Northwestern c/o 2009!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ndbosma04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

So we have a great old post about last years class with tons of info but I thought it might be nice to have a new thread for our class to get to know each other. So who else is super excited to move to chi-town?? :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everybody,

I cant wait to move to Chicago in August. I am moving in on the 1st. When is everyone else moving in? Have people started looking yet? I couldnt tell if I was early or late when it came to looking for apartments. But, I only found one convertible in the building I wanted. Where is everybody coming from?

woo woo!

can't wait! i haven't started looking for apmts yet, will start mid june

second look was great!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got back from chicago and they said it was a little early (by about a week) to look for Aug. 1st move-ins. BTW does anyone know if there's a roommate board for us anywhere? I'd really like to find a roommate but I'm not sure how to. Where are you guys looking at apts?

I am in the Lake Shore Plaza.

The decision has been made. I'll see you ladies and gents in August!

Feinberg | 2009

Hey guys,

I also recently made a decision to be a part of the class of 2009 at Northwestern and I'm really excited about living in Chicago. But I'm a little nervous about finding an apt...haven't really started yet. I'd also like to try and find a roommate but I have no clue about how to go about searching for one.

How was second look? I wish I could have been there.

everyday i spend an hour or two at work looking at places to live, things to do, what our schedules may be like... does anyone know when we get more info? why is august soooo far away...

so where are you all coming from? what are your expectations? how broke do you think we'll all be by the time we finish (they estimate that M2 and M3 will cost us around 70K)?

and when are you all moving out to chi-town?

evendry707 said:
everyday i spend an hour or two at work looking at places to live, things to do, what our schedules may be like... does anyone know when we get more info? why is august soooo far away...

so where are you all coming from? what are your expectations? how broke do you think we'll all be by the time we finish (they estimate that M2 and M3 will cost us around 70K)?

and when are you all moving out to chi-town?

keep in mind that for both M2 and M3 years you are enrolled for 4 quarters. They balance this out by making you pay for only 2 quarters during your M4 year. This is kinda standard at most med schools -- it averages out over the four years to be the same as most other private schools.

on another note like ctwickman and a few others here on SDN who still check back, I'm soon to me M2 at feinberg (i.e. i just finished my first year) -- so feel free to ask any questions about really anything. i might not be able to answer everything...but i'll certainly try or at least send ya off in the right direction. I'll mainly lurk in the background to avoid taking over your guy's forum to get to know each other. but do feel free to ask questions -- either in the forum or as a PM to me.

congratulations to you all!

I'm moving from Iowa City where my parents live (a thrilling place to be for the summer :cool: ) around August 1st. I'v been looking at apt.'s and haven't found a whole lot yet. Are you guys trying to live downtown? Everything seems ridiculously expensive down there but I want to be near school at least for the first year. Also, does anyone know what our schedule will look like? I know they told us that there is no more than 10 hours of lecture a week but I know there's a lot of other small group stuff and labs. Can't wait for August!!!

Hey, I'm heading to the FSM too and definitely want to live within walking distance (<1 mile) from the med school. I'm a 22 yr old dude, moving from Bloomfield Hills, MI (Detroit area) and just graduated from UofM Ann Arbor. I'm interested in splitting a place with some people so we can pay reasonable rent without living in a 300 sq ft coffin. I don't care if I share a place with a guy or girl as long as they're relatively chill, but I'm into sports and don't study 24/7 (there's just so much more to life) so maybe that helps. I'm currently out of the country, but will be back July 22 to meet up and check out places. I don't know anything about SDN, but I know a lot of people use it...so if you're interested, e-mail me at [email protected] so we can figure stuff out. Peace, and I'll see you all in the fall (hey...that kinda rhymes).

P.S. I got in off the waitlist as I was literally loading my luggage into the car for my overseas trip a week ago...so all you other star-crossed Northwestern lovers out there...don't lose hope!

congrats all, i'll see you as part of FSM's c/o 2009 :]

i am living in the onterie apartments.

-mark

p.s. check out my round-ass head (see avatar on left)

I'll also be heading to Northwestern this fall. I'm extremely psyched!!!

