Non-Traditional student applying 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shampoodler

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some feedback far in advance for the best ways to round out my application. I am a postdoctoral fellow doing cancer research, and I completed my PhD about a year ago. I always wanted to go to vet school, and my displeasure in academia is steering me back. I'm looking to pursue a small animal comparative oncology research/clinical position in my future.

My gpa for undergrad was reasonable (3.7) and the same for grad school (3.65). I took the GRE many moons ago but will need to re-take it (my scores were decent, 160 quant 163 verbal if I can recall).

I have a lot of diverse experience, but some feedback would definitely help. I'm shadowing at a number of clinics, including primary care, vet oncology, ER, critical care, and surgery. I'm also volunteering at the humane society and an equine rescue farm that rehabilitates abused horses. I have lab animal vet shadowing, as well as experience working with mouse models in my research. I'm trying to shadow some larger animal labs at work, but there's no guarantees. I think I can probably get to ~300 hours of shadowing at 300 of animal experience comfortably by app time, maybe more.

I also have a lot of mentoring experience and community outreach from grad school. Are there other types of useful experiences I should go after, or should I just try to maximize my shadowing and animal experience hours? I work a full-time job and shadow and volunteer when I am not working. I cannot do any international trips that cost thousands of dollars and require a bunch of time off. Does anyone have any useful feedback or tips for me? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Girl, you’ll be fine :biglove:

Get as many vet hours as you can (without burning out) and diversify with species if possible. The bulk of my hours were small animal (general practice, ER, low cost) but I think having some ambulatory equine/large animal and exotics helped a lot! I was able to pull those experiences into many of my essays and I didn’t really realize how influential they were until I started my applications. Like you, I was working full time in an unrelated career (engineering) while preparing to apply so I sacrificed a lot of weekends and vacation time to get diverse experiences but looking back I personally think it was worth it. And schools will see you’ve done all these things while employed full time in an unrelated field.

Also, your GPAs are stronger than mine and you are more educated than me, and I had multiple acceptances. And because you mentioned it, I didn’t do any international vet trips because money and time so I don’t think that’s a deal breaker.

Oh, and I’m sure you’ll have strong recommendations! I tried to pick people that knew me well in different aspects of my life and I believe that benefited me. I went with 2 science professors, a small animal vet, an equine/large animal vet, the president of a non-profit I’ve been with 7 years, and an engineering boss. Just food for thought :)

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with engrsc, your academics are great and sounds like your shadowing hours are varied. I'd focus on making sure that you have a vet who will write you a strong letter of recommendation. You should have good options from your post doc/PhD for academic recs that tie in nicely with your future goals.

What schools are you considering? That will help people be able to give advice. Each school prioritizes different aspects of your application.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some feedback far in advance for the best ways to round out my application. I am a postdoctoral fellow doing cancer research, and I completed my PhD about a year ago. I always wanted to go to vet school, and my displeasure in academia is steering me back. I'm looking to pursue a small animal comparative oncology research/clinical position in my future.

My gpa for undergrad was reasonable (3.7) and the same for grad school (3.65). I took the GRE many moons ago but will need to re-take it (my scores were decent, 160 quant 163 verbal if I can recall).

I have a lot of diverse experience, but some feedback would definitely help. I'm shadowing at a number of clinics, including primary care, vet oncology, ER, critical care, and surgery. I'm also volunteering at the humane society and an equine rescue farm that rehabilitates abused horses. I have lab animal vet shadowing, as well as experience working with mouse models in my research. I'm trying to shadow some larger animal labs at work, but there's no guarantees. I think I can probably get to ~300 hours of shadowing at 300 of animal experience comfortably by app time, maybe more.

I also have a lot of mentoring experience and community outreach from grad school. Are there other types of useful experiences I should go after, or should I just try to maximize my shadowing and animal experience hours? I work a full-time job and shadow and volunteer when I am not working. I cannot do any international trips that cost thousands of dollars and require a bunch of time off. Does anyone have any useful feedback or tips for me? Thanks!

I too applied to vet school as a second career. I had very few vet hours and used the disadvantage statement to explain that all my time was used working and going to school part time to complete prereqs.

I think I had some very strong LORs which were a big factor and getting one from your boss/employer can really show who you are. Also, I think schools will really like your past oncology experience; especially with your interest in vet onc.

I think you’d be a great candidate; don’t let your non trad status bother you! My class has several people in their 30’s and even more in their late 20’s. A few of us are coming from beyond vet med too. I figure we’re not getting any younger so reach for your dreams now before you get too old and regret not doing it!

You certainly don't need anything like an international trip to get into vet school, so don't even worry about that.

Your stats sound great; I agree with @EngrSC that you have an excellent shot at getting in. And I second everything that @J.Bed said about embracing a new career!

Actually -- what do your pre-reqs look like in terms of completion and recency? (I'm assuming your undergrad degree was in the biological sciences...?)

Back when I was applying, I found a few schools to be more "non-trad friendly" in terms of the number of pre-reqs they wanted and how long they would accept those pre-reqs.

If you graduated from undergrad within the past 5 years, you will likely be fine everywhere, but beyond that, make sure you carefully check the pre-req fine print for each of the schools you plan on applying to.

Thank you everyone for the encouraging replies! I really appreciate it!! I know I can get strong LORs from my PhD adviser, postdoc adviser, and other profs/colleagues along the way, so I think that aspect will be strong. I'm definitely focusing on getting a good letter from a vet as my top priority now. I'd say the biggest struggle I'm having with shadowing is doing enough hours with one person to establish a good relationship without totally burdening them by asking to be there all the time.

My top choice is VMVCM because I'm a Maryland resident. I'm considering others where you can switch to in-state after a year, except OSU (which makes me sad because I spent a year for my PhD there and loved it, but it's so $$$). I've been clearing my preqreqs with people to be sure- VMVCM has already said I'm good, so I'm happy about that. The woman who corresponds on the pre-req questions email has been great at answering my questions. I was a little worried with an English requirement that she said I could swap my humanities class for if it was mostly writing...it was but I'm not sure how they would be able to tell that on my application?

Luckily, most schools I'm looking at don't have time limits on the prereq classes. It was actually OSU who said I'd have to petition to make sure my courses would all count (I did undergrad 2009-2013). But they're off my list now so no sweat.

Thanks again to everyone for the replies :)

Hopefully since you have the pre-req questions answered from VMVCM in writing that you're good to go there and they will be able to figure it all out on your application. :)

You might want to check on each school's policy for what counts as veterinary experience. For instance NC State states: "Veterinary experience is experience working under the supervision of a DVM or PhD research scientist. Animal experience demonstrates an applicant’s experience working with animals while NOT under the supervision of a DVM or PhD research scientist. " That could significantly boost your experience hours.

I was accepted to (as a non-resident) and am attending VMCVM :love: They seem to really like non-traditional students so you have that on your side! Their admissions essays are beastly so feel free to message me in the future if you need help or want feedback!