NSU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danimjo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The application season has started and although last year's school specific threads hold a wealth of info. I'd like to start some dialogue around this years application process! Good luck!:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck to those of you applying this upcoming cycle!

Just received the secondary today!

Doesn't seem too bad, but that probably just means they have a hell of a selection criteria for giving out interviews..

Good luck to everyone applying!!:thumbup:

Quick question though Cubbies,

How detailed were your descriptions for activities and such? Do the text boxes cut you off at a certain limit?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received the secondary today!

Doesn't seem too bad, but that probably just means they have a hell of a selection criteria for giving out interviews..

Good luck to everyone applying!!:thumbup:

Quick question though Cubbies,

How detailed were your descriptions for activities and such? Do the text boxes cut you off at a certain limit?

hey, honestly from what i remember, the easiest secondary i had was from nova. It was all information they could have pulled from my primary application. I do think they have a text limit, but my information, I thought was very generally stated. One bit of advice though, as soon as you turn in your secondary and have mailed other necessary information like the letter of recommendations and what not, just follow up with the admissions office. I called to see if they had gotten all of my information, and at first they said no, but the person on the phone double checked anyways, and said they did. And then about 20 minutes after I got off the phone, I had a interview date in my email.

Get your secondaries back ASAP!! That makes a huge difference in your chances. Also, follow up a couple of weeks after you send it (or sooner) and schedule your interview ASAP as well. That made all the difference for some people.

Get your secondaries back ASAP!! That makes a huge difference in your chances. Also, follow up a couple of weeks after you send it (or sooner) and schedule your interview ASAP as well. That made all the difference for some people.

Thanks for the input! My secondary is in, I'm just waiting for my committee LOR.... I hope they don't hold that against me!

They shouldn't hold it against you but I would keep checking with your committee and get that LOR out ASAP. Sometimes committees have to be reminded to keep the process moving along. Good luck!

A lot of schools will not process you secondary (thus not offer you an interview) until ALL application materials are collected. This means your LOR too! So keep on your committee members or letter writers to get them in as soon as possible!

Agree completely with aterry about following up with the schools, especially Nova. It seems to be a pattern that people will receive their interview invite via email the same day as they called to check on their status. Happened with me and many other M1's. Just dont be surprised if they dont asnwer, it will happen a lot.

Best of luck to all NSU hopefuls.

A lot of schools will not process you secondary (thus not offer you an interview) until ALL application materials are collected. This means your LOR too! So keep on your committee members or letter writers to get them in as soon as possible!

Agree completely with aterry about following up with the schools, especially Nova. It seems to be a pattern that people will receive their interview invite via email the same day as they called to check on their status. Happened with me and many other M1's. Just dont be surprised if they dont asnwer, it will happen a lot.

Best of luck to all NSU hopefuls.

That is for sure, you really have to sometimes just call over and over again till you find someone

Ooohhh I just got a semi-nasty email from my pre-professional committee. I checked in with them to see about my letter. I had given them a heads up that I would need the letter in April, and they told me to send them a copy of my application, my CV, and my personal statement once I had submitted my primary applications. They received that information two weeks ago. So I sent a quick note saying I just wanted to check in and see where they were in the process and if there was anything else I could do to help. The chair sent me a nasty reply saying that most members of the committee aren't on contract during the summer and believe it or not writing my letter wasn't their first priority and that I should not expect it before the end of the month, which would still be plenty early.

I don't know if anyone else is thinking about checking in with their committee, but based on the response I just got, I probably wouldn't do that again....

I am sorry you got that kind of response. Ironic that your pre-professional committee is not able to be professional about your concerns. I never had any trouble with mine when I asked where the process was. I don't think you did anything wrong. In fact, I think you did the professional thing by asking them if there was anything you could do and if they had all the necessary materials they needed. I think in your case though, you are right not to contact them further unless there is a problem since someone there has a problem with handling things in a professional manner.

