New Macbook Pro or Ipad Air/Pro?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sayole

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting med school this fall and I'm debating whether to get a new Macbook Pro or an Ipad Air/Pro. My Macbook's on the older side (from 2013) but has no noticeable issues other than the trackpad occasionally checking out on me (I use a mouse to supplement). I don't know if I should get a new Macbook on the slight possible risk that my macbook somehow ends up dying on me while in school or whether I should get an Ipad Air/Pro+pencil for ease of note-taking. Currently, I'm leaning towards the Ipad just because my current macbook works just fine...I'm also open to getting a new laptop+tablet hybrid as well.

For people who have both, what do you rely on more heavily to take notes?

Members don't see this ad.

I used my ipad almost exclusively to take notes. My MBP i used to watch the lectures.

I'm starting med school this fall and I'm debating whether to get a new Macbook Pro or an Ipad Air/Pro. My Macbook's on the older side (from 2013) but has no noticeable issues other than the trackpad occasionally checking out on me (I use a mouse to supplement). I don't know if I should get a new Macbook on the slight possible risk that my macbook somehow ends up dying on me while in school or whether I should get an Ipad Air/Pro+pencil for ease of note-taking. Currently, I'm leaning towards the Ipad just because my current macbook works just fine...I'm also open to getting a new laptop+tablet hybrid as well.

For people who have both, what do you rely on more heavily to take notes?
The new MacBook Pro is a rip-off, 1300 base model has an almost 4-year old CPU, and if you want the most recent CPU from Intel, be ready to cough up at least 1800. However, an Ipad will not be a total laptop replacement, so either way, you will need to get a more reliable laptop. The Macbook Air 2020 with the i7 and 16gb of ram would be my suggestion. If you are comfortable with windows, the new Surface Book 3 or Surface Pro 7 would be great alternatives.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are considering an iPad, you should first check to make sure you can take exams on it at school. Most schools use some sort of secure exam software (Examsoft for my school and many others). My school personally did not support iPads for exam taking, so everyone needed a dedicated "laptop". This likely varies from school to school.

My personal advice - if your mac works just fine, save the money. No reason to get a brand new computer. I have a 2013 macbook Air (still works great) and an iPad mini. Aside from using my iPad to watch boards and beyond or pathoma at home in bed, making food, or in shower, I never used it in class or to take notes. I find iOS too clunky for any sort of serious productivity. Sure, a larger screen and Apple pencil might make the experience better, but my personal experience watching classmates showed me that it was more hassle than anything. I printed off and hand wrote my notes on slides, just worked best for me.

If you HAVE to get a new computer and want to stay within the Apple ecosystem, I always recommend buying from Apple's refurbished store. My last few Apple products have come from there and I've had zero issues.

Otherwise, many of my classmates had positive things to say about the Microsoft 2-1 tablet/computers. These also worked fine for taking exams.

Reactions: 1 users
Absolutely love my new iPad Pro 12.9 with Apple Pencil. Makes taking notes so easy

The new MacBook Pro is a rip-off, 1300 base model has an almost 4-year old CPU, and if you want the most recent CPU from Intel, be ready to cough up at least 1800. However, an Ipad will not be a total laptop replacement, so either way, you will need to get a more reliable laptop. The Macbook Air 2020 with the i7 and 16gb of ram would be my suggestion. If you are comfortable with windows, the new Surface Book 3 or Surface Pro 7 would be great alternatives.
I have the 2018 Air and i went with it over the MBP because of price and specs.. Pro was still more expensive and CPU was older.

Reactions: 1 user
Surface book or Lenovo thinkpad. Macbook is so overrated IMO. Ipad is solid for rotations and notes but surface book or think pad is better for notes and you get to do way more on it.

I got a new iPad Pro + apple pencil for school but kept my macbook pro (granted it was only 1-2 years old). I love using my ipad to take notes in class. I do what someone else mentioned--watch lecture on the laptop, take notes on the ipad. For me it works great.

Two in 1, most economical option: surface book (use as tablet for note taking + PC for watching lectures/anki etc)

It's worth it to invest in a tablet. good for saving paper/having your notes automatically synced and in one place during preclinical and for rotations as well.

macbook + iPad is the most expensive option - not worth it. My school gave us an iPad so I just bought a decent PC and downloaded OneNote for both. If I didn't get the iPad I would go with surface book.

Get an Ipad Pro and a cheap PC laptop. I saw the MS3s and MS4s using it to take notes for rounds and I thought it's the slickest thing. I have an old ipad and I have all my books in pdf forms on there. Easier to carry around in the hospital to read/study. I use my ipad way more than my laptop as a resident.

Reactions: 1 users
Soo guys, help!

I broke my ipad lol i dropped something onto it and the screen smashed.

I am not going to attempt to replace the screen myself... i will damage it further.

Do i send it in for repairs or just get a new one? I have the 2016 9.7” ipad Pro

Soo guys, help!

I am not going to attempt to replace the screen myself... i will damage it further.

Do i send it in for repairs or just get a new one? I have the 2016 9.7” ipad Pro
New one

Would a 12.9 ipad pro + Apple pencil be sufficient to take to class, or would I also need a keyboard? I have a laptop but would prefer to bring just one device

Soo guys, help!

I've seen phone repair shops that will do it. Idk about price but I imagine $100 or less.

Would a 12.9 ipad pro + Apple pencil be sufficient to take to class, or would I also need a keyboard? I have a laptop but would prefer to bring just one device
Honestly, it's a personal preference. In preclinical years I only ever used a stylus (Started pre-clinical before the apple pencil) and wrote everything. Some people prefer the look of typed notes.

Just pick one, don't overly fret about it. A thousand dollar iPad doesn't cure a one dollar memory. Focus on what matters.

I would go with the macbook pro. They keyboard and functionality is just more than a simple iPad and this is coming from someone who has both. The iPad is nice for notes but I find myself using my macbook way more during 3rd/4th years. Typing on an iPad isnt the greatest.

My surface book 2 is amazing in every aspects.