NSU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got that email on April 10 and I am an alternate. I played around with what it says to do and the system would give me a pin but not allow me to do anything else. On the other side, I never got the "NSU Update" email about still wanting to remain on the alternate list. I contacted Ellen Rondino to let her know I wanted to stay on.

Members don't see this ad.

If anyone has specific questions about Nova Southeastern please feel free to send me a PM. I just polished off my M2 year and am studying like a demon for boards, so I'm not your best bet for generic application info and may take a few days to respond. But please don't hesitate to ask questions! More than anything, I regret not asking more questions of current students at each school to which I was applying.

Remember, that you are shopping for a school. The application process reinforces the idea that you should feel grateful to get the opportunity to spend a few hundred thousand $, and sometimes that's true. But you are a customer and it would do us all a bit of good if we acted a bit more like we weren't waiting for scraps to be thrown from the table. Some people don't get any options. Most get a few. Put as much time into deciding where you want to be, and who you think will give you the best education, as you do choosing where you think you'll get admitted. Be realistic about how competitive you are, then choose the school that you think is most deserving of what will be damn near a million dollars after you pay the interest (no joke).

Interview day is not the best place to get info from current students. That is best done privately so you can hear the good and the bad. That said, when you hear complaining from students, remember that med school is a steaming pot and there will always be complaining no matter how good the school. Get a bunch of opinions, filter them all, see how the school treats you during the application process (which I think is very telling), then trust your gut.

Applications are worse than M1 and M1 is much worse than M2. Let's hope the trend continues :)

Good luck to everyone!! This whole process is a marathon. Most people who don't go to med school take themselves out of the race. They hated O-chem, didn't want to take the MCAT, didn't apply after getting a lower score than they'd like, apply only to UWash St. Louis and Harvard, or don't reapply if they don't get admitted the first year. So all those daunting percentages are actually very much in your favor! Just. keep. going... :)

Wow, I am quite verbose when I don't want to study biochem.
T

I actually got the automated email twice; once in early April about a week after email re alternate status. Then again a few days later. Then the "do you still want to be alternate" email.
very confused.
heard from a reputable source- an alumni who is on the board of one of the Miami- Nova linked hospitals (who of course I met just recently, after the app cycle!)- they messed up their yield and now have 7 acceptances over the class size.
No idea if this is common or not... I remember in undergrad (like ten years ago) someone patented an algorithm to predict yield....

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread has gone quiet! I guess everyone is just waiting....

For those accepted, where are you all looking to live? I've checked out the graduate student housing and may do that but also want to look around at apartments. Does anyone know of quality apartments in the area, or if the student housing is nice?

For those accepted, where are you all looking to live? I've checked out the graduate student housing and may do that but also want to look around at apartments. Does anyone know of quality apartments in the area, or if the student housing is nice?

I liked Palm Trace (which is right next to school, but still bike riding/driving distance). Many people live in Sunforest or Sundance which is right across the street from NSU (walking distance). There are some 1 bedroom apartments which include utilities across from NSU called Cameron Cove. Other nice apartments around that are within 5 miles of NSU are Gatehouse on the Green, The Palms, New River Cove and some others. But the ones I have mentioned I liked the most.

I liked Palm Trace (which is right next to school, but still bike riding/driving distance). Many people live in Sunforest or Sundance which is right across the street from NSU (walking distance). There are some 1 bedroom apartments which include utilities across from NSU called Cameron Cove. Other nice apartments around that are within 5 miles of NSU are Gatehouse on the Green, The Palms, New River Cove and some others. But the ones I have mentioned I liked the most.

The Laurels at Jacaranda was nice also...

Thank you both for your input! I'll definitely give a look at all the places you've mentioned.

Myself and two other guys in C/o 2014 will be living in Palm Trace. It seemed the best of the places we visited in terms of balance between comfortable living and quiet but also social. I must have looked at over 12 places (homes and complexes) and decided on Palm Trace.

