Newer programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shino’s Beetles

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have information about newer programs that started 3 years ago or more recently? Been hard to curate information about them. I'm looking for information on Cape Fear (Fayetteville, NC) and Community Medical Center (Toms River, NJ) in particular but other newer programs welcomed too.

Members don't see this ad.

Can't tell you personal experience but I've heard that Cape Fear is getting ortho residency. Not sure how that will change the dynamics of things.

I haven't been to cape fear, but friends and classmates who have really did not like it there.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Cape Fear ortho attending when the DPM resident asks to scrub with them
Martin Scorsese Thriller GIF by Filmin

Reactions: 1 users
Actually at CRIP, I always ask students questions about other programs they thought were good and why. Cape Fear was pretty much the talk of the class and they all said what a great experience it was with good faculty.

Ortho are giant pieces of turds to the DPMs, I was told by Dr Director when I was there , we were told there was no planned ortho program. Basically DPMs get the non insured/under insured trauma patients, while ortho PA would chart hawk every foot and ankle trauma with insurance.

The DPMs there are very well surgically trained and great educators, but limited by a hospital system who just wants to milk them. i feel bad for my friends still there.

$50k salary in an expensive area of NC due to the military base doesn’t go far. Not a great area, very boring. Only pleasant thing is Raleigh is 50-60 minute drive, very fun city.

Ortho are giant pieces of turds to the DPMs, I was told by Dr Director when I was there , we were told there was no planned ortho program. Basically DPMs get the non insured/under insured trauma patients, while ortho PA would chart hawk every foot and ankle trauma with insurance.

The DPMs there are very well surgically trained and great educators, but limited by a hospital system who just wants to milk them. i feel bad for my friends still there.

$50k salary in an expensive area of NC due to the military base doesn’t go far. Not a great area, very boring. Only pleasant thing is Raleigh is 50-60 minute drive, very fun city.
My understanding is the residents are getting a 15% increase in salary this year according to the program director.

Actually at CRIP, I always ask students questions about other programs they thought were good and why. Cape Fear was pretty much the talk of the class and they all said what a great experience it was with good faculty.
Interesting! Its always unique how different people can go to the same program and leave with different conclusions. I will say that in an interview type situation or an externship, I would be hesitant to say how I really feel about a program especially if I didn't like it. A mentor I have said something along the lines of "if you come in badmouthing another program I'm worried that you'll leave my program and badmouth us".

That being said I have a few budides who went to cape fear and I'll have them post their review and let them say how they really feel, for better or for worse lol.

edit: Please don't put my account on hold for committing wrongthink

Last edited:
Wake is the much better of the NC programs.... both are severely handicapped by ortho, as mentioned.
Wake has a few dynamite attendings with great training and respect... though they do have a lot of mouths to feed.

...in general, leave the new programs for other students. Take a proven good commodity if at all possible.
If it comes down to new program versus proven fair/poor ones, then that's your call, I suppose.

Reactions: 2 users
I did a clerkship at Community in NJ when I was a student. Hospital is old, cafeteria sucks- but the attendings were great to me. Good diversity of cases. The assistant director, young female whose name escapes me, was one of the best surgeons I've seen to this day. They were taking 3 residents I believe which was too many for a new program IMO. I strongly considered them, ranked them high. Definitely look into them if prospective student.

I did a clerkship at Community in NJ when I was a student. Hospital is old, cafeteria sucks- but the attendings were great to me. Good diversity of cases. The assistant director, young female whose name escapes me, was one of the best surgeons I've seen to this day. They were taking 3 residents I believe which was too many for a new program IMO. I strongly considered them, ranked them high. Definitely look into them if prospective student.
Seems like one practice donates its attendings to this program.
First time I've ever seen DPM multi-specialty group :rolleyes: .... "preventative foot and ankle care"----great way to spin C&C but that person did a "valuable experience in lower extremity reconstructive surgery, foot and ankle trauma, diabetic limb salvage, wound care and both forefoot and rearfoot elective surgeries. She attended courses and received extensive training in arthroscopy and multiple surgical techniques.".... sounds like she is working for the wrong practice if thats all she's relegated to.

Seems like one practice donates its attendings to this program.
First time I've ever seen DPM multi-specialty group :rolleyes: .... "preventative foot and ankle care"----great way to spin C&C but that person did a "valuable experience in lower extremity reconstructive surgery, foot and ankle trauma, diabetic limb salvage, wound care and both forefoot and rearfoot elective surgeries. She attended courses and received extensive training in arthroscopy and multiple surgical techniques.".... sounds like she is working for the wrong practice if thats all she's relegated to.

But this is the reality of most grads and the current market. There isn’t going to be 600 TAR patients eagerly waiting for the 600 new grads. Will not happen.

But this is the reality of most grads and the current market. There isn’t going to be 600 TAR patients eagerly waiting for the 600 new grads. Will not happen.

But there’s definitely 600 TTR patients out there. See avatar for clarification.

• Haha
Current cape fear resident here- was my #1 for the down to earth attendings and high case volume. No idea where any of those bad ortho comments are coming from. They’re starting an ortho residency but it shouldn’t affect us. Idk man… I’m just here cutting stuff up and doing cool cases 🤷‍♂️

Current cape fear resident here- was my #1 for the down to earth attendings and high case volume. No idea where any of those bad ortho comments are coming from. They’re starting an ortho residency but it shouldn’t affect us. Idk man… I’m just here cutting stuff up and doing cool cases 🤷‍♂️
NC programs are good, but he is right. I know from experience. Ortho groups have a lot of pull, in every hospital, especially Cape Fear. Now you have more residents probably easier to chart hawk. Either NC hospital will make you competent and skilled, training is good.

Bumping thread. Looks like they have a first year residency spot if anyone has any additional info

Bumping thread. Looks like they have a first year residency spot if anyone has any additional info
People transfer for multiple reasons etc... Wouldn't speculate for speculation sake. I just looked at open positions, definitely the best available pgy1 spot. Some PMSR resident may luck out and get into a real program. XD