I'm going to find a place later this week.

skunk

PS- SD Skunk, how are there two skunks in the FSM class of '09? That's crazy!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey what do people thnink about starting a list that says where people are living? That way the people who dont yet have apartments can find out about buildings and the people that do can find out who lives near by them. Just an idea

One, other thing. I was just curious as to when people interviewed, because I have to talk to anyone on here nor did I meet anyone at Second Look Weekend that interviewed with me. I was Sept 28th

so NWU expects that we'll spend roughly $1200 a month for room and board ($700/month for rent). that seems like very very little to be living nearby, no? what are you guys paying for rent/planning on paying for rent?

i suspect that i will spend the next four years eating a lot of ramen and tuna.... again....

Hey everyone!!! I can’t wait to get to Chicago!!! I’ll be moving during the first weekend of August (August 6-7). I got a studio at the Lake Shore Plaza for $889. So, I’ll be joining evendry707 for ramen and tuna meals ;) . Among the places that I looked at, they were the cheapest in the Streetville area and the only one with student discount and no moving in fee. Do you guys know if we’ll get an information/orientation package? Has anybody received any kind of information like that?? Should I worry that I have not gotten anything yet??
Hope to see all of you in August!!!!

No worries coffeegirl, I dont think that anyone has gotten any sort of package. Just the news letters they send out every so often via email. I am lving in Lake Shore Plaza too. Where're you moving from? The logistics of moving is getting the better of me. Like finding a moving co. and stuff like that. Anyone have any ideas.

Is anyone looking at living in 1350/1360 N. Lake Shore? It's about a mile from school and is a really nice building and if we refer each other there's a $1000 bonus which would be sweet and make rent a little cheaper if we split it. So... anyone else? :D

hehe... i dont know about you all, but i no longer need an orientation packet. i am content knowing that the nwu.edu domain is being permanently removed from the university's domain server. :cool: ...

i've been thinking a lot about the whole moving process too. there are some good threads on SDN about the whole process. in addition to my own research, here are some suggestions:

1. U-Haul - i'm moving from california. U-haul will cost roughly $1300, before gas and tremendous trauma from driving half way across the country at 60 mph (not to mention the high probability of the piece of isht truck overheating during the summer). if you're closer - it's definitely cheaper and you get move a lot of stuff that way.

2. check out Valuemoves.com - i think they drop off a trailer for you (you pay them by how large of a trailer you want) and they put it on a big ass truck and move it for you, fully insured of course. for 5 feet of space, i was given a quote of $1175.

3. ABF - again, you get cargo space. just for kicks, i asked them how much it would be to move 500 lbs/768 cuft of stuff, which is a lot i think. they quoted me $1995. i could buy a really really nice TV for that much money.

4. leave the furniture at home and drive there yourself, packing all of your clothes and valuables tightly into your car. then drive out to the ikea in shaumburg, il and repurchase all of the budget furniture you bought to furnish your undergrad apartment for a price pretty comparable to the aforementioned movers' quotes. and then sell the stuff you have now to newbies in your fraternity for close to what you paid for! finally, with the money you would have spent on moving, buy this:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?whse=BC&topnav=&prodid=11036099&ec=BC-EC625-Cat2341&pos=0F
:D

Has anyone been able to login and check their northwestern email account? If so, could you post up the link to where I can go and login please?

Thanks! Can't wait for Aug. to roll around!

do you need your northwestern email for anything? northwestern has been sending me their junkmail to my hotmail account and they said that when we get to school, they'll tell us how to integrate the northwestern account w/ our other email. dun trip!

For '08 they activated email accounts during the first few days of O-Week -- likely on the first day, Monday August 22nd. They might be doing something different for '09 so do keep that in mind (odds are they won't but....ya never know)

In general you do need to set up your NU account (in response to evendry707's question). At the very minimum you need to set your [email protected] email account to forward to an account you check on a regular basis (say a gmail or whatever you have). The reason for this is that a lot of "official" emails either from instructors or administration will go out either via listservs or the Online Blackboard management system. You can add other email addresses to the listservs, but you *can't* add other addresses to what Blackboard stores. Thus you risk loosing a few emails here and there. Honestly, most stuff *does* go out via listserv so it's not that big a deal. If you're computer savvy, you can do your own thing and be on top of which listservs you're supposed to be subscribed to. If you're not a techie, it's easiest to just use your NU account as your primary email.