Myself and two other guys in C/o 2014 will be living in Palm Trace. It seemed the best of the places we visited in terms of balance between comfortable living and quiet but also social. I must have looked at over 12 places (homes and complexes) and decided on Palm Trace.

The day I was about to lease palm trace, I took a last minute look at a privately owned condo and loved it, so decided to move there. But otherwise, we would have been neighbors. I liked palm trace a lot. I liked the convenience of everything around Palm Trace and that it was less than 1.5 miles from campus.

Good to know. I need to get down there soon and lock something up.

Good to know. I need to get down there soon and lock something up.

Yeah, I'd get on it soon. These places fill up pretty fast. When I went to Palm Trace they were running about 95% occupancy. Sunforest was about the same.

does anyone have any news about the alternate list? Yesterday, I called & asked they said the class start in 2010 is not fill yet. Anyone got accept recently? Do I need intent letter?:xf:

does anyone have any news about the alternate list? Yesterday, I called & asked they said the class start in 2010 is not fill yet. Anyone got accept recently? Do I need intent letter?:xf:

It could not hurt to write a Letter of Intent at this point....Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Which one did you like better?

If I was living with only one other person I would have picked Sunforest b/c of location. For three people total Palm Trace was an easy compromise to take because it was pretty awesome as well.

anyone hear any news about the waitlist?? Someone has to know something

I have heard some unsubstantiated rumors from sources that I really do not know, so they are not worth repeating on this forum (mainly because they could be blatantly incorrect). But It definitely seems to be awfully quiet lately!

I talked to Mrs. Rondino today and she told me the list was not going to move until the beggining of June and the earliest. Last year they were calling kids off the waitlist up to and on the first day of school. i know of someone that was called 3 days before school started.

I just logged into my Webstar and I don't have an application status anymore...has this happened to anyone else?

Btw my status had said alternate since March 25

I just logged into my Webstar and I don't have an application status anymore...has this happened to anyone else?

I just checked mine...maybe their in the process of changing it! fingers crossed for you!

I'm still listed as an alternate. Hard to say whether that's good or bad for you. I would lean towards the good side, as I'm pretty sure they don't just permanently cut people off the wait-list before school starts (unless they request such).

Could be an error as well.

false alarm....my webstar says alternate status again. I wonder if it was a program error...

Hey NSU kids

Currently waitlisted...just curious when orientation starts

Orientation starts August 2nd. Hopefully you will hear good news before 8/2/10.

Thnx...I'm hoping! starting orientation at LECOM-B the week before crrraaaap!

Has anyone else here had any issues with their financial aid? I went onto my Sharklink account and they had the COA breakdowns and it indicated that for an out of state/off-campus student that my COA is around $82,000. However, the office of financial aid is telling me that it is 72,950. Anyone else here that is an out of state/off-campus student would could tell me if this is the same COA financial aid is giving them would be appreciated.

Has anyone else here had any issues with their financial aid? I went onto my Sharklink account and they had the COA breakdowns and it indicated that for an out of state/off-campus student that my COA is around $82,000. However, the office of financial aid is telling me that it is 72,950. Anyone else here that is an out of state/off-campus student would could tell me if this is the same COA financial aid is giving them would be appreciated.

Mine is also 82k, I believe the difference is in the amount of money they are giving you for room/board

Mine is also 82k, I believe the difference is in the amount of money they are giving you for room/board
Holy ****, this school is that ****ing expensive? Please tell me that is an inflated COA!!!

Yes it is inflated...Remember, not all of us are single students...Some of us are married with kids. The COA is a set amount for everyone, and the school is nice enough to set it high. It would be much worse if they set it low (because you can't get student loans over the COA maximum)...

Yes it is inflated...Remember, not all of us are single students...Some of us are married with kids. The COA is a set amount for everyone, and the school is nice enough to set it high. It would be much worse if they set it low (because you can't get student loans over the COA maximum)...
Would it be realistic to put the COA somewhere in the 60K's, if you are a single student willing to live frugally?

