New Chapman University accepted 90% of students interviewed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Besides Chapman, what other pharmacy schools have 100% admit rate? Sullivan? California Northstate?
South College in Knoxville and South University (GA). Owned by brothers. The deans ask for anyone who wants to be a pharmacist, and target minority centers and clubs for recruitment. Ex-felons are not ruled out.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Instead of talking and doing nothing; Can we star a petition to arrest this bold greed happening. Gregory Boyer of ACPE has said he canon stop schools opening (free market). How does he evaluate quality? Most Board members are old men and women just jostling for titles and allowances. We cannot talk forever, lets do something. A petition at Change.org should start. Anyone? Although you will be expelled if your school finds your name there. If I can get support, lets start. Pharmacy professionals, stop being pancies.

Is it really free market or overt money laundering? These $65,000/year is from the federal loans.

I say we abolish pharmacy school and change it to a six week vocational program, accepting only the finest high school dropouts and/or former drug addicts who have found Jesus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Often times when a prescriber calls me about a prescription/patient, I am going into their profile to look at it. Also, many pharmacists try to do multiple things at one time. Having other professionals belittling other professionals doesn't solve anything. We help to protect each other.

I apologize to any pharmacist that I have offended. I have been in practice for over 15 yrs. I had great respect for pharmacists in the past but the new batches are not very good. I am just speaking from experience. The Retail side is even worse.

Maybe whoever is offended should look at all of the these schools opening up to collect money that is gutting your profession.

Reactions: 1 users
I apologize to any pharmacist that I have offended. I have been in practice for over 15 yrs. I had great respect for pharmacists in the past but the new batches are not very good. I am just speaking from experience. The Retail side is even worse.

Maybe whoever is offended should look at all of the these schools opening up to collect money that is gutting your profession.

They are gutting it because they can get away with it. We are doing nothing about it.

This is exactly what we are all complaining about, hence the purpose of this thread. We would definitely like to put a stop to all of these new pharmacy schools cashing in on student loan money while churning out sub-par pharmacists.

This is what I hate about people in academia:

If you look at the Pharmacist Manpowr study, there is not an oversupply of pharmacists. There is slightly more jobs nationwide than there are pharmacists.

But in addition, we started Chapman because we feel there is a need for pharmacists who are better skilled at communicating with patients, providing care to patients, being an effective member of the health care team, and actually caring about patients. We are creating new pharmacists for a new era in Health Care.

Don't get mad at us for pushing the boundaries of what value pharmacists can bring to the health care system.

Associate Dean Larry Brown is also the current APhA president. He doesn't talk about the horrible working conditions. Instead he talks about training a generation of new pharmacist that will be needed to fulfill these "emerging" jobs while accepting subpar students to his new pharmacy school.

Why doesn't he get out there and find these emerging jobs. Do it and get back to us.

Instead of talking and doing nothing; Can we star a petition to arrest this bold greed happening. Gregory Boyer of ACPE has said he canon stop schools opening (free market). How does he evaluate quality? Most Board members are old men and women just jostling for titles and allowances. We cannot talk forever, lets do something. A petition at Change.org should start. Anyone? Although you will be expelled if your school finds your name there. If I can get support, lets start. Pharmacy professionals, stop being pancies.

Is it really free market or overt money laundering? These $65,000/year is from the federal loans.

Do you not mean "cannot"?

Why doesn't he get out there and find these emerging jobs. Do it and get back to us.

He'll probably just advocate to make a PGY3 residency mandatory for inpatient staffing. Luckily you will still be able to work PRN at a CVS with just a PGY2.

How high does PGY go up to? 3? If a school kicks a pharmacy student out for starting a petition, can the student sue the school?

Last edited:
How high does PGY go up to? 3? If a school kicks a pharmacy student out for starting a petition, can the student sue the school?
The school will not say that is why they kicked you out, but will go on a witch hunt to find every little wrong way you looked at someone and find fault. Now, if you start a petition, you can use a pseudonym; the law allows students just to do that. After all, unless they catch you doing it, it can easily be you cousin's girlfriend's daughter.