For future reference, there is an email portal at http://www.northwestern.edu/webmail

In general, students are split among the four central email servers (hecky, casbah, lulu and merle) all of which can be accessed at the URL above. But you need an active NetID and password -- which is what they give you as a printout (at least they did my year) on the first day of O-Week.

hopefully this wasn't too longwinded...sorry if it was...just tryin to help.

I was in Chicago last week finding housing. I'm such a follower — I'll be living in Onterie Center, just like the SD skunk. Geez, I'm starting to think that SD skunk and myself have a very special bond.

Anyway, being in the city for a few days got me really excited about living there for at least the next four years. Millennium Park is sweet. I randomly was in the park for a concert by the Grant Park Symphony Orchestra.

My move-in date is August 15th. I'm hoping that's not too late. Hope everyone is having a great summer.

woah, i was there last weekend too! the weather was amazing, and yeah, that outdoor concert was super cool. did you see all the old ppl sipping wine in lawn chairs?

btw, i'll be in mcclurg. see all of you guys soon!

Distinguished Colleagues,

I'm just starting to make arrangements to visit Chicago and pick out a place to live. Do you think I'll be left with the dregs of the apartment supply? Your opinions are welcome and valued. Thanks.

DZH

Hello Everyone,

Have there been any mailings (electronic or paper) from NU for vaccinations, housing, etc? Thanks! Looking forward to meeting you all in August!

derzornhistolog said:
Distinguished Colleagues,

I'm just starting to make arrangements to visit Chicago and pick out a place to live. Do you think I'll be left with the dregs of the apartment supply? Your opinions are welcome and valued. Thanks.

The apartment supply around the area is so massive and diverse that the moving in/out of the NU law/med student body is but a mere drop in the bucket.

Hey fellow NUers,

I will be settling into my apartment sometime in early august (10th), and I was wondering if anybody would be interested in hanging out before orientation begins...

I'll be busy with lots of moving-related stuff to take care of, but I definitely expect some down time. Is anyone else in the same position as me? It'd be cool to use this time to get to know some future classmates.

what do you think? maybe we can organize some sortof gathering/party (I'd definitely be up for planning or hosting it)

-Dave

PS Some info about me -- I'm a 2004 University of Chicago graduate, so I am very familiar with the downtown area if anyone needs advice, etc. I'll be living in a cool apartment in the west loop/fulton market neighborhood called lake street lofts. its about a 10-15minute busride from campus. My roommate is Avi, a good friend from the UofC who's accepting a day-trading position for a Chicago stock-options trading firm called Peak6.

Hey fellow NUers,

I will be settling into my apartment sometime in early august (10th), and I was wondering if anybody would be interested in hanging out before orientation begins...

I'll be busy with lots of moving-related stuff to take care of, but I definitely expect some down time. Is anyone else in the same position as me? It'd be cool to use this time to get to know some future classmates.

what do you think? maybe we can organize some sortof gathering/party (I'd definitely be up for planning or hosting it)

-Dave

PS Some info about me -- I'm a 2004 University of Chicago graduate, so I am very familiar with the downtown area if anyone needs advice, etc. I'll be living in a cool apartment in the west loop/fulton market neighborhood called lake street lofts. its about a 10-15minute busride from campus. My roommate is Avi, a good friend from the UofC who's accepting a day-trading position for a Chicago stock-options trading firm called Peak6.

I am in, as well.

Hey, coffeegirl, I tried to send you a message last night. But, SDN would not let me for some reason.

So, I will keep it short, am at work.

Moving in on the 1st, probably just going to use Co. listed. Don't know if we can use other companies. I am working for a hospital over the summer. You?

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

I'm definitely up for hanging out before school starts! I'm psyched to meet everyone and start school again. I hate working :sleep: Anyway, I'm moving on the 12th to a place on dearborn about a mile from school. Can't wait to meet you all!

cool--so we should definitely hang out. we can plan something in the next few weeks for early august (after Aug 12th?)...