I am sorry you got that kind of response. Ironic that your pre-professional committee is not able to be professional about your concerns.

Ironic is a great way to describe it, someone else on SDN said their pre-professional committee showed them some data from AMCAS that pointed out that most LORS were received in September with August and October being the second most frequent submission months... so its good to know I'll at least fall into the average, if not early....

That is for sure, you really have to sometimes just call over and over again till you find someone
I cannot open the secondary app because the file they sent me is corrupt. Did you guys have problems like this:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I cannot open the secondary app because the file they sent me is corrupt. Did you guys have problems like this:confused:

I did not have a problem, but have you tried to open it in another web browser? Otherwise I would just email the admissions office and see if they can re-send the file to you.

Anyone know how strict they are on getting a liberal arts LOR when your school has no pre-med committee? It has been ages since I have taken a liberal arts course! I emailed them, but no response yet.

the secondary app is in a file? i remember it being a website they directed us to so that we could fill it out, and save it if we needed to. But yeah, try calling the admissions office. The only problem I had was when i filled out my application, they send you a .pdf file of the application you filled out with your responses, and that was a corrupt file.

the secondary app is in a file? i remember it being a website they directed us to so that we could fill it out, and save it if we needed to. But yeah, try calling the admissions office. The only problem I had was when i filled out my application, they send you a .pdf file of the application you filled out with your responses, and that was a corrupt file.
Hi, I had filled out the secondary app with my responses and a few days later, they sent me a .pdf file of my completed secondary with responses and yeah, it was a corrupt file. So, it looks like you guys had same problem with .pdf last year.

Let me just say... I think every school's secondary should be like NOVAs! lol

Anyone know how strict they are on getting a liberal arts LOR when your school has no pre-med committee? It has been ages since I have taken a liberal arts course! I emailed them, but no response yet.

I was wondering the same thing! I also have no pre-professional committee letter; I have a d.o. letter plus a grad advisor, employer, and organic prof. I emailed them last week but haven't heard back either. I graduated from college in 2003, and haven't taken a liberal arts class since then. Let me know if you hear from them...

I was wondering the same thing! I also have no pre-professional committee letter; I have a d.o. letter plus a grad advisor, employer, and organic prof. I emailed them last week but haven't heard back either. I graduated from college in 2003, and haven't taken a liberal arts class since then. Let me know if you hear from them...

I went to undergrad at a HUGE Big-10 school and we didn't have a pre-med committee either, so if I remember right, I just sent a letter from a non-science professor and it worked fine. Hope this helps!

On the application, where they ask the institution of the DO physician you know, are they asking the hospital they currently work at, the school they attended, or the hospital they did their residency at?

last year it was the school they attended - im assuming its the same this year.

On the application, where they ask the institution of the DO physician you know, are they asking the hospital they currently work at, the school they attended, or the hospital they did their residency at?

I almost emailed them about that because I had the very same question, then I went back later and reread it and it seemed strangely clear.
I think it says something like the institution and year graduation...which I interpreted as where they went to med school and what year they graduated med school.
BTW, for DO's who are AOA members, you can look this up on the AOA website.:D

Received an e-mail saying that my file is complete...

Just got my interview here a few days ago. Anyone else going August 25th?

I contacted NOVA today and asked what the status of interviews was and if they started sending out invites yet. She told me they haven't and "won't send out the first batch until late August". ????? Either she was confused or someone there likes you very much!!! Anyone else get an actual INVITE to interview from NOVA???

Anyone hear about interview invites being sent out besides LECOM-Bradenton?

Last edited:
Did they contact you via phone? I submitted my app in late june and just recently received an email saying they have received my app and explained how to check the status which says decision pending. Is there another email they send when u r complete?

Did they contact you via phone? I submitted my app in late june and just recently received an email saying they have received my app and explained how to check the status which says decision pending. Is there another email they send when u r complete?