Do you not mean "cannot"?
Yes, I mean that. Boyer and Vlasses say their mandate is not to stop schools. Theirs is to check quality, then Boyer turns around and says, the quality will go down, so it is up to the student to decide. But in a Pharmacotherapy paper by one ACPE insider, what these folks have come up with are very unclear confusing standards that they can not use to stop anyone from opening a school.

A pharmacy school can be started in a BAR.

Members don't see this ad :)
what if everyone on this fourm started a pharmacy school and staffed it ourselves just for the hell of it lmao

This is what I hate about people in academia:

Associate Dean Larry Brown is also the current APhA president. He doesn't talk about the horrible working conditions. Instead he talks about training a generation of new pharmacist that will be needed to fulfill these "emerging" jobs while accepting subpar students to his new pharmacy school.

What perplexes me most is that if he were truly concerned about training a generation of new pharmacists to have a "particular skill set," why wouldn't he try to improve curriculum at an existing PharmD program? That's what baffles me. No one asked him why he isn't trying to implement change in the existing academic programs. It's clear that he feels the most appropriate way to improve pharmacist care is to increase the number of pharmacists, which is beyond explanation other than $$$. Chapman is not a god-awful university, but it's deleterious to our profession to open a pharmacy school there in particular considering the pressures that exist.

What perplexes me most is that if he were truly concerned about training a generation of new pharmacists to have a "particular skill set," why wouldn't he try to improve curriculum at an existing PharmD program? That's what baffles me. No one asked him why he isn't trying to implement change in the existing academic programs. It's clear that he feels the most appropriate way to improve pharmacist care is to increase the number of pharmacists, which is beyond explanation other than $$$. Chapman is not a god-awful university, but it's deleterious to our profession to open a pharmacy school there in particular considering the pressures that exist.

I think it's a lot simpler than that. He got a nice salary from Chapman, which is located in the beautiful Irvine, CA. He took it. The well established schools rarely have openings. A lot of the professors/dean rarely retire.

I think it's a lot simpler than that. He got a nice salary from Chapman, which is located in the beautiful Irvine, CA. He took it. The well established schools rarely have openings. A lot of the professors/dean rarely retire.

I can't (and wouldn't) refute that at all. Honestly, I wonder if I would do the same if I were in the same situation.

He got a nice salary from Chapman, which is located in the beautiful Irvine, CA.

Nope, it's about 15 minutes north in Orange, unless they opened it in a satellite somewhere in south county.

Nope, it's about 15 minutes north in Orange, unless they opened it in a satellite somewhere in south county.

No nop, it's a yup. They are are in irvine

"Welcome to Orange County’s first School of Pharmacy! Located on the Harry and Diane Rinker Health Science Campus in Irvine, California"

RINKER HEALTH SCIENCE CAMPUS:
9401 Jeronimo Road
Irvine, CA 92618

https://www.chapman.edu/pharmacy/

No nop, it's a yup. They are are in irvine

"Welcome to Orange County’s first School of Pharmacy! Located on the Harry and Diane Rinker Health Science Campus in Irvine, California"

RINKER HEALTH SCIENCE CAMPUS:
9401 Jeronimo Road
Irvine, CA 92618

https://www.chapman.edu/pharmacy/

What the hell. ANOTHER pharmacy school located in a damn corporate park?

There's this intangible aspect of school that is inherently tied to its location on an actual campus (+ or - undergrads), whether it's Zonal Ave., Parnassus, or Gilman Dr....doesn't matter.

But when your damn neighbors are.... RBF Consulting, Chinese Community Baptist Church, and Pacific Pest Control? C'mon....that's just cheapening the experience.

That's just sad. I like Chapman too...but c'mon, this isn't a pharmacy school, this is a now a corporate pharmacist making machine.

The last "corporate park" pharmacy school we were talking about on here was California Northstate.

What the hell. ANOTHER pharmacy school located in a damn corporate park?

There's this intangible aspect of school that is inherently tied to its location on an actual campus (+ or - undergrads), whether it's Zonal Ave., Parnassus, or Gilman Dr....doesn't matter.

But when your damn neighbors are.... RBF Consulting, Chinese Community Baptist Church, and Pacific Pest Control? C'mon....that's just cheapening the experience.