PS kakashi -- yes, I remember one mailing regarding vaccinations. It included several forms to be filled out by your doctor... unfortunatly I lost my letter, so I'll have to contact the health services office I guess to get a new one.

another thing: what does everybody think about computers? I'll be buying a new laptop, but I wasn't sure what kind to get. would a TabletPC be worth it for a medschool student?

i'm down too. moving in late july/early august. anyone else gonna be furnishing ikea-style?

i got myself a thinkpad T42. it's about a 100-200 premium over other brands, but it's thin, reputable, blah blah blah. you've heard it all. tablets are hot too. i think we're taught on powerpoints, so it'd be nice to scribble all over the slides

thanks for the advice;

yeah, i took a look at the IBM site and I was impressed with their tablet PC... very lightweight and 6hr battery!

yeah that ibm tablet's tight. so are toshibas.

btw, do you guys know if NU has a gym? where are you guys gonna work out? im not too thrilled with the prices of gyms in that area

I'm down for hanging out when I get into Chicago. I move in on the 16th(I know, very late), so anytime after that would be fine with me.

It looks like I'm gonna buy an apple powerbook. Anybody else an apple person?

Okay, looking forward to meeting everyone!

it'd be great to meet some of you beforehand! i won't be in until a few days before orientation though... i get back from honeymooning on the 13th and then ive got a few days to pack, say goodbye to people, etc. before moving to chi-town.

i just came back from a little housing search and dood... i have to say... we are the luckiest med students alive. northwestern is so dope and downtown chicago is incredible. my fiance and i walked around the mag mile, checked out millenium park and even caught the end of one of the free concerts at pritzker pavillion. the entire time, i was thinking, "i can't believe we will be living right here"

and damn! chicago is CLEAAAAAN!!! (compared to san francisco... not to hate though cuz i dont think anyplace on earth beats the bay area)

anyway, looking forward to meeting you all!

I can't belive I didnt know about this board until now! I am usually all over this Internet stuff like white on rice.

Regardless, I feel it only appropriate to introduce myself. My name is Ellen, and I am not only from the Chicago area, but I attended NU for undergrad as well, so I am fairly well versed in the ways of Chicago suburbia. Next year I will be living in McClurg, which is where I heard alot of other med students live as well. I will be moving into my apt August 17, but and just hanging out in Evanston till then.

So if anyone has questions about anything Chicago-related, I am your girl (or if you want free tickets to Ravinia Festival)

see everyone soon,
Ellen

PS: Am I the only one who gets INTENSE nostalgia pangs circa freshman year from a board like this?

Hey KalebMD,
I am doing summer school and a little volunteering at a community clinic. I'll be moving on the 6th...maybe you could help me move in my stuff :D ;) kidding... :p
So, I heard that some Med schools make all their incoming students buy the same computer...seeing all the talk about computer here..I would conclude that this is not the case for NU...does anybody know for sure if this is really the case for NU? ( just don't want to buy a computer and then realize that I was supposed to buy something else)
Thanks...I'll see you all soon

Hello everyone,

Just got back from Chicago...and I couldn't agree with you more evendry, its VERY clean. Much cleaner than other big cities on the east coast (NY, Boston). Its a great area with lots to do. I'll be living in City Front, which is a little farther away than most of the other places, but I heard that there are a lot of students in the building. I have a great view of the lake though, so I bet its worth it.

I'll be moving in somewhere around the 15-17. I hope we can all hang out before orientation officially starts and explore Chicago together.

Hope to see you all soon!

Just to keep this post vital, as it were, I'll tell you a little vignette about the ridiculous goings-on in the life of one of your new classmates (me).

Yesterday, I worked about 14 hours (17 if you include transport and breaks) as an extra for a film called 'Silence', which is being shot in Toronto. I did it mainly for the experience of working on a picture show, and I must say, it was more horrible than I could ever have imagined. Warnings and words of discouragement before the fact were plenty, but, regrettably, my youthful vigour (and stupidity) got the best of me.

Even more disturbing than my 'acting colleagues' evil verbal frothings - which assaulted my ears for most of those 17 hours - was the treatment we received from our overseers. I found the rich blend of condescension and scurrilous sass to be somewhat philosophically unsettling, since most of the people barking orders at us were low-tier stage-lackeys of one form or another. I wondered whether this hierarchical collectivism was the sine qua non of these people's sense of self-worth; if so, rocking the boat would not end well. Pride being one of the seven cardinal sins - which I generally try to eschew, thankfully nothing was hurt. (thanks to John Kennedy Toole for that last line...)