Would it be realistic to put the COA somewhere in the 60K's, if you are a single student willing to live frugally?

I would say it shouldn't be too hard to stay in the 60 range (especially if you are in state), but it all depends on how frugal you want to be.. :D

Most of us were given 57k in stafford loans, which I feel is good enough. Some will be taking out grad plus to cover some other stuff. Rent and utilities will be around 8k (palm trace 3bd), and 9k should be plenty for gas, food, beer, etc (for me). I think they did a good job

Most of us were given 57k in stafford loans, which I feel is good enough. Some will be taking out grad plus to cover some other stuff. Rent and utilities will be around 8k (palm trace 3bd), and 9k should be plenty for gas, food, beer, etc (for me). I think they did a good job
So, 57K in total? Say if, EFC was 0? What I'm asking is, was that your total expenses for the school in total? If so, that's pretty damn good.

So, 57K in total? Say if, EFC was 0? What I'm asking is, was that your total expenses for the school in total? If so, that's pretty damn good.

57k for stafford loans (subsidized and unsubsidized) and i received another 24k for grad plus loans. im not planning on using all of the money, but it is nice to have it there just in case.

57k for stafford loans (subsidized and unsubsidized) and i received another 24k for grad plus loans. im not planning on using all of the money, but it is nice to have it there just in case.
How much do you think you will use, or have used (will this be your first year?)? Thanks!

How much do you think you will use, or have used (will this be your first year?)? Thanks!

I am planning on keeping it around 60k (this is my first year). I decided to get the grad plus just in case I need extra money for emergencies.

If tuition is about 35k, that gives me about 2000 per month for rent/utilities/bills/food/gas and entertainment. this is about what i live on right now as it is anyways, so it shouldn't be too big of a problem. my biggest concern is being able to save money on food by cooking rather than eating out. i just hope i have enough time to cook decent meals every other day that would last me a few days. im sure it won't be a problem though.

I am planning on keeping it around 60k (this is my first year). I decided to get the grad plus just in case I need extra money for emergencies.

If tuition is about 35k, that gives me about 2000 per month for rent/utilities/bills/food/gas and entertainment. this is about what i live on right now as it is anyways, so it shouldn't be too big of a problem. my biggest concern is being able to save money on food by cooking rather than eating out. i just hope i have enough time to cook decent meals every other day that would last me a few days. im sure it won't be a problem though.
Tuition is 38K for out of state students. :(, but I get your point. Thanks for the help!

Just wondering if anybody has heard of anyone getting in off the waitlist yet...

I'm guessing no, and I really wish we'd have heard something by now.

Never thought I would see this day from NSU

Pulled off the Waitlist - ACCEPTED!!!!

Congratulations! How did they notify you? Has your Webstar changed?

Accepted off the wait list. I'm totally stunned. I was just getting ready to rewrite my personal statement. :love:

Edit: Notified via email

Last edited:
big congrats!! i also got in off the waitlist today..i'm in freak out mode! i'm from out-of-state..have you guys thought about housing?

Congrats to the guys who got pulled off the waitlist! Hope to see you guys in a ~month. As far as housing, here is a list an M1 made last year:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=8027873&postcount=306

Here's a list I made from this year:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=9768215&postcount=325

Also, there are people posting on facebook for rooms/apartments that are available as well. I think theres quite a few ppl in Laurels at Jacaranda, which was in the top 2 for the places i looked at. I'm out of state as well, so I know that looking for housing can be rough. Feel free to msg me if you have any questions about the places I checked out. Oh, and theres more random helpful information in the class of 2014 thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=634751&page=1

Congrats again!

Grats to you guys getting in!

I'm an M2 at NSUCOM--so if you have any questions while you frantically try to organize things over the next month: feel free to shoot me a message!