NSU KPCOM advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SweetBurger

cowbell
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say that your only acceptance is at NSU KPCOM.
Given the issues in recent years with regards to COMLEX pass rates and 4-7% (2018,2019) of students not matching (along with ambiguous match list which list ~30 students going transitional rotating year).
Would you attend Nova or go for reapplication MD + DO (with more DO schools this time)

thnx
@Goro and anyone else willing to give input

Members don't see this ad.

Let's say that your only acceptance is at NSU KPCOM.
Given the issues in recent years with regards to COMLEX pass rates and 4-7% (2018,2019) of students not matching (along with ambiguous match list which list ~30 students going transitional rotating year).
Would you attend Nova or go for reapplication MD + DO (with more DO schools this time)

thnx
@Goro and anyone else willing to give input

What are you stats if you don't mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a good idea to forfeit a medical school acceptance

Given your stats, why don’t you have an MD acceptance?

anyway, you’ve demonstrated that you’re a good student. Nova will not hold you back, given you bring your A game. I wouldn’t be concerned.
according to feedback from sdn adcoms I am a poor interviewee. i thought maybe it was my low community service hours. If I go I certaintly will bring my A game I just dont want to end up in this position again when it comes time to match and I get the shorter end of the stick

according to feedback from sdn adcoms I am a poor interviewee. i thought maybe it was my low community service hours. If I go I certaintly will bring my A game I just dont want to end up in this position again when it comes time to match and I get the shorter end of the stick

you’ll be fine, despite all the flak Nova has been getting here by people, they matched 6 students in my specialty this year, which is arguably one of the most competitive specialties. I went to Nova and graduated in 2013. Me and most of my classmates did fine. In retrospect, for DO schools, the only other schools I’d consider going to over Nova are DMU, KCUMB, OUCOM, MSUCOM,, and OSUCOM, perhaps LECOM due to their tuition, because debt is real.

Reactions: 1 users
you’ll be fine, despite all the flak Nova has been getting here by people, they matched 6 students in my specialty this year, which is arguably one of the most competitive specialties. I went to Nova and graduated in 2013. Me and most of my classmates did fine. In retrospect, for DO schools, the only other schools I’d consider going to over Nova are DMU, KCUMB, OUCOM, MSUCOM,, and OSUCOM, perhaps LECOM due to their tuition, because debt is real.
This is out of touch to the recent developments at NOVA.
Add about 10 additional schools to your list.

Reactions: 2 users
I’d reapply for MD w those stats. Save yourself the trouble of learning omm, taking 2 boards and having to explain what a DO is

Reactions: 1 user
The school is accepting borderline candidates. Clearly that’s not the OP

With your stats, I would reapply MD and DO. You’ll be black listed at Nova but who cares. There used to be the echo chamber that you’d be blacklisted from all DO but there has been more than a few people on this forum that makes me question if it’s true. I would forfeit the acceptance, spend a year increasing your application competitiveness, and then reapply. You are MD caliber stat wise. Don’t shoot yourself in the foot if you don’t need to.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
With your stats, I would reapply MD and DO. You’ll be black listed at Nova but who cares. There used to be the echo chamber that you’d be blacklisted from all DO but there has been more than a few people on this forum that makes me question if it’s true. I would forfeit the acceptance, spend a year increasing your application competitiveness, and then reapply. You are MD caliber stat wise. Don’t shoot yourself in the foot if you don’t need to.
Does a rejection get you blacklisted as well if you apply next cycle again?

Depends on the reason for rejection.....
The letter didn't specificy. Just said there are many well qualified applicants and the committee has to choose the best. I'm pretty sure it was my Mcat score.

yeah applied to 27 MD programs
With that many MD schools you applied to, I think you have had a decent try at MDs already. If you do not get off the MD waitlists this cycle, just take the DO path to be honest.

yeah applied to 27 MD programs
If it’s due to poor application outside of stats then beef that up and try again. Did you apply to schools strategically?

If I were in your shoes this is what I would be thinking:

Am I willing to reapply knowing the stats of reapplicants?

Is there anything I can change on my application from last time?

Was I content with going to Nova before having to think about this decision?

As you said before, being waitlisted at 6 programs may show that you were a poor interviewer and/or your extracurriculars were not enough. What have you done or will do to change these two aspects? Nova gave you an acceptance and I myself would be thinking that this school is willing to take a chance on me when no other schools haven't yet. I would accept and be prepared to matriculate until being moved off of an MD waitlist. The application cycle to me was not fun and I wouldn't want to repeat that as a reapplicant no matter what my stats were when you can go to a school (which is a beautiful one to say the least) now.

If it’s due to poor application outside of stats then beef that up and try again. Did you apply to schools strategically?
i tried to. I didnt pick any school with a median MCAT >515 to apply to. Tried to pick schools based on mission. I had 7 interviews I honestly think it might be a mix of interview performance and EC hours

i tried to. I didnt pick any school with a median MCAT >515 to apply to. Tried to pick schools based on mission. I had 7 interviews I honestly think it might be a mix of interview performance and EC hours

7 ii --> no acceptance, definitely suggest improving interview skills.

but you're on 6 WLs? still definitely have hope

• Love

Now 7 interview and no acceptance then yes it sounds like an interview problem. You have the stats and EC to at least get an interview at 7 MD schools. There’s the old saying every 3 interviews should net 1 acceptance. So I’m guessing it’s your interview skills. Or you were not very convincing in your story/why medicine. If you are on 6 waitlists then you certainly have hope

If I were in your position I would probably reapply to MD+DO but with a much broader school list. Despite what some people have said in the past, I highly doubt that DO adcoms circulate some internal excel sheet with a list of applicants that have turned down acceptances. I simply can't imagine they care that much or have that sort of time. I've seen many anecdotal stories of people reapplying after turning down DO acceptances and still netting many DO acceptances the following cycle, and have hardly seen any anecdotes to the contrary.

From your sig it seems that you only applied to 3 DO schools, so I think if you applied to a fair number of them next app cycle, you'd get into a solid number of established DO schools to choose from. A broader list of MD schools would probably help too.

With that being said, I don't think anyone here knows your specific life situation. E.g. I'm a slightly older applicant (late mid-twenties) that is also DO accepted with multiple MD waitlists. If I were like 22-23 yo, I would happily reapply to try for the MD acceptance. But given that I'm already married and possibly even having kids soon, waiting another year just isn't reasonable for me or my family.

Anyways, 6 waitlists means you're statistically very likely to have an acceptance by the time school starts, so hopefully you won't even have to reapply!

The problem with OP reapplying DO is most of the schools I applied to asked on secondaries if you were ever accepted to a United States medical school before.

OP your chances are great with 6 waitlists. And with your stats if you had to reapply I would just apply MD anyway.

just thought id update if anyone stumbles on this.
I ended up getting 2 MD A's right after 4/30.
I really dont know what it boils down to (why I was chosen eventually??). I'm just going to make sure I work on my interviewing skills so it doesnt bite me in the butt when it comes time for residency interviews.

Reactions: 5 users
I really dont know what it boils down to (why I was chosen eventually??). I'm just going to make sure I work on my interviewing skills so it doesnt bite me in the butt when it comes time for residency interviews.
had a feeling you'd get off the waitlist with 6 WLs!
awesome, congrats!

Reactions: 2 users

I think with the new traffic rules the last couple of years schools have been waitlisting more. There are a lot of people on SDN with several WLs. So maybe your interview skills aren’t that bad. But in either case congrats on your acceptances! I’ve seen you in the Florida school threads during the app cycle.