Arriving on set, my enthusiasm was initially bolstered by news that I would be working on a horror film of the 'Child's Play' variety. I learned all too soon that my glee was folly. It turns out that it doesn't make a lick of difference what kind of movie or scene you're in; by take 120 your soul begins to wither. For this reason, I am tempted to believe that most of my acting colleagues are otherwise unemployable. How else could they tolerate such prolonged lassitude? In truth, I think it's more probable that non-ACTRA, seasoned extras just love of the game; they have a kind of fascination with the vocation which is so robust that they can suffer through sick and sadistic work scheduling and conditions, pitiable remuneration and often egomaniacal bosses. I may be able to tolerate all these things, but not for the sake of Hollywood.

All this being said, I suppose my misadventure has at least effectively quashed whatever dreams I had about becoming an infomercial quack.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying." - Woody Allen

Figured I would follow in the spirit and give a snapshot of my last two days.

Yesterday work at the office started out as usual. I work pretty much as a gopher for a hospital affiliated internal med practice. I, instead of calling in scripts and giving patients test results, decided to sit at the front window. And, from there the comedy began.

One of our doc's has been gone for two weeks, and it was his first day back, which made him none too happy. So, we were packed. Almost 70 patients were scheduled, not to mention the walk-ins we get sometimes. The morning was going well, my charts were up to date, my coworker who sits behind me was answering the phone in a somewhat timely manner, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Then I noticed our 11:30 standing at the window and moaning, she stopped oddly, said hello to everyone, and then commenced moaning again.

As luck would have it, she also had insurance changes and myriad of other problems with her chart, none of which she could help with. So, as the line to my window began to grow, each patient grew to have more of a worried look on his face. Finally, the MA called her into the back. With each step she got louder and more combative, but thankfully made it into a room. After about 10 min, our doc appeared, declaring he couldn't see her. So, back to waiting room she came. The poor woman was disabled, so we had to call a transportation company to pick her up and take her to the hospital. The moaning escalates, other patients leave, and then too top it all off, her driver will not take her. So we call an EMS unit to transport her down to the hosp. psych floor, and decide to bring her back into a room.

Its downhill after there. The drug rep bringing lunch freaks out because we are in the room next to her eating lunch. She eventually has a full breakdown and starts throwing things and has to be restrained. The schedule falls apart, and I end up working until 7, a full twelve hours after I arrived.

Today was much less eventful with a dentist vist in the morning and only a half day of work.

13 more days until I move to Chi town!

so just wondering... has anyone received any new information regarding... anything? for example when and where does orientation begin? im pretty sure we start on the 22nd, but beyond that i am clueless.

also, how much are you all spending on your rent? are you all leasing studios cuz 1 bdrms seem to be going for over a grand. when i went to visit last weekend, i checked out this placed called the shoreham....... ooooooh damn it was tight. but $1450?!?! probably too much luxury for a poor medical student huh?

since you are all sharing little personal anecdotes, ill share one too. i've been coughing for the past two weeks - smoking at my bachelor's party probably didn't help it much. i went to see my primary care physician who prescribed me some antibiotics. it hasnt been getting much better so when i talked to her today, she said it might be pruritis.

i didnt think anything of it cuz i was in the car when she called, but when i got home, i started thinking... PRURITIS?!?! :laugh: as in pruritis ani? ITCHY BUTT?!?!?!?!

i hope i just heard her wrong....

i did hear her wrong. PERTUSSIS - whooping cough. :D

but can you imagine telling that to a patient with a straight face?

"You have prutisis ani - itchy butt"

okay... back to rest.

Hey is anybody up for chatting on AIM? It'd be nice to get some NU students on my list (especially considering I'm doing nothing but bumming around for the next couple weeks...!)

my screenname is davidbpage

ttyl

My AIM SN = NUMed09

Tacky, I know.

Hey guys,

I'm up for something in mid-August. I'll be moving into McClurg Ct around then.

Hope everyone got the latest mailing - is anyone going to the Lake Geneva retreat?