfilled spots last year. This year, I'm told that there number of applications are about the same as they were last year.

Good point, Ponyboy. I wasn't looking at it from that side of the equation. But again, if you are a PD, at the end of the day, you know who you saw and you know you have to fill your spots somehow. Having interviewed candidates, you know what is available to you, and wouldn't you rather fill your spots with those people than someone you got in the scramble essentially sight unseen? Or do you believe PDs are hoping to snag candidates that end up "migrating" to Peds not having matched in "more competitive" specialties?

Also, how did you figure out what the number of apps was this year and last? Is this information given out by the NRMP? I've only seen aggregate figures for all applications, i.e. not broken out by specialty. It would certainly be interesting to know more, if you can share it...