That's just sad. I like Chapman too...but c'mon, this isn't a pharmacy school, this is a now a corporate pharmacist making machine.

The last "corporate park" pharmacy school we were talking about on here was California Northstate.

Even Chapman is getting into the game by building a pharmacy school in a strip mall. Chinese Community Baptist Church is their neighbor? LOL

I bet you it didn't even cost them that much money to set up this crap. Just from their first class: 79 students x $65,000 in tuition = more than $5 M.

I know some students are naive but did you really think the next generation of pharmacists will be training out of a strip mall?

Where is Lawrence Brown now? He was all over this forum telling students he is going to train them for these emerging jobs.

What can I say, I'm kind of an elitist. I get that I didn't even show up to class half the time and watched lectures in my underwear at home (how's THAT for strip mall), but Jesus people...part of the university experience is the buzz you feel walking around campus & associated medical center that is a beehive of activity.

Like...you gotta drive 30mins+ in traffic to interface with people in the MBA program? Oh please tell me Chapman has a joint MBA program in the offing. That would be a ****ing waste if they didn't.

Ugh. At least there's a Yardhouse and Dave & Busters down the street for these kids to drink their sorrows away.

Would Chapman try to lure PharmDs in the future by offering combined JD/MBA programs?

Everybody knows dentists have the greatest skill set. When you have an abscess the size of my left nut (trust me its quite prominent) growing from your face, who else can treat you and take you out of the pain the same day? The greatest "doctor" in town i.e., your friendly dentist! To be a pharmacist the only skill you need is to be able to count to 30...maybe 45. To be a medical doctor, you only have to figure out how to write a referral or a prescription for antibiotics or cough medicine. Dentists aren't just tooth carpenters, they are true american heroes.

Everybody knows dentists have the greatest skill set. When you have an abscess the size of my left nut (trust me its quite prominent) growing from your face, who else can treat you and take you out of the pain the same day? The greatest "doctor" in town i.e., your friendly dentist! To be a pharmacist the only skill you need is to be able to count to 30...maybe 45. To be a medical doctor, you only have to figure out how to write a referral or a prescription for antibiotics or cough medicine. Dentists aren't just tooth carpenters, they are true american heroes.
I am assuming this is a piss poor attempt at trolling?

Somebody is butt hurt teehee. Pharmacy...the only "doctor" that I can ask for "medical" advice and also ask which aisle the tampons are in as well.

Last edited:
Somebody is butt hurt teehee. Pharmacy...the only "doctor" that I can ask for "medical" advice and also ask which aisle the tampons are in as well.

We usually direct people to call central supply in the basement if their floor is out of sanitary supplies.

Seriously though...who the heck asks their pharmacist for medical advice. I usually say "hey man, what time can i come back to pick this up?"

Seriously though...who the heck asks their pharmacist for medical advice. I usually say "hey man, what time can i come back to pick this up?"

I get asked about appropriate empiric abx regimens all the time ::shrug::

I get asked about appropriate empiric abx regimens all the time ::shrug::

Why? Doctors and dentists know as much about drug regimens as pharmacists do. Why should I trust your judgement over mine?

your feeding a troll

No trolling here. This is a fact. The depth of pharmacology learned in medical school and dental school is identical to the curriculum that a pharmacist is exposed to. I know you find it hard to believe that a tooth carpenter knows just as much pharmacology as you do.

No trolling here. This is a fact. The depth of pharmacology learned in medical school and dental school is identical to the curriculum that a pharmacist is exposed to. I know you find it hard to believe that a tooth carpenter knows just as much pharmacology as you do.
ya - nope

You attempt to over glorify the qualifications of pharmacists in a thread about how a pharmacy school accepted 90% of the applicants. The fact is, pharmacology is taught to an equal extent in medicine, dentistry, and pharmacy.

You attempt to over glorify the qualifications of pharmacists in a thread about how a pharmacy school accepted 90% of the applicants. The fact is, pharmacology is taught to an equal extent in medicine, dentistry, and pharmacy.
ok - wise one, I will bite -
1. what is the difference in spectrum between zosyn and merrem?
2. What is your local e coli susceptibility to levaquin vs keflex?
3. What are the new goal LDL's in the ATP IV guidelines? (what medication is recommended to get your there?)
4. What paralytic should be avoided in a patient with DKA?

go!

