MacBook Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biohazardz

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I start med school next fall and my 2015 macbook air does not meet the requirements for my school, shocker I know. I am looking at getting another MacBook so it can be easily integrated with my iPad that I already have. My question for you all, what is your experience with you and your colleagues using macbooks in your classes. Do they work for any test taking software or any software in general for the curriculum? Also, I don't know if anyone has an opinion on 14" vs 16" and also am leaning towards the pro model. I value longevity, but it is also a lot more expensive. I know this is a lot but any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Haven't had any issues with any exam software. Also an apple silicon air is more than sufficient for med school, a pro isn't necessary

Reactions: 1 users
Agree that an Air is fine, unless you're doing imaging or video work. You don't need a Pro. Last Air update was 2022, so a new Air M3 is certainly due sometime before fall '24. However the difference between the current M2 and next model M3 is much much smaller than between your "old" Air and an M2. You can save some bucks, maybe, and purchase the current model at discount. Get 512GB SSD rather than 256GB (there are performance issues). Also, if you have multiple applications open at the same time, it might help to have 16GB memory rather than 8GB.

Getting an external monitor is a game changer with respect to ease of use & productivity when at home. A 27" 4K monitor can be found for less than $300, and save the $$$ you'd otherwise spend on a Macbook Pro.

Carrying a 13" Air around to the library or wherever is a lot easier than a 15" Air.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree that an Air is fine, unless you're doing imaging or video work. You don't need a Pro. Last Air update was 2022, so a new Air M3 is certainly due sometime before fall '24. However the difference between the current M2 and next model M3 is much much smaller than between your "old" Air and an M2. You can save some bucks, maybe, and purchase the current model at discount. Get 512GB SSD rather than 256GB (there are performance issues). Also, if you have multiple applications open at the same time, it might help to have 16GB memory rather than 8GB.

Getting an external monitor is a game changer with respect to ease of use & productivity when at home. A 27" 4K monitor can be found for less than $300, and save the $$$ you'd otherwise spend on a Macbook Pro.

Carrying a 13" Air around to the library or wherever is a lot easier than a 15" Air.
Ah yes I forgot to mention I have a PC I built with 2 big displays at my apartment. So I would only be using it when I am actually at school, which I am sure solidifies your point even further.

Unless you're doing Professional and high volume video and imaging work*.

The Macbook Air with an M2 chip is fine. works great.

Most test taking software requires about as much CPU processing as a toaster.

Reactions: 1 user
Ah yes I forgot to mention I have a PC I built with 2 big displays at my apartment. So I would only be using it when I am actually at school, which I am sure solidifies your point even further.

M2 Air.
Don't bother with the 512 upgrade as it's 200 bucks. You're going to need a dongle as it doesn't have Type A USB only type C. So just have a 500gb usb gen 3 flash drive in your dongle pouch for quick storage and access as 256gb does quickly fill up.

Reactions: 1 user