I got the same e-mail that you are referencing, but whenever I logged onto webstar the only status indicator was "decision pending;" in other words, I had no idea if there was anything missing.

So, I wrote the admissions office an e-mail, and 48 hours later got a reply that simply said,"your file is complete."

I got the same e-mail that you are referencing, but whenever I logged onto webstar the only status indicator was "decision pending;" in other words, I had no idea if there was anything missing.

So, I wrote the admissions office an e-mail, and 48 hours later got a reply that simply said,"your file is complete."

Same here. Email explaining how to check "status", which is decision pending. Emailed Admissions and they told me "File Complete". I don't know where this interview invite stuff is coming from. No other posts on it at all.

Same here. Email explaining how to check "status", which is decision pending. Emailed Admissions and they told me "File Complete". I don't know where this interview invite stuff is coming from. No other posts on it at all.

Yea, and based on last year's thread, there was nothing before August about anyone with an invite.

I am getting the feeling someone is try to mess with us. Either that or maybe it was for another program? ( dual degree if they offer that idk ? )

I am getting the feeling someone is try to mess with us. Either that or maybe it was for another program? ( dual degree if they offer that idk ? )

regardless of what it is, it's still cruel...

They said an employer LOR would be fine. :)

Most schools won't do anything before August with invites. Mid to late august is when interview invites really start going out. This is for two reasons. One is that there are just so many applications, but the second reason is that they want to wait until classes are in full swing with first years. Most of these people are helping out with getting the M1's oriented as well.

I can tell you now that I was the first week of interviews and that was on September 11 of last year. I was invited for the interview around the 2nd week of the fall semester, which was about the end of August.

They said an employer LOR would be fine. :)

good to know! thanks! they STILL haven't responded to my email, so im glad to have an answer!

good to know! thanks! they STILL haven't responded to my email, so im glad to have an answer!

Tell me about it, NOVA is a GREAT school but they are slower than most when it comes to communication.

Anyone hear about interview invites being sent out besides LECOM-Bradenton?

Yes Touro - NV is sending out interview invites pre-secondary, drop by that thread to read up on it... also there is a thread dedicated to interviews granted for this season you may want to start following the discussion on that thread as well.

did anybody get a "complete" email from nova yet?

did anybody get a "complete" email from nova yet?

I had to contact them. I called and was told that they didn't have either of my letters of recommendation. I emailed them later that day saying that my DO sent his letter 3 weeks earlier and NOVA had indeed downloaded my letter from virtualevals.

The next day I got an email saying my file was complete and "they weren't sure who told me it wasn't over the phone".

anyone know when they start scheduling interviews?
trying to only make one trip from CA to Florida and my lecom interview is 9-18. from last years posts, it looks like they don't give you very much advance notice.

anyone know when they start scheduling interviews?
trying to only make one trip from CA to Florida and my lecom interview is 9-18. from last years posts, it looks like they don't give you very much advance notice.

I was told by the admission office that the first batch of interview invites will go out in late August.

I was in the same situation, the last time I had taken a liberal arts class was 5 years ago. So I sent in 3 science prof letters, and wasn't told it was a problem, until way after i was interviewed and accepted. Around April or May they contacted me and told me they would need a liberal arts letter. Luckily enough i was able to scrape up a mediocre one, but I don't see how it was relevant at that point. It must of been to just check off a box in their system. So be aware if they let you slide now, you still will probably need it later, same goes with unfinished pre-reqs it seems. :luck:

I used my employer to write my LOR in place of the liberal arts. They were OK with it. When in doubt give them a call.

interview invite!!

i love blackberry, i don't need to sit in front of a computer to check my email all day.

August 20th

Last edited:
interview invite!!

i love blackberry, i don't need to sit in front of a computer to check my email all day.

Really you got an interview already? We had heard that invites wouldn't go out until August. Congratulations! When's the big day?

Now I have to book two flights to Florida .... Not a bad problem to have