This proves nothing. You could have easily looked this up on the electronic pharmacist, cough...google...cough. Can you tell me where I can find the condoms and twizzlers?

This proves nothing. You could have easily looked this up on the electronic pharmacist, cough...google...cough. Can you tell me where I can find the condoms and twizzlers?
good thing I really don't care what people like you think

I never asked if you cared about my opinion. Pharmacists are always trying to defend how "hard" their profession is. Relax and enjoy the fact that you make 80 to 100 grand watching your pharm tecs move the pills from the big bottle to the little bottle. Better than being stressed out about people dying (physicians) or looking in a person's dirty mouth all day as they complain to you how much they hate the dentist!

I never asked if you cared about my opinion. Pharmacists are always trying to defend how "hard" their profession is. Relax and enjoy the fact that you make 80 to 100 grand watching your pharm tecs move the pills from the big bottle to the little bottle. Better than being stressed out about people dying (physicians) or looking in a person's dirty mouth all day as they complain to you how much they hate the dentist!
only 80 to 100 grand? hell, I have made over that for the 12 years I have been out of school - I would laugh if somebody offered me anything less than 130k, and I don't have to supervise techs.

only 80 to 100 grand? hell, I have made over that for the 12 years I have been out of school - I would laugh if somebody offered me anything less than 130k, and I don't have to supervise techs.

Thats besides the point...

Don't forget the benefits like insurance, 401 k matching, stock discount. $130 k is just the salary.

not really? you brought up salary

No I arbitrarily inserted a number there. I could have put in a salary of $23892349291023920391 in and it would not have changed the idea of my statement. So that you understand -> my point is you guys should enjoy doing little to nothing important while making tons of money :)

No I arbitrarily inserted a number there. I could have put in a salary of $23892349291023920391 in and it would not have changed the idea of my statement.

sweet I would take $2389234291023920391

but only if I got 8 weeks vacation as well

sweet I would take $2389234291023920391

but only if I got 8 weeks vacation as well

But lets be real now. No pharmacist makes that much money. You only make over 100k because you are a 12 year man who got out before the **** show that pharmacy has become. 90% acceptance rate? Pathetic. No BS degree needed to enroll? Give me a facking break. Seems like now a days to become a pharmacist the main trait is the ability to count to 100 and the ability to accept being bored out of your mind. The majority of pharmacists in the future will be working the graveyard shift at cvs or walgreens pondering why the hell they even got into this profession in the first place. I'd probably have a good chance of finding a qualified applicant over at the local zoo.

But lets be real now. No pharmacist makes that much money. You only make over 100k because you are a 12 year man who got out before the **** show that pharmacy has become. 90% acceptance rate? Pathetic. No BS degree needed to enroll? Give me a facking break. Seems like now a days to become a pharmacist the main trait is the ability to count to 100 and the ability to accept being bored out of your mind. The majority of pharmacists in the future will be working the graveyard shift at cvs or walgreens pondering why the hell they even got into this profession in the first place. I'd probably have a good chance of finding a qualified applicant over at the local zoo.

Night shift at CVS rocks!!!! you get to deal with drug addicts, and corporate initiatives all in one setting. I remember this poor drug addicted guy who wanted to pull a gun on me. I pulled out my bible and we had this long talk and he found God. That gives me a warm fuzzy every night when I go to bed. You can't talk to you patients because you have your hands and other contraptions in their mouth, How can you help them find God?

Lol I just replied so he would waste time typing

Night shift at CVS rocks!!!! you get to deal with drug addicts, and corporate initiatives all in one setting. I remember this poor drug addicted guy who wanted to pull a gun on me. I pulled out my bible and we had this long talk and he found God. That gives me a warm fuzzy every night when I go to bed. You can't talk to you patients because you have your hands and other contraptions in their mouth, How can you help them find God?

As a dentist, I may not be able to help my patients find god but at least I actually have patients hehe.