Newer graduates and surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medic244

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon. I know that this may be on a case-by-case basis; however, how much surgery can one expect to do, in practice, with everyone now finishing with a three year residency. For example, is two days a week in the OR unreasonable? I know that this profession has a wide range of folks out there practicing, with 1 year preceptorships to those with three year residencies and a fellowship. It is great to see uniformity and having all individuals having three years of PG training, similar to the MD's/DO's.

Members don't see this ad.

Good afternoon. I know that this may be on a case-by-case basis; however, how much surgery can one expect to do, in practice, with everyone now finishing with a three year residency. For example, is two days a week in the OR unreasonable? I know that this profession has a wide range of folks out there practicing, with 1 year preceptorships to those with three year residencies and a fellowship. It is great to see uniformity and having all individuals having three years of PG training, similar to the MD's/DO's.
As you mentioned, there will be a wide range of surgery schedules. 2 full surgery days is above average, but there are people who do it. I'm sure there are a few outliers that have more OR time than that, but it's rare. For a new graduate to have that much would be even more unusual. I have one scheduled day a week of OR time and I usually don't fill it all, but I typically do a few unplanned cases during the week as well. My residency director had essentially 2 full days and squeezed in a few during lunch or after hours on the other days. Those opportunities are there, but they're not the norm and overall the rate of elective surgeries will probably decrease a bit for the profession as a whole.

Thank you. Why do you expect elective surgeries to decrease?